View Full Version : Meeting scheduled to organize urban market garden cooperatives

jpeaceokc
07-12-2007, 11:47 PM
URBAN MARKET GARDEN COOPERATIVES WILL ORGANIZE IN CENTRAL OKLAHOMA

A meeting will be held Sunday, July 29th, at 3 PM at the home of David Rushton (8025 NW 30 in Bethany) to discuss forming one or more urban market gardening cooperatives to grow and sell vegetables directly to the public in central Oklahoma.

"The demand for locally grown vegetables is far ahead of the actual production in Oklahoma," says Robert Waldrop, president of the Oklahoma Food Cooperative. "We want to jump start economic opportunities for folks in central Oklahoma who would like to develop a part-time business that could become a full-time income. The Small Plot Intensive method is perfect for urban market gardeners. Capital and land requirements are low."

Pioneered in Saskatoon, Canada, the Small Plot Intensive method utilizes small plots, intensively cultivated, to produce vegetables for direct sale to customers. In Canada and elsewhere, growers are earning upwards of $50,000 per half acre. Typically, the plots are much smaller than a half acre, and are scattered about an urban area.

Persons interested in developing a part time or full time business growing vegetables for direct sale to the public should attend this meeting. Future meetings will be scheduled in eastern Oklahoma County and Norman.

For more information, contact Bob Waldrop, 405-613-4688, bwaldrop@cox.net . More information about the "SPIN Farming" concept can be found at SPIN-Farming (http://www.spinfarming.com) . The Oklahoma Food Cooperative website is Oklahoma Food Cooperative - Local Food, Local Farmers - Farmer's Market, Natural, organic, health, sustainable, locally grown, meat, vegetables, nuts, produce, bread (http://www.oklahomafood.coop) .

(end)

metro
07-13-2007, 07:46 AM
I was driving through the Paseo and other historic neighborhoods the other day. I noticed one of these "small plots" around 30th and Shartel if memory serves me right.