View Full Version : Crossroads Mall

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Patrick
10-17-2004, 12:27 AM
Well, you heard it hear first when mranderson provided the information a few months back. Anyways, it finally came out in the paper today. Hopefully this announcement will re-jumpstart Crossroads Mall. The mall has really been suffering on the old Wards end. The south side really needs a good strong mall. Too bad Macerich company wasn't planning a complete mall renovation. It sure needs one....bad!

------------
"Crossroads fills empty anchor spot
By Tricia Pemberton
The Oklahoman

After three years with an empty anchor spot, Crossroads Mall is getting a new tenant.
Steve & Barry’s University Sportswear is taking both levels of the 160,000-square-foot store left vacant by Montgomery Ward in 2001.

Construction already has started at the site, with an anticipated opening of Nov. 24, said Christi Parks, marketing manager for Crossroads Mall.

The store will be the first entry into Oklahoma for the privately held company based in Port Washington, N.Y.

“Having a vacant anchor spot has been a negative for the mall, so naturally we’re very excited, and to have them open the first store in Oklahoma at Crossroads Mall is especially nice,” Parks said.

Alan Karo, chief marketing officer with Steve & Barry’s, said the company offers casual sportswear for the entire family.

“The grand opening price point will be $8.98 or less with merchandise quality that will astound people,” Karo said.

“We think that we’ll bring a whole new meaning to apparel retailing to the fine folks in Oklahoma City, and feel that once they shop with us they’ll come back again and again because they won’t be able to believe the quality at such low prices.”

The retailer also is promising 150 jobs, and will hold a recruitment fair Monday in the mall, Karo said.

Parks said the entire picture is “a real positive for the south side of Oklahoma City.”

Steve & Barry’s has 48 stores in 20 states with plans to open 15 more this year in five additional states, including stores in Dallas and Wichita, Kan.

“We think that as part of our expansion plans into the Southwest, Oklahoma is a perfect place to be and Oklahoma City is the perfect place to start out in the state.

And Crossroads Mall, specifically, is terrific with the geo-demographics right in line with where we perform well,” Karo said.

The company is looking at other locations in Oklahoma, but is not ready to disclose where, Karo said. "

mranderson
10-17-2004, 09:07 AM
At least Oklahoma City beat Dallas in getting this chain. Occasionally, we ARE first.

OUman
10-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Great news! About Oklahoma City getting something first than Dallas/Ft. Worth reminds me that Norman was to get the first North American plant from Albon Engineering and Manufacturing PLC of the UK. They were gonna build a plant in the business park down here. Is that in the process of being bult or has it already been built? As I understood, it was going to bring plenty of high-paying jobs.

OUman

Patrick
10-18-2004, 11:53 PM
That's a good qustion....I'll check into it!

Jay
06-12-2005, 02:17 AM
On Friday Channel 9 covered a story on the growing concerns about the I-35/I-240 interchange rebuild.

Currently ODOT is proposing a dallas style deck ramp system like the one at Memorial and LHP.

To do this they will need to do the following demolish an apartment complex, several houses, and several businesses around the interchange and permantly close Pole Road.

This construction is not going start until 2007. Of course Crossroads is crying crocodile tears again claiming they will lose business.

Once again Crossroads is presented with a golden oppurtuniity to close the mall and do a rebuild/remodel. I think it is safe to say Pole road will close and Crossroads' crying will fall on deaf ears.

ODOT knows that mall is dying and the needs of the traffic flow and public safety will always come before a desperate attempt to save a dying mall.

I think the community should convince Crossroads Management to do a remodel. This could take place during the interchange rebuild.

I say clear the entire neighborhood around SE 66th St. Create a new southside residential,shopping and entertainment district that would stretch from the mall to Shields.

Crossroads could close the mall entirely or close down in phases. The anchors could remain open if they desired.

I think a mills style outlet mall would be perfect for Crossroads. All you would have to do is add on a wing or two and change the parking from surface to garages in one or two areas.

The time to act is now. If we wait until the rebuild Crossroads will close. The chain stores are slowly leaving one by one, and it's just a matter of time before Foley's, Dillards, or JcPenney moves or closes thier Crossroads stores.

If I were a betting man my bet would be Foley's will be the first to go.

OUman
06-12-2005, 08:35 AM
I don't blame Crossroads Mall management, they've had their hands full getting customers back from all that construction on I-35. Closing Pole Road would be pretty bad, to say the least.

The proposed interchange is like the current I-44/I-40 interchange, w/ multilevel ramps.

OUman

bmrsnr
06-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Has anyone seen any plans for this new interchange? I know they held a public meeting where designs were shown and questions taken. I just wasn't sure if we could see the new interchange online anywhere? Thanks.

mranderson
06-12-2005, 10:28 AM
Although not a good view, one of the newscasts had a shot of them on a report.

By the way. Do yopu know what Crossroads management and the Oklahoma City Airport trust have in common? They are both too blind to see what they need to do to imporve things.

dirtrider73068
06-12-2005, 12:20 PM
How is closing pole road goingto hurt the mall. There is more thaqn one way to get into the mall. All the people would have to do is go up to 66th exit turn left and then turn into the mall. Going th epole road exit has proven to me many times its a pain cause at the same time there are others taking that exit as other are coming on from 35. They (odot) has said from research that that exit has had trouble in the past from this problem. So I think they should close it but should look at the possiablty of redoing that area for a exit from 35 to pole raod to go the mall and avoid getting on 240 only to have to exit right back off again to get to pole road. There are other options but odot is looking at the cheapest fastest way to get that interchange done and completed.

mranderson
06-12-2005, 12:59 PM
The Pole road exit is the only entrance to the mall from 240. As one of the thousands of people who live close to 240, and west of 35, it is faster to exit Pole road and go to the mall than to take 35 or even Shields to SE 66, then enter. So, for that reason, I understand the mall management's concern for not wanting to close Pole road. An entrance from 240 is very much needed. Possibly make it a deck on the stack.

Now to address the stack. Stacked entrance and exit ramps on freeways have been around a lot longer than when Dallas started using them. It is not a "Dallas style" ramp. In fact, if any city can take credit, it would be Los Angeles. The home to the first freeway. The Pasadena Freeway. (that freeway does not use stacks. However, it is the first freeway in the United States) The stack is a wonderful idea. All 240 exits need one. Yes, that is expensive. However, so are traffic accidents... especially fatal ones.

Dungeon Master
06-12-2005, 01:32 PM
I had the the Dungeon Ride set up back in 2003 when the S.E. 66 street exit was closed for construction during the fall and winter. (The manager of the mall mentioned to me back then about the I-240/Pole road thing as well).
I spoke with the mall manager and several tenants during the time frame of contruction of I-35 and all said their sales/attendance dropped around 20% just because 66th street/I-35 exit was closed and shoppers avoiding traffic from construction.
If Pole road does get shut down, there will be more problems/traffic on 66th street exit.
But of course not all the hustle is coming from the mall. All those other shops in that corner strip will be effected as well not to mention the 2 movie theaters, resturants and hotel. The media won't mention much on their impact because the impact is much bigger for the mall.
I would hate to take 20% loss on my paycheck.

Dungeon Master

poe
06-12-2005, 02:38 PM
i think macerich is probaby using the interchange as a scapegoat seeing that crossroads is an eyesore screaming for attention (and a remodel).

BricktownGuy
06-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Crossroads is simply looking for others to blame. Noone wants to go to that mall anyway.

I think OklaCity75 said it best, rebuild/remodel Crossroads or... Crossroads and macerich need to quit their b**ching.

Mr. Swenson, Senior Manager of Crossroads simply needs to quit crying like a baby and step up and get macerich to remodel this place they call their mall. They think just cause they spent $1M on their center court remodel, they can still compete with other area mall. Wake up.

okcpulse
06-13-2005, 07:15 AM
Let mall management cry. That's what they get for leaving that joke of a mall neglected. The property is ugly at best, and unkempt. It is a complete eyesore. Perhaps that mall will finally close and they'll raze it at turn it into something useful, more appealing. Then perhaps good shopping will finally return downtown. We need a new interchange at I-35/I-240 anyway.

Patrick
06-13-2005, 02:29 PM
Seems like mall management always finds someone to blame. For years now, construction has been ongoing on I-35, and it isn't until recently that construction has affected mall traffic. What about back in the 80's was booming and they were just starting the widening project on I-35? Why didn't they complain then?

I-44 doesn't provide the greatest access to Penn Square Mall......the west bound side has an off ramp that comes out directly in front of the mall, but the east bound side exits off and directs you over to Classen, completely out of the way of the mall. Mall management at Penn Square could make the same complaint that they don't have decent traffic flow from the interstate.

Well, as you know, it doesn't seem to hurt Penn Square any.

If someone wants to make the mall a destination, they're going to find a way to get there. Crossroads Blvd. is a great alternative.

The real reason people aren't going to Crossroads is becaue the place looks like a dungeon. Sorry to steal a phrase from a new member, but our very own Dungeon Master could turn the entire place into a Dungeon, and he wouldn't have to spend a lot of money.
The place has become a real eyesore over recent years, and mall management has done little to fix it.

While Quail Springs and Penn Square have spent millions to revamp their malls, Crossroads hasn't had an answer. What's killing Crossroads isn't highway problems. No, instead what's killing Crossroads is pure mismanagement.

dirtrider73068
06-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Well then maybe crossroads could clean up and make it look better including the inside, adn maybe they Odot could make a exit off 35 to pole road to crossroads. Kinda like the one they have now but not that you have to exit to 240 then exit back off again to pole road. Maybe that would be a worthy idea, then they couldn't gripe about not haveing traffic come in, but of course the mall exit would have to be built first then close pole road or nobody would get anywhere. I have quit going to crossroad just the fact of the constrution was the most of it plus its a drive for me to get there when I can just go to sonner fashion and enjoy there total mall renovation. And I think they are still adding new shops and renovating the inside. ALthough sonner fashion parking lot could handle a makeover and clean up but hte mall and inside its self to me is nice and I like it.

Pete
06-13-2005, 03:44 PM
IMO, Crossroads made a big mistake by not incorporating the theater into the mall, ala Quail Springs. At least, QS eventually go it right after having a similar arrangement when they first opened.

That mall is really in sad shape and since it's so visible from the freeways, is a black eye for the whole city.

Sadly, I worked there as a college student at Orbach's... Yes, there was a time when the mall was home to several up-scale tenants.

Keith
06-13-2005, 04:06 PM
The sad thing is, I live in south OKC, about 10 minutes from Crossroads, and I shop at Penn Square Mall. The only reason I have had to go to Crossroads, is when I need to go see my son, because he works at the Chik-Fil-A in the mall. Even he has been telling me that the mall has been real slow and that business is way down.

It's really pitiful to drive around the mall and to see all of the empty parking places, and the empty stores. It seems at times that there are more people at the movie theaters than at the mall. They can spend all they want to on the inside of the mall, however, it still doesn't change the ugly on the outside.

adaniel
06-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Crossroads sufffers very bad management, because with a little good investment and good business sense that mall should be booming. Herritage Park Mall in MWC is seriously lagging, leaving the eastside high and dry. There is no other competion for a good 10 or 12 miles (Isn't Crossroads the only mall in Oklahoma County south of I-40?). Westmoore is exploding in income and population growth. With all of these positives, any real estate investor with a speck of intelligence should be falling head over heel to keep that mall in tip-top shape. Instead, it has suffered terribly. In addition, its the first big mall that people coming up from DFW via 1-35 will see. What a horrible way to greet outsiders! In any event, the intersection at 1-35 and 1-240 is little more than an outdated 1970's cloverleaf made for the 1970's and should have been gone a long time ago. If road construction is the bullet that kills an entire mall despite the horrendous traffic around Penn Square and Quail Springs, then so be it. Maybe then somebody with a mind could buy that place and make it a halfway decent mall.

venture
06-13-2005, 07:34 PM
The best option may be to just go through and start over from scratch. The trend nationally anyway is away from classic mall setups to open air "lifestyle" centers. Two such projects include The Shops at La Cantera in San Antonio and The Shops at Fallen Timbers in Toledo OH.

http://www.generalgrowth.com/properties/ndFallen_timbers.htm

http://www.generalgrowth.com/properties/ndCantera.htm

http://www.leviscommons.com/

Jay
06-13-2005, 10:16 PM
I am going to look into my crystal ball and make a prediction for Crossroads.

Within the next 5 years a major retail development will be announced for the Bricktown/Downtown OKC area. This development will be a major shopping district that will attract national retailers that already exist in OKC as well as new retailers.

Crossroads will lose two of thier anchor stores and several smalller stores to this new shopping district.

Major retail and grocery stores are coming to downtown. The only thing holding this development back is a lack of housing. As soon sufficent housing is built downtown the retailers will start building. Mark my words major retail shopping will be back downtown very soon.

adaniel
06-14-2005, 10:35 AM
If anyone is interested, there's a link to the propsed design on ODOT's web site under the "Meetings" section

Looks like the Pole Rd exit is a goner, as well as a really shady looking apartment complex on the NW side.

Pete
06-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Here's that image:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/crossroads.jpg

Patrick
06-14-2005, 10:58 AM
Sorta resembles the Ft. Smith junction. It definitely looks nice on paper.

Any idea what the mall circulation route is?

From the image, I still don't understand why they couldn't keep Pole Rd. open.

Patrick
06-14-2005, 11:02 AM
I am going to look into my crystal ball and make a prediction for Crossroads.

Within the next 5 years a major retail development will be announced for the Bricktown/Downtown OKC area. This development will be a major shopping district that will attract national retailers that already exist in OKC as well as new retailers.

Crossroads will lose two of thier anchor stores and several smalller stores to this new shopping district.

I'll be curious to see if downtown has that big of a draw. Seems like most of the department stores like to keep a northside and southside location, so the draw from a downtown location retail complex would have to be enough for some of those stores to give up their south side location.

By the way, at Crossroads all of the department stores own their own buildings...so that's another issue. Dillards has quite a bit of money wrapped up in their 3 story facility there.

If Crossroads is going to come back as a mall, mall management will need to invest at least $30 million to completely overhaul the inside and out.

I can't see Macerich Properties doing this, but forward thinking would come up with a plan like this.....they could consider demolishing the inside concourse, turn it all into nicely tree-lined roads, parks, and parking, and turn it all into a 2 story open air shopping center.

Crossroads may be too far gone to save as a mall in its current format.

John
06-14-2005, 11:14 AM
The 'mall circulation route' is just a re-routing of the road that curves around behind the Residence Inn and Best Buy.

Jay
06-14-2005, 11:27 AM
By the way, at Crossroads all of the department stores own their own buildings...so that's another issue. Dillards has quite a bit of money wrapped up in their 3 story facility there.

A retail company owning a store outright has never prevented a store from closing. The only reason I'm making this prediction is because the traffic count is down.

I could very easily seeing Macy's closing the Crossroads Foley's. Just simply because every company trims the fat after a merger. If the Crossroads Foley's is not making a reasonable profit it will close. I don't think they would lose too much business with stores being 15 minutes away at either Sooner or Penn Square.

JcPenney is not doing very well these days. I could see them closing the Crossroads store as well as others as means of restructuring the company.

Dillards would probably be the last to go just because of the money they have tied up in Crossroads.

Interstate construction has nothing do with Crossroads demise. In the retail world if you provide an awesome product, or shopping expierence your customers will go out of there way to get to you.

Besides, I don't remember Quail suffering at all when the Kilpatrick was built. If some of you remember it was a nightmare navigating around the turnpike construction.

Jay
06-14-2005, 11:49 AM
I was just looking at this ODOT map and basically there is no way to keep pole road open. If you have ever drove I-35 northbound and have tried to access I-240 east or west bound you know how backed up that area gets.

ODOT is bringing a feeder ramp that has merging traffic from I-35 north and southbound entering 240 east right before Pole Rd. It would be absoultely stupid to leave Pole Rd. open.

You would have accidents everyday from people trying to change lanes to access Pole Rd and from people that are accessing 240 east from I-35. As well all know people in this city do not know how to merge.

I looked at every possible way to change the routing. As someone else said it looks like Pole Rd. Is a goner.

Jay
06-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Besides this rebuild will give Crossroads increased visibility from the elevated ramps. So as I said before, it's time to remodel.

Patrick
06-14-2005, 11:59 AM
The visiblity it should get should be very similar to Mathis Brothers. You know, Mathis Brothers has no access from either I-40 or I-44, yet it's still the most successful furniture store in OKC. Heck, to get to Mathis Bros. you have to get off at either NW 10th, or Meridian, then come back to Reno and Portland.

See, this is a great example...if people really like the product you offer, they'll come to your business no matter how difficult and out of the way it is. And believe me.....getting to Mathis Bros. from the highway is always a challenge for me. Do you see Mathis Bros. complaining? Nope! In fact, they've only expanded their store over recent years.

Patrick
06-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Looks like Crossroads is going to try to fight this one. I suppose they're entitled to.....but, hey, if Crossroads wins, maybe Mathis Brothers should start complaining that their business is hurting because they don't have an access ramp from either I-4 or I-44. Yeah Right.

-----------
"Highway project near Crossroads meets opposition

By Ryan McNeill
The Oklahoman

Lawmakers are complaining about a $130 million plan to redesign the ramp system at the Interstate 35 and Interstate 240 interchange in south Oklahoma City.
Mall officials fight for interstate exit

Several legislators sent out statements Tuesday saying businesses in the area -- particularly Crossroads Mall -- would suffer under construction planned to begin in 2008 and run at least through 2013.

At issue is a possible plan to close the Pole Road exit, which serves as an entrance to Crossroads Mall, near the interstate junction. The mall hired engineers to study the interchange plan, and state Transportation Department officials will meet with them next week.

"We are definitely willing to meet with the mall and their representative," said Cole Perryman, a spokesman for the Transportation Department.

Environmental approval was just granted for the project and design planning is just starting, Perryman said. "We're kind of at the perfect time for taking input"

The plan seeks to rebuild the interchange from a cloverleaf form into one mirroring the Fort Smith junction on I-35. It's intended to improve traffic flow and increase safety."

Patrick
06-15-2005, 11:11 AM
"Mall officials fight for interstate exit

By Tricia Pemberton
The Oklahoman

Crossroads Mall officials are worried that the reconstruction of the Interstate 240 interchange with Interstate 35 will significantly reduce traffic to the mall.
Highway project near Crossroads meets opposition

At issue is the Oklahoma Transportation Department's design that calls for the closing of the Pole Road exit.

"Our surveys show about 40 percent of shoppers come to the mall from that exit. It's really our front door, and we've spent several years developing along that side," said Christy Parks, marketing director for the mall.

Parks said the Transportation Department's original plans included saving the Pole Road exit, but the Federal Highway Administration determined the exit would not be safe so close to the redesigned exit ramps.

The mall hired its own engineering firm, DeShazo Tang, to develop a plan that would either save the Pole Road exit or move it further east toward the railroad tracks. This would keep shoppers from having to go an additional six-tenths of a mile to another exit before doubling back to get to the mall, Parks said.

"We're wanting ODOT to give serious consideration to our proposal. They have indicated that they would look at our proposal, but we want to make sure they do," Parks said.

Craig Moody, public involvement officer for planning and research, said the Transportation Department is considering the mall's plan.

"We are looking at that currently. Our senior staff is going to meet with Crossroads Mall to discuss that plan. I can't say we're going to use that. The Federal Highway Administration has some say about access roads; we are governed by their guidelines," Moody said.

Even if the exit ramp closes, Pole Road would stay open with the bridge tied to the access roads, Moody said.

Transportation officials held their third public hearing last week about the interchange reconstruction, said public information officer Cole Perryman.

"The purpose of the meeting was to finalize our environmental studies of the area, and now we can finalize our roadway design," Perryman said.

If a design is passed by the Federal Highway Administration, right-of-way acquisitions could begin by the end of the year, and construction might start in 2007, Perryman said.

Sen. Debbe Leftwich, D-Oklahoma City, is concerned for the mall and her constituents if the transportation department decides to close Pole Road.

"When you come to the mall from the west side of town, that's the exit you take. If you look at the project, it could damage the hotel business, the movie theater, the Texas Roadhouse restaurant and the new Best Buy. Those businesses haven't been there that long," Leftwich said.

Moody said the Transportation Department developed an alternate plan that would route traffic around the front of businesses on the southwest side of the mall and no plans are under way to acquire any of the businesses.

Leftwich also took issue with the way last week's public hearing was conducted.

"What I witnessed Thursday night, I would never call a public hearing. There was no presentation, no format for public discussion. I am quite concerned about that," Leftwich said.

Perryman said the meeting was conducted in an open-house format with officials available to answer questions and displays set up to show the department's planned road design.

Parks said the mall already lived through 13 months of slower traffic while I-35 was widened.

"Our primary concern is we would be affected forever with the closure of Pole Road," she said. "

Jay
06-15-2005, 11:24 AM
delete

Jay
06-15-2005, 11:27 AM
The Federal Highway Administration has some say about access roads; we are governed by their guidelines," Moody said.

I think it's safe to say Pole Rd. will close. This statement alone says who has final say so on the closure. I can tell you right now what that answer will be. As a means of public safety and traffic control Pole Road will close.

The only thing Crossroads will get is better signage that will direct traffic to the Mall. Such as signage on 240 east that directs traffic to take 35 south and exit on SE 66th. The Feds could care less about how a highway will effect local businesses. If that were the case I-40 would not have replaced route 66.

Christi Parks please stop your whining and convince your slum lord company to remodel your mall. Turn your mall into a destination mall. Just like the local competing malls have done. Then you won't have to cry about road construction everytime ODOT comes along to improve your area.

thevacman
06-15-2005, 02:51 PM
People keep talking about the pole rd. closure due to the danger of merging traffic. What about the ridiculous way the SE 66th exit is designed? The traffic north on 35 must cross the traffic merging from 240 and vice-versa this is the type of situation they want to avoid with Pole Rd. Why then does it exist at 66th and how long before they will be talking about that exit as well. As for the Pole exit they could merely do what any large city would do and make the Pole Rd ramp exit 240 just before the feeder ramps from 35 merge. The Pole exit ramp would simply go under the feeder ramps from 35 still providing an exit at Pole from 240 eastbound. A similar thing could be done at 66th also. Someone just needs to think outside the box.

Jay
06-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Overall the situation with the interstates is neither here nor there. The fact of the matter is Crossroads Management is just using the construction issue an excuse.

Practically every OKC area mall has access problems. Every mall except Crossroads has found a creative way to work around thier traffic problems. (Most of them have done so without taxpayer expense.)

Crossroads refuses to see the true issues that are effecting thier traffic slump. The true issues are as plain as day to everyone who shops there. It's also clear those who have chosen to take thier business elsewhere.

Malls were originally created as destination shopping centers. Quail, Penn, and Sooner have established that and continue to operate with that mentality.

BricktownGuy
06-20-2005, 11:42 PM
I was in OKC last week and my sister in law insisted she needed to visit a Dillard's before leaving the OKC area. The closest Dillards was in Crossroads Mall, so after fighting my with inner thought (whether to go to Crossroads or not) I had to decide to make a stop there. We were in a bit of a hurry and did not have time to go to Penn or Quail.

I was surprised as to how many people were actually inside Crossroads. I mean, there was not packed, but there were more people than I thought there would be.

We all should boycott Crossroads. Like someone said earlier, the other OKC malls also have access problems and they are finding ways around it.

Patrick
06-21-2005, 07:31 AM
You have to remember, Crossroads is the only mall on the southside, so that explains all of the people. I still don't understand why the mall with the best location (at the crossroads of two major interstates) is having problems. It's all mismanagement.

I don't want to hear anymore about how they're gonig to have access problems. As I've already said.....Mathis Brothers has no access from either interstate bordering it, yet they still manage to be one of the top selling furniture stores in the nation....yup, that's right, the nation!

Jay
06-22-2005, 12:16 AM
To go to Mathis Brothers you have to come from the west. If you come from the east you have to pass the store and make a u turn in front of Bob Mills.

The Mathis Brothers have asked the city for a turn lane in front of there store but, the city refused to do so. What did they do? They adjusted. Instead of crying to the media they put plenty of signage around the immediate area to guide customers thier way.

Not to mention they provide an awesome product and service. People drive from miles around to shop in thier store. Every weekend the place is packed and the loading area is backed up several cars deep.

Patrick
06-22-2005, 09:52 AM
To go to Mathis Brothers you have to come from the west. If you come from the east you have to pass the store and make a u turn in front of Bob Mills.

The Mathis Brothers have asked the city for a turn lane in front of there store but, the city refused to do so. What did they do? They adjusted. Instead of crying to the media they put plenty of signage around the immediate area to guide customers thier way.

Not to mention they provide an awesome product and service. People drive from miles around to shop in thier store. Every weekend the place is packed and the loading area is backed up several cars deep.

Just goes to show you that access to your store doesn't really make a difference if you have a decent product to offer with quality service to back it up.

Keith
07-08-2005, 12:43 PM
I went to Crossroads Mall this morning at around 11 this morning, and I thought the mall had not opened yet. There were very few cars in the lot, and then, when I went inside, it was like a ghost town. There was hardly anybody there.

At least I know that I can count on getting a good parking spot when I go to Crossroads.

JOHNINSOKC
07-08-2005, 02:41 PM
That is very SAD and EMBARRASSING!!!

soonerliberal
06-28-2006, 03:20 PM
I am just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the future of Crossroads Mall. I went in there last week and frankly felt unsafe the whole time I was in there. From the outside, the mall looks not too different from Quail Springs, but once you go in, it is the polar opposite. An increasing number of stores are no-namers and the overall appearance is trashy. It easily could be considered "the ghetto mall". The only store that remotely is targeted to the college aged audience is American Eagle. I've even heard JC Penney is possibly looking to relocate to a freestanding store at Riverwalk in Moore. I'm not quite sure why this is since the location is perfect: it's the closest mall to the wealthiest zip code in Oklahoma and is at the intersection of 2 major interstates. Although there are some lackluster areas around Crossroads, the same could be said for Penn Square. Personally I give the mall 5 years before it is gone.

So my question to you is: Is Crossroads dying away, and what can be done to fix it if possible?

SoonerDave
06-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Crossroads, as ineptly managed as it is, is a gold mine compared to the pepetually-failing Heritage Park Mall. If Heritage Park can persist in what appears to be an ongoing vegetative state, with only one anchor tenant, a Chik-fil-A, and a handful of no-names, then surely Crossroads can endure.

I personally think your "ghetto" description is overboard. The mall's biggest problem is its age, (32 years if memory serves), and virtually nothing has been done to enhance its image short of a minor remodel about a decade ago. It still looks like a mall from 1974 with its concrete floors and absentee design.

As I understand it, the mall started it's fall into disarray back in the mid 80's, when the then co-owners of the mall (whom were supposedly at perptual odds with each other) would not settle on a long-term vision for the site. As a result, nothing happened, and neither side would budge due to stubbornness, indifference, or maybe both. And, as I said, that's all third party info. May be urban legend.

With three anchor tenants and some decent core shops, Crossroads' present problems (aside from its lack of currency) are a) the area around it, and b) the gang crowd that area attracts. They've tried to mount a bit of an "offensive" to chase the teenagers out, but the shooting from a few weeks ago is horrible long-term publicity. They can't do too much about the deteriorating area around the site, unfortunately.

Crossroads needs an overhaul inside and out, and I just don't know if the present ownership is interested in spending the money on it. When it opened, it was a bit of a grand spectacle. Here's hoping the owners don't just let it disintegrate into irrelevance.

-SoonerDave

diesel
06-28-2006, 04:33 PM
I am just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the future of Crossroads Mall. I went in there last week and frankly felt unsafe the whole time I was in there. From the outside, the mall looks not too different from Quail Springs, but once you go in, it is the polar opposite. An increasing number of stores are no-namers and the overall appearance is trashy. It easily could be considered "the ghetto mall". The only store that remotely is targeted to the college aged audience is American Eagle. I've even heard JC Penney is possibly looking to relocate to a freestanding store at Riverwalk in Moore. I'm not quite sure why this is since the location is perfect: it's the closest mall to the wealthiest zip code in Oklahoma and is at the intersection of 2 major interstates. Although there are some lackluster areas around Crossroads, the same could be said for Penn Square. Personally I give the mall 5 years before it is gone.

So my question to you is: Is Crossroads dying away, and what can be done to fix it if possible?

What is the weathiest zip code in Oklahoma!?!? I would have figured it was Nichols Hills which is closer to Penn..

JOHNINSOKC
06-28-2006, 07:31 PM
I believe the reference is to 73170 which I last heard was the THIRD wealthiest in the state and encompasses Moore and far south OKC. As for whether or not Crossroads is dying, I think the threat is there considering the fact that the fourth largest in the nation and much more upscale mall is being planned for Norman off I-35. I really believe that the Mills Corporation should look at the Crossroads area for one of their outlet(Grapevine Mills-type)malls to replace Crossroads. I think it would be a HUGE success given the fact that OKC lacks anything like it.

SoonerDave
06-28-2006, 08:39 PM
The 73170 zip code, and more specifically the area more generally in the NW region of that zipcode, represents the highest income demographic in all of central Oklahoma - higher than Edmond, Nichols Hills, lots of other areas that most people "think" are the high-dollar areas.

I don't think Crossroads is going away, but it needs help. The outlet-mall concept might work, but if you've gone by Gainesville lately you realize that many of them aren't "outlets" at all anymore, and no longer have the price appeal that made them popular to begin with.

I haven't heard anything about some super-mega-mall in Norman. Can you give any more details? The folks at Sooner Mall probably would like to know about it...

The sad thing right now for near SW and SE OKC is that there is a gold mine of new commercial opportunity, but MWC, Moore, and even Norman are grabbing it while OKC is sitting on it hands.

When I griped to someone about there being no Barnes and Noble in SW OKC, I was told that part of the reason is that those areas are offering tax incentives OKC won't. It's almost like they're scared for SW OKC to be successful. I really resent the heck out of it, too. There's a marvelous spot for a nice B & N in that new 240 Penn Plaza, or even around I-240 and Walker, heck you could plow down part of that nasty ol Southern Hills Shopping Center and put up a *great* looking B&N from scratch.

Anyway, I rant on. But the SW part of OKC is vastly underappreciated. Heck, we can't even get people to believe we can read down here south of Reno, so we can't even get a darned bookstore...

-SoonerDave

soonerliberal
06-28-2006, 08:51 PM
At this point, the Norman mega-shopping complex is consisting of a SuperTarget that will most likely open in November. It is NOT going to be a closed in mall and word is that Sooner Mall actually is looking forward to the addition. The Norman city council just recently approved a Tax Increment Finance District for the two miles along I-35 between Robinson and Tecumseh Rds. Missouri hotel developer John Q. Hammons signed a letter of intent last month to build a $50 million, 10-story, 240-room Embassy Suites Hotel and 65,000-square foot conference center on the site if the TIF was approved. It was approved 2 weeks ago.

According to the Norman economic development coalition website, the eventual plans consist of the following:

Three major components included in the TIF project plan are:

A major retail development within the southern portion of the project area;

A lifestyle center, which includes a large portion of the southern half of the project area. "The vision for the lifestyle center includes the high-end retail development and key entertainment components, including a theater, anchored by Legacy Park and a hotel-conference center complex. Legacy Park is envisioned as an active park with a lake, public art and open spaces surrounded by destination restaurants and boutique shops," reads the plan.

Major economic development, office and mixed-use development in the northern portion of the project area, which would focus on creating quality job opportunities in high-tech, financial intellectual property and administrative businesses.

The nice thing about this is that the University of Oklahoma Foundation has some extremely strict building guidelines. The SuperTarget already has a significant amount of brick and is in the University building "Cherokee Gothic" style.

OSUFlounder
06-28-2006, 09:12 PM
I second the comment about not having a book store. 73170 must be one of the wealthiest zips (along with many other areas booming in the south metro)because we are expected to afford gas to drive all over the city to shop!

fromdust
06-28-2006, 09:45 PM
go here for wealthy zip codes.

http://wealth.mongabay.com/cities/OKLAHOMA.html

Martin
06-29-2006, 06:40 AM
i've shopped at crossroads nearly my whole life. while the mall has been on a downward trend for the ten or so years, i'd say that it has deteriorated drastically in the last couple years. the last time i went was a couple months ago and i'd have to say that ghetto is not an overstatement. if it weren't for the anchors there'd be nothing there. needless to say, i don't shop there regularly any more and after my last experience i'll likely avoid it further.

as a provider of quality goods and services, crossroads is dying away. however, the likelihood of the mall being torn down in the next ten years is pretty slim in my opinion.

what would it take to bring crossroads back to life? first and foremeost, the mall needs to rid itself of loitering teens and wanna-be gang members. they just take up space, damage property and scare off real customers.

as for the norman project, when the plan said 'theatre' did it imply a movie theatre? if so, i-35 is already saturated. crossroads has a first-run & a dollar theatre. warren is building between fourth and 19th on i-35. norman has a first run & a dollar theatre on robinson & i-35. i'm not sure that the market could bear another theatre.

-M

SoonerDave
06-29-2006, 06:46 AM
as for the norman project, when the plan said 'theatre' did it imply a movie theatre? if so, i-35 is already saturated

Agree completely. There's already a recognition that the theater market in the central OKC area is saturated, which made the Warren Theaters project a surprise unto itself, but to think Norman wants to build yet antoher one just down I-35 is just bizarre.

Pardon the pun, but Crossroads is at a crossroads. They're not yet in the nearly-vacant position that Heritage Park is, but they're not far from it. The owners need to wake up and do something...

-SoonerDave

writerranger
06-29-2006, 08:21 AM
Those of you familiar with Houston might know of Sharpstown Mall in SW Houston just off the SW Freeway (59). At one time, it was the showplace mall of Houston, the first indoor, air-conditioned mall in all of Greater Houston. It anchored the first Foley's and people drove from all around to see it. Fast forward to today: Sharpstown Mall is a ghetto unto itself. Management tried extensive renovations a couple of times but could not get rid the crime element. In fact, and this is sad, the Houston Police Department has a full sub-station inside the mall. Sometimes when they're lost - they're lost. I fear Crossroads is at the threshhold of crossing that point of no return and being lost - for good.

Luke
06-29-2006, 09:27 AM
I'm thinking Crossroads Mall may be a lost cause as well.

If Crossroads is to come back, they need to rename it, redo the outside of it, add landscaping throughout the parking lot, do a massive interior renovation, and send out a press release explaining how their standards are moving up, several tenants are being released and many new leases have been signed with national retailers.

After this renaming and massive changes, an ad campaign all over OKC and even Oklahoma boasting Oklahoma's newest and biggest mall with absolutely no reference to Crossroads, then MAYBE they can pull out of this ghetto mindset and people would return.

But, from what I see, this management is VERY poor. And I doubt any of that will happen.

SoonerDave
06-29-2006, 11:30 AM
Historically, I think Crossroads has been *horribly* managed. I'm no property expert, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that you have to maintain, upgrade, remodel a high-profile retail property like that to keep it contemporary. For heaven's sake, look what they did with Penn Square and how it has blossomed in the last 15 years?

-SoonerDave

writerranger
06-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Historically, I think Crossroads has been *horribly* managed. I'm no property expert, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that you have to maintain, upgrade, remodel a high-profile retail property like that to keep it contemporary. For heaven's sake, look what they did with Penn Square and how it has blossomed in the last 15 years?-SoonerDave

I agree, Dave. 100%. The funny thing is - and I said this in another post maybe months back - if Penn Square were developed today as it was originally, we would all think it was pretty cool. That whole outside shopping square with pretty flower-filled landscaping would be considered "different" and "urban-flavored." Ironic really. Because they took all that and transformed it into an almost perfect suburban mall. They have done most everything right at Penn Square. But it's fun to remember how unique the original Penn Square was and how if it were built today -- we would be oohing and aweing.

----

Bobby H
06-29-2006, 08:05 PM
There's already a recognition that the theater market in the central OKC area is saturated, which made the Warren Theaters project a surprise unto itself, but to think Norman wants to build yet antoher one just down I-35 is just bizarre.

Who says all those existing theaters are going to survive?

New theaters replace old ones. Older first run theaters are often converted to 2nd run/bargain houses. Others are simply closed and either demolished or converted into some other kind of commercial building. I can point to several businesses here in Lawton whose buildings were formerly home to movie theaters (one now houses a Blockbuster Video location).

Warren Theatres' Moore 20 project is intended to be a "destination theater," with quality worth driving some considerable distance to experience. It's a new breed of multiplex starting to appear in a few places around the nation. This trend won't be as big as the stadium seated theater building frenzy that began in 1995 with AMC's The Grand 24 in Dallas. But these new theaters are definitely going to cause a lot of other cookie cutter multiplex sites to either close or be demoted to 2nd-run/bargain status.

I visited the Spotlight 14 in Norman when it first opened in the late 1990s and was not impressed at all with it then. There's nothing terribly remarkable about the Regal complex next to Crossroads Mall either. The new Warren location will take a great deal of business from both.

It's certainly feasible for a new theater to get built within Norman or on its northern fringe, mainly because Norman currently has no decent movie theater right now. The other theaters in Norman will then face an uncertain future.

Luke
06-29-2006, 10:32 PM
I thought Warren had purchased some land up on Memorial and Macarthur or something like that, supposedly to be used for one of these "luxury" theaters.

I don't know if the luxuries of this Warren theater in Moore will be enough to sway the UppityNorthSiders© to drive 20-25 miles across town away from the doing-their-job-just-fine cineplexes like AMC Quail Springs or Harkins in Bricktown, especially considering they'll be watching a movie surrounded by SouthSiders©.

;)

hipsterdoofus
06-30-2006, 07:49 AM
t's the closest mall to the wealthiest zip code in Oklahoma and is at the intersection of 2 major interstates.

Maybe its because the wealthiest people don't go to the mall to shop?

Also, as far as interstates are concerned, I-240 isn't all that major...I mean, in OKC maybe it is, but, but its not like its some mother road that all traffic through town goes down.

SoonerDave
07-02-2006, 06:48 AM
Maybe its because the wealthiest people don't go to the mall to shop?[quote]

That's it; I hear the wealthiest people don't go to the bathroom either; they just explode when they turn 40 or their net worth hits $1B. :)

[quote]Also, as far as interstates are concerned, I-240 isn't all that major

Guess you don't drive it very often, do you? Or, put another way, what do you consider major?

Let's see; it was originally two lanes both directions, then widened to six lanes around S. OKC because of traffic volume; service roads had to be rebuilt into one-way routes with Texas turn-arounds to accomodate the volume of entrance/exit traffic and accidents around the service roads; its interchange with I-35 is going to be rebuilt to handle the loads; nah, nobody uses it. Sorry for the sarcasm, but to say "I-240 isn't all that major" and then follow it up by saying "in OKC maybe it is," is a prima-facia contradiciton. In what other context might it be major??

I've driven it along with a few other umpteenthousand other folks every day to and from work for the last 18 years, and I don't think any of us would say it's not a "mother road" within S. OKC/S. OK County

Understand that, as far as supplemental, 3-digit interstates go, most large cities have a central artery like I-40, but from sheer necessity constructed a shunt around high-volume areas, which is precisely what I-240 is. In that vein, it's a *very* heavily traveled stretch, and serves as a significant route for Tinker and (former) GM employees, serves as the major route to the primary entrance to Crossroads, and carves a swath down a breadth of a densely populated region of S. OKC retail and corresponding residential areas. It also serves as an alternative route into southern Oklahoma county from eastern parts of the state. And that says nothing of the fact that it has saved the ol Crosstown from an even more precipitous decline from the traffic with which it would have inevitably been burdened had 240 never been built.

If you're comparing I-240 to, say, I-635 in Dallas, well of *course* it isn't as heavily traveled. But within the context of the region in which it was built, it is very much a "mother road." (or at least a stepmother)...

-SoonerDave