View Full Version : Why aren't there any QuikTrips in OKC?

Matt
06-22-2007, 11:22 AM
So I've been spending a little bit of time in Tulsa lately, and have fallen in love with their QT stores--more specifically, their wonderful beverage selection which, as far as I know, puts any OKC convenience store's to shame.

Then last weekend I took a road trip to Indiana and saw QTs in several places in Missouri.

I'm on their website (http://www.quiktrip.com/locations/locations.asp) today and see that they've got stores in like nine different states, including Texas and Arizona.

So that begs the question: Why aren't there any QTs here? Strange to me that they'd be all over the place but not in OKC. Is our market just too well-saturated with 7-11s or something? Is it some stupid Tulsa/OKC thing? What's the deal?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-22-2007, 11:38 AM
I think it's something to do with an agreement with 7-11.

Rifleman2C
06-22-2007, 12:26 PM
I always wondered why no Quick Trips in OKC as well, and I worked for QT for two years in the 80's... it's a good company that enjoys repeat business because they encourage customer service (well, they used to, anyway).

But that just raises another question, OGTS: If 7-11 has a corner on the market in OKC, then why are there 7-11 stores in Tulsa?

Centerback
06-22-2007, 01:27 PM
There is a "gentleman's agreement" between the owners that the other won't move into their market. End result...OKC no QT and Tulsa no (more) 7/11.

It's a shame too, I like 7/11 but I love QT.

Rifleman2C
06-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Unless it is a legally binding agreement, if I were QuickTrip, I would smash 7-11 against the rocks of the convienience store business. They really seem to have all their eggs in the appropriately protected basket, while 7-11 seems a little old and tired (and vulnerable) for a group of regional neighborhood C-Stores.

drumsncode
06-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Comparing a QT to a 7-11 is like comparing a Mercedes to an old broken down Ford Pinto. For any of you out there that haven't experienced a QT store, drive to Tulsa and try one. OMG they are incredible, and that includes the restrooms.

I lived within 400 feet of one for several years. It felt like I died and went to Convenience Store Heaven.

Pete
06-22-2007, 01:41 PM
OKC certainly gets the raw end of this hand-shake deal.

Circle K is re-entering the OKC market and I'm surprised others haven't before now. You'd think someone like AM/PM would make a killing because 7/11 doesn't offer much competition.

bombermwc
06-22-2007, 02:16 PM
There are a lot more AM/PM's and OnCue's going in. And those OnCue's have some awesome gas prices folks, not to mention their stations make a statement for sure.

metro
06-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Here this discussion goes again it sounds like. Anyhow, OKC has something similar with the OnCue chain that is rapidly expanding in the metro. Check them out sometime.

Rifleman2C
06-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Here this discussion goes again it sounds like.

Metro,

I guess you've been around for awhile... how did this discussion end the first time? Anything good come of it? Any facts you'd care to throw out here to help the newbies out?

metro
06-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Metro,

I guess you've been around for awhile... how did this discussion end the first time? Anything good come of it? Any facts you'd care to throw out here to help the newbies out?

Sure no problem. Here is a good link to get you started: http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/9211-upscale-circle-ks-return-okc.html?highlight=quick+trip . I'd also encourage anyone interested to do a search on "quiktrip" on the main page of OKCTalk and you will find several other threads on this topic that you might enjoy. And as I mentioned in my post above, OnCue is comparable to QuikTrip and is rapidly expanding here in OKC.

John
06-22-2007, 04:11 PM
As metro said, the OnCue's and 'new' Circle K's offer are pretty much the same as a QT, as far as store layout, drinks, snacks, coffee, etc goes.

Pete
06-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Just FYI, there are 4 OnCue's in the OKC area, and 72 QuikTrips in and around Tulsa.

There are just over 100 7-Elevens around OKC.

TStheThird
06-23-2007, 12:37 AM
OnCue is planning to become the QT of OKC. It is only a matter of time. They just recently entered the market and they have big plans.

Superhyper
06-23-2007, 01:12 PM
OnCue is nice, i'll freely admit that. Most anyone who has spent any reasonable amount of time in a quicktrip-having area will tell you that QuickTrip changes lives, however, and it has kind of become a cult. One I am happy to be part of :D

JOHNINSOKC
06-23-2007, 02:06 PM
I think On Cue is definitely a nice convenience store. Athough, I think having Quik Trip would be a nice addition as well. It seems like we have more competition than Tulsa does, so I think we may have to wait a while for Quik Trip to enter our market.

hipsterdoofus
06-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Actually I have heard it has something to do with Loves, not 7-11, which may make more sense? If they had an agreement with 7-11, you'd think they had an agreement which benefited QT as well - and I don't see how thats possible since 7-11 is in Tulsa.

Also, you have both QT and 7-11 in Dallas (Which is home to 7-11, so you'd think they'd rather QT stay out of DFW than OKC).

I don't get it either but it ticks me off. On another note, the 7-11 at Hefner & May in OKC has re-tooled and looks a lot more like a QT inside. Not only that but rather than having 1 or 2 people working at a time, they have actually had 4 or 5 - a huge improvement over other 7-11's - I intend on writing into 7-11 and telling them they did a good job there.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-24-2007, 12:42 AM
Actually I have heard it has something to do with Loves, not 7-11, which may make more sense? If they had an agreement with 7-11, you'd think they had an agreement which benefited QT as well - and I don't see how thats possible since 7-11 is in Tulsa.

Also, you have both QT and 7-11 in Dallas (Which is home to 7-11, so you'd think they'd rather QT stay out of DFW than OKC).

I don't get it either but it ticks me off. On another note, the 7-11 at Hefner & May in OKC has re-tooled and looks a lot more like a QT inside. Not only that but rather than having 1 or 2 people working at a time, they have actually had 4 or 5 - a huge improvement over other 7-11's - I intend on writing into 7-11 and telling them they did a good job there.

Most (if not all) of the 7-11's in Oklahoma City are owned by the same guy (Bill Brown). They also carry the Icy Drink instead of the Slurpee for some weird reason.

Anyway, it's probably something to do with him, not 7-11 proper. He's funny too...Coke pissed him off a couple of years ago, so he had all their product moved to the bottom shelf in all his stores for a while.

OU Adonis
06-24-2007, 07:53 AM
Most (if not all) of the 7-11's in Oklahoma City are owned by the same guy (Bill Brown). They also carry the Icy Drink instead of the Slurpee for some weird reason.

Anyway, it's probably something to do with him, not 7-11 proper. He's funny too...Coke pissed him off a couple of years ago, so he had all their product moved to the bottom shelf in all his stores for a while.

They are all owned by Mr Brown. Here is the low down on 7-levens in Oklahoma City.

-All 7-Eleven's in OKC are owned by Mr Brown

-7-Eleven's outside of OKC are owned by the Southland Corporation.

-Brown and the owner of Southland Corp started 7- Eleven's in the 50s???? and they gave him 1 store in OKC and told him to stay in OKC only. So he has no where to expand.

-Brown forbids any girlie mags, condoms, or rolling papers in his store because of his religious nature.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-24-2007, 08:27 AM
I thought Brown started U-Totem?

OU Adonis
06-24-2007, 08:44 AM
I thought Brown started U-Totem?

Maybe I am confusing him starting Utotem with 7-eleven. But I am pretty sure he played a part with early 7-eleven. Thats why the agreement was made.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
06-24-2007, 01:00 PM
All I know is now I want a Frozen Rooster Booster.

rugbybrado
06-25-2007, 07:37 AM
I grew up in tulsa, i wish these guys would get over this stupid gentlemans agreement and build some here. Ive been to oncue before and it still doesnt compair.

Theres a LARGE demand for QT's here and i wish they would go ahead and start listening.

flintysooner
06-25-2007, 08:44 AM
I sometimes fuel at 7-11 but I rarely go into one. I admire their locations though.

When I lived in KC I fueled sometimes at QTs but I rarely went in one there either.

But after reading this thread I've been trying to think why QT would be better than 7-11 and honestly I can't find anything about either one that makes me want to prefer one to the other besides location.

rugbybrado
06-25-2007, 10:16 AM
I sometimes fuel at 7-11 but I rarely go into one. I admire their locations though.

When I lived in KC I fueled sometimes at QTs but I rarely went in one there either.

But after reading this thread I've been trying to think why QT would be better than 7-11 and honestly I can't find anything about either one that makes me want to prefer one to the other besides location.

you've obviously havent been into a QT in a very long time -

-Large fountain selection, with add in flavors, and energy drinks aviable for the same low price on the fountain.

-Cheap drinks

-Good/ large assortment of coffee, fresh dounuts

-clean facilites

-easy access/egress

-very large selection of items on the grill, not your typical gas station food. hot dogs, pizza rolls, eggrolls, and others. really have to see it.

-very large selection of good refridgerated sandwiches, burgers, chicken sandwiches, subs, etc. like i said before, its not your typical gas station food.

-high quality condements.

..i could go on..

bombermwc
06-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Lives changed by a Quickie Mart? Um...personally I pretty much never do anything but pay at the pump. I'll use 7-11 for the no-charge ATM, but that's it.

Hopefully you guys know if you are buying drinks and stuff at any gas station, you are spending more than you need. In OKC we have Crest (which is SUPER cheap groceries and way nicer than cheapo Buy 4 Less or some crap), but even Wal-Mart is better. Why pay $2.00 or $2.50 for a 20oz at the gas station?

Who needs the Quickie Mart? Now here's the trickey part. Why don't you rhyme with me? Sorry...just had a Simpsons flashback there for a minute with Apu Nehasapeenapedalon. LOL

MsProudSooner
06-25-2007, 12:25 PM
QuikTrips are cleaner than most convenience stores.

The people who work there are polite and they get you in and out of their store quickly.

Given the choice, I'd rather live in OKC, but I would miss QuikTrip.

Matt
06-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Hopefully you guys know if you are buying drinks and stuff at any gas station, you are spending more than you need. In OKC we have Crest (which is SUPER cheap groceries and way nicer than cheapo Buy 4 Less or some crap), but even Wal-Mart is better. Why pay $2.00 or $2.50 for a 20oz at the gas station?

Last I checked, QT's were selling 32 oz. fountain drinks for $0.69.

John
06-25-2007, 02:42 PM
you've obviously havent been into a QT in a very long time -

-Large fountain selection, with add in flavors, and energy drinks aviable for the same low price on the fountain.

-Cheap drinks

-Good/ large assortment of coffee, fresh dounuts

-clean facilites

-easy access/egress

-very large selection of items on the grill, not your typical gas station food. hot dogs, pizza rolls, eggrolls, and others. really have to see it.

-very large selection of good refridgerated sandwiches, burgers, chicken sandwiches, subs, etc. like i said before, its not your typical gas station food.

-high quality condements.

..i could go on..

Most of the larger Circle K's and OnCue's have everything mentioned above.

OU Adonis
06-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Last I checked, QT's were selling 32 oz. fountain drinks for $0.69.

7-Elevens are $.59

I don't see what the big deal is either way.

Matt
06-25-2007, 10:49 PM
7-Elevens are $.59

I'll pay the extra dime for QT's way-better beverage selection and complimentary cherry and vanilla flavorings--when I'm in Tulsa, anyway.

I don't see what the big deal is either way.

Have you been in a QT yet?

SuperScooper
06-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Circle K has been running theirs for $0.49 and $0.59 since they took over All Star.

I would like to see QuikTrip come here, maybe they would put some of the teenage liquor and tabacco stores out of business.

flintysooner
06-26-2007, 06:10 AM
We could use another something in Moore near 19th & Telephone for fuel. Murphy's at Wal-mart is insane now and getting worse. The 7-11 at 19th & Santa Fe is full every time I go there.

rugbybrado
06-26-2007, 06:47 AM
Most of the larger Circle K's and OnCue's have everything mentioned above.

As ive mentioned above, I HAVE BEEN TO ONCUE's(and also circle k)...

Its not the same, next time your in tulsa go to a QT and see what i mean....

CuatrodeMayo
06-26-2007, 07:06 AM
OnCue doesn't hold a candle to QT

MikeLucky
06-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Having grown up in Wichita and experiencing all that is QuikTrip.... I think the language "changes lives" is very appropriate.....

I love living in the OKC metro area and don't ever plan on living anywhere else, but QT's are the one thing I yearn for the most in our city.....

Turanacus
06-26-2007, 09:26 AM
the okc convenience stores is ghetto, even in nice areas, the circle K's coming in are just re-branded shell stations (or something similiar) -- Q Trip puts every c-store in okc to shame. no comparison.

Turanacus
06-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Homelands is ghetto too, trashy nasty.

ultimatesooner
06-26-2007, 12:04 PM
the rooster booster slushees are pure greatness

last time I spent a weekend in Tulsa, I had like 6 or 7 of them

kevinpate
06-26-2007, 12:21 PM
for all the QT glory statements, my trips to tulsa tend the other direction. The big QT's, like bigger 7/11's here and yon, On Cue, etc. are cleaner and fairly nice. The rest are no better, no worse than your typical in&out, irrespective of the brand name or the corner or the community in which it sits.

Just another take by one who doesn't find any particular store to be more than it is, a way to get something without a lot of walking involved, ergo saving me some time, a commodity far more precious than items I do not consume or flavors that detract from what i prefer.

to each their own, fall upon the qt or 711 altar if that fits the need, I'll do my level best to not step on ya as I pop in and back out 8^)

bombermwc
06-26-2007, 01:25 PM
I still can't believe we're talking about convenience stores.

John
06-26-2007, 01:53 PM
As ive mentioned above, I HAVE BEEN TO ONCUE's(and also circle k)...

Its not the same, next time your in tulsa go to a QT and see what i mean....

I've been to many, many QT's in my life. Not life changing. Yeah, they're above average gas & go's, but not much else.

A little overrated, much like the 'hills & trees'...

I'll actually be in Tulsa tonight. Maybe I'll see a miracle happen at QT! :bow:

rugbybrado
06-26-2007, 02:20 PM
I've been to many, many QT's in my life. Not life changing. Yeah, they're above average gas & go's, but not much else.

Well as ive mentioned before, i grew up in tulsa and im fond of the things there. One thing i like about QT's is that they are consistant in all of there locations. Each store is clean, each store has the same items, each store is well kept, and you are greeted when you walk into each location.

When i moved here alot of people said, 7-11 are the same thing, its just another gas station. Ive been all over this OKC and have noticed that the majority of 7-11 are trashy, and the ones in the newer areas(like near my house) arent really that great either. Granted they are cleaner/ newer incompairison to alot of 7-11's in the rest of the city, but there just isnt that consistancy/ variety that you find in QT.

I could go to industrial west tulsa, higher income south side, all the way to north tulsa, then out to the suburbs in jenks and all the stores will all be well kept, clean, and have decent employees working there 24/7/365.

drumsncode
06-26-2007, 02:28 PM

A little overrated, much like the 'hills & trees'...

I'll actually be in Tulsa tonight. Maybe I'll see a miracle happen at QT! :bow:

After spending most of my life going to 7-11, going to QT for a few years was just an amazing pleasure.

I was not used to being greeted as I walked in with a "Hello".

I was not used to a nice clean place, with restrooms that you could actually use without holding your breath.

I was not used to clerks that were truly on top of their game, working as efficiently as they could, pre-counting your change as they anticipated what you were going to give them.

I was not used to clerks that treated you like a valued customer, rather than an inconvenience.

I know the culture at QT stems from its management, and I know a woman that took a high-powered job there and was required to actually train in the stores to make sure she really understood everything that was going on.

The "miracle" of QT is its management philosophy, and the way they make you feel when you walk in and walk out. A trip to QT is actually kinda fun, while a trip to 7-11 is mostly just a burden.

SuperScooper
06-26-2007, 02:49 PM
I do not know which 7-11's you frequent but, the stores I visit are always clean. The clerks are always friendly and most know the regulars by name.

7-11 is in the process of replacing the older stores and all the new stores are drastic improvements from the older stores.

I like the fact that the new stores are high traffic freindly and offer a wider selection of choices.

The one thing I noticed about OnCue (This probably the same situation with QuickTrip.) is that they are trying to reach a broader spectrum of customers. They carry more than your traditional convenience store but not enough to be a full fledged grocery/discount store.

I as I said earlier I hope they do come to OKC one day. I think the OKC convenience store market could use a little healthy competition.
I think competition is a good thing because the consumer is the one that always wins in the end.

More competition means better services and better prices.

rugbybrado
06-27-2007, 06:35 AM
After spending most of my life going to 7-11, going to QT for a few years was just an amazing pleasure.

The "miracle" of QT is its management philosophy, and the way they make you feel when you walk in and walk out. A trip to QT is actually kinda fun, while a trip to 7-11 is mostly just a burden.

Every time i go back to tulsa to visit friends or family i always make it a point to go to the one by my parents house.

Besides going into the store i always fill up on their Top Tier gas. The one thing that pisses me off about OKC locations that are rated top tier(conoco, phillips66, shell ) are that they are ALWAYS more expensive than the 7-11 right by my house. Never fails, i tried when i first moved here only to put to quality gas in my new car but after repeatly trying to go to those other stations 7-11 is always the cheapest.

When in tulsa, QT which is top tier IS 9 times out of 10 the cheapest gas in town.

Top Tier Gasoline (http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html)

I also like how they arent in alpha order and QT is at the top of the list.

russellc
06-28-2007, 01:19 PM
What I like about 7-11's is they compete with each other on gas prices. They are never the same around the city. In Tulsa, QT's raise the prices all at the same time, and everyone else raises theirs to match, so there isn't nearly the competition for prices.

I never go into convenience stores, I pay at the pump, and go on. I don't care about how nice it is on the inside. If I need something else, I go to a real store.

rugbybrado
06-29-2007, 06:42 AM
I never go into convenience stores, I pay at the pump, and go on. I don't care about how nice it is on the inside. If I need something else, I go to a real store.

You obviously have never been inside of QT.

In the year ive lived in okc ive gone inside of a 7/11's only a handfull of times and that was just to use the ATM. I would rather pay at the pump and leave.

I will also so the majority of the times ive gone back to tulsa gas prices were +/- 2 cents of okc 7-11's

russellc
06-29-2007, 02:04 PM
I have been inside a QT, and it didn't impress me. It is better than a 7-11, but who cares, I don't want to shop in a convenience store. No matter how good it looks, it is still more expensive than almost anywhere else.

Earlier this year I was in Tulsa for a week on business when the gas prices jumped up 8 cents between 4:30 pm and 6:00 pm. In OKC the prices gradually go up, and you can still find a place to get cheaper gas before they all level off. In Tulsa, QT's go up all at the same time, and everyone else matches them. I drove all over Tulsa looking for gas at the price it was at 4:30, and I couldn't.

rugbybrado
06-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Earlier this year I was in Tulsa for a week on business when the gas prices jumped up 8 cents between 4:30 pm and 6:00 pm. In OKC the prices gradually go up, and you can still find a place to get cheaper gas before they all level off. .

Living .25 of a mile away from a gas station when gas spiked here in the morning it would 2.48, when i would get off it would be 2.58, i would wake up the next day and gas would then be 2.65...you get the idea.

The prices sure didnt go up gradually here like you seem to think the did.

russellc
07-11-2007, 12:31 PM
I didn't mean that each individual gas station goes up gradually, I meant the whole market goes up gradually. Not every gas station in town raises their price to the exact same thing at the same time like will happen in Tulsa with QT's and then everyone else will match them. If gas goes up at one station in OKC you can usually drive a little while and find gas cheaper down the road.

cityguy
07-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Many of the questions can be answered from other threads posted in this one. The 7-11's here in OKC are different than anywhere else. It's even immortalized in the 7-11 Wikipedia entry:

The only independently owned 7-Eleven stores are located in the Oklahoma City, Oklahoma metropolitan area. About 100 stores are owned by the family of Bill Brown (who formerly owned the U-Totem chain) under special arrangement with the company since 1953. These stores carry a slightly different product selection than other 7-Eleven stores in the US. They do not serve hotdogs or nachos but have their own bakery called Seventh Heaven.[10] Also, due to this agreement, they carry a non-7-Eleven branded product in lieu of the Slurpee, the Icy Drink, which is not to be confused with the ICEE.[11] The one side effect to this arrangement is that national advertising campaigns and promotions (e.g. movie marketing tie-ins) cannot be used. Oklahoma 7-Eleven stores do not carry adult-themed magazines, lottery tickets or birth contraceptives partly due to the fact that the Brown family is of Roman Catholic faith.

There is a gentlemen's agreement between the Brown family and QuikTrip Board Chairman Chester Cadieux. His son and namesake runs the company and has continued to abide with the no-compete agreement in Oklahoma City. QT has many markets they can expand to without OKC being a worry. Most all of their nearly 500 stores are mostly all in ten markets.

A big competitor that could potentially come to Oklahoma City is RaceTrac. Anybody who's been in one knows they are almost QT clones in look and philosophy. A lot of their stores are located across the street from QT's in markets they compete in. Much like the whole Walgreens/CVS competition.

hipsterdoofus
07-11-2007, 02:22 PM
for all the QT glory statements, my trips to tulsa tend the other direction. The big QT's, like bigger 7/11's here and yon, On Cue, etc. are cleaner and fairly nice. The rest are no better, no worse than your typical in&out, irrespective of the brand name or the corner or the community in which it sits.

Actually, we had one of the head guys from QT come and talk to our organization a while back, and Quiktrip, once they find a better design for their stores, demolish old ones and rebuild them, so you really shouldn't tend to find "old crappy ones" like you do with other stores. Now, granted, it may take them awhile to re-do all of them, but if you go into QT, you will notice they are almost all set up the same. The find what is best and make changes everywhere.

Again, I recommend people take a peek at the 7-eleven at May & Hefner in OKC - they are apparently trying to copy QT to some extent and it looks nice.