View Full Version : Job change suggestions?

Dark Jedi
06-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Here is the dilemma.

I am burned out, done with computers professionally.

The downside: I don't want to impact the family's quality of life. In order to do this, I need to switch to a job that makes mid $60k or better.

I am versatile, handy, mechanically inclined, have electronic training (way back though!) and oodles of experience in computers and networking. I would really like to work outdoors!

What do you suggest as alternatives?

Midtowner
06-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Installation and maintenance of mechanical systems of some nature?

Misty
06-11-2007, 03:14 PM
What is your dream? If you took money out of the equation what would you want to do?

Karried
06-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Have you thought about starting your own company? Things change when you're the boss. You might be burn out working for someone else.

If you are self employed, you are working hard for yourself and to secure your future.. not your boss.

Downside? Lots of hard work, no health insurance... lots of stress.

Dark Jedi
06-11-2007, 06:57 PM
What is your dream? If you took money out of the equation what would you want to do?

Run a workshop for inventing and tinkering that opens up to a ski slope.

Karried
06-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Relocate to Denver?

Misty
06-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Bearfire Resort (http://www.bearfireresorts.com/)

Here you go! I've solved your problem. Your welcome.

Dark Jedi
06-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Bearfire Resort (http://www.bearfireresorts.com/)

Here you go! I've solved your problem. Your welcome.

Well, it will be hard to work for a concept and receive a paycheck. I can't find any evidence the place really exists on that site. All investor recruiting stuff.

Sounds intriguing, but not a reality for quite some time if it does happen.

Dark Jedi
06-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Relocate to Denver?

Ironically, I was in Denver when the technology market crashed there. Had to go in to Energy to stay afloat. Market in Denver (Boulder is better for a skier...) is still depressed for a techie.

Karried
06-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Do you still want to stay in IT? Is that what has you burned out or is it the company you work for?

Outdoors? That's probably tough to do in your field.

Satellite/Cable ?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-13-2007, 04:22 AM
Take your computer skills to the oil industry. They're BOOMING right now, and they pay very well.

Dark Jedi
06-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Take your computer skills to the oil industry. They're BOOMING right now, and they pay very well.

Already did, that's how I got here. But it has me jockeying a desk. I am burned out on indoor work, and want to be out again.
I spent a few months hooking rigs in to the networks via satellite uplinks. That was fun, outdoors, and interesting. But I ran out of rigs, and now the rig hands know how to hook in and work so I don't need to go out anymore.
I taught them how to do it, and put myself back behind the desk again.

My dream job, I suppose, would be connecting remote sites in to the WAN for a company, entity, or agency. I enjoyed that for an oil company, for the National Resource Conservation Service (parent of the US Forestry Service), and for the Marines. Problem is, it is always contract work, and you work yourself out of a job...

Lurker34
06-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Male Prostitute?

Easy180
06-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Male Prostitute?

Won't work lurker....He is trying to get away from working indoors :tiphat:

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Won't work lurker....He is trying to get away from working indoors :tiphat:

How about pimpin'...It aint easy, but you get to cruise in a swank ride and hang out with some cool cats.

Dark Jedi
06-19-2007, 08:17 AM
How about pimpin'...It aint easy, but you get to cruise in a swank ride and hang out with some cool cats.

Arthritis in my pimp hand prevents that possibility.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-19-2007, 08:46 AM
Muscle is cheap, sub-contract that stuff.

Dark Jedi
06-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Muscle is cheap, sub-contract that stuff.

I hear Wayne Brady is available and experienced.