View Full Version : Dell Updates

mranderson
11-19-2004, 04:31 PM
The following message is a repeat, but I wanted to start a seperate Dell thread.

Here is some things I have learned about the new call center now that I am a Dell Employee.

The center is schedualed to open in August. It will consist of four buildings in a campus setting. each department will have their own building with the agents having their own office.

Sales and support. The business sales center and the consumer sales center will share a building with sales support personnel such as internet people.

Technical and customer support will share a building along with their support personnel such as internet people.

Call distribution and direction. This department is brand new to Dell and Oklahoma City is the only city in the wrld with this department. I will have a seperate paragraph on the function.

Operations and Administration. Self explanitory. This will house upper management, personnel (human resources for those who insist on yuppie terms), and other functions.

Distribution and direction take the place of the automated answering devises that prompt you to press a number, then send you on a roller coaster ride. This function is done live.

The trainer said Dell surveyed customers who said they wanted a live voice. We have a computer program that advises where the call is to be transfered, thus reducing incorrect transfers by a large number. Sometimes, a customer may say they want customer care (as it is called by Dell) when they really need tech support, or the reverse. The computer program solves this problem.

This is my department. We have about 50 voice agents plus "coaches" and management, so far, but that number is expected to grow.

I thought you might want to know what is up, and what inovative steps Dell likes to take to make it easier on the consumer with getting you where you need to be. :Smiley173

mranderson
11-19-2004, 04:36 PM
Since I posted that message, I have learned a bit more.

To start it may not be the four buildings. It may be one or as many as three. They will be three stories each and an employee gymnasium. They thought about an employee swimming pool, but said no for liablity concerns.

They have not said what the buidlings are going to look like yet, but they are planning as many as 5,000 employees.

From what i understand, things change by the minute, so until the architect finishes and building permits are issued, it could change again.

Post your thoughts and your questions. I will answer as many as I can. Suggestionas are also welcome as long as they are rational. :Smiley145

Patrick
11-21-2004, 02:31 AM
Hmmmmm....I like the idea of going with taller buildings, and fewer of them. I'd rather have something more dense, than one story spread out! I'm with some of the others on this forum....I wish they'd go with a dark black color, something that looks similar to a Dell!

mranderson
11-29-2004, 07:58 AM
WOO HOO! We broke ground on the new call center this morning! :Smiley173

HOT ROD
11-29-2004, 08:36 PM
Horay! I think this is the beginning to something very good!

Now, if we could get Microsoft to open an office (or backoffice) in OKC.

Luke
11-29-2004, 09:45 PM
Man, to get Dell and Microsoft even as secondary "hubs" would be awesome. Why, are there rumors of Microsoft establishing some sort of OKC office?

Patrick
11-29-2004, 10:45 PM
Seems like those rumors have been going on ever since Dell made their selection. Hmmm...wonder if there's any truth to it!

Anyways, I know Dell and its employees will be happy for the new facility. I drove by Hertz Financial Center today and that place was packed. There are so many Dell workers, they've run out of parking space and had to resort to leasing the parking lot at Mayflower Congregational Church across 63rd Street for overflow parking! It's great to see all of those lots full! I haven't seen the lots at Hertz Financial that full in quite some time! I bet Hertz Financial Center will be sad to see Dell leave!

Luke
11-29-2004, 10:47 PM
Any sketches of what the new Dell place will look like? I hope it's at least somewhat unique.

mranderson
11-30-2004, 06:01 AM
No plans that we have seen yet.

Yes. Patrick is correct. The lot is packed. So packed, not only did they have to lease part of the Mayflower lot, but also a lot on NW 39 expressway. It now takes me 15 extra minutes to get to work because I have to park in the new lot and shuttle to the office.

Also. Rumor has it that Hertz is about to move out of the finacial building.

metro
11-30-2004, 03:21 PM
Any rumors on who may be taking it over?

mranderson
11-30-2004, 03:29 PM
Any rumors on who may be taking it over?

No. I heard talk during a break. Just that Hertz may be moving. If it is true, my bet is Hertz is building a new building. The only part of them that is not based in Oklahoma City is the board of directors, so, a larger building may be in order. Try about 4,000 employees (that is my guess).

Luke
11-30-2004, 07:27 PM
Hertz on da' rivah!

okcpulse
11-30-2004, 11:25 PM
According to The Journal Record two years ago (I dug up the paper in my stack), Hertz had made plans to move its financial center over to the new Hertz Administration building in Quail Springs Corporate Park, which would leave a chunk of the Northwest Expressway building vacated, now occupied by Dell.

I heard an uncomfirmed, speculative rumor that once the CEO of Hertz retires, the whole show will be in Oklahoma City. Like I said, just a rumor. Hope it comes to fruition!

If my wife and I weren't moving to Texas, I'd probably already be working for Dell. Who knows!

Patrick
12-01-2004, 12:30 AM
The Hertz Financial Center is such a nice building...hopefully someone will grab a hold of it! It's a newer structure with an open floor plan, so I'm not quite sure why it has been so hard to lease. Maybe Hertz is just being picky. They ought to just move their reservation center over there from Hefner and Penn!

metro
12-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Downtown maybe.......???

mranderson
12-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Downtown maybe.......???

The corproate Plaza makes sense, since they own that building. However, there may be some staff members that live south, so, locating far north is rarely the answer. Downtown Oklahoma City is almost dead center. Along the river? Maybe. Dell will take about 65 acres alone.

Although it would be a good idea to locate downtown, I know it will not happen. Hertz moved here when the C oc C was descrimiating against anything south of Wilshire. Hertz is too firmly planted to go to another part of the city.

I would like to see them buy the First National tower and rename it Hertz Center with a big Hertz logo on top. Or better yet, the logo with a neon OJ Simpson jumping over it.

metro
12-01-2004, 10:03 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if they end up downtown. wait and see. also any sketches yet of the new call center, they have to be drawn up if they are building now??

mranderson
12-01-2004, 11:54 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if they end up downtown. wait and see. also any sketches yet of the new call center, they have to be drawn up if they are building now??

No doubt the architects are finished with design. However, we have no idea what the building will look like. I have not even heard who the General Contractor is.

I pass by every work day and look at the site. They have been working two days, and the mound created by the String of Pearls is very rapidly being whittled down. If I hear who and see what it will look like, if it is not confidential, I will release it.

Who knows. Maybe Mayor Cornett knows and can say. Any word from city hall, Mr. Mayor?

Patrick
12-01-2004, 04:45 PM
I really doubt they'll move downtown. Afterall, the building they own on NW Expressway and NW 63rd St. is pretty empty when you factor Dell out of the equation. It's a newer building with an open floor plan. If they needed a corporate headquarters, they'd probably locate there first, since they already own it.

I think the Oklahoma River will have benefits and drawbacks for our city. The benefits are of course the recreation it will provide and the development it will draw. But, at the same time, corporations may bypass downtown for cheaper land on the Oklahoma river, thus hurting our chances of locating businesses and coporations downtown.

mranderson
12-03-2004, 07:47 AM
Here is the latest scoop. Keep in mind, I have heard several things about the new campus. What is accurate may not be known until we move in August.

I first heard four buildings three floors each. Then one, then three. I am now hearing seven, starting with one. When that one is full, then the second will be build, then third, etc. One being the fitness center.

My manager worked at Dell for six years, then left and came back last week. So, I trust her judgement in these things. She said Dell likes all the buildings across the country to look alike. So, if you see pictures of Dell's headquarters in Round Rock, Texas, then you will see the one here. She also said the reason for the "campus" is because Austin has or had a building code that restrictedbuilding heigth to three floors. I presume she meant in outlining areas. Therefore, since Michael Dell likes uniformity, he wants all buildings to look alike.

TStheThird
12-03-2004, 01:14 PM
Here are a few pictures that I found on the web.

http://www.phildata.com/products/dell/images/office.jpg

http://www.dprinc.com/projects/images/project_21.gif

TStheThird
12-03-2004, 01:16 PM
Here is a larger version of the second pic.

http://www.dprinc.com/projects/project_images/project_21.jpg

TStheThird
12-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Here is a pic of the Manufacturing and Distribution Facility in Austin, Texas.

http://www.dprinc.com/projects/project_images/project_68.jpg

mranderson
12-03-2004, 01:42 PM
Thanks, TS. That helps. It may not be the same footprint, but from what I heard, you hit it. :Smiley173

Patrick
12-04-2004, 01:49 AM
Unfortunately, there's nothing really special about those buildings. I suppose this will just be another office park! Oh well! I guess it's better than a mound of dirt on the south banks of the Oklahoma River.

mranderson
12-09-2004, 09:00 AM
After consulting a couple of members, I have decided to give a weekly update of the building progress. If I miss a week, it will be because no major progress has been seen or nothing to report.

The contractor has rolled a crane onto the building site. Gravel is being layed to prep the site for foundation, plus plumbing rough in is being layed as well.

I expect the foundation to be poured in mid January or early February.

metro
12-09-2004, 09:14 AM
Is it that site just west of I-244? I saw a bunch of dirt being moved.

mranderson
12-09-2004, 09:19 AM
No. I-244 is in Tulsa. The site is slightly south of I-40 and west of I-44 on SW 15. Technically, it is the corner of SW 15 and I-44.

They have been moving the mound and are now in the stage of leveling the area for the foundation.