View Full Version : Intelligence report finds al-Qaida has largely regained strength

PUGalicious
07-12-2007, 04:30 AM
When I first read this headline yesterday evening, I simply shook my head and said to my wife, “So what have we accomplished at all with our ‘War on Terror’.”
(AP (http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2007/07/report_alqaida_has_regained_st.php)) U.S. intelligence analysts have concluded al-Qaida has rebuilt its operating capability to a level not seen since just before the 2001 terrorist attacks, The Associated Press has learned.

The conclusion suggests that the group that launched the most devastating terror attack on the United States has been able to rebuild despite nearly six years of bombings, war and other tactics aimed at crippling it.

Counterterrorism analysts produced the document, titled “Al-Qaida better positioned to strike the West.” The document pays special heed to the terror group’s safe haven in Pakistan and makes a range of observations about the threat posed to the United States and its allies, officials said.

Al-Qaida is “considerably operationally stronger than a year ago” and has “regrouped to an extent not seen since 2001,” the official said, paraphrasing the report’s conclusions. “They are showing greater and greater ability to plan attacks in Europe and the United States.”
The group also has created “the most robust training program since 2001, with an interest in using European operatives,” the official quoted the report as saying.

At the same time, this official said, the report speaks of “significant gaps in intelligence” so U.S. authorities may be ignorant of potential or planned attacks.
Five years of war. Thousands of U.S. soldiers killed, tens of thousands wounded. Unknown thousands of civilians killed, many more wounded and countless displaced. Hundreds of billions of dollars expended. A weakened military stretched to its limits. A diminished image around the world.

But al-Qaida is as strong as ever.

What have we gained with Bush’s “War on Terror,” I ask again?

That will be your legacy, Mr. Bush. Failed leadership. Failed policy. Corrupt government. And to think I ever supported you and actually helped put you in office — I’m nearly as disgusted with myself as I am with you.

redland
07-12-2007, 06:34 AM
Thank you Pug for saying what needs to be said.

Easy180
07-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Not the only one Pug...My dumba** voted for him as well

Wonder how many people over the last 4 or 5 years have pried their Bush bumper stickers off their cars

Odds are if you see a little glue left on someone's bumper it's for that reason :Smiley051

dismayed
07-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Frightening. I'm sure it is because the places where the bad guys really are hiding out our armies aren't allowed to venture into for various political reasons.