View Full Version : Railed Train now open at zoo

Patrick
11-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Well, as part of the Oklahoma Centennial projects, the OKC Zoo has added a railed train back to it's list of rides. Hooray! I always thought it was a mistake when they replaced the old railed train with a tram. Anyways, they'll keep the tram for tours, but they'll also run the new Centennial Choo Choo as well! How fun! It opened Nov. 17th. I'll have to check it out sometime.

-------------
GRAND OPENING OF THE CENTENNIAL CHOO CHOO!
November 16, 2004

The grand opening for the Centennial Choo Choo is set for Wednesday, November 17 at the Oklahoma City Zoo and Botanical Garden. Open during regular Zoo hours with an admission of $2 per passenger, children ages 2 and under ride free (when accompanied by an adult), the Centennial Choo Choo is the newest way to explore the Zoo!

This locomotive-driven train was made possible by a $250,000 matching grant from the Oklahoma Centennial Commission. Built by Chance Rides located in Wichita, Kansas, train specifications include:

*Handcrafted, scaled replica of an original 1863 locomotive
*Four-cylinder gas engine
*Variable capacity that provides seating for up to 50 passengers
*Air brakes on all wheels
*Runs on 24-gauge track
*Accommodates 2 wheelchairs per ride

Visitors can purchase tokens for this ride at various Zoo locations. Then, hop on board at the Train Depot, located south of the Jungle Gym Playground, and enjoy the ride as the conductor tells about fun and interesting facts while the train chuga chugs along. The Centennial Choo Choo will take passengers along nearly one mile of tracks through the hooved stock exhibits in the southwest portion of the Zoo. The Choo Choo will be open daily with some weather limitations including temperatures classified as below freezing and hard rain.

So get on board and experience the newest attraction at the Oklahoma City Zoo and Botanical Garden. Ranked one of the top three family-friendly zoos in the nation, the Zoo is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with exhibit buildings closing at dusk. The Zoo is located in the heart of Oklahoma City’s Adventure District at the crossroads of I-44 and I-35. Regular admission is $7 for adults, $4 for children ages 3-11 and seniors 65 and over. Children two and under are admitted free. For more information about these and other Zoo activities, call (405) 424-3344.

SoundMind
11-23-2004, 10:34 PM
I remember the old train at the Oklahoma City Zoo. It went around much of the zoo, and was a joy to watch. I never understood why the zoo scrapped it. I'm glad to see the return of a train to our zoo. I also hope to visit the zoo sometime soon.