View Full Version : And people wonder why I don't want children...a video for your viewing pleasure

bandnerd
06-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Kid On Crack At Recital | gigglesugar - Funny Videos & Humor. (http://gigglesugar.com/287710)

NE Oasis
06-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Somehow I know that, despite inheriting the rebellion/question authority gene from both parents, your child would turn out better.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Is it wrong that I laughed through that whole thing? Here you go....Another reason. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWkZ_StRjU0)

MadMonk
06-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Kid On Crack At Recital | gigglesugar - Funny Videos & Humor. (http://gigglesugar.com/287710)
That was hilarious. Nobody could accuse him of lacking enthusiasm!

bandnerd
06-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Is it wrong that I laughed through that whole thing? Here you go....Another reason. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWkZ_StRjU0)

It's been awhile since I saw that--thanks!

OkieKAS
06-20-2007, 07:59 PM
What would you do in this situation?

I saw a kid act just like that the other night in Wal-Mart! The Mom just kept shaking her head and throwing up her hands. I could still hear him from severalmany aisles over. (approx age 3)

I know that people do not like to spank their kids in public, and this one, most certainly, didn't get it "once we got home", apparently, either.

In this day and time, I do not know what the appropriate response would be, however, I would have taken him to the nearest restroom or out to the car. As big as those baskets are, perhaps she should have turned one over and 'caged him'.

Fortunately, I don't have this as a problematic issue as my sons are grown and I do not have grandchildren. If I had one prone to tossing tantrums or had some sort of disAbility, then I would not have taken him to the store, in the first place.

I don't know how one could not know their child was prone to tossing fits.

I do not recall that any of mine were prone to that. They learned appropriate behaviors at home and they were reinforced at school or wherever they were.

PS: It is only humorous IF it isn't your kid!

bandnerd
06-20-2007, 09:24 PM
If my kid started acting like that, I would simply pick them up and go to the car. If they didn't calm down after that, we'd go home and I'd attempt the shopping trip at a later time when I could go on my own.

I will not say here what would be said to the child ;)

I know I didn't act like that in public...oh hecks naw. My mother would have had my soul on a platter. I say soul because she wasn't a spanker but more of a psychological-warfare kind of mom!

Lauri101
06-21-2007, 03:57 AM
When my daughters misbehaved in public, I made them "drop and give me 5" - pushups, that is. They knew that if they failed to do it, further consequences would be dire. I also had several occasions where I did pick them up and remove them from the location. Once was the circus, which they never forgot!

And yes, I spanked my children. Not whipped, not beaten, not shaken, but a couple of swats on the butt as needed. Reasoning with kids under the age of 3 seems to be hardly ever productive until you get their attention first!

Guess what - both have grown up to become highly productive members of society.

cindyl57
06-23-2007, 08:31 AM
In public, my children very rarely gave me fits but I usually nipped them in the bud with the old Arm squeeze...and the look...
And I did spank my children...like someone said a few swats on the butt...
And you use what works with each child...My daughter once told me...that by the time a child is 6...they shouldn't need the swats on the behind or on the hand anymore...

And I use to judge other parents when their kids were having fits in the store...
And then I had 4 Gchildren that fall under the Autistic Spectrum...And most of the time they do fine...But when they have a melt down...and you don't know where it will happen...Home, car, store....You have very little control over it.
You learn the triggers and you learn how to use skills to calm them and to bring them back down....But it can look to outsiders like what they really need is a swift paddling and good old fashioned discipline...

I have learned now to try and not judge the situation...Yes you can usually tell when a child is just acting out and trying to get their way...but sometimes it isn't that simple...and when a child is having a melt down...some times their behavior just seems like pure disrespect and lack of discipline.

And sometimes...the parents have no other choice but to finish their shopping and don't have the luxury of removing the child from the situation...

So when you run into this situation again...you might decide that this parent is overwhelmed and not a bad parent...and give her a smile...or ask her if she needs a helping hand....
And if it is a case of the Kid needs a swift kick in the Behind...She might just tell you so....LOL:fighting3
But if her child is a special needs child..You might bring her to tears with your kindness and understanding...And she will feel better knowing that her family hasn't completely ruined your day today....
And if you see a 5 year old child with a Binky in their mouth...instead of thinking what a bad parent...you might think...that child might be autistic or mentally retarded and that is one of the things that keeps that child grounded...

Enough preaching for one day....

I did love the video of the kid singing...Great!:congrats:
Cindy

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-24-2007, 01:06 AM
No disrespect, but sorry...No WAY am I walking up to a mother having a bad day with her kid and asking her if she needs help with them.

I'm 100 times more likely to get an onion hurled at my head as I am to get appreciation for a kind gesture in that situation...Because it's 100 times more likely that the child isn't special needs, they're simply being a little sh*t...And I just REALLY insulted her parenting skills with my "helping hand" offer.

So instead of that...I'll continue to stand behind the woman, taunting her kid with a big bag of candy bars, like I've been doing to all of you in the store for years. :D

Karried
06-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Ha! You're the culprit! I wish upon you a tantrum throwing 2 year old when you have kids.. lasting until they are 12 lol...

Okay, I know everyone is different and there are situations where this won't work.....

Parenting is WORK!

And most people don't realize that you just can't pop out a few kids, throw them in a shopping cart and expect them to be quiet little adults with folded hands while you spend three hours browsing through Target clothing clearance racks!!!!

YES!! I've seen it over and over... I hate that so much... the parent in Ross or wherever puts NO thought into this child sitting bored to death trapped in a cart and finally crying out of sheer frustration...then what happens?

The Mom starts smacking the kids for misbehaving! ... I want to smack her. Of course he is going to act out! He's trapped and bored to death!

Scenario 2... Mom loads up the kids to go on a shopping trip ... kids are cranky, need a nap and hungry - off they to go grocery shopping.

Perfect storm.

Problem is Mom didn't prepare, she didn't plan her day or take into account the fact that a two year old doesn't have the patience to sit in a cart without some help. You are taking a hungry child to a smorgasboard of goodies and telling him NO at every turn... of course, he will be upset after awhile.

That is why parenting is work....you have to work around some of the issues surrounding toddlers.

Here's a novel idea for some of these bonehead parents.... ( I used to work in a grocery store for 13 years.. I've seen it all when it comes to out of control kids)....

Pack a little baggie of cereal, or cut up fruit, bring some toys and books in a little travel bag for your child... interact with your child... my kids knew every color and grocery item before they were two! I'm sure I drove every other shopper crazy singing ABC's and pointing out every detail to keep the kids somewhat interested in their environment but it was better than a screaming child.

Because Children do scream and cry whether they are brats or not... they are kids.
They don't have the patience or fortitude to act like adults because they are not adults.

If people want to try to force toddlers into acting like adults, then they aren't ready to have kids in my opinion.

I'm not saying it's a free for all...again as a parent, you have to set boundaries and expect children to behave.

There is no way my kids would ever run through the store or act completely out of control. I never spanked them but for some reason, they just don't act that way.....I've had my share of raising my voice and giving them the 'evil eye'...

You have to prepare for the environment though... before you take a child into a store, you say to them.. ' I expect you to behave yourself in this store out of consideration for the other shoppers. That means no running, no loud voices etc etc... if you can't do this while we are in the store, when we get home, you will be grounded in your room as a consequence. "

When they are really little and you can't reason, there are times where you might have to take them out to the car. Distraction works wonders and patience as a parent is much needed.

Kids are kids.. they feel frustrated sometimes, they don't have impulse control, they don't have reasoning skills yet or patience.

Scenario 3: A few weeks ago we were having breakfast at Jimmy's... a young mom puts her 1(?) year old in a high chair behind us... the entire meal, I watched them. The mom orders the baby some juice and spends the next half hour shoving the sippy cup into her mouth everytime the child talked, whimpered or got bored... can we say Sugar High? The baby didn't have ONE toy, nothing to do with her hands while waiting for her food. The mom spent the entire time telling the poor kid to shush, be still, stay quiet.. The baby starts crying, the mom never interacted with her, never engaged her. I was so stressed just watching all this! I started playing peek a boo and finally the child stopped squirming and was interested in this crazy lady making faces at her.. but it worked!

In front of the mom were two tubs filled with Creamer and Jelly. Can you imagine the fun that child would have had building a tower of creamer or jelly? And learning about colors and searching for roosters in the pictures on the wall (I-spy)? (We still do this with our kids. We have contests, we all get child menus and color and race to finish word search first.)

Parenting is work. You have to stimulate their minds while they are young. What a lost opportunity for this young mom to spend quality time with her baby. She probably left so discouraged and vowing never to try to go out to eat with her daughter again. It was very sad.

It's the parent's job to teach them over time the proper way to behave early on and adjust the situation so it works for everyone (especially when they are very young).

cindyl57
06-24-2007, 08:54 AM
:congrats: :tiphat: Great Post...Parenting is work...and somedays...you are better at it than others...and somedays...Kids are better than other days...

And for the othe guy ducking onions...You are right...I thought about what I said...Yeah...Some parents wouldn't like you butting into their "parenting" plan...lol

But if you see a mother who is visibly overwhelmed...I do urge you to smile and make her feel less like a burden on your day and if not a helping hand...Just a nod and a little understanding...

Parenting is work...and sometimes our best efforts...well on a bad day...fall a little short...

Cindy

Karried
06-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Parenting is work...and sometimes our best efforts...well on a bad day...fall a little short...

Thanks... and you are so right. There have been times even with the best laid plans where I found myself wanting to pull my hair out.. ( or their's - ha,ha! - Just kidding!!)

Kids are challenging. That's why I wish so badly that young unprepared kids don't have them! Teen moms have such a hard job and sometimes the poor children pay for it.

I think being somewhat mature and stable makes good parenting a little easier to accomplish.

MadMonk
06-24-2007, 07:56 PM
One thing we do (when we can) is that I go along on the shopping trip and put the kids in one basket and the wife goes to get the groceries. The kids and I head toward the kid books aisle. I place a couple 12-pack soda boxes in there to make a good seat for them (I doubt those wire baskets are comfortable). I let them pick out a few books each and then we go to the automotive and/or camping section to pass the time for me (gotta love Wal Mart). They sit and read the books and I browse the "man stuff". ;) The wife calls me on my cellphone when she's ready to check out. Sometimes, if the kids have been "good", they get to keep one of the books they picked out. It works out great. They enjoy the books and I enjoy not shopping for groceries (so boring), and my wife enjoys a stress-free shopping experience. I can't go every time though so my wife has to time a trip after lunch when they are relatively docile. :D

So if you ever run across a guy with two kids sitting on 12-pack soda boxes reading books while he browses the tools or camping supplies, say hi. :tiphat:

Karried
06-24-2007, 08:24 PM
lol... I used to do the very same thing at Ross or Target.... choose a few books ( or bring some) ... isn't it amazing how a little thing like that can make or break the day?

And I remember Madmonk, your little angels are extremely smart... coincidence? I don't think so.

MadMonk
06-25-2007, 12:50 PM
lol... I used to do the very same thing at Ross or Target.... choose a few books ( or bring some) ... isn't it amazing how a little thing like that can make or break the day?

And I remember Madmonk, your little angels are extremely smart... coincidence? I don't think so.
Heh, everything's a potential learning experience. :Smiley199

Karried
06-25-2007, 07:37 PM
tee hee.. you're preaching to the choir... I'll admit, I went a bit overboard, although, not really by choice... if you recall we were therapeutic foster parents for abused children. Well, these poor kids were so far behind in school.. who could blame them?

I went out and bought every CD/tape known to man.. ie Phonics, States and Capitals, Multiplication Rap etc etc.. so everytime we would drive anywhere.. we would all Sing and Rap along... 'Learning States and Capitals.. Learning Capitals and States..' .... those poor kids.. ha,ha. But it helped.

My oldest son was a toddler at the time and absorbed so much just by listening to those tapes... at age 7 he knew every Capital and State and still does..

I'm a firm believer in Auditory learning... ask my kids.. I'll belt out at the top of my lungs (while driving) the lyrics of a 20 year old song.. and I can't remember what I ate for dinner yesterday.