View Full Version : Dog vs. Meterman vs. Shotgun

BailJumper
06-29-2007, 07:32 PM
article:
Pit bull shot after meter reader attacked
MIDWEST CITY — A meter reader was attacked and seriously injured by a pit bull terrier Friday, Police Chief Brandon Clabes said.

A neighbor who heard the man scream killed the dog with a shotgun, Clabes said.

Jason Fish, 25, a meter reader for Oklahoma Gas and Electric Co., was working when he was attacked about 10:20 a.m., Clabes said.

He said Fish hopped the fence at 214 E Jacobs and was approached by a gentle dog. As he worked, a second dog attacked him, the police chief said.

Fish was taken to a local hospital with serious injuries, Clabes said.

He said the neighbor who came to Fish's rescue will not be cited.

"We're grateful for his action because he prevented the meter reader from being injured more than he already was,” Clabes said.

The dog's owner, Terry Almon, was cited for harboring a vicious animal, the police chief said.

BailJumper
06-29-2007, 07:34 PM
I don't know quite what to think about this.

Many people have protective dogs in their backyard. Is it really the owner's fault when the dog is properly fenced in and is protecting its domain?

Karried
06-29-2007, 08:06 PM
That's a good point.. the man jumped over the fence.. how was the dog to know if the guy meant to harm his 'family'?

But of course, I think the meter reader should have been equipped with Pepper spray and at least acquainted himself first with the animals before hopping the fence.

I know our meter reader comes into our backyard frequently and it is kinda creepy to see a man walking on our property before realizing who it is.. but he has made friends with our Lab so it is okay.

It's a sad story all the way around.

Lauri101
06-29-2007, 08:16 PM
What's sad is that the dog owner ignored the Midwest City ordinance against pit bulls in the city. The poor animal defending his family shouldn't have been there and paid with his life.

The owner should be locked up as well as fined.

BailJumper
06-29-2007, 08:25 PM
You missed the point. itcould have been a poodle for all I care. The point is, shouldn't a person be able to keep a dog in their own backyard that will attack intruders?

I personally think some sort of registration with utilitiy compaines might help. Charge a small fee and put the utility on notice of an agressive dog on the property.

Karried
06-29-2007, 08:38 PM
That might work with a notice but sometimes dogs aren't aggressive until they are frightened or feel threatened.

u50254082
06-29-2007, 10:34 PM
I'm sure this sort of story is pretty common.. maybe not often, but the chances of it happening seem pretty good.

Back home I noticed that the meter readers use binoculars and usually find a way to read the meter without entering onto someone's property.

Was this specific meter in such a way that you had to enter the yard to view it?

MadMonk
06-30-2007, 12:12 AM
I don't know the law, but aren't you covered if you have a sign posted "Beware of Dog"?

SuperScooper
06-30-2007, 01:01 AM
You would think the utility companies would notify customers by email in regards to the scheduled day of meter reading. That way the homeowner could make sure someone is home or put the dogs inside on that specified day.

They could also create a dog-warning list that the meter readers could use as a heads up. Consumers could voluntarily list their address or the meter readers themselves could identify homes where a viscous dog may be present. That way they could knock on the door and ask the homeowner to secure the dog.

I do know ONG has added radio transmitters to their meters over the past few years. The meter reader drives in front of the house and the current meter reading is transmitted to secure computer equipment in the ONG vehicle. Not only does it eliminate the problem of dog attacks it allows meter readers to do their job faster and more efficiently.

I am surprised OG&E has not adopted the same technology.

I would assume in the near future that utility meters would have the option of connecting to your high-speed internet connection. I would make consumers more energy conscious if they could see on their pc in real-time how much, water, electricity and natural gas they were using.