View Full Version : Questions about a Church...? Occult?

Okiekatt
06-21-2007, 11:11 PM
There is a Church located off of Waterlou Road called the "Philadelphia Church of God" ran by a Reverend Flurry. I am at the beginning stages of researching it, anyone else heard of this place and do you know anything about them?

Some people have called it an occult, the things I am reading so far has given me reason to wonder.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Wikipedia has a decent synopsis of it here: Philadelphia Church of God - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Church_of_God)

Okiekatt
06-22-2007, 12:32 AM
Thanks

Who knew the "prophet of end times" is only a few minute drive from my house. This guy has defined a new level of Nut Job.

kmf563
06-22-2007, 07:18 AM
I think it's pretty bad when the wikipedia places this in your bio:

"He even declared himself as the prophet like Moses in Deuteronomy 18:15-18 thereby making himself equal to the Son of God and a real nut case."

Well, there you have it. a real nut case.

I live in Edmond...why have I not heard about these people? Where is it located?

Wbrook
06-22-2007, 07:37 AM
Where on Waterloo Rd is it located. Google has the headquarters at 1019 Waterwood PKWY in Edmond. I couldn't find a church on Waterloo.

kmf563
06-22-2007, 07:47 AM
ah, with that address mapquest has it located right across the street from UCO!!

flintysooner
06-22-2007, 08:04 AM
That's the old Herbert W Armstrong church. It is an interesting story. He published the Plain Truth magazine for a long time. His son, Garner Ted Armstrong, became leader eventually and in a still unprecedented and startling move admitted to errors in the teaching and returned to more traditional Christianity. At that point a split developed but as I recall a very large number remained with the main church.

I knew personally several people who belonged to the old church. They were such fine people and were absolutely committed to following the precepts of their faith. And there were a few inconvenient precepts, too.

Or that's the way I remember it at least - leaving plenty of room for faulty memory and error.

Okiekatt
06-22-2007, 08:06 AM
I thought it was near Simmons and Waterloo, Marko do you know exactly where it is? I'm not sure, it was mentioned somewhere else, but I got the impression it was on the Logan County side. I think the HQ part is in Edmond, I think the church and "college" must be out on Waterloo.

Okiekatt
06-22-2007, 08:13 AM
There are many that believe the "new" church still holds on to Armstrong's beliefs, they simply choose to hide it better now.

I think the scariest part of PCG group is the demands of it's members to cut off all family that is not a PCG member. I have been reading testimonies of ex-PCG members and current family members who are attempting to reach family.
A church, among other things, should strengthen a family bond, not tear it apart.

CuatrodeMayo
06-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Is it the one half a mile north of Waterloo & Bryant?

Marko
06-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Is it the one half a mile north of Waterloo & Bryant?

Yes, most people get confused thinking some things north of Waterloo are in Edmond just because a few places do in fact have Edmond addresses.

If you drive by this place you will not have a hard time figuring out what is going on!

jman253
06-22-2007, 09:59 PM
It has its own "Campus" for their teachings. I have been out there several times and well lets just say...... Well nevermind I will just say lots of people are interested in whats going on out there. Yes, they own the se corner of Simmons and Bryant (to the east of the Oak Cliff fire station). Can we all say WACO #2.

Okiekatt
06-22-2007, 10:36 PM
To say the least, WACO, and I'm afraid it's going to happen very soon.
Rev. Flurry is now preaching the "end of days" are here, we are in the final hours, the antichrist is already on the scene and he is worshiped, and so according to his timetable, the 2nd coming of Christ will come 2 years after the antichrist appeared. I am not making this up, go to the PCOG web site and watch his last sermon (posted today) about the "The Beast" and then read the excerpt on the upcoming sermon, "antichrist".

Anyone starts to pass out Koolaide, I'm out of here!!!!!!!!!!

Okiekatt
06-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Official website of The Key of David ©2007 (http://www.keyofdavid.com/Default.asp?siteMapId=Programs)

Sorry meant to post it on the last message.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-22-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm SOOOO going to streak their services next week.

Okiekatt
06-23-2007, 12:26 AM
Ohhhh Gawd the Smell, you are going to burn for that one. LOL
Good Luck getting past the guards.

jbkrems
06-23-2007, 01:51 AM
The Philadelphia COG group is basically a cult. I have personally met some of the members of this "church" and they are a strange group.

If you are looking for a new church home, I strongly recommend Faith Church near the corner of 15th and Bryant, behind the CVS store. You can check out our website at Welcome ! (http://www.faithchurchok.com/) We would love to have you as our guest at our Sunday morning service, 10AM.

jbkrems
06-23-2007, 01:53 AM
Oops... something weird happened with the URL in that post. It is Welcome ! (http://www.faithchurchok.com/)

jbkrems
06-23-2007, 01:54 AM
Alright, this is weird --- check it out at faithchurchok.com

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-23-2007, 02:58 AM
Ohhhh Gawd the Smell, you are going to burn for that one. LOL
Good Luck getting past the guards.

Not unless they have flamethrowers.

Like God would get upset with me for streaking THAT particular "church". :D

He'd have a c-note on me lasting less than 12 seconds before getting tackled by a crazy person.

Marko
06-23-2007, 06:48 AM
Alright, this is weird --- check it out at faithchurchok.com

LOL! I'm sure you have figured out you just click on "Welcome", When you enter a url on here it replaces it with what the tab for that page says.

jbkrems
06-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Marko,

Thanks for clue-ing me in. I was hoping it wouldn't do something weird like that.

fireman29b
06-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Ok I joined this group now. Looks like we can talk about this "organization" a little easier than GNL. I personally don't live very far from their "campus," and I've ALWAYS been a little uneasy about that place. We've been calling them the Branch Davidians since they moved in over there. A buddy of mine used to live with his parents there along Bryant and they almost forced them out of their house. They ended up buying it for WAY more than it was worth just to own the land near the entrance. I think one of the Rev's kids lives there now. I agree with Jman about people being interested in what's going on there. I know he has a little more insight about it, but I've been hearing about stuff like that over there for a while.

Marko
06-24-2007, 10:52 AM
How do you all like that? Yet another thread about this "organization" was deleted on GNL this morning!

Wbrook
06-24-2007, 12:19 PM
10-20 probably deleted it when it wasn't going in the direction he or she wanted it to.

Marko
06-24-2007, 12:49 PM
You are probably right, I couldn't remember who started it?

Okiekatt
06-24-2007, 02:28 PM
The First Capital Bank thread is gone, because Tuffenough started it and it's pretty safe to say they are members. It is still getting discussed on the "sign of the times" thread.

Have you guys gone to the web site and heard this guy preach, I have watched two sermons and have found three misquotes from the bible, he must not be using the "King James" version, more like the "Armstrong NutsO" version.

There are so many holes to their theory, and to say that Armstrong was Elijah for our times just because in 1944 Armstrong said the Nazis would go underground. YEAH well duh, who wasn't saying that in 1944?? That makes him Elijah? Armstrong's own son has said that his teachings were false, the entire church Armstrong founded, doesn't follow that belief anylonger. But our Rev Flurry at the PCOG is sticking to it. They are the one and only True Church, the rest of us are satan worshipers. They also believe that we are not saved by the blood of Christ, the only way to be saved is to be part of their church and if you leave it, you will burn in hell. Nice loving group huh?

Wbrook
06-24-2007, 04:14 PM
You're right, it was Tuffenough, not 10/20.

I just can't believe I've lived here pretty much my entire life and have never even heard a rumor about them. When I was a kid we were told rumors of a group that did satanic rituals at the Children's Home and the Cimarron river under the bridges. Figured that was just kids telling other kids scarey stories.

This group sounds pretty scary. Granted, I do not go to church every Sunday and know all there is to know, but I think I'm pretty safe sticking with the first thing I was ever taught, "Jesus loves me, this I know, cause the Bible tells me so."

Okiekatt
06-24-2007, 09:55 PM
There use to be a couple of satanic "churches" around logan county, an old law enforcement guy took me to one back in the 80's, it was a scary place. (it wasn't open at the time, no one was there)
When you walked in, there was a picture of Jesus on the floor of the entry way, they would spit on it as they walked in.
I'm sure they are still around here, somewhere.

The people I ask in Guthrie about the PCOG, either they know all about it, or like you (wbrook) and me, know nothing about it until now. If they are indeed a church, why is it they are not listed in the phone book, Edmond's or Guthrie's.

mburlison
07-04-2007, 01:47 PM
They (PCG) are an offshoot of the WCG (Herbert's), but a fringe splinter more than the mainstream WCG members under a new name. The split of the WCG resulted in many disparate factions going their separate ways.

Wbrook
07-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Okie, where was that "church" at? Is the building still standing?

jbrown84
07-05-2007, 03:31 PM
There's an Armstrong College north of Edmond on 170 acres?

I've never heard of it.

Marko
07-05-2007, 10:33 PM
It's in South Logan County, on 170 acres, yes, apparently so...

jman253
07-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Yes thats it