View Full Version : Sugar cane Dr Pepper - who all has seen it, and where?

Matt
07-03-2007, 07:53 AM
Several weeks ago, I was at the Albertson's on 122nd and noticed that they were carrying some old-school style Dr Pepper--old school because it was sweetened with cane sugar instead of corn syrup. Around seven bucks for a twelve-pack, but the cans were 16 oz. as opposed to 12 oz. Bought a case, and found it quite delectable--a little bit of a cleaner taste, a little sweeter, and not as much of a chemical bite to it, compared to the regular Dr P.

But there hasn't been any at that Albertson's ever since, at least as far as I know. I've read that this special Dr P. has also been found in Buy For Less stores, and a friend of mine found it at the I-240 Wal-Mart, and bought like five cases. I've also heard that this stuff will only be available for a limited time.

So I thought I'd start this thread to see what all stores were selling this special Dr Pepper. It's good stuff, and I'd like to get some more before it goes away.

So. . . any of you guys seen it?

Midtowner
07-03-2007, 07:55 AM
It's bottled in Waco, TX.

Matt
07-03-2007, 08:03 AM

That's very helpful. Thank you.

flintysooner
07-03-2007, 08:12 AM
I had a link someone gave of a place in LA that had all sorts of sodas:
Enter Store (http://www.sodapopstop.com)

I think you may want the Dr. Pepper Original Forumla
Dr Pepper Original Formula - Sugar Formulas,Classics - Soda Pop (http://www.sodapopstop.com/products/detail.cfm?link=10)

ultimatesooner
07-03-2007, 08:46 AM
the wal mart neighborhood market on hefner and rockwell had a bunch of it by the registers on Saturday

metro
07-03-2007, 08:46 AM
I saw some at Wal-Mart at NW Expressway and Council and the one at Belle Isle. I was tempted to get it and try but I didn't. I did however get those "experimental XD-13 Doritos" man those things are nasty. You're supposed to come up with a flavor name and go to the Doritos website and name them. I thought they tasted like fishsticks with tartar sauce. Seriously!!! They were nasty.

ultimatesooner
07-03-2007, 08:48 AM
Several weeks ago, I was at the Albertson's on 122nd and noticed that they were carrying some old-school style Dr Pepper--old school because it was sweetened with cane sugar instead of corn syrup. Around seven bucks for a twelve-pack, but the cans were 16 oz. as opposed to 12 oz. Bought a case, and found it quite delectable--a little bit of a cleaner taste, a little sweeter, and not as much of a chemical bite to it, compared to the regular Dr P.

But there hasn't been any at that Albertson's ever since, at least as far as I know. I've read that this special Dr P. has also been found in Buy For Less stores, and a friend of mine found it at the I-240 Wal-Mart, and bought like five cases. I've also heard that this stuff will only be available for a limited time.

So I thought I'd start this thread to see what all stores were selling this special Dr Pepper. It's good stuff, and I'd like to get some more before it goes away.

So. . . any of you guys seen it?

wal mart @ hefner and rockwell had a bunch by the self checkout registers on Saturday

Matt
07-03-2007, 08:57 AM
the wal mart neighborhood market on hefner and rockwell had a bunch of it by the registers on Saturday

I saw some at Wal-Mart at NW Expressway and Council and the one at Belle Isle.

Rockin'. That's what I was looking for. Thanks, fellas.

metro
07-03-2007, 09:02 AM
no problem, and steer clear of those X13 Doritos

MrZ
07-03-2007, 12:17 PM
I tried the X13. Pretty sure they were cheeseburger flavored.

SpectralMourning
07-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Buy For Less, LH Parkway & NW Expressway has 'em.

metro
07-03-2007, 02:17 PM
I tried the X13. Pretty sure they were cheeseburger flavored.

Actually, I think they are supposed to be Ketchup and French Fries flavored. In the bag, you get a code piece that you go to their website and play a game and you get a "hint" at the real flavor. My hint was a picture of french fries with ketchup squirted on them. The chips were really sweet, like sweet ketchup although they smelled fishy and I still say taste like cheap fishsticks and tartar sauce. Either way, I think these Doritos are a no go and even got past the testing phase.

metro
07-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Man, I picked some up last night at the I-40 and MacArthur Wal-Mart. They had single chilled cans in the fridges by the registers for 50 cents. I also picked up a case of 12 16oz cans for $4.99. I don't think they are worth all the hype. They have little less of a "kick" as was previously described. But other than that, I really couldn't tell a difference.

tuck
07-17-2007, 05:21 AM
I'm originally from Texas and can sure remember driving from Ft. Worth to Dublin, TX (75 miles) with my grandparents to spend time on their ranch. Dublin is where the "pure cane" Dr. Pepper was originally produced. We would stop at the first store inside the city line to all grab a DP in a bottle...great stuff. I only drink 1-2 soft drinks a month; but every time I see the "pure cane" DP sold, I'm buyin'.

Recipe: Pour 2 cans of "pure cane" Dr. Pepper and a cinnamon stick over 2-3 pounds of skirt steak and marinade overnight. Season with S&P and grill 2-3 minutes on each side...trust me on this one!!!

OKCMann
07-17-2007, 06:56 AM

It s bottled in Dublin,Tx and is called Dublin Dr. Pepper.

Dublin Dr Pepper (http://www.dublindrpepper.com)

Yep, the stuff is pretty high dollar but worth the occasional treat. When you drink it you remember it tasting like that many years ago and wondered when they began slipping the corn syrup stuff in there. I agree the sugar made DRP is much smoother and I prefer it to the regular blend.

Martin
07-17-2007, 07:34 AM
the variant of dp being discussed here isn't dublin dr pepper, per se, but dp made with cane sugar. therefore it may or may not be bottled in dublin, tx.

i generally prefer the taste of diet soda, but have bought this on a few occasions. if i drink regular soda, it's almost always dp. to me, the cane sugar version has a slightly sweeter taste and a cleaner finish than the corn syrup variety. i've yet to buy a can of what is labeled 'dublin dr pepper', but will likely spring for some at some point... though i'd be more likely to do so if i didn't have to order via mail.

-M

OKCMann
07-17-2007, 10:37 AM
To my knowledge Dublin is the only DP bottler to still do this. I would be interested to know if this came from another bottler. Unless someone speciffically told me otherwise I'd assume it came from Dublin.

bluedogok
07-17-2007, 11:09 AM
OKCMann is correct, Dublin Dr. Pepper (http://www.dublindrpepper.com/) is the only one distributing the sugar cane formula in both bottles and fountain. The Dr. Pepper Museum in Waco (http://www.drpeppermuseum.com/) is just a museum and no longer manufactures or bottles Dr. Pepper.

bluedogok
07-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Dublin Dr. Pepper (http://www.dublindrpepper.com/) is the only one that distributes the sugar cane formula, available in cans, bottles or fountain. The Dr. Pepper Museum in Waco (http://www.drpeppermuseum.com/) is just a museum, they do not bottle there. Here is a link the the Dublin Dr. Pepper store (http://www.olddocs.com/results.aspx?cat=Drinks&subcat1=Dr+Pepper) where you can order cans or bottles.

Martin
07-17-2007, 11:22 AM
y'know... come to think of it, i may still have an empty can of it at the house. i'll check later on tonight. -M

Martin
07-17-2007, 04:29 PM
alright. the can that i have states the typical dp bottling jargon... 'canned by a member of the coca cola bottlers' association, atlanta, ga under the authority of dr pepper company, plano, tx.'

that leads me to believe that cane sugar dr pepper is bottled by great plains coca cola bottling company rather than the dublin bottling plant. i'm therefore curious whether or not this product tastes the same as a true 'dublin dr pepper'... only one way to find out, i suppose! a friend of mine is a dr pepper junkie, i'll probably buy him a case of dublin dp for his birthday... and get one for myself while i'm at it. -M

bluedogok
07-17-2007, 08:20 PM
The Dublin Dr. Pepper has a "Made with Imperial Cane Sugar" image with an Imperial Sugar company logo on it.

Martin
07-17-2007, 08:23 PM
...and they're typical 12oz cans. the ones being marketed here have 16 ounces of dr pepper goodness. -M

OKCMann
07-17-2007, 08:40 PM
I especially like a good cup of hot DRP in the fall/winter with a bit of lemon. Mmmmm!

chrisok
07-17-2007, 09:17 PM
These cans are from Southwest Canners (Coca Cola) in Portales, NM. At least that's what the bottling code on mine says. This is a limited time promotion around here but if you're like me and must have it as much as possible, you can find it year round as close as Newcastle. The Chickasha Dr. Pepper bottler "imports" 12 oz cans and 8 oz glass bottles (the best) from Temple, TX. (Which makes the vast majority of "Dublin" DP.) Wal Mart has six packs of the cans for less than $2.00, the 8 oz glass bottles are $3.00+ per six pack, but taste amazing.

Martin
07-18-2007, 05:17 AM
interesting... so where do you find the bottling code? -M

dalelakin
07-18-2007, 06:46 PM
I think you will be seeing more and more companies go away from corn syrup and back to cane sugar as a sweetner. That is if the current trend on bio-fuels continue as it will only drive the price of corn even higher.

linze
07-19-2007, 10:13 AM
This is a great thread. Cause, I've been on the hunt for this too. The Walmart in Moore had a great deal 2 cans for $1.00 but they are all gone now. So I had to buy some at the Crest Store in Edmond. Alittle pricey but.....it was worth it.

OKCMann
07-19-2007, 05:00 PM
If I'm not mistaken some places stock Mexican Coke which is made from sugar?

tuck
07-20-2007, 06:59 AM
Not the same. You should try a Jaritto if you haven't before. It is basically a Mexican carbonated liquid sugar...sort of a novelty.

rx7guy
07-29-2007, 11:57 PM
My sister picked up some of this DR pepper yesterday the the buy for less on 23rd and penn, they all sell jaritto there.

tnajk
07-31-2007, 09:24 AM
Regarding the X13 chips, our entire family felt they tasted like Hamburger with Ketchup and Pickle. "All American" chips. And yes, I agree they were nasty!

tnajk
07-31-2007, 09:27 AM
Hey, I just checked the website and they are CHEESBURGER flavored!

CuatrodeMayo
08-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Go to POPS

POPS: Soda Ranch (http://www.pops66.com/40.0.html)

Dark Jedi
08-20-2007, 09:08 AM
If I'm not mistaken some places stock Mexican Coke which is made from sugar?

Sam's stocks this. Tastes like Old Coke did before the New Coke fiasco. (Which I still maintain was meant to fail, a way to switch to corm syrup from sugar without people noticing. It worked, mostly.)

ShiroiHikari
09-03-2007, 02:57 PM
I found this stuff several months ago at the westside Wal-Mart in Norman. I liked it, but could never finish a whole can...

tnajk
09-03-2007, 04:45 PM
I never saw this stuff at POPS, I was hoping to find some. :-(