View Full Version : OKC Sergeant Dies

Karried
06-24-2007, 07:15 AM
I didn't find the Guest book yet but I always try to sign them when we lose a soldier here in OK. I'll post it when it comes out.

Sergeant dies on 2nd tour

By Chad Crow
Staff Writer
An Oklahoma City Army sergeant was among five soldiers who died Thursday after the Bradley vehicle in which they were riding struck an improvised explosive device bomb in northeast Baghdad.

Sgt. Ryan M. Wood, 22 — a member of the Army’s 1st Infantry Division, 26th Battalion, Charlie Company — was in his second tour of duty in Iraq.
“During the first tour of duty he was extremely proud to be there; he believed in what he was doing and why we were there,” said Scott Vincent, Wood’s stepfather or ‘Dad two’ as Ryan called him.
But “he did not have a good feeling about this tour,” Vincent said.
Wood was a talented artist who had received his acceptance letter to the University of Central Oklahoma days before his death. Vincent described him as “one of the kindest, gentlest young men you could ever know.”
Vincent said he Wood was also respected by the men under his command — and he was all too familiar with losing soldiers he cared about in combat.
He kept the names of two of those soldiers close to him at all times, tattooed on his chest: “Mock” and “Sizemore.”
Mock was Sgt. Willsun M. Mock, who died in October. In an online guestbook honoring Mock, Wood’s mother, Renee Wood-Vincent, recently wrote:
“Our son, Sgt. Ryan M. Wood, served alongside your son. ... They were friends. In honor of Willsun, Ryan now has his name tattooed on his chest. On this Memorial Day, I would like you to know that we have not forgotten his sacrifice. We send our love and our prayers.”
Now Wood has made the same sacrifice.
Vincent said he hopes Wood’s death will serve as a reminder to families who have not suffered such a loss that young Americans are dying for their country every day in Iraq.
“The majority of them are proud to be there,” Vincent said, “They don’t want to be forgotten. They want to have the tools to do their job.” Funeral services are pending.

Karried
06-24-2007, 09:08 PM
The Guest Book is now available:

Guest Book - Sgt. Ryan Wood (http://www.legacy.com/OKLAHOMAN/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=89625288)