View Full Version : Journal Record change

streuli
07-17-2007, 12:02 PM
There was a thread here last year regarding OKC area newspapers and their respective Web sites. Ours, as we knew, was particularly cumbersome. The new site is live today and all content, including the archives, is free for the time being. You don't even have to register.

We'll be interested in feedback.

The Journal Record - Home (http://www.journalrecord.com)

Martin
07-17-2007, 12:08 PM
i like it. the only thing i can think of is perhaps if the page background were a slightly darker shade of blue then perhaps the page content would 'pop out' a little more. glad to see somebody still uses coldfusion, my favorite app language to work with.

-M

metro
07-17-2007, 12:08 PM
I think this is a very smart move for the Journal Record for long-term viability. It's obvious that most business newspapers have had at least some free content for years. I think Step 2 would be for the JR to lower their subscription rates so the common folk can purchase it.

streuli
07-17-2007, 12:09 PM
We tried lighter, darker and none. Consensus was this one was best. Phase II will have some more features, but there's no target date yet.

Martin
07-17-2007, 12:11 PM
that's cool... obviously color is going to be subjective and you can't please everyone. i think it's a great design. -M

streuli
07-17-2007, 12:11 PM
$169/yr = $14.08 per month. Pretty reasonable for a daily paper, really.

Misty
07-17-2007, 12:19 PM
I like it so much better. Good job!

Martin
07-17-2007, 12:26 PM
ok, ok... i've got a bad habit when it comes to minding my own business... check out this picture (http://members.cox.net/magnvs/pics/jr.jpg) to see what i was talking about. don't get me wrong, i think the design looks good... just making suggestions! -M

Kerry
07-17-2007, 05:23 PM
I am just happy the content is free, even if it won't last. It could be courier font on white background if I can read it for free.

striker
07-17-2007, 06:08 PM
needs more work on the design and color. The blue is harsh. Good progress though!

bombermwc
07-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Ive found a lot of things that dont work. The vote poll on the front page, the links to the staff directory. The give JRun errors...perhaps JBOSS isn't running properly?

Luke
07-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Love the RSS feed!

MadMonk
07-19-2007, 11:06 AM
I like mmm's suggestion. The drop shadow (or whatever it's called) really helps it stand out on the page, IMHO.

Everything seems to be working for me.

streuli
07-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Ive found a lot of things that dont work. The vote poll on the front page, the links to the staff directory. The give JRun errors...perhaps JBOSS isn't running properly?

Bomber: The glitch you encountered was resolved that same day, I believe. It had to do with the old site still being on the backup server and the primary server going down briefly -- or something like that. I'm not the technophile. Please let us know if you encounter any further issues so we can have IT take a look.

Thanks,
Ted

metro
07-26-2007, 07:21 AM
steuli, I have another issue for you. The "printer friendly" version of an article appears printer friendly in the print preview box, but when you try and copy and paste the article. It bunches it all up and takes all the spacing out of the article. Basically for instance if I wanted to copy and paste an article to an online forum, say OKCTalk, when I paste it, instead of looking the the original article, it's one big paragraph including the title of the article, author, date, etc. Your website is the only website I've seen that does that.

bombermwc
07-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Bomber: The glitch you encountered was resolved that same day, I believe. It had to do with the old site still being on the backup server and the primary server going down briefly -- or something like that. I'm not the technophile. Please let us know if you encounter any further issues so we can have IT take a look.

Thanks,
Ted

Awesome Streuli...works great

BricktownGuy
08-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Really like the new site.

I would say the online version should be available much cheaper. Yes.. I aware the online version is 112.00 but... JR is not having to print out actual copies. (they are saving alot of money so pass it on)