View Full Version : Know I've seen the scammed folks on tv, but...

Easy180
06-15-2007, 07:56 AM
I never knew if they were actually the real deal....Answer is obviously yes....One of my banker buddies just had a customer lose around 7k to this scam

Can anyone come up with anything remotely logical to explain why anyone would or could fall for this?

Most Nigerian scams rely on a certain amount of greed on the part of the target and a willingness to overlook the legal aspects of the proposal, such as ferreting illegally acquired funds out of Nigeria or other countries.

The Counterfeit Check scam, on the other hand, is based on the total honesty of the swindler's target which is you, the seller.

Following the buyer's request, you deposit the check into your account. If you have received a Cashier's Check or have an excellent credit record with your bank, the check will be credited to your account without delay. If the funds were wired directly to your account from another bank, then there is no question that the money is readily available.

You then immediately arrange for the excess funds to be wired to the bank account number the buyer has supplied to you for that purpose, or to forward the funds through Western Union. Your bank sends the funds out either that day or the following morning, or you run down to the nearest Western Union office to wire the funds to London or Italy or wherever.

Shortly thereafter you receive a call from the bank and the roof falls in on you.

Midtowner
06-15-2007, 08:09 AM
I know someone who almost get hit by the lottery scam. She entered a lottery online and promptly received both email and snail mail confirmation that she was, indeed, the winner of $250,000. The snail mail enclosed a big 'ol check several thousand bucks.

The person (smartly) deposited this into a separate account. The letter specified that this money was meant for paying the taxes and fees on the $250,000, so she was supposed to send that money on a check drawn from her account to another address.

Smartly, she did some checking on the lottery company and found out it was a scam -- that the big 'ol check wouldn't clear, but the folks at the other end would have that money she sent to pay the "fees." She'd of course be left to pay the bank back for that hot check.

CuatrodeMayo
06-15-2007, 08:12 AM
I mean really...if you get an email like this, just think for just 10 seconds.

People who loose money this way deserve to lose it:

1. For being greedy.
2. For being stupid.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Tell my grandmother that.

Being stupid isn't the same as being naive to the ways of the internet.

Easy180
06-15-2007, 09:12 PM
Well the hook on this one really didn't involve the internet other than the initial sale...I'm pretty sure they respond to online ads with this beyond ridiculous email

Nigerian dude...."I have a couple of cashiers checks to pay you with, but my bank can't break them down...Can I just pay you $5,000 extra for those $300 worth of comic books and you can wire it back to me?"

Mensa candidate..."Oh sure....I have to finish my fingerpainting homework before I can go to the bank though"

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-15-2007, 10:27 PM
Sounds good to me.

Fingerpainting is HARD :(

CuatrodeMayo
06-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Got this this morning. Any takers?

I NEED YOUR HELP.
PRIVATE E-MAIL: jonathanasarib@myway.com
TELEFAX: +234-802 680 4198

My names are Engr. Jonathan P. Asaribo; the executive director of projects with the Niger Delta Development Commission (N.D.D.C). I got your contact while searching for a reliable person who could help us receive the sum of $24.50 million from the government establishment I preside over as a director. The government establishment I mean is "NDDC" which was set up in the year 2000 by the present civilian government as a Federal Government intervention in rebuilding the more than 3 decades of neglected, bartered, and environmentally polluted oil rich region of the country called the NIGER-DELTA. Niger-Delta is the South-South geographical area of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Please read this;

http://www.nigeria-law.org/Niger-DeltaDevelopmentCommission(Establishment%20etc)Act 2000.htm (http://www.nigeria-law.org/Niger-DeltaDevelopmentCommission(Establishment%20etc)Act 2000.htm)
I have studied the ethnic, political and religious situation in my country and I am convinced that NDDC will be scrapped off at the expiration of the tenure of this present civilian government, thereby returning the Niger-Deltans back to the ugly years of criminal neglect. It will be recalled that before the coming into power of this present civilian government, Niger-Delta region recorded the highest child's death in our generation; our Rivers were polluted by the oil exploration activities and fishery being our primary occupation suffered, there was acute starvation across the region and the region lacked all basic amenities. I am from the Niger Delta region and as a prominent son of the region, I feel the best I owe God and my people, the Niger-Deltans, is to set up a non governmental organization (NGO) through which basic amenities and scholarships can be provided to my people.

During the budget preparation and defense, by virtue of my position as the executive director of projects in alliance with the head of the account section, we were able to inflate the current budgetary allocation to the tune of US$24.50Million. All the contracts had been executed and commissioned; the contractors have all received their full payments and have all gone; what is left now is the outstanding US$34.5M which is still pending on our record as a sum to be paid to a contractor. It is only me and my colleague that knows that the outstanding sum is a fund we will take for ourselves, but we will not be able to approve the release of the fund to ourselves; hence we plead for your consent to present you as contractor so that we can speedily release the money to you. Please note that there is no risk involved as we have earlier put the record clear that the contractor(which will be you) who owns the outstanding fund left the country as a result of the spate of violence and kidnapping by militants in the region. PLEASE READ THIS; Http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/printds/118604 (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/printds/118604)

Every arrangement for the smooth release of the fund to you is already in place and as soon as I get your consent, further instructions will be passed unto you on the procedure that we will follow in accomplishing this task.

I anxiously wait to hear from you.

Engr. Jonathan Asaribo