View Full Version : 3rd men's clothing store to open downtown

Pete
06-12-2007, 06:58 AM
English-style men’s clothing shop opens in downtown OKC

by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record
6/12/2007

Journal Record Photo
OKLAHOMA CITY – Downtown Oklahoma City may have its own unofficial men’s clothing district soon with two stores already situated across Park Avenue from each other and a third store set to open soon around the corner in the First National Center.

In recent weeks, Claybourne’s Haberdashery joined the fray and opened in a space on the ground floor of the newly renovated Park Harvey Building.

Robert Claiborne, owner of Claybourne’s, explained the spelling of his store’s name as well as described the store’s concept and how he hopes it will fit into the downtown retail picture.

Claiborne comes from a long line of family members in the clothing business beginning with a relative whose father was in the clothing business. The relative’s last name was Claybourne, but he changed his name to Claiborne upon arriving in America from England in 1621. He said the spelling of the store’s name is a nod to his family members who worked in the clothing business in England.

The walls in the Oklahoma City store are bathed in a dark red and adorned with fox-hunting pictures while the floor sports a Scottish Tartan print carpet.

“I wanted the shop to look like something you’d see in England,” Claiborne said. “The whole clothing business is going back to more of a British-type look, so I thought it was very timely to do the store a lot like we had 30 years ago.”

And Claiborne knows something about how the clothing business operated 30, and even 40 years ago. His first foray into the business was a 65-page book on men’s shirts he prepared in his native Tennessee while completing a high school Distributive Education Clubs of America marketing project in the mid-1960s.

His book on men’s shirts won not only the Tennessee competition but also first place nationally. The win cemented his desire to work in the clothing business and continue a tradition of dressing well that went back to his childhood.

“This book really opened a lot of doors in the clothing business for me,” he said. “I grew up with a tradition of dressing well and being taught how to dress.”

Over the past 40 years Claiborne worked in men’s clothing for different stores and companies until landing in Oklahoma a little over three years ago. Looking to set up a store in downtown Oklahoma City, Claiborne said he could not find a suitable spot.

Instead, he opened Tailgate Clothing in Norman, which offered a mix of upscale clothing and University of Oklahoma casual wear.

When he found the space at the Park Harvey, Claiborne saw his chance to open a store downtown and closed his Norman shop.

“I really believe in downtowns,” he said. “And downtown Oklahoma City is just really happening now.”

But Claiborne is not alone. His shop is literally in the shadow of the Teena Hicks Co. in Oklahoma Tower, a downtown men’s clothing fixture for nearly two decades. Plans are also in the works to open a second location of Oklahoma City-based men’s store Pinpoint Resource in the First National Center just around the corner from Claiborne’s shop.

Rather than worry about competition, Claiborne said he thinks the close proximity will ultimately benefit all of the stores.

“It’s good,” he said. “Competition’s healthy. It just brings more people downtown.”

PUGalicious
06-12-2007, 07:15 AM
That's really cool! I'm gonna have to check that out!

metro
06-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Glad to hear more clothing retail to come downtown. The sad thing is we heard/read about the Pinpoint Resource's new location a year or two ago and forgot about it. Glad to see it finally coming to fruition.

OKC PATROL
06-12-2007, 08:29 AM
It is always a good sign when retail hits downtown. Im quite sure he wanted to open at Penn Square, but Mr. Ooley's is a 40 year old local store and considered one of the best in the nation for mens apparel. He would have lost that fight.

Pete
06-12-2007, 08:51 AM
When I worked downtown in the mid-80's, there was a large Harold's and Orbach's in the FNC arcade and both were quite busy.

Glad to see this nice turn-around.

jbrown84
06-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Malibu, back then, was there a Harold's downtown, and in 50 Penn?

Doug Loudenback
06-12-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm not sure of this without checking it out, but it may be that "Harold's" was once part of the long-defunct Rothschilds downtown. But, maybe not. I do vaguely recall a downtown Harold's, though, somewhere else downtown ... maybe in the Oklahoma Tower.

ksearls
06-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Nope, there was a Harold's Downtown and at 50 Penn Place at the same time.

Doug Loudenback
06-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Yes, and now that my brain cells have settled a bit, I think that the downtown Harolds was in 1st National Center. Correct?

ksearls
06-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Yep!

y_h
06-12-2007, 01:00 PM
. Im quite sure he wanted to open at Penn Square

Don't be so sure. It sounds to me like Claybourne's intends to cater to the business-dress set and as such a downtown area makes perfect sense. This type of a niche retailer is better served by being convenient for its target market and not the public in general. By locating in the heart of OKC's central business district, the shop is easily accessible during the business day which Penn Square clearly isn't. A downtown location also cuts down on the number of casual browsers who have no intent to make purchases but dilute the time that staff can devote to the serious customers nonetheless. A downtown location likely isn't going to be open on weekends (or at least Sundays) and needn't remain open every evening - this obviously cuts down on utlity costs and payroll and also helps attract quality staff. Unless you're a Chik-Fil-A or Franklin Covey franchise, you probably don't have the clout to negotiate that kind of deal with a mall landlord. And speaking of landlords, I'm sure Claybourne's rent is a heck of a lot cheaper than it would be at Penn Square Mall.

In any event, this sounds like a really cool store. It's always been an aspiration of mine to be able to run a haberdashery once I'm in a financial position to do so. At this point it's looking like a very, very distant dream but I haven't given up on it quite yet!

I wish this shop the best of luck. I hope it's the beginning of a substantial retail renaissance in Downtown OKC.

betts
06-12-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm hoping they carry Barbour jackets and accessories. It's great and attractive gear for our winter weather.

Pete
06-12-2007, 05:49 PM
The Harold's downtown was in the FNC arcade (as I mentioned) towards the eastern end. It had an entrance from the arcade and also on Park Avenue. Was there for at least a decade.

The Orbach's was further to the west, also in the arcade along with BC Clark and a Hallmark store. There were a couple of other little shops there as well... Definitely the retail center of downtown at that time.

jbrown84
06-13-2007, 07:52 AM
There is still a Hallmark in FNC.

OKC PATROL
06-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Don't be so sure. It sounds to me like Claybourne's intends to cater to the business-dress set and as such a downtown area makes perfect sense. This type of a niche retailer is better served by being convenient for its target market and not the public in general. By locating in the heart of OKC's central business district, the shop is easily accessible during the business day which Penn Square clearly isn't. A downtown location also cuts down on the number of casual browsers who have no intent to make purchases but dilute the time that staff can devote to the serious customers nonetheless. A downtown location likely isn't going to be open on weekends (or at least Sundays) and needn't remain open every evening - this obviously cuts down on utlity costs and payroll and also helps attract quality staff. Unless you're a Chik-Fil-A or Franklin Covey franchise, you probably don't have the clout to negotiate that kind of deal with a mall landlord. And speaking of landlords, I'm sure Claybourne's rent is a heck of a lot cheaper than it would be at Penn Square Mall.

In any event, this sounds like a really cool store. It's always been an aspiration of mine to be able to run a haberdashery once I'm in a financial position to do so. At this point it's looking like a very, very distant dream but I haven't given up on it quite yet!

I wish this shop the best of luck. I hope it's the beginning of a substantial retail renaissance in Downtown OKC.

The store will be great, for Downtown. But for mens clothing it really cant begin to compare to Mr.Ooleys for top designers and service. Mr. Ooleys caters to the extremely wealthy NHills crowd, so they dont have to go to Dallas for the best of designers and finest selection. You can get a custom fit Armani tux, on the spot, tailored that day because of the full time staff that does everything(very few shops in the region can do this). I dont know many who just go into Mr.Ooleys to browse around, because it is a bit intimidating and many feel they need to buy something just to be fashionable. But they see the prices and their wallet and the majority decide to never browse again unless they plan on spending thousands. It has turned into window shopping for almost everyone. These big guns in NHills simply run in and grab a 5000 dollar suit, get a bite to eat at bellinis then jump on a private plane for business(the store has a drive-thru where these people toss their porshe on the front lawn so they dont have to deal with the mall). If it wasnt in Penn Square then it would be in NH plaza. OKC should be proud of having the oldest and best stores in Oklahoma - BC Cark and Mr. Ooleys. I think many do not realize the significance of these stores. But, bottom line I am a Mid towner and love the fact we are getting more retail Downtown and cant wait for more high quality shops like Claybournes.

HOT ROD
06-13-2007, 05:23 PM
^ maybe he'll open a boutique downtown now that there's men's specialty retail coming in there. It doesn't have to take away from Penn Sq but instead would add to the retail landscape of OKC.

If the retailer is that good, then I think a smaller downtown boutique would be "suit"able.

metro
08-29-2007, 08:42 AM
http://static.newsok.biz/article/3113005/biz-a29madeinok_08-29-2007_5A4F2CK.jpg

Robert Claiborne, owner of Claybourne's Haberdashery, is shown Monday in his store in the Park Harvey Building in downtown Oklahoma City. The store specializes in upscale American, British and Italian men's clothing. By CHRIS LANDSBERGER, THE OKLAHOMAN

Made in Oklahoma: Claybourne's HaberdasheryRelated Information

Robert Claiborne, owner of Claybourne's Haberdashery, is shown Monday in his store in the Park Harvey Building in downtown Oklahoma City. The store specializes in upscale American, British and Italian men's clothing. By CHRIS LANDSBERGER, THE OKLAHOMAN

Made in Oklahoma: Claybourne's Haberdashery

By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman
•Address: 213 Park Ave.
•Web address: www.claybourneshab.com.
•Employees: Two.
•Key personnel: Robert and Ana Ruth Claiborne, owners.
•Founded: June 2007.
•Product: Fine men's American, British and Italian suits.

Three months after opening for business in downtown Oklahoma City's Park Harvey Building, Robert Claiborne doesn't mind answering the one question that's on many customers' minds: what is a haberdashery?

"Quite a few think it's a store that just”sells hats," said Claiborne, who runs Claybourne's Haberdashery with wife Ana Ruth. "But that's a hattery.

"Older people do know what a haberdashery is. Originally, a haberdashery was a store often foun— in hotels - a smaller shop that carried fine furnishings and sportswear that we refer to as clothing. They carried really fine handmade silk robes, pajamas, cotton shirts, handmade neck ties, suspenders, belts and cuff links. They might have also sold a navy blazer and pants, but that”s about it."

It's that tradition of quality that Claiborne says he is trying to capture with his store. To emphasize the old-school nature of the store, the walls are a deep red, adorned with pictures of fox hunts and movie stars such as Cary Grant and Humphrey Bogart.

"I wanted to give it that old k—nd of feel - the feel we saw 3” years ago," Claiborne said. "The‘ lost that 's”oppy' feel."

A separate suit room is at the front of the store, and Claiborne has hooked up with some of the city's finest tailors, including Hans Herman and Alex Hilton.

Once the explanation of haberdashery is complete, one more question often follows: Why is the spelling of the store different from its owner?

Robert Claiborne said Liz Claiborne was a distant relative, and he didn't want to get his store confused with the brand that bares the same name and spelling. So he reached back in history to when his ancestors spelled the family name as Claybourne

metro
05-12-2008, 06:49 PM
FYI folks, Claybournes in the Park Harvey is having a 70%+ off sale just to keep the doors open. They are calling it their "fight for survival" sale. It has been going on for a few weeks now, but they need all the support they can get just to keep the doors open. This is a good chance to get fine tailored and english apparel at dirt cheap prices. I plan on going this weekend if they're still open.

The Old Downtown Guy
05-12-2008, 09:24 PM
I picked up a Mckinzie Tribe sport jacket there a couple of months ago and the store looked pretty bleak. Not much in the way of spring merchandise . . . definitely looks bad for this guy. One of his problems is that he is still paying rent on the store he had in Norman that he closed to open this one. Most of his stuff is pretty tweedy and a little heavy for OKC IMO. Teena Hicks is still my favorite men's store, downtown and otherwise, but I hope Mr. Claybourn can make it over the hump.

Midtowner
05-12-2008, 09:49 PM
He actually does have some really good stuff, but Summer does seem a bit bleak... Not a good time for wool in OKC. I'll have to check it out again.

mecarr
05-12-2008, 10:10 PM
FYI folks, Claybournes in the Park Harvey is having a 70%+ off sale just to keep the doors open. They are calling it their "fight for survival" sale. It has been going on for a few weeks now, but they need all the support they can get just to keep the doors open. This is a good chance to get fine tailored and english apparel at dirt cheap prices. I plan on going this weekend if they're still open.

They're about to go under? This can't be a good sign for clothing stores downtown.

The Old Downtown Guy
05-13-2008, 06:14 AM
They're about to go under? This can't be a good sign for clothing stores downtown.

I think it's more about his store in particular than clothing stores in general.

metro
05-13-2008, 07:31 AM
mecarr, exactly as ODG said, it's more his store than clothing stores in general. Lit, Firefly and Teena Hicks have been doing good for years now. I'm not sure if Pinpoint Resource ever opened up in First National yet or not. As others said, it's nice stuff, mainly out of season and pricey, top that off with high rent on two properties with only one store, and he opened in Park Harvey before many if any were living there, it was tough from the get go. I don't think this is doom for clothing retail downtown, just bad planning.

jbrown84
05-19-2008, 07:29 PM
I feel bad for him, but hopefully this will allow a more appropriate tenant to move in, such as a Jamba Juice or something along those lines.

metro
05-20-2008, 07:55 AM
jbrown, or even the Chic-Fil-A Tanenbaum kicked out in the first place. That would have been more appropriate and there was no need to kick them out. I talked to the former owner of that old Chic-Fil-A. From what I heard it was a pretty shady deal.

jbrown84
05-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Yeah I guarantee you Chick-fil-a could have reopened after the remodel and be in really good shape right now.

metro
05-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Anyone know if this place is still open? I'd like to swing by and get a good deal if they are before they close. Hopefully they won't have to but every indication I've got is that they will have to.

jbrown84
05-27-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm pretty sure they are still open.

mecarr
12-12-2008, 06:21 PM
They have shut their doors for good. Not particuarly surprised given the bad economic times.
Another One Bites the Dust (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/2008/12/12/another-one-bites-the-dust/)

betts
12-12-2008, 11:09 PM
I think for retail to be reasonably sure of success, unless it's a coveted brand we don't have anywhere else in town or the kind of merchandise that appeals to visitors, we need retail in volumes. People don't want to drive downtown to go to just one store, and not that many people shop over their lunch hour. Retail will be far more likely to succeed when we have people living downtown and it's an interesting destination for people who don't live downtown. Speaking of which, I was driving down Sheridan the other day, which I almost never do, and saw, just west of downtown a block long strip of old stores on both sides of the street I'd never noticed before. That's the kind of area that, in a place like Chicago, would be developed, with retail, restaurants and clubs.

Midtowner
12-13-2008, 12:01 AM
The trouble here, I think wasn't that retail 'can't survive' downtown. It's that some stores are doomed concepts. Here, we had a specialty store which specialized in British-style business and casual wear. It seemed like an okay concept, but the fact is that just about everyone in the men's clothing industry already carries a decent assortment of things made from Harris Tweed, etc.

Tina Hicks Company has a much worse location, IMHO, and they do just fine. I also love the stuff they carry (when I can afford it).

jbrown84
12-13-2008, 06:52 PM
I agree with both of you. It seemed like too niche a concept from the beginning, but getting the retail in volumes is really what we need.

I think a developer should try to lure several national retailers at the same time out of Crossroads to A-Alley or somewhere like that.

American Eagle
PacSun
Victoria's Secret
Bath & Body Works
Hot Topic
Foot Locker
Christopher & Banks

They'd be more likely to come downtown in larger numbers, and the volume would help lure other retailers such as Urban Outfitters.

Midtowner
12-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Actually no... I'd hope that doesn't happen. There are enough of those damned places. If it can be found in every mall in the U.S., we don't need it in AA. AA is turning out to be a pretty awesome area. I drove down Broadway to my office this evening, and I think I counted at least three art shows going on. Leave AA to its own devices and keep cookie cutter chain retail the hell out of it.

mecarr
12-14-2008, 07:51 AM
I think a developer should try to lure several national retailers at the same time out of Crossroads to A-Alley or somewhere like that.

American Eagle
PacSun
Victoria's Secret
Bath & Body Works
Hot Topic
Foot Locker
Christopher & Banks

They'd be more likely to come downtown in larger numbers, and the volume would help lure other retailers such as Urban Outfitters.

Ugh. I hope not. I'd rather get some shops that have a bit more independence to them and not like every other store you find in a suburban strip mall.

jbrown84
12-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Yeah, me too.

But the indie, local shops will not thrive without some "names" to draw crowds. That's all I'm saying.

Midtowner
12-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Yeah, me too.

But the indie, local shops will not thrive without some "names" to draw crowds. That's all I'm saying.

They're thriving.

jbrown84
12-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Envy, Firefly, Lit, Painted Door, CD Warehouse, etc...

I'm not sure I would call any of them thriving. National, upscale chains (not Payless or Ace Pawn Shop) mixed in there would help keep these places in business. Most urban retail areas have some chains mixed in. It's very unreasonable to think that we can have significant downtown retail without some of it being chains to draw the foot traffic.

betts
12-15-2008, 12:10 AM
I did buy some Christmas gifts for my kids at Envy and Lit, in an attempt to help out the downtown merchants. Envy is a little too Ed Hardy for them, and hopefully that look will be modulated a little bit, since my kids and all their friends like clothes a little less decorated. But, they carry Lamb, and some other brands that got positive remarks from them. The owner told us she's thinking of opening a shoe store next door, which would be great.

metro
12-15-2008, 09:27 AM
I think for retail to be reasonably sure of success, unless it's a coveted brand we don't have anywhere else in town or the kind of merchandise that appeals to visitors, we need retail in volumes. People don't want to drive downtown to go to just one store, and not that many people shop over their lunch hour. Retail will be far more likely to succeed when we have people living downtown and it's an interesting destination for people who don't live downtown. Speaking of which, I was driving down Sheridan the other day, which I almost never do, and saw, just west of downtown a block long strip of old stores on both sides of the street I'd never noticed before. That's the kind of area that, in a place like Chicago, would be developed, with retail, restaurants and clubs.

AKA Film Row which currently has a few people that have moved down there and several plans under works for several years now including a streetscape project. See the Film Row thread for more details.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/13878-film-row-update.html

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/8481-film-exchange-district-starts-come-alive.html

metro
12-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Yeah, me too.

Agreed, we are not a NYC, Philly or Atlanta, we will need some of these larger generic brands to keep the indies afloat. I wish that weren't so, but unfortunately it will be the only thing to kick off downtown retail. Now 20-30 years from now we might be able to support all indie stores downtown, but it's not realistic to happen currently.

Urbanized
12-15-2008, 09:31 AM
As an owner of a downtown retail location (Oklahoma's Red Dirt Emporium (http://www.reddirtemporium.com)), I agree with the comments regarding a true need for SOME national retailers, while also agreeing with the comments regarding a need to stay heavily local in flavor.

The national retailers should be unusual or highly desirable in nature, to increase traffic from visitors and locals. This is much like a desirable downtown restaurant mix. A Chili's, for instance, would probably be a bad fit at this point, since the city has a wealth of them elsewhere/everywhere. But something like an ESPN Zone or Dave and Buster's would probably be a great fit, complementing the local choices.

The same holds true for retail. Urban Outfitters, Crate & Barrel, West Elm, Restoration Hardware or the like would probably be great, and unique within the metro, whereas Foot Locker, Bath & Body Works, etc., wouldn't offer any distinct shopping experiences to lure locals away from the mall.

Those retailers I mentioned as good fits would probably be best situated in a development similar to what was proposed for the Steel Yard (mixed-use, large floor plate available, cohesive development, contiguous parking), whereas an area like the canal probably works best for smaller, independent retailers like ours. The more the merrier, however. There needs to be a density of retail before anyone can truly thrive. Back when I was a Main Street manager (Automobile Alley), the training we received from the National Main Street Center preached that you need a minimum of six densly-located retail options before users will consider you a "retail destination."

It's a bit of a chicken-or-the-egg discussion, of course. That's why we decided to jump into our own retail project with both feet despite having no guarantee of success, in an effort to get the ball rolling in Bricktown, and specifically on the canal.

I think the soon-to-be-released Bricktown land use study will define these issues much better than they ever have been, and will create a new set of guidelines and recommendations for property owners to use as the develop their real estate, at least where Bricktown is concerned.

Urbanized
12-15-2008, 09:49 AM
And, for the record, I think concept, product mix and management have much more to do with whether a downtown retailer survives or not than do parking or rent. Simply put, there are a number of operators (both retail and restaurant) I have seen downtown over the years who have completely missed the market on product, failed to account for seasonality (which is actually opposite of traditional retail), and failed to adjust staffing during busy and slow times.

It is especially challenging to do this in downtown and Bricktown, and people who think just because they ran a business successfully in the 'burbs that Bricktown is a lead-pipe cinch are in for a nasty surprise. In my opinion, while the rewards are potentially great, you actually have to be far more business savvy to survive downtown than elsewhere. Unfortunately, the perceived success (most people only see Bricktown during really busy times) brings a lot of amateurs with get-rich-quick dreams into the mix.

There are certainly examples of retailers who have survived and even thrived despite the slow times, paid parking, and everything associated with doing business downtown. Exhibit A: B.C. Clark Jewelers.

OKCMallen
12-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Actually no... I'd hope that doesn't happen. There are enough of those damned places. If it can be found in every mall in the U.S., we don't need it in AA. AA is turning out to be a pretty awesome area. I drove down Broadway to my office this evening, and I think I counted at least three art shows going on. Leave AA to its own devices and keep cookie cutter chain retail the hell out of it.

Even the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City has a Gap. I think, in moderation, some well-known, commonplace anchor tenants would not hurt.

roontburger2006
12-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Didn't read all the posts but...

I'm glad there are new clothing stores opening downtown, you're right, that's a really good sign!

I also just emailed the store H&M a few days ago about opening a location in the metro area, and here's how it was said..

what I emailed:

"Hey guys...love your store and your clothes. I have been to the
location at the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota as well as the
new location in Washington state. I love your store, but never get a
chance to go! The closest location is in Kansas City (6 hours away!).
I live near Oklahoma City. I think choosing to put an H&M in Oklahoma
City would be great. New businesses are actually doing well there in
spite of the economic crisis. Forbes Magazine rated Oklahoma City as
"the number one recession proof city" in the nation. Even more
recently, there has been a demand for these kinds of clothes in
Oklahoma. I think opening near Bricktown (a highly tourist, brick
themed area with many event locations near downtown) or even in Norman
(south of Oklahoma City, and is the home of the University of Oklahoma,
the largest university in the state). People in Oklahoma are becoming
much more fashion conscious, and I think your high fashion looks with
great prices would do WELL here. Anyway..just thought I would mention
it. I wish there was at LEAST a store in Dallas, so I would be 3 hours
closer..Thanks for reading.

-Brandon"

(I realize now the store wasn't in Kansas City but somewhere else in Missouri, oops)

"Here's what they replied:

Hello Brandon, and thank you for your e-mail.

We appreciate your interest in H&M.
Since our launch in the U.S. 9 years ago, we have been focused on a
rapid expansion and
are currently looking for the perfect location in your area. Our
Expansion Dept. and Real Estate Team are aggressively searching for new
locations in your state and others throughout the US. Hopefully we will
have some news regarding a new H&M near you. Please check our
informational websites periodically for new locations, as they will be
published there first: H&M (http://www.hm.com) and H&M Friends and Family - Need More Fashion? (http://www.hmfriendsandfamily.com).

Again, thank you for your interest in H&M.

Sincerely,
H&M Customer Service"

I thought this was really cool. I think it really helps somewhat to email companies and share how much we'd like their stores to come. I also heard Urban Outfitters was coming to Penn Square, but with all this hype about clothing going downtown, I'd love to see one there as well. I honestly think the metro could handle two, or even 3 or 4...but that'll take awhile. haha

Midtowner
12-15-2008, 12:03 PM
They replied to you with a cut/paste form letter.

jbrown84
12-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Well it's still better than, "the demographics in your area do not fit our model. thank you for your interest."

There is no store I want more than H&M, and many of my friends would agree. Dallas is sure to have one very soon, and hopefully we are on their radar.

The same holds true for retail. Urban Outfitters, Crate & Barrel, West Elm, Restoration Hardware or the like would probably be great, and unique within the metro, whereas Foot Locker, Bath & Body Works, etc., wouldn't offer any distinct shopping experiences to lure locals away from the mall.

I completely agree with you. The only reason I mentioned those stores is because they are all in Crossroads currently and likely looking for somewhere to move. They aren't going to go for just any strip mall, so why not try to lure them somewhere downtown to urban storefronts? It's a start at least. I do think the prime real estate in A-Alley should be reserved for more exclusive stores and local establishments.

mecarr
12-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Does anyone really think we'll get a store like this in the near future? Retail stores around the country are closing their doors. I was at the mall this weekend doing some xmas shopping. At each store I shopped I made a point to ask the retailer how business was doing. Most of the stores were clothing stores. All said that business wasn't good for their store or many others, and many stated that their company was closing many stores around the country.

metro
12-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Well it's still better than, "the demographics in your area do not fit our model. thank you for your interest."

There is no store I want more than H&M, and many of my friends would agree. Dallas is sure to have one very soon, and hopefully we are on their radar.

I completely agree with you. The only reason I mentioned those stores is because they are all in Crossroads currently and likely looking for somewhere to move. They aren't going to go for just any strip mall, so why not try to lure them somewhere downtown to urban storefronts? It's a start at least. I do think the prime real estate in A-Alley should be reserved for more exclusive stores and local establishments.

This is something I can totally agree with you on. I may prefer local shops, but it's something like this that's going to have to get downtown retail off the ground to survive long-term.