View Full Version : Relative arrested on embezzlement charge

SpectralMourning
06-21-2007, 12:34 AM
"By Augie Frost
Staff Writer
An Oklahoma City man accused of embezzling more than $600,000 from his uncle surrendered to authorities Tuesday night and was arrested on several complaints, an Oklahoma County sheriff's office spokesman said today.

David L. Browning, 54, was booked into the Oklahoma County jail on seven counts of embezzlement and one count of financial exploitation of the elderly, spokesman Mark Myers said. He was released on $18,000 bail.

"This is the largest embezzlement case ever investigated by the Oklahoma County sheriff's office,” Myers said.

Browning is accused of embezzling about $639,000 from his 82-year-old uncle, Charles Dew, whom Browning became the legal guardian over when a judge ruled Dew incompetent in May 2002, Myers said.

Authorities allege Browning wrote more than 300 checks to himself, his family and two family businesses, according to court papers.

In April 2005, Browning was terminated as Dew's legal guardian, but according to allegations made in court papers he continued to steal assets from Dew's estate."

This guy is my former boss at the Maytag dealership in Midwest City. I quit when the checks bounced, though I got my money. After hearing about this and knowing that the checks bounced, it makes me wonder where all of that money went. I really hope he gets the justice coming to him.