View Full Version : More College Grads Staying in Oklahoma

adaniel
07-09-2007, 12:57 PM
An interesting article noting significant improvement for one of this state's biggest problems. I've noticed at OU that fewer and fewer students are catching the "Move to Dallas" bug. A sure sign that this state is making progress...

Study: More graduates staying in Oklahoma
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - Nine out of 10 Oklahomans who earn a bachelor's degree at an in-state public university stay in Oklahoma for at least a year, up from 80 percent two years ago, according to a report released by state regents.

After five years, 72 percent remain as Oklahoma workers.

More jobs are available in a variety of fields, although degrees in architecture and transportation still lead a majority of those grads out of state, according to the report released Thursday.

"In the global economy, there is fierce competition for the best and brightest," said Jim Purcell, associate vice chancellor of strategic planning and analysis.

Five years after graduation, bachelor's degree recipients earned an average annual salary of $37,747 in Oklahoma.

"I think most of our college graduates have a strong affinity toward their home state, and would prefer to work right here in Oklahoma," Purcell said. "Fortunately, the Oklahoma economy has matured to the point where these proud young people can find that dream closer to home."

Easy180
07-09-2007, 01:01 PM
After five years, 72 percent remain as Oklahoma workers.

Very nice sign for us Okies

jbrown84
07-09-2007, 04:01 PM
I know Texas people that came here for college and didn't go back.

Midtowner
07-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Law school is the same way. A lot of my classmates are strongly considering staying in OKC.

Pete
07-09-2007, 04:04 PM
I remember when I left OK in the late 80's, there was much talk about "brain drain" from the state because there was so little opportunity in the wake of the oil bust.

Glad to see that that trend has clearly reversed.

OU Adonis
07-09-2007, 04:08 PM
The salaries are a bit disappointing though. 37k seems low for a degree.

u50254082
07-09-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm close to graduating and the fact that Google is supposed to be building a datacenter in Pryor is keeping me in the state (is this still happening?)-- that and the overall lower cost of living.

But I'm tempted to move somewhere less humid and random-weather'd. SoCal, Flagstaff/Phoenix, and Nevada seem to be calling me...

oumoodman85
07-09-2007, 07:49 PM

My point exactly. Why would I stay in OKC for 37k when I have offers from Dallas, Denver, and NYC for 55k+--and this is right out of college!

I love OKC, was born and raised here. But I just graduated, and the opportunities elsewhere are too great to ignore. But I do hope to come back someday!

Nixon7
07-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Raise the teacher salary! :)

TStheThird
07-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Good luck living off of 55k in NYC. I worked at OSU Career Services before moving to Virginia last month, and the average business student is making about 45k and the average engineer is making about 55k. These are students going to work in Oklahoma.

My plan for a better Oklahoma centers around raising the teacher pay. We raise the pay real high. We then create a lot of competition to teach in OK. The competition increases the quality of the educator and in a decade we have the best public schools in America and companies are knocking down the door to relocate. It is that simple. :tiphat: :bright_id

Ok... maybe not, but oh well. I also think that we should legalize marijuana for two years and tax the hell out of it and become the richest state in the union. Once we fill up the bank, we shut it down. I am just playing... but man, we could make some bank in those few years. We would also have a large population increase. I have never smoked weed, but I think it is the answer. LOL.

jbrown84
07-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Flagstaff/Phoenix,

Flagstaff maybe (the mountains) but I don't see the appeal of living in the desert in Phoenix. I've been there and it is so hot you can't hardly function.

Misty
07-10-2007, 12:24 PM
I have never smoked weed, but I think it is the answer. LOL.[/QUOTE]

Well it'd be a lot cooler if you did.

(my favorite wooderson quote from dazed and confused)

I was making A LOT more money in Austin, but actually live better here even with the smaller salary because the cost of living is so low. So I can afford to go to ATX as often as I want and enjoy all the things I love without dealing with the daily traffic and outrageous rent prices.

Misty
07-10-2007, 12:25 PM
I have never smoked weed, but I think it is the answer. LOL.

Oops that didn't post right, it was TS that said he hasn't smoked weed LOL

CuatrodeMayo
07-10-2007, 12:54 PM

I'm looking at a $37k national average. :doh:

adaniel
07-10-2007, 01:31 PM
I have never smoked weed, but I think it is the answer. LOL.

Well it'd be a lot cooler if you did.

(my favorite wooderson quote from dazed and confused)

I was making A LOT more money in Austin, but actually live better here even with the smaller salary because the cost of living is so low. So I can afford to go to ATX as often as I want and enjoy all the things I love without dealing with the daily traffic and outrageous rent prices.

Exactly. The only expense you have in OKC that you may not have in other places is an income tax, which is only going to not be in a handful of places like TX. Other than that, your cost of living will almost always be lower in Oklahoma than anywhere else in the country. For example, to live in the "cool" and "hip" Galleria area of Houston this summer for my internship I'm paying about $1300/month for a moldy, old apartment (with a slight roach problem). Thank God I have roomate or else I'd be screwed! I could have moved somewhere else cheaper, but that would have meant a doubling or tripling of my commute time. Yeah its a fun area, but I wish I could be saving some of that rent money for school so I can eat something besides Ramen Noodles in the fall.

Easy180
07-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Reminds me of a girl that worked with my ex girlfriend at Saints Hospital who moved in from New York (Not sure what city) to an apt close to the hospital

She told us we should check out getting an apt there too as they were pretty nice and large

We set an appt with the leasing lady and when we got there it looked like a halfway house....The apts were disgusting and they had refrigerator's from like 1950 in them

To sum up the quality of this place...The leasing lady was somewhat surprised we each had our own cars

dismayed
07-10-2007, 11:38 PM
$50k is like minimum wage on the coasts. The grocery sackers in southern Cali make $50k. I'm totally serious. I'm sure it's the same in NY.

Anywhere in Texas, yeah that is a good bump. Denver is a pretty expensive city now, so it may be a wash there.

There are several cost of living adjustment websites available now that are really helpful in determining stuff like this.

metro
07-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Exactly. The only expense you have in OKC that you may not have in other places is an income tax, which is only going to not be in a handful of places like TX. Other than that, your cost of living will almost always be lower in Oklahoma than anywhere else in the country. For example, to live in the "cool" and "hip" Galleria area of Houston this summer for my internship I'm paying about $1300/month for a moldy, old apartment (with a slight roach problem). Thank God I have roomate or else I'd be screwed! I could have moved somewhere else cheaper, but that would have meant a doubling or tripling of my commute time. Yeah its a fun area, but I wish I could be saving some of that rent money for school so I can eat something besides Ramen Noodles in the fall.

Yes, but this is really a cop out the whole "no income tax" issue. On the other hand, Texas has a much higher property tax rate. Even if you don't own and rent it still affects you. Your landlord/property manager still has to recoup his/her property taxes somehow, (i.e. rent).

fsusurfer
07-11-2007, 08:14 PM
When I graduated from college, I landed my first job in OKC at a hospital organization. 5 years later, and after minimal yearly rasies, I've moved back to Florida. I landed a job, same title, making almost 25% more. While there is an increased cost of living, its no where near the difference in pay. Also, everyone I work with now is college educated. At my old job, I'd say 50% or less were. I am however, thankfull forOklahoma City giving me the oportunity to start my career.