View Full Version : Wednesday night bike rides in downtown OKC

metro
06-15-2007, 08:41 AM
While, I'm a little discouraged about the timing of this event, it is still exciting and a much needed activity in downtown OKC. Starting next Wednesday, June 20th, newly-opened Bicycle Alley (in Automobile Alley) will be hosting Wednesday night bike rides. People can park at the store for free or ride their bikes there if you live close enough. Starting at 6pm the bicycling tour will commence. Riders will tour a different Downtown/Midtown/Riverside route each week. I believe this first week the owner of Bicycle Alley mentioned they would probably ride through Midtown/Mesta Park/Heritage Hills and end up at a downtown restaurant or bar afterwards. This will be a weekly event. Glad to see more activities coming online for us downtowners or friends of downtown; not to mention seeing more people outside after business hours. Now we just need some tennisball/raquetball/basketball type facilities somewhere downtown for the general public. Perhaps it could even be on top of a building somewhere in the CBD.

Tim
06-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Metro, any info on distance/pace?

BDP
06-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Now we just need some tennisball/raquetball/basketball type facilities somewhere downtown for the general public.

That's a good idea. Maybe the Y could build an outdoor racket/basketball complex on the grassy knoll across the street from them??

jbrown84
06-15-2007, 08:55 AM
But then it wouldn't be public.

I think the area with parking there needs to be developed, and then the grassy part should become an official city park. I think it would be a good place to put in a bandshell/stage, because there is a natural slope and it would make a great place for outdoor concerts and screenings.

metro
06-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Metro, any info on distance/pace?

Tim, I sure don't. I'm sure it will be pretty casual. I'd encourage you to contact the owner of Bicycle Alley directly to answer any specific questions. If you do, please post what you find out on here.

Misty
06-15-2007, 09:15 AM
It will be a slow pace and not too far of a ride. Just a leisurely ride! Metro-why are you discouraged about the timing of the event? We thought Wednesdays would be a great day, right in the middle of the week for some biking fun! Many thanks to Terry Enos, owner of Bicycle Alley, for setting this up. If you haven't been to the store yet you need to go check it out!

jbrown84
06-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I see no problem with the timing, unless he means that it's starting in the warmer months.

At least it's not at 2:30 in the afternoon on a work day like all of Cornett's round table discussions and OCURA's hearings.

Pete
06-15-2007, 09:23 AM
What a great idea.

And if the group really grows, they can easily split into those that want to go faster and further versus the more leisurely types.

Plus, they could easily add weekend rides that would take people down and around the river.

Misty
06-15-2007, 09:30 AM
A couple of weeks ago I was telling Terry that one of the things I really miss about Austin was my friends and I all biking out to dinner or for drinks. So he said "let's do it"! I believe he has another group that rides on Tuesdays for the "real" cyclists (the fast ones!). I'm just a casual rider, I ride in my flip flops for cocktails! If anyone is interested in the other group you should call Terry and get more info (and then post it here!).

tuck
06-15-2007, 02:46 PM
First round of drinks and some apps will be on me at Cheevers. Let me know for sure.

Misty
06-15-2007, 03:26 PM
First round of drinks and some apps will be on me at Cheevers. Let me know for sure.

Thanks Tuck, that is great! I've passed this info on Terry Enos. I am going to Austin Wednesday morning so I won't make this bike ride but will do the next one for sure. Just remember that I don't like onions in my tuna salad.

metro
06-15-2007, 04:21 PM
It will be a slow pace and not too far of a ride. Just a leisurely ride! Metro-why are you discouraged about the timing of the event? We thought Wednesdays would be a great day, right in the middle of the week for some biking fun! Many thanks to Terry Enos, owner of Bicycle Alley, for setting this up. If you haven't been to the store yet you need to go check it out!

I'm discouraged about the timing because a decent amount of people have church on Wednesday nights. If it was another night of the week during the same time, I'd have no problem with it. Wednesday nights automatically cancel out the church crowd. To some, I'm sure that doesn't bother them at all. :dizzy:

tuck
06-15-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks Tuck, that is great! I've passed this info on Terry Enos. I am going to Austin Wednesday morning so I won't make this bike ride but will do the next one for sure. Just remember that I don't like onions in my tuna salad.

No onions it is. Have a great time in Austin. Have a breakfast taco at Maria's for me...I freakin' love that place.

jbrown84
06-15-2007, 10:52 PM
OH, I didn't even think about church...

Misty
06-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Just a reminder about the ride tomorrow, starts at Bicycle Alley at 6:00, rides through downtown and ends at Cheevers!

Rides and Events - bicyclealleyokc.com (http://bicyclealleyokc.com/page.cfm?PageID=37)