View Full Version : Bricktown McDonalds proposal not welcomed

Pages : [1] 2 3

metro
07-12-2007, 07:18 AM
I'm not sure who moved the other Bricktown McDonalds thread but anyhow, here is an update. I'm glad the Bricktown Design Committee is starting to get with it. I wish Urban Renewal would do the same. I don't have a problem with McDonalds opening up a new location somewhere in downtown, and frankly, I'm surprised they haven't yet. I do agree it needs to be a very very if not exclusively pedestrian friendly location.

McDonald's arguments fail to warm BricktownBy Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer
Oklahoma City's Bricktown Urban Design Committee vowed Wednesday they will oppose a "typical McDonald's” with a drive-through proposed for the east end of the entertainment district.

Committee members voted to continue consideration of the project at a future meeting – even as representatives warned they may not return.

Ben Aguirre, the fast-food giant's area construction manager, and Kris Fullerton, area real estate manager, both argued their plans matched development on the south side of Reno Avenue in Lower Bricktown.

"This is at the corner of a major intersection,” Fullerton said. "It's not like we're in the cozy area, where people are walking.”

Fullerton then displayed photos of pedestrians walking along what she described as a "cozy area” on Mickey Mantle Drive and of empty sidewalks along Reno Avenue.

Background to rules
Committee member Avis Scaramucci responded she believes that "cozy area” will extend farther east along Reno Avenue.
"Our requirement is to be more farsighted than to look at what exists today,” Scaramucci said. "As businesses go up along there, you will see more pedestrian traffic.”

Committee member Bob Bright objected to arguments by Fullerton that they should judge the McDonald's design against Bass Pro Shops and Residence Inn in Lower Bricktown. Design south of Reno is regulated by the Urban Renewal Authority (URA), not the Bricktown Urban Design Committee.

"They were horrible mistakes, and they created an environment that detracts from what Bricktown is,” said Bright. "I would not approve at all of the vehicular traffic coming in and out from Reno there. We've been trying to avoid the mistakes made on the south side of Reno.”

Committee member John Yoeckel said he is looking at the future of east Bricktown, which includes a proposed $200 million urban town center proposed by RedHawks owners Bob Funk and Scott Pruitt on a parking lot between the AT&T Bricktown Ballpark and the proposed McDonald's. He also dismissed a path proposed from the restaurant to the sidewalk as a sufficient nod to pedestrian needs.

"We want to extend the character of the Bricktown core as we go,” Yoeckel said. "The fact that (the RedHawks lot) is a blank parking lot today is not relevant today. It's important that your site be truly a pedestrian oriented site. Placing your building in the middle of the site and have sidewalks extending across the parking lot is not making it a pedestrian friendly site.”

Fullerton cited traffic counts of 14,000 vehicles daily at nearby Lincoln Boulevard and Reno Avenue as proof the area is already oriented toward vehicles, not pedestrians, and said new downtown residents and employees at the nearby Oklahoma Health Center won't want to walk three blocks for a meal at McDonald's.

Fullerton also dismissed pleas by committee members to consider following the example set in Lower Bricktown by Sonic restaurants. The competing fast-food operator opened a dine-in only eatery in Lower Bricktown, with no drive-through and only parking behind the building. Fullerton responded Sonic considered the dine-in location only because it didn't have enough room for a drive-through.

URA Executive Director JoeVan Bullard, contacted after the meeting, confirmed a drive-through was never considered as part of the Lower Bricktown Sonic during the area's development planning.

"I think we're at different mindsets,” Fullerton said. "Our stockholders have an expectation. We're a publicly held company and drive-throughs are a critical part of our business. We want to be visionaries as well. But our vision may be with the traffic counts at Lincoln Boulevard.”

Assistant City Planner John Calhoun offered a compromise plan that would still allow for a drive-through, but said it was not considered by McDonald's. The fast-food company has a long-term lease for the proposed $2.5 million restaurant, and the continuance would allow for the project to be considered by the committee at its next monthly meeting.

"I do not expect to be back,” Aguirre said. "You can never say never, but I highly doubt it.”

Misty
07-12-2007, 08:23 AM
It seems like several things that were posted over the weekend disappeared, including a lot of comments.

Karried
07-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Examples please? I'm not sure what posts or comments are missing. Did you do a search? I haven't moved anything nor deleted any posts or messages. I don't think anyone else has either.

metro
07-12-2007, 01:12 PM
An example would be the other McDonalds thread possibly relocating to Bricktown. It's no longer here in the Bricktown forum. It should be just one or two posts down with not much action going on in this forum. It was only posted last weekend, and as you can see, most posts on the first page in the Bricktown forum are are older than that.

AFCM
07-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Has anyone ever been to the Mickey D's near the San Antonio Riverwalk? If so, would you consider that acceptable for Bricktown or downtown OKC? I remember the restaurant being very pedestrian-friendly, but it reminded me of every other McDonald's across the country...nothing special. I'd say no to Mickey D's opening up if they're going to build a cookie cutter design like that.

Off topic: Where's the McDonald's that pretty much straddles the interstate? It's in Oklahoma and, if I recall correctly, it's the largest McDonald's in the world. I'm not saying I'd want it in Bricktown; just that I'll never forget a visit to that fast food restaurant.

okclee
07-12-2007, 09:31 PM
The only way I would like to see a MCD is it they were to build a five story building and they would operate out of the lower level.

I still won't be surprised to see Bricktown get a MCD, and soon to follow a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

AFCM
07-12-2007, 09:34 PM
That's if we're lucky. I was kind of expecting a Dollar General, assuming we griped enough about not having retail.

okclee
07-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Coming Soon to Bricktown:

Wal-Mart
McDonalds
Dollar General
Pawn Shop
RV Parks
Bass Pro Bait and Tackle
Toby Keith Saloon
Motel 6
Super 8
IHOP
Golden Corral
BINGO Hall

I am sure there will be more soon.

dismayed
07-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Committee member Bob Bright objected to arguments by Fullerton that they should judge the McDonald's design against Bass Pro Shops and Residence Inn in Lower Bricktown. Design south of Reno is regulated by the Urban Renewal Authority (URA), not the Bricktown Urban Design Committee.

"They were horrible mistakes, and they created an environment that detracts from what Bricktown is,” said Bright. "I would not approve at all of the vehicular traffic coming in and out from Reno there. We've been trying to avoid the mistakes made on the south side of Reno.”

I am so glad to finally hear someone connected with a Bricktown board finally admitting this. My faith in the process is restored.

Doug Loudenback
07-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Examples please? I'm not sure what posts or comments are missing. Did you do a search? I haven't moved anything nor deleted any posts or messages. I don't think anyone else has either.
Unless I'm badly mistaken, I made a post that I could not later find on the McDonald's Bricktown topic ... which included these spoof graphics I made last year sometime ... prophetic as they turned out to be!

http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/spoof1.jpg

http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/spoof2.jpg

I didn't say anything about it and I wouldn't now but for Misty's & Metro's observations. I thought that I might be going crazy! :dizzy: I'm sure that Metro is right, though, the other McDonalds/Bricktown thread just went up in smoke, somehow or other.

On edit: Karrie, my original post of this one, http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/10600-vintage-okc-collage.html , also disappeared, but I reposted it.

AFCM
07-12-2007, 10:11 PM
You almost had it Doug. I'm envisioning the Clampett family enjoying a nice weekly bath right next to the Griffith family who are doing a little bass fishing.

Doug Loudenback
07-12-2007, 10:15 PM
You almost had it Doug. I'm envisioning the Clampett family enjoying a nice weekly bath right next to the Griffith family who are doing a little bass fishing.
Probably they were there and I just missed it ... didn't go far enough "down the river!" ;)

Doug Loudenback
07-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Has anyone ever been to the Mickey D's near the San Antonio Riverwalk? If so, would you consider that acceptable for Bricktown or downtown OKC? I remember the restaurant being very pedestrian-friendly, but it reminded me of every other McDonald's across the country...nothing special. I'd say no to Mickey D's opening up if they're going to build a cookie cutter design like that.

Off topic: Where's the McDonald's that pretty much straddles the interstate? It's in Oklahoma and, if I recall correctly, it's the largest McDonald's in the world. I'm not saying I'd want it in Bricktown; just that I'll never forget a visit to that fast food restaurant.
It's on the Will Rogers Turnpike between Tulsa and Missouri somewhere. It's been a long time since I've driven the route though, so I can't say for certain that it's still there. Even though it became a McDonald's, it wasn't a McDonald's originally ... can you imagine that McDonald's would have built something like that???

According to Wikipedia, Will Rogers Turnpike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Rogers_Turnpike)

The Will Rogers Turnpike runs from Tulsa, Oklahoma to the Missouri state line. It is 88 miles long and costs $3.50 to drive one way. It has a posted speed limit of 75 MPH, which makes it possible to get from Tulsa, Oklahoma to Joplin, Missouri in 90 minutes. One unique feature is a McDonald's (formerly called the "Glass House," and owned by the now-defunct Interstate Hosts company) that sits over the turnpike, and one can see the traffic passing beneath. The McDonalds is purported to be the "world's largest." although the McDonalds on International Drive in Orlando, Florida also claims to be the largest. The road is designated Interstate 44, but was built prior to the designation to Interstate standards. It opened to traffic in June, 1957 and was designated as I-44 in 1958 along with the Turner Turnpike connecting Tulsa and Oklahoma City.

Here's a pic by Wes Keller taken in 1999 (credit to McDonald's over the Will Rogers Turnpike in Oklahoma photo - Wes Keller photos at pbase.com (http://www.pbase.com/wyk/image/20775326) )

http://k41.pbase.com/u32/wyk/large/20775326.tn2.jpg

BFizzy
07-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Vinita, OK

World's Largest McDonald's, Vinita, Oklahoma (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/OKVINmcd.html)

Karried
07-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Yes, now I remember the post of Doug's... and the pics, we've had some website gremlins lately.. I'll check into it and see if we can figure it out.

johnnyboyokc
07-13-2007, 12:00 AM
The way the Oklahoman explained it was false......back in the day any original btown developer would of went crazy for this.........However let truth be told MCD said they wanted to build it on their terms and that is BS......dont you agree.....no matter who you are or how you got to btown you have to go through UD........right

OkieKAS
07-13-2007, 12:33 AM
McBricktown?

Nope, only SONIC can rule there.

johnnyboyokc
07-13-2007, 12:38 AM
Sonic is a training facility.......next to corp. office...........that is totally different!

betts
07-13-2007, 05:55 AM
I remember years ago McDonalds wanted to go in in a quaint little area in Ann Arbor. The residents in the area had a fit, and what ultimately happened was that an all brick, very attractive building went in that had no Golden Arches, no street parking and one of the smallest commercial signs I'd ever seen. So, there's no reason that same thing cannot be expected for Bricktown.

metro
07-13-2007, 08:23 AM
actually i don't think that Sonic in Bricktown is a training facility. I'm pretty sure it's just a regular walk-in concept restaurant. Has nothing to do with training from people I know at the corporate office.

John
07-13-2007, 11:23 AM
I think johnnyboy might have mistaken training facility and test concept.

BDP
07-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Ben Aguirre, the fast-food giant's area construction manager, and Kris Fullerton, area real estate manager, both argued their plans matched development on the south side of Reno Avenue in Lower Bricktown.

The sad thing is that they're right. Given what has been built and what lower bricktown is, a regular cookie cutter McDonald's fits right in. You reap what you sow and just about every valid criticism of the Bass Pro deal pointed out that his is what such developments would attract.

Now something like the Express Sports plan for East of the Ball Park would go a long way to mitigate some of the South of Reno mistakes and would, in fact, generate more pedestrian traffic East of bricktown towards this location. If something like that existed, then the above argument would have less merit.

I am glad that the Bricktown review board is doing what they can to steer any new development to be more in line with bricktown and offset what was done south of Reno. Hopefully, they can hold them off until there is some fill in on the north side, which I expect to see long before lower bricktown gets its act together and fills in its development to create a more pedestrian/urban destination.

Pete
07-13-2007, 03:21 PM
We've been trying to avoid the mistakes made on the south side of Reno

And isn't it true the review committee didn't have any jurisdiction south of Reno?

So, McD's is basically trying to argue, "Well, they built a bunch of crap across the street so why can't we?"

One positive, though... If Mickey D's thinks there is enough traffic in this area to support one of their high-volume dependent stores, that should be a major marketing point to other retailers and restaurants as part of any go-forward development.

BDP
07-13-2007, 04:24 PM
And isn't it true the review committee didn't have any jurisdiction south of Reno?

So, McD's is basically trying to argue, "Well, they built a bunch of crap across the street so why can't we?"

So true. It's funny that developers so often look for excuses to build crap instead of motivation to build something nice. It is just a lesson on how if a municipality doesn't have some civic planning or oversight, you get a bunch of crap more often than not. What's ironic here is that our municipality actually financed some of the crap and now that crap is being used to try and justify more crap.

Pete
07-13-2007, 04:52 PM
The chain restaurants are the worst culprits because as the real estate rep pointed out, they are publicly held enterprises and by far their biggest motivation is profit. The only time they deviate from their cookie-cutter is by sheer force, i.e. either bend to what is being asked by a particular jurisdiction/developer or forfeit your right to do business at this particular location.

Once that area really gets rolling I bet they'll become a lot more flexible in order to have a presence there.

Anyway, good for the Bricktown Design Committee. They've actually done a good job with all the recent things that have been proposed.

John
07-13-2007, 06:22 PM
If they want on the south side of Reno, why don't they just park the McD's in the parking lot right by Reno? No Bricktown jurisdiction, just gotta go through URC. Bass pro doesn't use that much of it's parking lot, just freeloaders who park there illegaly.

okclee
07-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Why doesn't the Bricktown design committee oversee the entire area between I-235, I-40, Gaylord, and Main Street??

BailJumper
07-14-2007, 07:43 AM
The chain restaurants are the worst culprits because as the real estate rep pointed out, they are publicly held enterprises and by far their biggest motivation is profit.

Yeah, you're right. All the local mom and pop businesses in Bricktown are in it for the shear joy of overly inflated overhead, long hours, few customers and debt, debt, debt.

Personally, I'd welcome an upscale McD's. We love the BT Sonic location and eat there often. As long as the McD's is on a corner I say let them have a drive through.

You see McD's in Times Square, airports and everywhere else, why not BT?

HOT ROD
07-14-2007, 12:52 PM
but McD does nt have a drive thru in Times Square or airports neither.

McD can adopt an urban design here,

However, I agree that a small drive-thru is appropriate for that location, it should just be an urban (multilevel) design with a smaller footprint (and little if any parking)..

CCOKC
07-14-2007, 06:38 PM
I agree totally. McDonald's has adapted their stores all over the world. I agree with the decision of the Bricktown planning board and do hope they stick to their guns on this one and any other proposed project in Bricktown. If anybody was in Bricktown last night you would see that a drive thru would definitely been a huge nightmare as far as traffic control goes.

John
07-14-2007, 09:59 PM
If we were ever to allow a drive-thru to locate in Bricktown proper, it better be a In-N-Out.

(I know we're out of their territory...)

That's the only exception.

Karried
07-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Why did you have to say that word! I absolutely love In and Out.. I used to drive 25 min in CA for those burgers and fresh cut fries.. omg.. I have honestly never had a burger that I loved more than In and Out.. the lines were always Out the door too.. I always thought a franchise here would go over so well!

BDP
07-15-2007, 02:25 PM
No Bricktown jurisdiction, just gotta go through URC

Actually, they would probably have to make it cheaper looking to get approved by URC. They like it cheap. The cheaper the better.

BTW, I have no problem with a McD's in the district (although it is boring and nothing new for the city), I just think this proposal shows how far off Bass Pro and lower Bricktown were/are from generating any kind of "urban destination" or district. They are inspiring the exact opposite.

okclee
07-15-2007, 02:40 PM
I thought I heard about an In-OUt Burger coming soon to San Antonio.

okclee
07-15-2007, 02:42 PM
I agree with BDP on this, I really don't care anymore about Bricktown and the direction it is headed. So go ahead with the McD and the Wal-Mart Supercenter, put them in between the Bass Pro and the IHOP.

Architect2010
07-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Ok, no. I do care about wat happens to UpperBricktown, because putting a McD's or a walmart between bass pro and ihop would be in Upper Bricktown, and that would ruin it, now what i think BDP was saying is that Lower Bricktown has a negative affect not upper Bricktown, and if they put a walmart or McD's in lower bricktown that would be expected from the quality of things they put in lb.. yeah im confusing myself.

Midtowner
07-15-2007, 05:00 PM
If Sonic, with its corporate HQ in Bricktown can't do a drive in, neither can McDonald's. I'm not too worried.

okclee
07-15-2007, 07:45 PM
What was the last thing to happen in UpperBricktown?? Yes finally a Hampton Inn is being built, Woopdeedoo.

Lower Bricktown is nearly complete and UpperBricktown just sits there with lease signs everywhere, multiple restaurants close regularly, with how many vacant buildings and even a vacant lot right on the canal.

To me Bricktown, both Lower and Upper have lost their mark along the way. So bring on McD's, Wal-Mart, Chillis, Cracker Barrell, Starbucks, and whoever else wants in.

metro
07-15-2007, 08:13 PM
actually okclee, Lower Bricktown still has lots of ways to go, far more than Upper Bricktown will, simply due to its size. There is still plenty of surface parking that can be converted as well as tons of space will open up south of the current I-40. Not to mention, many on here believe that Hogan's current projects will eventually be replaced once this happens and the infill is developed properly.

okclee
07-15-2007, 09:42 PM
I disagree that LB has more to go then UB does. I agree that the size of LB is greater than UB but at the rate of development LB will be completed and UB will still look the same mainly along the canal.

Upper Bricktown still has all of the steel mill property (east on Sheridan) that to me looks worse than the parking lots of Lower Bricktown. And the vacant canal lot that has set for many years now along with boarded up buildings and undeveloped canal level areas.

The property owners along the UB canal will wait it all out for the BIG payday, While LB continues to develop. Not to mention the restrictions for LB are far less and more inviting to anyone that wishes to be in one of the two.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-16-2007, 03:57 AM
Sure...Put one down there.

Stick that sucker right inside Bass Pro and muck up their sign with those golden arches.

metro
07-16-2007, 07:13 AM
The Steel Mill already has plans proposed, it just won't start until after the "Hill at Bricktown" (even though it's in Deep Deuce really) is finished. Unfortunately the guy who owns it wants to see how successful the Hill turns out. I've seen the master plans for the site, its going to be residential and mixed use retail.

Doug Loudenback
07-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Personally, I'm pleased by the stance taken by the Bricktown "monitors" ... and, actually, the arrogant stance taken by McDonalds ... I personally hope that "McDonalds" does "not come back to the table." See Steve Lackmeyer's article at NewsOK: Fast food chain may change its plans (http://newsok.com/article/3084787) ...

Fast food chain may change its plans
By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman

For decades McDonald's used a clown as the company's mouthpiece. Maybe the company should have reconsidered that strategy last week.

As a company, McDonald's is among the most recognizable brands in the world, with more than 30,000 restaurants in more than 100 countries. Its friendly messages are beamed to millions of consumers via television, print advertisements, billboards and radio spots.

So maybe it shouldn't have been a surprise when asked to communicate about the company's desire to open a restaurant in Bricktown, McDonald's released the following statement from John Wendel, director of development at McDonald's greater southwest region:

"At McDonald's, we are committed to the communities in which we operate and we are extremely interested in having a location in The Bricktown area in Oklahoma City. McDonald's embraces the communities we do business in and looks forward to making this a mutually beneficial solution. As always, McDonald's wants to be a good neighbor no matter where we are.”

That's mighty friendly. But at last week's Bricktown Urban Design Committee meeting, the company communicated a different message with a different tone:

McDonald's liked the new design recently used in suburban Mustang — and featured in a national advertising campaign, and wants to use the same approach in Bricktown, a historic urban warehouse district. McDonald's desire to have a drive-through, and to orient the restaurant's design for vehicular traffic are more important than Bricktown's desire to maintain and expand its unique status as the most successful pedestrian-oriented commercial district in the state.

Company representatives lectured the Bricktown Urban Design Committee on how to do its job, and questioned whether the committee really had any authority over how McDonald's should design a store. And when they were reminded this committee did have authority, and it became clear the McDonald's design wasn't going to pass, the representatives again insisted that east Bricktown is not meant for pedestrians and won't be anytime soon.

Compromises were offered by committee members. They agreed to continue consideration until the next meeting, a gesture that was met with: "I do not expect to be back.”

Ben Aguirre, the fast food giant's area construction manager, and Kris Fullerton, area real estate manager, left the meeting and insisted that only McDonald's corporate public relations staff could answer any further questions.

I contacted the PR folks and asked if McDonald's would continue pursuing a spot in Bricktown. I inquired about McDonald's track record of custom designing restaurants in historic districts. I asked if McDonald's considers Bricktown to be a historic district. I noted that, contrary to Aguirre's stance that the Bricktown design was "unique,” it was almost identical to a restaurant recently opened in Mustang and inquired why the company couldn't tailor a restaurant specifically for Bricktown. Finally, I also wanted to know what is more important to McDonald's, stockholder expectations or community expectations?

McDonald's is standing with Wendel's friendly, happy statement. Nothing more.

I do not expect to be back. Right. Like a McDonalds restaurant is akin to a Boeing, Piper, whaterver, "real deal" contribution to Okc? It almost sounds like McDonalds thinks that it's a "threat" to Okc for it NOT to have a McDonalds in Bricktown. Can you say,"I'm dying laughing?" :woohoo

And, if that perspective I've implied from McDonalds is accurate, it's wholly laughable (as though a city having a (ANY) fast-food restaurant would have such a city-wide-imact-potential). Hell, if ALL McDonalds withdrew from Okc (and that's a bunch), would we get over it?¦nbsp; (Yes, for fatty food and cholseteral intake lovers ...and even though I do LOVE my Egg-McMufins and Hash Browns.)

But, as far as I'm able to tell, having a "McDonalds" in a US city has NEVER been a benchmark of ANY US city!¦nbsp; I mean, do you find ANYTHING ANYWHERE which indicates that the presence of a McDonalds makes a city "great?"¦nbsp; What a joke, if you've found such a thing!

I mean, when it comes down to having or not having a McDonalds in Bricktown, there is nothing to gain (but for those who are compelled to have a Big Mac Attack from time to time) and, actually much to lose. McDonald's is 999% mundane, even though I do enjoy my EggMcMuffins. But, WHY would ANYONE want to do the "mundane" in Bricktown?

Not me, for sure. I can get my EggMcMuffins EVERYWHERE and don't want to go to Bricktown to enjoy my high-cholerstoral breakfast (fast-food-oh-you-don't-have-time-to-go-somewhere-else) fix for the morning hours. As for burgers, well, other locales in Bricktown do a much better job. And, should McDonalds wish to become "punivitive" (they won't -- too many sales in Okc for that to happen), it wouldn't hurt our bodies one iota, much the contrary!

Synopisis: Nothing to be gained, something to be lost. Nuke (trash)-em! Even McDonalds Co. would be hard-pressed to imagine in their wildest dreams how they could possible make a "historic" contribution in this turn, and they seem to have no interest in doing so. Now, if they'd rig their site to do that, I might see it differently. But, as for now ...

... Doug Dawg says, "Good riddance! I hope that they don't come back to the table. And, if they do, that they will be humble and will opt in to the 'pedestrian' and not 'drive through' model."

AFCM
07-17-2007, 10:51 PM
Exactly. If I wanted to commit suicide by gluttony, I'll do so at Falcone's or Hooters.

metro
07-30-2007, 02:46 PM
I'd welcome a Bricktown/urban McDonalds if it was urban designed, had no surface parking (unless it was street parking) and offered this type of delivery. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this concept will make it to the US anytime soon.

http://stb.msn.com/i/E8/704CB1D7A5E4BE8B4935926254FB.jpg

From Săo Paulo to Shanghai, McDonald's is boosting growth with speedy delivery.

By BusinessWeek
Mickey D delivers? You bet. While Americans suffering from a Big Mac attack typically pull up to the drive-through window, in the developing world the fast-food chain increasingly does the driving.

In traffic-choked cities from Manila to Montevideo, McDonald's deploys fleets of motor scooters to get hot food to customers fast. "I'm too lazy to go out and stand in line," confesses Nada Abou el Soud, a Cairo high school student. She says she calls in an order for a McChicken combo meal at least once a week, dropping about $4.25 each time, including a delivery fee of 70 cents.

All told, McDonald's (MCD, news, msgs) delivers in some 25 cities, with a half-dozen more on deck. The company just launched deliveries in Taipei with 1,000 drivers, is expanding Shanghai to citywide service this summer, and is testing the concept in Beirut and Riyadh. In Egypt, where the setup was pioneered in 1995, deliveries now account for 27% of all McDonald's revenue and up to 80% at some restaurants.

Video: McDonald's markets to moms

Globally, delivery sales are expected to total more than $110 million in 2007, up from $90 million last year, the company says. While that's spare change for the $21.6 billion giant, the business is growing by 20% to 30% annually, more than triple the chain's overall rate.

It's profitable, too.

Delivery margins usually top the 13% to 14% that McDonald's outlets generally yield. That's because the courier fee, which runs from 50 cents to $1, covers the cost of handling phoned-in orders and the fleets of drivers and motorbikes. "And we don't even have to clean up a table," notes Timothy J. Fenton, president of McDonald's operations outside the Americas and Europe. "It's incremental profit for us."

Experimentation is encouraged
The business is emblematic of the change in thinking at the Oak Brook, Ill., company. From McDonald's start in 1955, headquarters dictated pretty much every detail of running a franchise. But as revenue growth stalled several years ago, management began encouraging experimentation. So while the basic menu and layout of a McDonald's is still pretty much the same everywhere, restaurants in China now have latitude to substitute corn for fries in Happy Meals, some in the U.S. blend fruit smoothies and those in Australia and France have coffee lounges that feel like a Starbucks (SBUX, news, msgs).

"Management is looking beyond Oak Brook for inspiration," says UBS Securities analyst David S. Palmer. "They're becoming better at sharing the best ideas around the globe."

McDonald's opened its first location in Egypt in 1994. Its local licensee quickly suggested adding delivery after noticing that other fast-food chains, and even five-star hotels, offered the service. The first trial took place six months later at two outlets.

One key was setting up a call center with a single toll-free phone number for metropolitan Cairo. The other was hiring hundreds of scooter drivers to snake their way through the city's thick traffic to make their drop-offs before the McNuggets get cold.

Today, almost all of McDonald's 35 restaurants in and around Cairo deliver, while only a couple have drive-through windows. McDonald's has mimicked this setup as it has expanded the service to other countries.

One place, though, that the Golden Arches won't come knocking is the U.S. The delivery model works well in congested cities where there's no affordable space for drive-through windows, but plenty of cheap labor to ferry the food to customers. Except in Manhattan, where a handful of McDonald's deliver phoned-in orders to nearby high-rises, land isn't an issue in U.S. cities and people find it easier to pick up meals themselves. But with ever more sales coming from abroad, Ronald McDonald will be plenty busy making the rounds for some time.

This article was reported and written by Michael Arndt for BusinessWeek.

metro
09-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Bricktown is lovin' redesigned McDonald's restaurant plans

By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer

McDonald's got high praise at the Bricktown Urban Design Committee on Wednesday for a redesigned restaurant proposed for the east end of the entertainment district.

Committee members unanimously approved the conceptual design, which proposes a restaurant at the corner of Reno and Byers with a red brick and cast stone facade. The design is dramatically different from one proposed in July, which matched several suburban restaurants and was oriented to automotive and not pedestrian traffic.

Committee member Bob Bright, a critic of the first designs, applauded the redesign by Trinity Group Architects.

"I'm not opposed to McDonald's coming into Bricktown,” Bright told company representatives. "But you had a standard facility, and this isn't a standard facility. I like very much what you have done.”

Ben Aguirre, the fast-food giant's area construction manager, and Kris Fullerton, area real estate manager, told the committee they were eager to work with the city to ensure the restaurant would be "special” and would fit into the entertainment district.

"We wanted to accommodate some of the requests that were made, especially the heavy focus on pedestrian aspects of the design and making the building closer to the corner,” Aguirre said. "As part of the pedestrian design motif, we've incorporated a lot of landscaping into the parking areas.”

The design proposed in July matched several suburban restaurants, including one near Mustang and also featured in a national advertising campaign.

The tone of Wednesday's meeting was markedly different than the last meeting in July, in which Aguirre and Fullerton questioned the committee's authority over the designs and insisted the fast food giant's proposed design was appropriate for the historic warehouse district.

The committee, consisting of members appointed by the mayor, is charged with overseeing new construction and facade renovations and ensuring they fit into the district's historic character.

Aguirre and Fullerton pledged Wednesday to work with the committee on landscaping and final designs, which must still be approved before a building permit can be issued by the city.

Details still to be addressed include building height, window designs and planting materials. Bright challenged Aguirre and Fullerton to take the same extraordinary approach to landscaping that they did with the building's conceptual design.

"I'd like to see you do a much better job with this location,” Bright said. "I'd like to see trees along Reno so it doesn't hide the parking but subdues it. Maybe there can be trees in the parking lot itself.”

Committee member John Yoeckel said the McDonald's redesign proves the city can and should expect a higher standard.

"You listened to us and came back to us with something that reflected the comments we made,” Yoeckel said. "I don't think it was that hard to do. ... We take pride in our community, and we are interested in seeing better planning and design, and thank you for working with us to do that.”

Committee chairman Tom Wilson said the willingness by McDonald's to work with the committee and respond to its concerns sets a good precedent to other applicants as Bricktown continues to attract national retailers.

"I think this was an excellent example of what our role on this committee should be,” Wilson said. We should be setting the parameter of how a building should be design in Bricktown. ... I hope this is a model for not just Bricktown but also other parts of the city.”

http://static.newsok.biz/article/3124778/biz-s13macs_09-13-2007_4D4KIE0.jpg This rendering shows redesigned plans for a McDonald's restaurant in Bricktown. Provided by Trinity Group Architects

betts
09-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Although I can say with quite a bit of certainty that I will never got to McDonalds in Bricktown, and I'm not a huge proponent of having one there, at least they got them to change the design and eliminate parking in front of the store. It should send a pretty clear message to the Committee that they need to stand their ground on design, and not worry about a business getting away if they're not lenient. If a business wants to be there badly enough, they will comply with architectural restrictions.

metro
09-13-2007, 08:52 AM
The pic is hard to see, but it still looks suburban to me.

betts
09-13-2007, 09:05 AM
I agree that it looks more suburban than urban, but it still looks better than what they had planned originally. I didn't see any mention of a drive-through in that article, and wasn't sure if you could see on in the back on that picture. It would be nice if that were eliminated too.

Midtowner
09-13-2007, 09:55 AM
It looks like an Applebee's.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-13-2007, 02:56 PM
[B]http://static.newsok.biz/article/3124778/biz-s13macs_09-13-2007_4D4KIE0.jpg
This rendering shows redesigned plans for a McDonald's restaurant in Bricktown. Provided by Trinity Group Architects

Sweet! We're getting the worlds smallest McDonald's!

foodiefan
09-13-2007, 04:21 PM
. . and that's a bad thing??

okclee
09-13-2007, 08:42 PM
I can see it now, Sonic, McD's, KFC, Arby's, BK, Carl's JR, Taco Bell, Long JS, A&W , let's line them up and down Reno in Bricktown.

As long as they are built with bricks the more the better Fast Food the better.

oneforone
09-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Please... you guys are acting like Bricktown is Park Avenue Real Estate. It is a food and booze district with a creek running through it and that is all that place will ever be.

One way or another chain businesses like Mcdonald's are coming to Bricktown. If you run them out there are just going to create a fast food row on the east side of Bricktown from Lincoln to Eastern. Trust me in due time, one by one the freight yards, salvage yards and sales lots will dissappear. Discount stores, fast food and other shops will take their place.

Keep your prententious little hypocritic attitudes in Edmond where they belong. I just love how you guys cry a river about the I-35 Wal-Mart. Then when the place opens you are all shopping there just like every other Joe Blow in town. The parking lot is always packed with every expensive import and monster SUV.

PapaJack
09-14-2007, 05:55 AM
Thank you oneforone:

I was thinking this topic "Bricktown {Wired}" had died. Your post contains veritably something to insult everyone and should fan the flames!

The land between Bricktown and MLK along Reno will develop as demand requires; be it McDonald's and WalMart or botique hotels and shoppes. And OKC will be the better for whatever develops.

ps I live in Edmond, I drive an SUV, I shop wherever I get the best buy and I like Starbucks. But at 61 years I don't have a prententious little hypocritic attitude.
I "earned" the right to chose my lifestyle.

Easy180
09-14-2007, 06:04 AM
It will be more of a Park Ave for OKC when we land a permanent NBA team

With all the residential properties popping up in downtown and bricktown I don't have a problem with them placing fast food places on the fringes of bricktown...The people living down there will want numerous fast food choices just like the rest of us

jbrown84
09-14-2007, 12:02 PM
I just love how you guys cry a river about the I-35 Wal-Mart. Then when the place opens you are all shopping there just like every other Joe Blow in town.

I actually boycott that Walmart.

traxx
09-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Please... you guys are acting like Bricktown is Park Avenue Real Estate. It is a food and booze district with a creek running through it and that is all that place will ever be.

One way or another chain businesses like Mcdonald's are coming to Bricktown. If you run them out there are just going to create a fast food row on the east side of Bricktown from Lincoln to Eastern. Trust me in due time, one by one the freight yards, salvage yards and sales lots will dissappear. Discount stores, fast food and other shops will take their place.

Keep your prententious little hypocritic attitudes in Edmond where they belong. I just love how you guys cry a river about the I-35 Wal-Mart. Then when the place opens you are all shopping there just like every other Joe Blow in town. The parking lot is always packed with every expensive import and monster SUV.

You're part of the problem, not part of the solution. Now let's see if you're moniker is true and you really are one for one (otherwise you're a liar). Your contribution here sucks - SHUT UP!

betts
09-14-2007, 01:19 PM
I actually boycott that Walmart.

I actually boycott all Walmarts. When they can build acceptable buildings and not abandon them in a few years and landscape their parking lots I will consider shopping there.

BDP
09-14-2007, 01:45 PM
It is a food and booze district with a creek running through it and that is all that place will ever be.

And that seems to be because that is all Oklahoma City wants, so you may be right. The developers seem to think you're right as well. The city would rather put a road block up for just about anything, but stuff like this and wal-marts. Urban renewal consistently picks the least ambitious projects. Hogan was selected for lower bricktown without a plan or any comprehensive vision. Bricktown developers hold out for chains or leave properties empty. The city finances Bass Pro. And on and on.

So, the reason that bricktown is destined to become redundant and stale is because that's all anyone seems to believe it can be and that is exactly how it has been executed. We continually sell it as something that will one day be a signature entertainment district, but only seem to support the opposite. We balk at major investments, while the old guard simply sits and waits for their properties to appreciate on promise until a Wal-Mart or McDonald's comes along with the cash.

Bricktown, and especially lower bricktown, was the opportunity for Oklahoma to have something unique and to create a dense selection of businesses and concepts that had not had a place in Oklahoma before. It could have been a source of identity for the area, something that gave reason to be and reason to visit. The surface lots and the east side represent that last remaining option for any of this to be done with new construction. But again and again we seem to just want more fast food, more mass market shopping, or just more parking.

I believed at one time that it would improve and diversify our city, yet those in control of its destiny seem to want something else. Mid-town and areas like the triangle may bring hope of something new back to the area, but we'll just have to wait and see if 1) the developers believe in that idea enough to bring in new concepts and 2) if Oklahoma City is really interested in increasing its options of entertainment, dining, and living or if we just want more of the same with slightly better facades.