View Full Version : Heisman Park

AFCM
07-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Heisman Park, just East of Memorial Stadium, will get an amphitheater for permanent seating and other upgrades as the park grows in importance to the legacy of the OU program. Originally, the park was conceived as a 2007 Centennial project by the University to honor OU's first four Heisman winners: Billy Vessels, Steve Owens, Billy Sims and Jason White.

Larger than life sized bronze statues of Vessels and Owens are already installed, and all four winners will all be displayed by mid-season this fall. A Billy Sims statue will be unveiled prior to the North Texas game, and Jason White will be honored prior to the Miami game.

The statue of Vessels is due to be recast at the same, larger scale as the following three. The statue of Owens was recently removed in order to strengthen the structure internally, as engineers thought it may be mounted at too great of an angle. It should be completed and replaced by September 1.

A bronze statue of the three Selmon brothers standing together will be placed at the East end of the park. Also, all national award (i.e. Lombardi; Thorpe, Walker, etc), winners from OU will be honored.

soonersweetie
10-08-2007, 03:19 PM
this is really cool! As no other school that has had a Heisman winner honors their Heisman winners the way OU has done.

Very very classy in my opinion!

AFCM
10-09-2007, 12:19 AM
this is really cool! As no other school that has had a Heisman winner honors their Heisman winners the way OU has done.

Very very classy in my opinion!

True, mostly because not a lot of schools can claim as many Heisman Trophy winners as OU. :)