View Full Version : Guthrie tours?

Midtowner
06-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Is there anyone in Guthrie who offers tours of the city? I'd be interested in touring the old capitol building, the Masonic Temple, the tunnels, etc. if possible.

Anyone know anything?

Wbrook
06-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Not sure, but I grew up in Guthrie and would enjoy that tour.

Marko
06-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Here is the url for the trolley:index (http://www.firstcapitaltrolley.com/index.html)

Marko
06-13-2007, 06:45 AM
Might want to look in here also: Shop Guthrie! (http://www.shopguthrie.com/)

Tim
06-13-2007, 09:11 AM
I think Kent Denham at Guthrie Bicycles offers rental bikes and tour maps. Super nice guy!

ChappellTime
06-13-2007, 09:49 PM
The masons will deny the tunnels exists. Good luck finding them.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-14-2007, 03:03 AM
There are tunnels in Guthrie?

cruzer
06-14-2007, 06:18 AM
There are tunnels in Guthrie. In other cities they are called storm sewers.

jman253
06-14-2007, 02:10 PM
When they re-did the football stadium you could see the tunnel that ran north under the road. It was bricked up though. I have been told a lot of them have been either bricked up or concreted in due to instability. I think it would be neat to tour them.

Misty
06-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Tunnels for what? Secret Mason stuff? What is the deal with the Masons anyway?

Midtowner
06-14-2007, 02:28 PM
No, the tunnels were built in the pre-statehood era. Rumor has it, they were used for many things -- like getting the politicians from the capitol to the brothel unseen :)

A UCO prof wrote a book about them a short while back.

Marko
06-14-2007, 05:51 PM
There are tunnels in Guthrie. In other cities they are called storm sewers.

Give that man a cigar! He speaketh the truth...ain't no tunnels!

cruzer
06-14-2007, 08:30 PM
When they re-did the football stadium you could see the tunnel that ran north under the road. It was bricked up though. I have been told a lot of them have been either bricked up or concreted in due to instability. I think it would be neat to tour them.

Jman, that bricked-up area under the road was formerly the visiting team's dressing room. Both teams had dressing rooms there, one on each side, until the mid-sixties when a new dressing room was constructed at the south end of the field. The visiting team still had to use the room under the street until the school system could afford to build another dressing room at the south end. The old rooms were then bricked closed because of safety issues. As I mentioned previously, the only tunnels in Guthrie are the storm sewers and figments of an active imagination.

cdkyle
06-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Midtowner,

You can call the Guthrie Chamber of Commerce. I think there is a lady, Janine Handler, who is giving tours.

jman253
06-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Well Marko if I hadnt walked this and seen it with my own eyes I wouldnt believe it either. I do not know the extent of the tunnels though.I do know one of the shops around the blue belle has a basement that there is a door facing south out of the basement but if the door is opened it goes nowhere because it was bricked up. An elder gentleman told me that it was because in the 60's the kids would get into the tunnels and break bottles and drink and smoke etc.... and parts of the ceiling started caving so the city came in and made everyone brick the access areas up due to stability issues. Sounds logical and if you read up on some of the history of the brothels etc,,,, they refer to underground walkways to get to the brothels and to the saloons.

jman253
06-14-2007, 10:28 PM
its ashame that they are mostly bricked up though.

Okiekatt
06-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Since we love to talk about rumors, here's one for you. I heard the tunnels were used by gangters in the 20's to 40's and that we had a bad problem with the mafia back then. I read it in some book, I'll see if I can't dig it up.

Marko
06-15-2007, 11:05 AM
An elder gentleman told me that it was because in the 60's the kids would get into the tunnels and break bottles and drink and smoke etc....

Well it wasn't the sixties but I was one of those kids in the seventies! LOL! and I can guarantee you there is nothing to it. Cruzer was one of those kids in the sixties and like he said...

Also in the mid eighties, I and several others created a SOT in order to investigate the alleged tunnels under the Temple, here again, NOTHING.

The only tunnels under Guthrie are STORM DRAINS!

Well, except for the underground city the Chinese built back in the twenties...LOL!

MadMonk
06-15-2007, 01:30 PM
The first rule of the Guthrie tunnels is that you don't talk about the Guthrie tunnels.
:)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-15-2007, 05:27 PM
The first rule of the Guthrie tunnels is that you don't talk about the Guthrie tunnels.
:)

Funny, that's what the second rule is.

If this is your first night in the Guthrie Tunnels, you have to get walled in, Cask of Amontillado style.

Martin
06-16-2007, 12:22 AM
wow... poe reference, ftw. somebody paid attention in lit class. -M

GrandMaMa
06-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Is there anyone in Guthrie who offers tours of the city? I'd be interested in touring the old capitol building, the Masonic Temple, the tunnels, etc. if possible.

Anyone know anything?Absolutely! One of my good friends has a carriage service there and here is the url to their website: Love is Carriages (http://www.loveiscarriages.com) They are super people and very intertaining as well...(he used to work as a stunt driver in movies, I understand and can share some colorful stories with you...and I don't think that there is anyone that lives anywhere around there that knows as much about the local History than he does...you won't regret taking a tour with them, and tell them Bobbi said hi.