View Full Version : Attracting more people to this forum?

Patrick
07-21-2004, 02:11 PM
Does anyone have any idea how we could attract more people to this forum? If you haven't checked out Tulsanow.org, Tulsa has a pretty nice, and extremely active forum.

okcpulse
07-21-2004, 10:30 PM
Actually, I'm working on that. I've even turned some eyebrows at TulsaNow toward this forum. I post as TStorm on the TulsaNow Forum.

Patrick
07-21-2004, 11:05 PM
Yeah, TS told me you were TStorm on the Tulsa site. Sounds like you know a lot about what's going on in OKC politics. You remind me a lot of myself!

Back when the fight was going on between Randy Hogan and Moshe Tal I wasn't afraid to get on the phone with either of them! Unfortunately, back then I typically took Moshe's side. Guess I was wrong on that issue!!!!! :)

Anyways, looks like several of the Tulsanow guys are going to come over here and participate as well! Maybe one of these days OKC can have a site as active as Tulsanow! Actually, we used to have one that was more active than Tulsanow. Joe Schmoe on this site was the webmaster for OKC and he had a message board on cityhall's website for the longest time. That's where most of us (floater, Keith, Mr. Anderson, Steve, Hot Rod, Joe Schmoe, etc.) came from. It was a cool site because city leaders read the posts! Unfortunately, with city cut backs and all, they only have a part time webmaster, so they dumped the forum.

Hopefully we can build up this site. We definitely don't have a lack of info. to talk about. Seems like there's so much going on in OKC these days!

okcpulse
07-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Most definitely! I was really excited to see Oklahoma City getting it's own independent forum. Actually, I discovered this website as a pop-up when the Oklahoma City booming thread got started. Ever since... I've been trying to find creative ways to build discussion here in OKC! BTW, I sent you a PM.

Continue the Renaissance!

Nuclear_2525
07-21-2004, 11:32 PM
Well I think we all know who I am! Even though my main focus is on Tulsa, I hope OKC and this forum will continue to grow.

Patrick
07-22-2004, 12:14 AM
Nuclear, we definitely thank you for your thoughts and support! We wish the very same for you guys up in Tulsa as you begin your Vision 2025. Hope you get the same renaissance out of it, that we've gotten out of MAPS!

flyingcowz
07-22-2004, 05:40 PM
I just wanna say hi to everyone and i found out about this forum through tulsanow if any were wondering :D

mranderson
07-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Is this forum listed in Yahoo and the other search engines? Plus what about linking it by NewsOK.com, OKC.gov, and other media organizations.

Todd
07-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Hello mranderson!

Thank you so much for your contributions to OKCTALK!

We started registering with various search engines about mid May. We utilize the Overture PPC model which gets us ranked on several of the top engines. It usually takes a minimum of 90 days to show up on the radar screen in most cases.

Cheers!
oktalk

Todd
07-22-2004, 07:11 PM
Hi Everyone!

It looks like the posting pace is picking up. I spent a little time looking over Tulsanow and was pleasantly surprised with the great many discussions going on. I truly believe once the search engines pick us up and membership grows you will see the snow ball effect.

I also noticed they have a links directory where members can submit local web site links, news feeds, live chat, etc. Would these features or others interest you?

What about a picture gallery to post all those cool pictures of buildings and city land marks?

Take Care,
oktalk

floater
07-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Oktalk, a big yes to those ideas!! What about a "Threadspotting" feature which lists the threads most recently posted on (although you do have the New Posts link)?

By the way, I had difficulty posting a picture on a thread. Pardon my ignorance, but what do you do after the Picture Link icon above?

Todd
07-22-2004, 07:32 PM
floater,

I'm not sure but inserting pictures may be disabled. I believe there was some concern over forum vandals uploading inappropriate pictures or worse yet worms or viruses so it was disabled. Give me a few minutes and I'll double check. With a moderated picture gallery the majority of those concerns can be alleviated.

oktalk

Todd
07-22-2004, 07:46 PM
floater,

I double checked and you can insert images into your post as long as it’s accessible from a public server. In other words if you have it stored on your local hard drive it will not work. I included an example image below.

http://www.oklahomacitytalk.com/imagize/misc/top_left_logo.gif

We've considered offering premium memberships that include your own okctalk.com email address including web mail, hosting space, and access to private forums. The concept has just not yet been developed if in fact there is a demand for this type of thing anyway.

oktalk

okcpulse
07-22-2004, 10:51 PM
Just tell me where to post the photos because I have over one hundred of them of Oklahoma City from the tour book I am currently putting together.
:D

Continue the Renaissance!!!