View Full Version : Reggae fest in Bricktown

johnnyboyokc
07-13-2007, 12:07 AM
OK now bringing up a controversy topic........however should reggaefest be cancelled?

No The result of what happened on that day a year ago was not directly linked to brewer ent event..........it was a pre existing problem that BT director Frank Simms (on News 9) agreed upon and not a result of brewer ent reggaefest........the same prob still exists just like july 4 when brewer ent was at the airpark........

Misty
07-13-2007, 07:31 AM
What problem? I wasn't here last year. Details details please...

Easy180
07-13-2007, 07:59 AM
What problem? I wasn't here last year. Details details please...

Oh just some innocent and fun gunfights in Bricktown one of those nights is all Misty

Couple people got shot...All in good fun

Actually I think it was some teens who were hanging outside one of the clubs in B-Town and had nothing to do with the festival

Think one of them got shot in the butt if I remember correctly

Misty
07-13-2007, 09:01 AM
What? At a reggaefest? The reggaefests I've attended have all always been about peace and love man, peace and love. With heavy clouds of ganja smoke hanging in the air and drum circles. Yeah, it seems more likely what you said about the teens and then it just got blamed on festival participants. Anyone heard the Killer Bees???? Rude boy...... And I am dying to see Stephen Marley at the ACL Festival!!!!!!!

metro
07-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Yeah that shooting was related to a specific club and was a one time rare event. It had nothing to do with Reggaefest. Haven't heard of any shootings before or after that incident in Bricktown.

metro
07-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Just a reminder that Reggae Fest is this weekend.

dismayed
07-26-2007, 09:44 PM
I was there and it was not a fun event.. I don't plan on going back this year. It was basically wall to wall gangstas and high school wannabe's. I think there were actually 2 or 3 shooting incidents, or at least 1 shooting and a few other gun-related incidents because we saw several things go down that all appeared to involve guns.

The OCPD did a fine job that day, and I was very happy to see them out in such full force, but the crowds (which by the way were largely not paying to go into any bars and clubs... just kids roaming around downtown) were wholly unenjoyable.

kmf563
07-27-2007, 07:19 AM
that's why you go early. you go across the street to get cheaper beer, you go to the festival when the gates open and it's free, then you leave by 8 or so when the night rugrats start showing up and causing problems.

metro
07-27-2007, 07:46 AM
I don't remember hearing about any shootings/ gun problems dismayed. Can you back up your claim with evidence in the media? There has only been one shooting as we've discussed before in Bricktown, and it was not related to this incident.

dismayed
07-29-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm not crazy dude:

OKC's Bricktown works to avoid repeat of summer violence Journal Record, The (Oklahoma City) - Find Articles (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4182/is_20070613/ai_n19291595)

You can also search this forum... it was discussed at length here last year when it happened. Perhaps the curfew will help things out this year.

Dave Cook
07-30-2007, 12:18 AM
I went on Friday night and had a nice time.

Some interesting people watching...that's for sure.

Turanacus
07-30-2007, 04:32 PM
Reggae Fest is a good idea however there shouldn't be an admission charge. It should be a 'open' festival. I know it's harder to make money like that but with it being in Bricktown it just looks tacky being gated off from the public. If there's an admission charge is should be in a traquil setting like Tulsa's, OKC should host it along the river.

johnnyboyokc
08-10-2007, 02:48 AM
The police asked brewer ent to charge an admission after 7 to keep all the freeloaders out.........that is why!!! That was a compromise from what simms and maish(bricktown waiter turned lawyer)wanted.....Reggaefest was a benefit to Bricktown and that showed when Frank Simms got voted out 12 to 1............It is amazing how an honest man can sell his business in Bricktown and turn the whole assoc. around!!!!!!!!

metro
08-10-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm not crazy dude:

OKC's Bricktown works to avoid repeat of summer violence Journal Record, The (Oklahoma City) - Find Articles (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4182/is_20070613/ai_n19291595)

You can also search this forum... it was discussed at length here last year when it happened. Perhaps the curfew will help things out this year.

yes dismayed, I am aware of what happened LAST YEAR in 2006 as we've already discussed. But your claim above stated that there were 2-3 shooting incidents and "gangstas". Furthermore, to my knowledge there has only been one documented shooting incident in Bricktown (read the article you quoted) and that was again, last year. It seems your posts are out to tarnish Bricktown. I'm not a fan of Bricktown personally, but at least I get my facts straight. Here I'll refresh your memory in case you don't care to scroll up a few posts.

07-26-2007, 10:44 PM
dismayed
Participating Member Join Date: Dec 2006
Total Posts: 252

Re: Reggae fest in Bricktown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was there and it was not a fun event.. I don't plan on going back this year. It was basically wall to wall gangstas and high school wannabe's. I think there were actually 2 or 3 shooting incidents, or at least 1 shooting and a few other gun-related incidents because we saw several things go down that all appeared to involve guns.

The OCPD did a fine job that day, and I was very happy to see them out in such full force, but the crowds (which by the way were largely not paying to go into any bars and clubs... just kids roaming around downtown) were wholly unenjoyable.

dismayed
08-10-2007, 10:01 PM
yes dismayed, I am aware of what happened LAST YEAR in 2006 as we've already discussed. But your claim above stated that there were 2-3 shooting incidents and "gangstas". Furthermore, to my knowledge there has only been one documented shooting incident in Bricktown (read the article you quoted) and that was again, last year. It seems your posts are out to tarnish Bricktown. I'm not a fan of Bricktown personally, but at least I get my facts straight. Here I'll refresh your memory in case you don't care to scroll up a few posts.

First, cool the caps dude, no need to get your panties in a wad.

Second, I was there. Were you?

Third, do some research. Here's another article from a news station. It states that there were three separate shooting incidents that night, and two people were injured in two of the three shootings:

Shootings in Bricktown leave 2 injured (http://www.kten.com/Global/story.asp?S=5218468)

I'm not sure why you are picking my post apart, but whatever the case the fact is there were multiple shootings that night. Last years event was not a fun event. I simply said I wasn't planning on going back because of that. Perhaps it was a negative thing to say, but I think it was on topic considering. To be real blunt, your last post upsets me. If you're going to accuse me of lying, at least spend the 2 seconds it takes to Google up some facts and make sure you know what you're talking about.

I'm glad to hear that this years Reggae Festival went better for the city. Perhaps I will consider going next year.

venture
08-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Dismayed isn't really that far off from the facts. I was at Harkin's getting out of a movie (Pirates 2) when things were going down. Walked out and saw a couple groups of people dressed in their nice solid colored clothes. I went to school in the central city back east, I know who they are. :) It wasn't long after diverting our course by the Sonic building that we had two people run by us screaming and then heard two shots go off. Yeah not a fun night. It took a lot to go back to Bricktown after that night...but we have, but we are gone by the time the sun goes down.