View Full Version : Spray Fountains next to Melting Pot

jbrown84
06-29-2007, 02:02 PM
I noticed these were turned off lately, and now they have ripped them out. Anyone know what's going on?

TheImmortal
06-30-2007, 11:47 AM
I hope they are not permanently gone, I have had and seen many good memories made at that spot. In addition, I think it was a cool thing to have in Bricktown for visitors to cool off in the Oklahoma heat.

metro
06-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Yeah they've been working on them for several weeks now. I'm not sure what they are doing. I seriously doubt they are ripping them out, they are probably fixing them or making them better. The city has just spent millions on new spraygrounds and is building more. I'm sure the new budget just allowed for enhancements. I could be wrong though.

jbrown84
07-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Yeah, the amount of mess they've made makes me think they are repairing or improving them.

I'm just surprised there's been no small announcement about what's going on. It's actually blocking a lane of Sheridan.

Anything you can tell us, ksearls?

bwana_bob
07-02-2007, 12:51 PM
An article in the Oklahoman a few months ago indicated that there was a problem with the filtration system that required closing the attraction until replacement equipment arrived. I remember thinking at the time it was a shame they would be closed almost all summer - so it sounds like they are on schedule if they are removing some of the mechanicals at this date. The water has to meet health department requirements and could have delivered unsafe levels of contaminants. When you think about the infants and toddlers that play there, you can understand the need to solve this problem once and for all.

ksearls
07-02-2007, 12:56 PM
The spray fountains previously were running recycled water (I think same as canal) which was untreated and actually downright nasty! I'm not sure that when those fountains were created they planned on them becoming a "sprayground"

The new system they are installing is supposed to be hygienic and safe to play in. It was supposed to be finished by the 4th but, as we all know, there have been weather issues for the past 20 days and it has put the project a couple weeks behind.

jbrown84
07-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Good reasons for it, sounds like. Thanks for the info.