View Full Version : Animals in Need-Flood

Karried
07-10-2007, 06:04 PM
The pets in Miami OK are in dire straits.. you can read it here and help if you can....

http://go.care2.com/e/sbeW/k6mm/_VDt

Easy180
07-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Hate to think about that sort of thing Karried...Always had to change the station when they were showing the stranded animals in Nawlin's

Donated and will send it to my company's HR tomorrow who will match my contribution

Karried
07-10-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm the same way... couldn't stand to watch it.. so horribly sad.

That is so sweet of you to get the company to match your donation. I imagine every little bit will help with food and rescue efforts.

Easy180
07-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Little update for ya Karried

Flooded out pets coming to Norman

The Norman Transcript

Transcript Staff Writer

Some of the pets that survived the flooding in northeastern Oklahoma may find new homes in Norman.

Second Chance Animal Sanctuary will receive 12 dogs and 15 cats from the Miami (Okla.) Police Department Animal Control, which flooded during recent heavy rains.

A total of 94 animals are being transported today to Norman, Oklahoma City and Del City, said Mary Katherine Long, Second Chance executive director.

"We're fortunate our adoptions have been really good," Long said.

Second Chance Animal Sanctuary is a "no-kill" animal shelter.

In Moore, officials said they "hadn't been asked" to house any displaced animals.

"We haven't been asked to keep any animals," said Moore animal control officer Gia Rodrigues. "But I'm sure we would have helped if we had been asked."

Norman Animal Shelter officials said the shelter is full and not able to take any animals.

Long said when Second Chance officials heard about the Miami animals' plight, they worked on moving as many of their dogs and cats as possible to volunteer foster homes, so they could accommodate more animals.

All of the Miami animals are expected to be adoptable, she said. They will be adopted out when it's determined they are healthy and spayed or neutered.

Long said among the animals they are receiving are a German shepherd mix, black and yellow Lab mixes, a Rottweiler mix and some puppies.

Many of the cats they are expecting are young, she said.

Long said the animals were already at the shelter or were signed over by Miami residents who couldn't keep them after the flood.

Staff writer M. Scott Carter contributed to this report.

Carol L. Cole 366-3538 ccole@normantranscript.com