View Full Version : Crossroads Mall

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Soonerman
09-24-2009, 08:58 PM
That was also back when the mall still had the other 3 anchors. Macerich ended up getting possession of the old Wards space and leasing it to Steve and Barrys. I don't know any anchor that would want to take that huge of a risk to move in there now. If anyone chooses to lease out those large anchor spaces it will likely be a church, flea market, or possibly someone needing a large amount of office space, which is what happened with Shepherd Mall.

Oh yeah I knew it was when they had the 3 anchors. Now the mall just looks depressing. I agree with you that it's finished as a retail center.

oustud7
09-25-2009, 07:54 PM
There are still stores opening each month. There have been two new stores open since the last posting on this thread even! What people don't realize is that Crossroads Mall still has over 80 stores that are OPEN!!!

Last time I checked Quail and Sooner were not doing "great" they are both in bankruptcy right now! Retail as a whole is not doing well and that surely doesn't help any of the traditional malls but guess what? Crossroads is for sale...there are people interested...there are deals to be made...there will be a new beginning for Crossroads!

Everyone keeps talking about the doom and gloom and losing Crossroads, yet another "southside" location but where are these so called Southsiders shopping?? Maybe before we start bashing all that is Crossroads Mall we should look at ourselves in the mirror. How about coming out and finding a way to support the mall instead of bashing it? How about keeping your shopping dollars in South OKC? How about being a LOYAL customer to a mall that has been around for over 30 years?

Like I said before, Crossroads has over 80 stores to shop at. Why not come by and pump a little bit of your hard earned dollars into a mall that needs your help?? Instead of bashing it why don't we help it? Even if you just stop by Kool Stuff to pick up your OU/OSU merchandise...or Xtreme Nutrition for your supplement needs...or Ted's Hallmark for your cards...or Waldenbooks for your reading pleasure. I know this would help the tenants greatly and I do know from my shopping experience that the employees at the stores at Crossroads Mall are excited to help each and every customer. That is what it is all about after all. Don't knock it until you try it!

Yes... It has over 80 stores. But 60 of those stores are total CRAP with nothing that the public at large has any interest in. And so what if it has 80 stores? Last year it had 95. the year before it had over 100. and when the mall was full it had something like 140 stores. Its barely half full now, and the shops it has are low-rent, crap-o-toriums. sorry, this mall is all but gone and you people who have some emotional need to see it revived need to take a look inside and figure out why it means that much to you.

MikeOKC
09-25-2009, 08:27 PM
If anyone chooses to lease out those large anchor spaces it will likely be a church, flea market, or possibly someone needing a large amount of office space, which is what happened with Shepherd Mall.

Patrick, Oh no! You probably gave Craig Groeschel an idea, but not just an anchor spot but the whole place! He could build a LifeChurch Disneyland in that monstrosity.

kd5ili
09-26-2009, 05:28 PM
They might stand a better chance of selling it if they would get rid of all the homeless people that camp out on the grounds.

megax11
09-26-2009, 09:26 PM
All of this Crossroads talk keeps reminding me of the two dreams I had where I was in seperate parts of the mall, but it all had the same look after a renovation.

Looked really brown, but modern with very nice tiling.

I wish it would revamp itself, and the surrounding areas developed around it, and Toys R Us's sorry butt would stay put.

I guess only time will tell what happens to this sucker, but I don't hope for it to be some stupid government complex that would only help drive southside OKC further down the retail hole.

megax11
09-26-2009, 09:41 PM
The southside shoppers are going to strip malls on I-240 and to Moore to shop.

^^^^^^^^^^^

And that is the problem... The more southsiders go to Moore, Norman, northside, the more those areas flourish. We have to stop giving money to other towns, and parts of the metro, or we can kiss any hope of southside flourishing, goodbye... Then all we will have are tons of empty plazas, with bingo halls, and jacked up parking lots.

Even though I am highly regarded as a good paying customer at Toys R Us, I have told them that I can't support a store that is bailing after all the years they've been there. If they would just move to an area on southside where people actually can see them, I'm sure more people would pay attention. However, they think Moore is the green on the other side.

So I won't be supporting TRU unless I can get my videogames cheap, or they have free events. Basically, I will use them, like I feel used in helping them with all of my money, pay for the new building in Moore, just for them to run out, instead of looking at things with a fair amount of equality.

I still go to Crossroads and shop for my games and such, so I'm doing my part. Though it pains me to walk through a place I grew up on. Me and an ex girlfriend of mine used to love going there every single time we could. We'd sit on the stage and eat Chic-fil-A, before heading out to do things.

KarenAGypsy
09-27-2009, 02:11 AM
Oh yeah I knew it was when they had the 3 anchors. Now the mall just looks depressing. I agree with you that it's finished as a retail center.

I hope this is some other Soonerman and not my friend, Jerry. If it is you Jerry, let me know and I'll come over there and knock the stuffing out o' ya!!! :fighting2

If Crossroads closes, where will The Hugs Project headquarter? I don't know anyone else willing to pay our rent and utilities (over 2 1/2 years now!!) - DO YOU??? We love working at Crossroads. Such nice, NICE people and they bend over backwards to help us help the deployed troops.

Last year they gave us the 13,000 sq ft arcade to work in to pack out 2,760 Christmas care packages for our troops in harm's way. I don't know of any other place who would be willing to do that for a non-profit - DO YOU??

By the way, THP is already gearing up for Christmas this year so if any of you have a friend or loved one serving "over there" and want to bring in their name and APO/FPO address, we'll make sure they get a box from us the very next week and one again at Christmas. That's what we do. We let them know that they are loved and appreciated and that America hasn't forgotten about them.

We'll be working in the arcade space again this year (just as soon as we get it organized) and we need LOTS of volunteers to pack up care packages, wrap Christmas presents, make crocheted Christmas ornaments, bake homemade cookies and candies, etc. So please come by and visit with us and see how you can get involved. We have a list of needed care package items and if you do get involved, I can guarantee you a GREAT feeling knowing you made a difference in the life of a young National Guardsman, Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine.

We couldn't do that without the support of patriotic people so if you have a donation of care package items or postage money that you would like to drop off or if you want to volunteer with The Hugs Project, come to Crossroads Mall, Suite 1048 any W, TH or Sat between the hours of 10-4. If you come by and we aren't open, you can drop things off with John or Pam who run the carousel in center court or at the mall office. They are always happy to help, they also LOVE our troops.

Don't beat Crossroads into the ground unless it just makes you feel better somehow. All of OKC is struggling right now and I can't understand why driving CM under would be a good thing....unless you own or work at one of the other malls. Is that it?

(End of this non-paid advertisement for The Hugs Project, Crossroads Mall and America's finest!!)

Karen Stark
Founder/Executive Director
The Hugs Project (http://www.TheHugsProject.com) - Because every American serving in harm's way deserves the thanks of a grateful nation.

PS Postage is going to cost us over $36,000 this year and that's not the cost of items to fill those boxes....that's only postage. And, our troops are so worth it.

Our combined federal campaign # is 75171. Thanks.

MikeOKC
09-27-2009, 02:36 AM
I hope this is some other Soonerman and not my friend, Jerry. If it is you Jerry, let me know and I'll come over there and knock the stuffing out o' ya!!! :fighting2

If Crossroads closes, where will The Hugs Project headquarter? I don't know anyone else willing to pay our rent and utilities (over 2 1/2 years now!!) - DO YOU??? We love working at Crossroads. Such nice, NICE people and they bend over backwards to help us help the deployed troops.

Last year they gave us the 13,000 sq ft arcade to work in to pack out 2,760 Christmas care packages for our troops in harm's way. I don't know of any other place who would be willing to do that for a non-profit - DO YOU??

By the way, THP is already gearing up for Christmas this year so if any of you have a friend or loved one serving "over there" and want to bring in their name and APO/FPO address, we'll make sure they get a box from us the very next week and one again at Christmas. That's what we do. We let them know that they are loved and appreciated and that America hasn't forgotten about them.

We'll be working in the arcade space again this year (just as soon as we get it organized) and we need LOTS of volunteers to pack up care packages, wrap Christmas presents, make crocheted Christmas ornaments, bake homemade cookies and candies, etc. So please come by and visit with us and see how you can get involved. We have a list of needed care package items and if you do get involved, I can guarantee you a GREAT feeling knowing you made a difference in the life of a young National Guardsman, Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine.

We couldn't do that without the support of patriotic people so if you have a donation of care package items or postage money that you would like to drop off or if you want to volunteer with The Hugs Project, come to Crossroads Mall, Suite 1048 any W, TH or Sat between the hours of 10-4. If you come by and we aren't open, you can drop things off with John or Pam who run the carousel in center court or at the mall office. They are always happy to help, they also LOVE our troops.

Don't beat Crossroads into the ground unless it just makes you feel better somehow. All of OKC is struggling right now and I can't understand why driving CM under would be a good thing....unless you own or work at one of the other malls. Is that it?

(End of this non-paid advertisement for The Hugs Project, Crossroads Mall and America's finest!!)

Karen Stark
Founder/Executive Director
The Hugs Project (http://www.TheHugsProject.com) - Because every American serving in harm's way deserves the thanks of a grateful nation.

PS Postage is going to cost us over $36,000 this year and that's not the cost of items to fill those boxes....that's only postage. And, our troops are so worth it.

Our combined federal campaign # is 75171. Thanks.

This is a trillion dollar PLUS war. Why can't some of the money skimmed off the top by Blackwater (they changed their name to "Xe"), and others who use war as just another business opportunity, be rerouted to groups such as yours? I just don't get it. It's so totally unpatriotic for these war profiteers to get all the big bucks while the TRUE patriots, working to help troops on the ground, have to practically beg for help and depend on contributions from a shopping mall! Sad.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/7273/cost.jpg

KarenAGypsy
09-27-2009, 06:38 PM
This is a trillion dollar PLUS war. Why can't some of the money skimmed off the top by Blackwater (they changed their name to "Xe"), and others who use war as just another business opportunity, be rerouted to groups such as yours? I just don't get it. It's so totally unpatriotic for these war profiteers to get all the big bucks while the TRUE patriots, working to help troops on the ground, have to practically beg for help and depend on contributions from a shopping mall! Sad.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/7273/cost.jpg

***I can't answer that, I can only do what I can do.......just...........like.....................y ou.

If you'd like the address of a Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine or National Guardsman who's serving you in harm's way. Come by Crossroads during our open times and we'll get you fixed up with an address and some ideas about what they need "over there".

~K~

BG918
09-27-2009, 10:05 PM
I doubt it sells for that price. I'd rather just see it demolished and the land primarily reused for homes and apartments with some associated retail/restaurants. With the BNSF line right next to the property it could have a stop on the future OKC-Norman commuter rail.

Soonerman
09-28-2009, 07:01 AM
Nope no Jerry here I do appreciate the work you guys are doing for our Troops though. I would hate to see Crossroads go but when the anchors leave It's really hard to revive it. Next time I go to Crossroads I'll look for you guys.

metro
09-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Congratulations, you guys successfully managed to turn a thread about Crossroads mall into a political thread and about the cost of the wars! :backtotop

metro
09-28-2009, 07:51 AM
I'd still like to see it become a TOD.

megax11
09-28-2009, 08:52 AM
I don't think it is so much the person advertising soldiers needing help getting mad, as much as those who probably hate this war.

In anycase, I would die a little inside if I saw the arcade again... I used to go there all the time and play games, and seeing it open in any form would hurt bad.

I want someone to buy this mall and fix it up, but only time will tell I guess.

Patrick
09-28-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't think we're bashing down Crossroads Mall, I think we're just stating the obvious. If it were happening to Penn Square Mall, we'd say the same thing. It has happened to many malls across the contry. Once the anchors leave, the mall is pretty much done. Look at Eastland in Tulsa. Crossroads is pretty much finished as a retail center. That doesn't mean they can't give space for uses such as that mentioned above, but I don't see the mall attracting any new national retailers of any significance. It will likely be put to another use.

Patrick
09-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Even though I am highly regarded as a good paying customer at Toys R Us, I have told them that I can't support a store that is bailing after all the years they've been there. If they would just move to an area on southside where people actually can see them, I'm sure more people would pay attention. However, they think Moore is the green on the other side.

Although some would like to see ToysRUs stay there, you have to think about it from a business perspective. If I owned a big corporate business, I'd want to locate in growing, or well established area with decent demographics and a good chance of success for my retail business. If I were the CEO of a major retailer, I'd locate in Moore in the Riverwalk area before I'd locate in Crossroads. There's just a better chance for retail success there right now. In running a corporation, it's all about establishing yourself in the best position to make money.

Jesseda
09-28-2009, 12:12 PM
why is everything going to moore lately, some big time jewlry company that has been in norman is closing up and moving to more, moore is gettinga lot of things still in the planning stages, target,a hilton hotel, toysrus, jack-n-the box,hobby lobby, conns, almost a million plus sq feet of developing retail space in 12 months. whats the deal, why has moore became the sleeping community it once was to the retail city for south oklahoma city.. i think moore hada big hand in taking down crossroads, what do you guys think

Patrick
09-28-2009, 01:42 PM
It's the growing suburb of south OKC, just like Edmond and far NW OKC is to the north side.

Jesseda
09-28-2009, 02:00 PM
does anybody know when the toysrus by crossroads is closing and the one in moore is opening?

KarenAGypsy
09-29-2009, 01:41 AM
Nope no Jerry here I do appreciate the work you guys are doing for our Troops though. I would hate to see Crossroads go but when the anchors leave It's really hard to revive it. Next time I go to Crossroads I'll look for you guys.

Great. I'll look forward to meeting you!! ~K~

KarenAGypsy
09-29-2009, 01:52 AM
I don't think it is so much the person advertising soldiers needing help getting mad, as much as those who probably hate this war.

No one hates war more than most soldiers. Just ask Dennis Pratt who became a PFC at age 35 in the hope that neither of his young sons would ever have to go "over there" and finish what had been started.

Oh, sorry, you can't ask Dennis...."Pops" died with three of his best friends (LittleMan, Face and Tuna) last month defending freedom.

~K~

PS I'm really sorry to have hijacked this thread, is there another more appropriate one to move it to?

mireaux
09-29-2009, 05:37 AM
There are still stores opening each month. There have been two new stores open since the last posting on this thread even! What people don't realize is that Crossroads Mall still has over 80 stores that are OPEN!!!

Last time I checked Quail and Sooner were not doing "great" they are both in bankruptcy right now! Retail as a whole is not doing well and that surely doesn't help any of the traditional malls but guess what? Crossroads is for sale...there are people interested...there are deals to be made...there will be a new beginning for Crossroads!

Everyone keeps talking about the doom and gloom and losing Crossroads, yet another "southside" location but where are these so called Southsiders shopping?? Maybe before we start bashing all that is Crossroads Mall we should look at ourselves in the mirror. How about coming out and finding a way to support the mall instead of bashing it? How about keeping your shopping dollars in South OKC? How about being a LOYAL customer to a mall that has been around for over 30 years?

Like I said before, Crossroads has over 80 stores to shop at. Why not come by and pump a little bit of your hard earned dollars into a mall that needs your help?? Instead of bashing it why don't we help it? Even if you just stop by Kool Stuff to pick up your OU/OSU merchandise...or Xtreme Nutrition for your supplement needs...or Ted's Hallmark for your cards...or Waldenbooks for your reading pleasure. I know this would help the tenants greatly and I do know from my shopping experience that the employees at the stores at Crossroads Mall are excited to help each and every customer. That is what it is all about after all. Don't knock it until you try it!

good call. btw, whatever happened to the timeless annual tradition of christmas shopping at the mall. you know, the whole sch-bang...santa, christmas music pumped thru the pa, decor everywhere. its been a while since malls went all out with the holiday decor, or any seasonal decor/theme for that matter.

Heyuri
09-29-2009, 06:35 AM
good call. btw, whatever happened to the timeless annual tradition of christmas shopping at the mall. you know, the whole sch-bang...santa, christmas music pumped thru the pa, decor everywhere. its been a while since malls went all out with the holiday decor, or any seasonal decor/theme for that matter.

The Malls started pumping Christmas music through the PA earlier and earlier. I cant stand going to the Mall anytime near Christmas anymore, they just start with that stuff way too early.

metro
09-29-2009, 07:35 AM
No one hates war more than most soldiers. Just ask Dennis Pratt who became a PFC at age 35 in the hope that neither of his young sons would ever have to go "over there" and finish what had been started.

Oh, sorry, you can't ask Dennis...."Pops" died with three of his best friends (LittleMan, Face and Tuna) last month defending freedom.

~K~

PS I'm really sorry to have hijacked this thread, is there another more appropriate one to move it to?

Politics

KarenAGypsy
09-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Politics

Yeah, well, I don't normally do politics. I just don't get the people who don't get it. Think I'll pass.

Hopefully, this thread is back on track now.

K@ren

oneforone
09-30-2009, 03:40 AM
why is everything going to moore lately, some big time jewlry company that has been in norman is closing up and moving to more, moore is gettinga lot of things still in the planning stages, target,a hilton hotel, toysrus, jack-n-the box,hobby lobby, conns, almost a million plus sq feet of developing retail space in 12 months. whats the deal, why has moore became the sleeping community it once was to the retail city for south oklahoma city.. i think moore hada big hand in taking down crossroads, what do you guys think

The May 3rd Tornado as tragic as it was really a blessing in disguise for Moore, Midwest City, Del City and South OKC. The loss of old neighborhoods brought in people with disposable incomes. The loss also resulted in upgrades to infastructure and open minded city council members.

Not to mention Moore Public Schools has always been a contender in the academic and athletic realms. Not to mention the Moore School district has always been pretty good about building to the districts needs and keeping the schools in good running order. They make every effort to get the word out on bond issues and spell out what their buying and how much each item costs.

Moore is living proof of what a city can do if they work together and make every piece function like a well oiled machine.

bwana_bob
09-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Politics

There should be a forum for nonprofits and/or volunteer opportunities. Admins?

megax11
09-30-2009, 07:38 AM

~K~

I worded that wrong I guess.

What I meant to say is someone came here and vented frustration to you, when you're doing nothing wrong in being charitable in your advertisement.

That person is probably mad about the whole war thing, so that person is taking it out on you.

That's how I saw it at least.

I don't see going beyond borders to help others, as hijacking. It's doing what most in this world in this day and age, refuse to... Go beyond anything they really have to, to help out others on a world they were born on.

KarenAGypsy
10-01-2009, 12:27 AM
I worded that wrong I guess.

What I meant to say is someone came here and vented frustration to you, when you're doing nothing wrong in being charitable in your advertisement.

That person is probably mad about the whole war thing, so that person is taking it out on you.

That's how I saw it at least.

I don't see going beyond borders to help others, as hijacking. It's doing what most in this world in this day and age, refuse to... Go beyond anything they really have to, to help out others on a world they were born on.

I really appreciate your explanation, it makes perfect sense to me now.

I hope you and others in this forum can come visit sometime, I'd really like to meet all of you.

~K~

oustud7
10-03-2009, 07:33 PM

Also, by my last count on Crossroads Mall's official website directory listing, there are 81 telephone listings. 8 of them either don't even qualify as retail/service/food/entertainment, or they aren't inside the mall (Fairfield Inn? really? And can you really count Millennium Wireless as 2 stores just because they have 2 locations? ). That leaves only 72, and a lot of those are kiosks. Many of the actual storefronts are pretty questionable themselves. Quick Test? La Fiesta? Carousel? the list goes on. I think your 80+ figure is a pretty big mistake, sorry to say.

okyeah
10-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Crossroads Mall official is optimistic about its future

BY JENNIFER PALMER
Published: October 1, 2009
Amid the empty storefronts, there is optimism at Crossroads Mall.

Optimism, because two new stores recently opened at the mall, a third will open soon and mall management has secured lease renewals with seven retailers, including Bath and Body Works.

MultimediaPhotoview all photos Crossroads, at the intersection of Interstates 240 and 35, has been plagued by vacancies, including all of its anchor stores, and faces an uncertain future with the property up for sale — either as a whole or in pieces.

Mall manager Jim Swenson prefers not to address those issues, instead deferring questions to Price Edwards & Co., which managed the property through foreclosure.

What Swenson does want to talk about are the positive happenings there, including those new stores: L’Patricia, a junior’s apparel store in the old PacSun space on the upper level, and J&D Asian gifts, on the lower level near the carousel.

Another newcomer, Dubz Dezignz, a screen printing and embroidery business, is scheduled to open Oct. 9.

Swenson, who has held his position since 1994, acknowledges these aren’t traditional mall retailers.

"We don’t have the typical lineup you’d see in an enclosed mall. We’re unique,” he said.

Attracting national chains has been tough for any mall in recent months, but especially Crossroads, where fleeing tenants seemed to create a snowball effect. Major retailers Dillard’s and Steve & Barry’s University Sportswear left in January.

Swenson said management has been focusing on snagging entrepreneurs with fresh concepts by offering attractive rates and short-term leases.

"We’re open to as short as a day or two on our short-term leases,” he said.

Battling the perception that the mall is dead or dying, or even closed, is another challenge, Swenson said. A year ago, he was touting the mall’s 120 tenants; now, it’s down to about 75.

Jeany Brown, owner of J&D Asian gifts, has been telling her customers at Old Paris Flea Market to visit her new store since it opened two weeks ago.

"I say I’m at Crossroads Mall. They say, ‘Oh, that mall is closed.’ I say ‘No, it’s not,’” she said.

Brown’s store is filled with colorful trinkets, from bonsai trees to Asian-style dresses and President Barack Obama T-shirts. She had a store in Midwest City’s Heritage Park Mall until 2003. Business was slow there, but it’s even slower at Crossroads, she said.

"I haven’t really seen much progress here,” said Brown.

But then the optimism creeps in.

"Maybe we opened at the wrong time, with the state fair (going on.) I guess we will have to be patient,” she said.

z28james
10-04-2009, 08:28 PM
"Were Unique" LMFAO. Mall is dead, bulldoze it please!

Thunder
10-04-2009, 10:23 PM
z28, it is people like you that needs to be ejected out of the state (or at least this city). The mall is not dead. When I go there, the doors is open and the lights is on. I see people coming in and out. Don't believe me? Go see it for yourself.

progressiveboy
10-05-2009, 07:35 AM
z28, it is people like you that needs to be ejected out of the state (or at least this city). The mall is not dead. When I go there, the doors is open and the lights is on. I see people coming in and out. Don't believe me? Go see it for yourself. Why make such an extreme statement regarding someone else's opinion about CM? I agree, the mall should be closed down and bulldozed. It is a ratty, nasty mall that has served it's purpose. Maybe you should be ejected out of state because you come across as not a very modern, forward thinking individual, but respectfully, you are entitled to your opinion, just as I am.

SoonerDave
10-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Why make such an extreme statement regarding someone else's opinion about CM? I agree, the mall should be closed down and bulldozed. It is a ratty, nasty mall that has served it's purpose. Maybe you should be ejected out of state because you come across as not a very modern, forward thinking individual, but respectfully, you are entitled to your opinion, just as I am.

It may be void of tenants, but "ratty and nasty" is over the top.

Yes, the mall is dated and reeks of its 1970's heritage despite its half-hearted late-eighties makeover, but "bulldoze" it is hardly practical.

I'm as realistic about Crossroads' prospects - they're not very good. That said, the mall is still open and functioning; yeah, its a little sad to see it so empty, because I remember when it was built, and was a huge deal; now, those days are behind. But there are still viable merchants there - just bought two new pairs of glasses for my wife and myself at EyeMasters on the first floor, and we weren't mugged or accosted.

I have no delusion that Crossroads can regain its former "glory" from the days of its opening, but I have to believe it has a better future than "bulldoze" it.

megax11
10-05-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm telling you guys, I have a feeling my two dreams about the mall will come true.

With america SUPPOSEDLY pulling out of this recession slowly but surely, I don't see why this mall won't eventually get that upgrade.

It is odd to have two dreams seeing the same mall in two different areas with the same rennovations, and then hear about this newfound optimism.

It is a huge mall, and if it was fixed up outside and in, it could awesome as all day.

If my dreams were real, the mall would still have a brown color to it on the inside, but really nice tiling on the ground and pillars seperating each store. The whole middle of the mall would feel more open, and have more carpet filling in the middle of the mall.

I hope this optimism leads to that. I guess only time will tell.

z28james
10-05-2009, 09:16 PM
z28, it is people like you that needs to be ejected out of the state (or at least this city). The mall is not dead. When I go there, the doors is open and the lights is on. I see people coming in and out. Don't believe me? Go see it for yourself.

Dude I wont flame you but come on let go of crossroads. I used to work at a big box retailer right next to that mall for the last couple years until a few months ago, I grew up going to that mall all the time I know 2 people who work in that mall. I am very familiar with it. I also know for a fact that I would see OCPD all the time not to work overtime, but to stop fights, shoplifting, and cars getting broken into. There are robberies around that whole area all the time. Yes the mall is open and the lights are on, but in my humble opinion its an embarrassing eyesore to see for current residents and visitors driving down 35. Why not bulldoze it down. I hate to have seen crossroads turn into a dump like anyone else, but no one is going to make it into a great mall again.

Patrick
10-06-2009, 02:56 AM
Just exactly who do you plan on filling those anchor spaces?

oneforone
10-06-2009, 08:41 AM
You are not going to see anything significant happening at Crossroads in the the near future. The banks are not lending. The developers with money are taking on low to moderate risk projects. Crossroads falls into the high risk project category.

A remodel is going to cost millions of dollars. This mall needs more than a clean up and a coat of paint.

Demolition is going to cost millions of dollars. It would probably take a couple of months to remove all the rubble. Not to mention after the demolition is over there will be need to be a significant amount of earthwork to make the land useful again.

New construction could also be costly depending on the state of the economy at that time.

Jesseda
10-06-2009, 08:44 AM
to bad its a perfect location for a theme park to be relocated or added to okc, how abouta great wolf lodge even

bwana_bob
10-06-2009, 09:14 AM
The business model for Crossroad at present is to generate as much case flow as possible to cover expenses and debt payments until the next chapter can be written. Little points to a redevelopment of the existing structure - certainly not the state of the economy nor "wished for" interest from the retail and entertainment/hospitality industries that have been shredded by the downturn. Look at Shepherd Mall - remade into an office park but vulnerable to a speculative real estate purchase gone bad and then to losing one large anchor who can take it from 90%+ occupancy to 40% overnight. While the operators of Crossroads can generate enough cash, there will be stores that serve customers. It will not be a destination place for most in the metro but it serves a sizable segment for the south metro. This is less about a modern point of view or about defending the south side: it is a business reality. The economy of scale for Crossroads is tremendous. The breakeven is out of reach for almost any retail operation in this state. The new retail in Moore, Midwest City and Norman has killed any reasonable thought of Crossroads - as-is or reinvented - being THE hub of southside retailing. That being said, if you like Crossroads, continue to enjoy it. Progressives and urban planner wannabes will speculate about the future because it is entertaining but why be threatened by it? Carpe diem and shop to your heart's delight!

Jesseda
10-06-2009, 10:59 AM
DO I HEAR A MAPS 4!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tax payers buy the old crossroads and tear it down to build a new park and entertainment complex with a new train station depot, that will take passengers into the heart of bricktown and back.... they already have the tracks....

bwana_bob
10-06-2009, 11:19 AM
DO I HEAR A MAPS 4!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tax payers buy the old crossroads and tear it down to build a new park and entertainment complex with a new train station depot, that will take passengers into the heart of bricktown and back.... they already have the tracks....

I don't think Crossroads Mall would make the cut of MAPS 44, let alone MAPS 4. The highlighted portion of your post spells out one solution: tribal gaming. Planet Hollywood OKC anyone?

Patrick
10-07-2009, 03:52 AM
I don't think Crossroads Mall would make the cut of MAPS 44, let alone MAPS 4. The highlighted portion of your post spells out one solution: tribal gaming. Planet Hollywood OKC anyone?

You might be on to something. One possible use for Crossroads would be for a tribe with lots of money to buy the place and turn it into a massive casino and mixed use complex, complete with hotel space, entertainment options, some retail, and a casino taking up the majority of space, all under one roof. Each anchor of the mall could be turned into a casino with a different theme. Food court could be retained. Some retail in between. A hotel somewhere in between.

I know this idea might not be likeable by some, but it would be a more reasonable option than some of the others mentioned. Tribes have a lot of money even in the sour economy.

I think saying to tear down or bulldoze Crossroads doesn't make a lot of sense. Structurally the building is fine and could definitely be adapted to another use.

Concerning Shepherd Mall, well, office space is much easier to lease than retail space, so I don't see Shepherd having a hard time releasing the Farmer's space. It might have to be divided though. Leasing that space will be similar to leasing the old Devon tower wen Devon completes their new complex.

BricktownGuy
10-07-2009, 07:50 AM
New owner of Crossroads will be the Chickasaw Nation or one of their many subsidiary companies.

oneforone
10-07-2009, 10:23 AM
The mall could very easily be converted over to a convention and event center. Groups of all sizes could be accomodated. Each of the four anchors could suit a specific purpose. Ex: Wedding Chapel, Confrence Rooms, a perfoming arts theater, or a party center for wedding receptions, birthdays, school dances and after prom parties.

You have closed restaurants on site already so you could have on site catering. The mall security could take care of event security. Not to mention you have plenty of parking.

megax11
10-07-2009, 11:51 AM
to bad its a perfect location for a theme park to be relocated or added to okc, how abouta great wolf lodge even

Dude, that'd be sweet.

If a Six Flags could move there that would be cool. Or even relocate FC, and make it bigger, I could see that bringing in lots of business.

If the mall ever did get bulldozed, that is what I would love to see happen.

metro
10-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah, if a PUD doesn't get built, which it probably isn't realistic at this point in time, then a Tribal Resort/Casino probably makes the most sense. They'd even have room for a Par 3 golf course.

mheaton76
10-08-2009, 10:12 AM
This is kind of hard to believe, but because of the Collapse of Bear Sterns last year, the Federal Reserve is actually Crossroads' Mall reluctant landlord. Wow!

Bear Stearns Takeover Turns The Fed Into A Lawsuit Magnet (http://www.businessinsider.com/the-fed-is-bickering-over-shopping-malls-2009-10)

mugofbeer
10-08-2009, 10:14 AM
And people still don't believe the government is trying to nationalize everything!

LOL!

metro
10-08-2009, 10:15 AM
And people still don't believe the government is trying to nationalize everything!

LOL!

http://freedomsearch.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/obama_socialism.gif

mheaton76
10-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Hey, as the article says, it might be a selling point for Crossroads' Mall - The "Real" Mall of America, lol.

EBAH
10-08-2009, 10:44 AM
HAHAHAHA, Suckers!!, oh wait, I guess we bought that didn't we......woops

Jesseda
10-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Im so happy the feds got it, now its time to turn it into the crossroads national health care corp. office...

gmwise
10-08-2009, 11:17 AM

LOL!

Mugs,
When a creditor takes over the assets of a debtor.
Its not nationalizing.

EBAH
10-08-2009, 01:06 PM
How right you are. It's not nationalized, and as far as we are all concerned it is no different than if Bear Stearns owned it.

lonestarstatesux
10-08-2009, 01:35 PM
So the Fed paid $11.2MM or $11.89/sqft if this article NewsOK (http://newsok.com/owner-offers-to-parcel-out-crossroads-mall/article/3403387) lists the square footage correctly. If Bears Sterns had just collapsed and lost all of its assets in bankruptcy, what would have happened to Crossroads Mall?

gmwise
10-08-2009, 01:38 PM
They did.
they didnt pay their creditor.

lonestarstatesux
10-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Well, I guess I mean if everything would have been allowed to continue without any government intervention - I should have clarified.

mugofbeer
10-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Mugs,
When a creditor takes over the assets of a debtor.
Its not nationalizing.

GM - I'm fully aware of most any financial issue you wish to put in front of me considering its my business. In case you missed it, the LOL I put on the end was an indication I was joking.