View Full Version : Downtowner's indoor soccer team?

metro
06-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Hey all,

I'm wanting to get back into playing indoor soccer. I played 2 or 3 seasons the last few years and took the last 9 months or so off due to a hurt toe and then my wedding. I'm having trouble finding a team to play for, so I'm wondering if there is enough of you downtowners that would be interested in forming a Coed indoor soccer team. The games would be played over by Lake Hefner at Hat Trick and cost would be approximately $60 for 8 games (plus possibility of championship tournament). This would not cover for a uniform and/or shoes and shinguards although those can be picked up cheap.

Is anyone interested in something like this? They have different levels of leagues so it wouldn't have to be something too challenging, but more for fun.

striker
06-18-2007, 04:17 PM
There's a closer place to play for downtown people at Reno & Meridian (basically). Let's Play Sports, Inc. (http://www.letsplaysoccer.com). It's called ISA.

metro
06-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Good call striker. I forgot about that place. Hey didn't we play last summer on the same team? Are you interested in playing?

jbrown84
06-19-2007, 08:41 AM
I don't play soccer, but it would be cool to have a team of downtowners. Maybe you could organize through Urban Neighbors.

metro
06-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Yeah, that's my new plan to organize the team through Urban Neighbors, I just wanted to post the idea on here as well for downtowners who aren't involved with Urban Neighbors (at least not yet).

jbrown84
06-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Yeah good luck. It would be a good thing for downtown residents.

metro
07-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Folks, we're still needing quite a few folks to fill up our downtowners indoor soccer team. It's co-ed and so far we don't have any ladies signed up. It's not too competitive, it's more about going out and having fun, staying in shape, and getting to know other downtowners or downtown supporters (i.e. non-downtown residents). PM me for more info if you're interested.

striker
07-13-2007, 02:48 PM
How many guys have you got? What league will you be in?

metro
07-14-2007, 09:15 AM
striker, so far we only have 3 guys, no girls. I don't really think everyone understood what it is. I explained it pretty thorougly though. I plan on announcing it again at the next business meeting as well. You don't have to be a part of Urban Neighbors to join. Just a resident, worker or friend of downtown that wants to have fun. I haven't decided what league we'll be in yet. It depends who signs up, and their skill levels combined. Most importantly its just for fun and not so much for the competition.

Misty
07-18-2007, 08:22 AM
striker, so far we only have 3 guys, no girls. I don't really think everyone understood what it is. I explained it pretty thorougly though. I plan on announcing it again at the next business meeting as well. You don't have to be a part of Urban Neighbors to join. Just a resident, worker or friend of downtown that wants to have fun. I haven't decided what league we'll be in yet. It depends who signs up, and their skill levels combined. Most importantly its just for fun and not so much for the competition.

I think everyone understood and I think it's a great idea. I just don't think there is that much interest (in general) in indoor soccer and didn't seem to be much interest at the meeting. You might have some luck making a flyer and distributing, the UN has had pretty good luck doing this with our meeting notices. I'd suggest Deep Deuce apts, there's a fairly young crowd there and I've seen a lot of athletic guys in that complex.

metro
07-18-2007, 08:54 AM
I agree, but it's not guys that we're lacking its girls. There is a HUGE interest in indoor soccer in OKC. At Hat Trick alone there are over 400 teams that play on a regular basis. I've organized a team of 20-something downtowners in the past, but I'm hoping to open this team up more to UN type of people. I got many of people at the meeting alone who told me it was an excellent idea and they would like to see more of these sporting teams (intermurals, etc.). Honestly, my personal opinon from having helped start two other very similar organizations in downtown over the past 3 years, is that the organization is new, the people are new to it and still trying to figure out what it is and what they want out of it. Give it time and I guarantee this and other things will take off.