View Full Version : Amtrak: Heartland Flyer Route Down Indefinitely

OkieKAS
06-19-2007, 11:55 AM
OKLAHOMA CITY -- For those who had planned on taking the Heartland Flyer to Texas, officials said a change of plans might be in order.

Amtrak is busing passengers between Oklahoma City and Fort Worth until further notice, officials said.

Crews need to make major track repairs in north Texas, and other portions are still under water.

bombermwc
06-20-2007, 09:02 AM
I forsee them using this as an opportunity to close the whole thing.

jbrown84
06-20-2007, 09:09 AM
I was thinking that myself. :(

SWOKC 4 me
06-20-2007, 12:38 PM
I think it is back up beginning today.

David Pollard
06-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Can anybody verify if it is actually working or not? I am planning on taking the trip to Fort Worth (as a novelty only) on 5 July. Really don't feel like sitting in a bus to FW!

metro
06-20-2007, 01:44 PM
I think a BUS negates the whole purpose of riding a train to Ft. Worth. Otherwise a person would go Greyhound or drive and get there a lot quicker. It's obvious most folks riding the Heartland Flyer are doing it more for nostalgia.

imafish
06-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Heartland Flyer back on track

The Amtrak route from Oklahoma City to Fort Worth, Texas, will resume its normal route beginning Wednesday, Oklahoma Department of Transportation officials said Tuesday.

The Heartland Flyer will leave the Santa Fe Station at its normal departure time of 8:25 a.m., officials said.

Extensive flooding in Gainesville and other parts of northern Texas led to the closure of BNSF Railroad tracks on Monday.

Amtrak arranged to transport passengers by bus from Oklahoma City to Fort Worth during the closure

transport_oklahoma
06-20-2007, 11:07 PM
It's obvious most folks riding the Heartland Flyer are doing it more for nostalgia.

From that statement, its clear you haven't been on board.

There are people who commute every week on that train. And lots of elderly and physically challenged who couldn't drive a car that distance.

Since no other carrier serves Purcell and Pauls Valley and there is no bus service at all between Oklahoma City and Fort Worth, they had to provide dedicated transportation to ticket holders.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-20-2007, 11:23 PM
How much does a train ride cost to Dallas anyway? Not that I'd take a train...Just wondering.

Never mind...Found it. $24. That's pretty dang cheap.

SuperScooper
06-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Maybe they should pick up some of these to clean up the water mess.

http://www.popeye-x.com/images/cyber_bounty_paper_towels.jpg

metro
06-21-2007, 08:11 AM
From that statement, its clear you haven't been on board.

There are people who commute every week on that train. And lots of elderly and physically challenged who couldn't drive a car that distance.

Since no other carrier serves Purcell and Pauls Valley and there is no bus service at all between Oklahoma City and Fort Worth, they had to provide dedicated transportation to ticket holders.

You're correct, I have not been on board, yet! But I plan on taking my wife this year for a weekend trip. But it also is clear you're a first time poster and possibly defending your employer based upon your screenname? Either way, I'm still betting that there is a decent percentage of people who take it for leisurely travel and nostalgia as a different way to get to the DFW metroplex. I know myself and many like me, it would be the only reason to take it, as I can drive cheaper and faster in my own car. I would only do it for the uniqueness.:tiphat:

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-21-2007, 08:15 AM
Cheaper than $24 in your car?

Where are YOU buying gas?

Martin
06-21-2007, 08:22 AM
actually, ogts... metro stated that it would be him and his wife. so we're talking $48 for two tickets versus the cost of a tank of gas.

-M

SoonerDave
06-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Let's see...on the highway, my little Buick plops down about 28mpg, and round trip to Dallas from my doorstep is about 360 miles. That works out to about 13 gallons...half that at $2.75/gallon comes to about $18 for my whole family. If I read the other message right, $24 is for one ticket, so that's $96 for my whole crew.

Yikes.

And that discounts the fact that my time is valuable, too. I save about two hours driving over the HeartlandTaxWaster, so by all measure for me the car trip is cheaper..

-soonerdave

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-21-2007, 08:26 AM
True...Also, now that I think about it...I'm just used to my NASTY gas bill and the narcissist in me just assumes that everybody else has a retarded vehicle. It costs me more than $50 to drive to Dallas :D

Martin
06-21-2007, 08:33 AM
ahem... i think your vehicle would prefer the term, 'physically challenged' : )

-M

Martin
06-21-2007, 08:35 AM
...and soonerdave, i think that $24 ticket might be one-way! how does $192 sit with you? -M

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-21-2007, 08:39 AM
ahem... i think your vehicle would prefer the term, 'physically challenged' : )

-M

"Rolling billboard of conspicuous consumption" is more like it. :D

I've actually got two, and only one of them (the fun one) is that bad...Plus I only commute about 10 miles total a day.

SWOKC 4 me
06-21-2007, 08:43 AM
I have a friend that does take it to Gainsville a few times a year. She likes the convenience of not dealing with a car while there. She takes the train, then a shuttle or something to the outlet mall. It is usually just her and a friend.

Myself I have ridden it three or four times and many people I spoke to just take it just because they like the views near the red river or whatever. However I did see a teenage kid that said he takes it from Ardmore to OKC and back once a week to see his dad. I have also talked to people who take it regularly because they just don't like to drive and find train travel cheaper that air and more comfortable than riding a bus.

So to sum it up I think different people ride for different reasons.

For me it is for the ride itself some others say they need the train. Either way I hope it stays and I would like to see some updating of the cars.

metro
06-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Cheaper than $24 in your car?

Where are YOU buying gas?

And as SoonerDave said, his BUICK get's better gas mileage and can haul his 4 person family to DFW for about 18 bucks. I drive a newer Toyota that gets about 38mpg. A full tank of gas at today's prices cost a $20 bill and I can go almost 400 miles on a tank. Not to mention if my wife and I took the train it would be $48 one way or $96 round trip. No thanks, I'll ride the Heartland for nostalgia, but not as a commuter rail. I have a hard time believing the claim above that most of the riders use this as their regular commuter mode to Fort Worth for business.