View Full Version : Oklahoma Marine Reservists Headed To Iraq

OkieKAS
07-14-2007, 12:43 AM
Oklahoma Marine reservists are headed to Iraq, and families said their goodbyes Friday morning in southeast Oklahoma City.

It's the first time many of the 131 Marines, who are leaving for the war in Iraq, will see combat in this war, authorities said.

One-half of the Fox Battery, 2nd Battalion, 14th Marine Regiment left on a plane headed for California early Friday -- one last stop in the United States before deploying to Iraq. The other half of the battery will leave Friday afternoon.

They will spend seven months in Iraq operating a new rocket system. These troops were supposed to leave on Monday, and they said these delays are tough on everyone.

"You prepare yourself physically, mentally, emotionally, and they say, 'Well, we're leaving a week later.' It's bittersweet. You get another week with your family, but then you have to say your goodbyes and prepare all over," said Staff Sgt. Christopher Cossey.

If you would like to leave a note of encouragement for these Marines, post it to our message board.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-14-2007, 01:00 AM
I probably know 1/3 of those guys.

CCOKC
07-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Every time I'm in an airport I see these soldiers either leaving or coming back. I am also struck by how young they are. They barely look older than my 15 year old son. Let's all say a prayer for the safety of our young men and women that have volunteered their service and sometimes their lives for our freedom.