View Full Version : Puppy Feeding Question

Lavanda
06-13-2007, 06:19 AM
Everything I have read and been told says that a dog's food should only be left down for 5-15 minutes, then picked up, regardless of how much the pup has eaten. Sometimes my 3-1/2 month old Shih Tzu cross has barely even touched her food after an hour of it being down. I'm feeding her according to the recommendations on the bag (a mix of Orjen and Pedigree kibble - she was fed Pedigree at her birth home, so we're slowly making the transition to the Orjen). I feed her approx. 1/4 cup twice a day - barely even the recommendation on the kibble bag. She likes to grab a couple pieces and run into the living room to eat them, then goes back for more to do it again. I'd say she get's distracted and forgets to eat the rest, but when I put her in her crate to eat, she still only eats a few bites. Therefore I sometimes leave her food down for a couple hours until most of it is gone. She was at the vet for a check-up and shots last weekend and is fine, including her weight (she's gained over a pound in the month we've had her).

My questions are:
1. Should I try feeding her smaller amounts 3x a day?
2. Is picking up her food after 15 minutes something I have to do? If so, why?

Pete
06-13-2007, 08:40 AM
I would cut her back to 2 times a day and not leave her food for more than 15 minutes.

The reason you pick it up is so they won't be a lazy eater... She'll learn to eat it right away, and believe me, if she's hungry she'll eat.

As long as she maintains a healthy weight, you're fine.

(BTW, I breed and raise champion-quality Labradors.)

Good luck!

PUGalicious
06-13-2007, 09:38 AM
I wish my pugs would take longer than 60 seconds to down their morning and evening meals!

oldglory
06-13-2007, 09:55 AM
I have a five year old Boxer and i feed him once in the evening, and it also takes him about 60 second to eat also, When he was a pup I feed him twice a day, never had a problem he always inhaled it.......

oldglory
06-13-2007, 10:00 AM
I will agree with Malibu however, if a dog always has food in around they will become fat and unhealthy down the round..

RussBraaten
06-14-2007, 08:22 PM
I have a LhasaPoo and a Pure Poodle and have owned many dogs. These dogs and many that I have had are free fed. I keep food in the bowl all day but they never are given more than a certain amount. In other words, If they are to get 1 cup a day, I will not give them more than the one cup but... Most of my dogs, including the two I have now have food in their bowl all day long and have since they were young. In my opinion, it keeps the dogs from getting over excited over food. I believe that can cause fat dogs. My dogs eat when they are hungry. They also have a dog door so I am not worried about when they have to go to the bathroom. My dogs have often tended to eat in the evening on their own. This has worked for me and the dogs I have had. I also will not feed food you can get in the grocery store. I buy them good food. It really makes a difference with their health. Purina has caused many stomach troubles from what I have seen. I have run a pet shop, volunteered in a sanctuary and worked with dogs and dog people and vets.

The most amazing change I saw was when the sanctuary went to feeding just Science Diet and the stomach troubles with their cats and dogs disappeared.

Easy180
06-14-2007, 09:12 PM
I have a LhasaPoo and a Pure Poodle and have owned many dogs. These dogs and many that I have had are free fed. I keep food in the bowl all day but they never are given more than a certain amount. In other words, If they are to get 1 cup a day, I will not give them more than the one cup but... Most of my dogs, including the two I have now have food in their bowl all day long and have since they were young. In my opinion, it keeps the dogs from getting over excited over food. I believe that can cause fat dogs. My dogs eat when they are hungry. They also have a dog door so I am not worried about when they have to go to the bathroom. My dogs have often tended to eat in the evening on their own. This has worked for me and the dogs I have had. I also will not feed food you can get in the grocery store. I buy them good food. It really makes a difference with their health. Purina has caused many stomach troubles from what I have seen. I have run a pet shop, volunteered in a sanctuary and worked with dogs and dog people and vets.

The most amazing change I saw was when the sanctuary went to feeding just Science Diet and the stomach troubles with their cats and dogs disappeared.

Sound like my twin...We have always just left out a fixed amount 24 hours a day and no weight issues on my two min pins...Also have a dog door they use whenever they need to do their bidness and to occasionally bark at the neighbors

And even though I'm boring everyone to tears by now we have also used Science Diet from day one....These two dogs have been voted Moore dogs of the year for three years running now....Have computer printed certificates to prove it

PUGalicious
06-15-2007, 04:58 AM
I have a LhasaPoo and a Pure Poodle and have owned many dogs. These dogs and many that I have had are free fed. I keep food in the bowl all day but they never are given more than a certain amount. In other words, If they are to get 1 cup a day, I will not give them more than the one cup but... Most of my dogs, including the two I have now have food in their bowl all day long and have since they were young. In my opinion, it keeps the dogs from getting over excited over food. I believe that can cause fat dogs.
I think a lot depends on the breed of the dog as well. We have a Lhasa and two pugs. The Lhasa basically had the same eating habits as you describe above before we got our pugs. When we got our first pug, we did a lot of reading and consulting with vets to try to avoid the stereotypical fat pug. What we learned was that we had to tightly control their eating habits because they typically don't have an "off" button when it comes to hunger (or desire to eat). If we just left food out, our Lhasa would never have the chance to eat.

We've found that a set feeding routine works best for our dogs, even our finicky Lhasa. We feed them 1/3 to 1/2 a cup at the same time every morning and a similar amount at the same time every evening. They know when to expect it and they let us know when it's time as well. And their stomachs seem to be very punctual — eerily accurate. Our Lhasa who was picky and stubborn before quickly learned that it was "eat now or miss this meal." Some mornings he decides he doesn't want to eat and we pick it up (so the pugs won't get to it) and he gets his next meal that evening. That routine has worked wonders with some behavioral issues. And it's also proven to be an effective tool for training as well.

BTW, controlled eating does not "cause fat dogs." Too much food leads to dogs becoming fat.

oldglory
06-15-2007, 09:22 AM
When I said "if a dog always has food in around they will become fat and unhealthy down the road" I should have said when they have unlimited food....sry my bad.

Misty
06-15-2007, 12:46 PM
I had a yellow lab once. I kept her bowl full all the time, she just ate what she wanted, when she wanted and was very lean. I do the same with my cat. I hate feeding schedules, they restrict your time too much.