View Full Version : Air Show/ Blue Angels

Karried
06-09-2007, 06:31 PM
I absolutely could watch the Blue Angels perform for days on end. I love seeing them. It was bittersweet this time because of their recent accident.. yet still wonderful and amazing seeing their precise maneuvers. Just awesome... I've seen them for years at Moffet Field in the Bay Area so it was cool to see them here.

It was so hot though, concrete radiates the heat as well (hot where people were passing out from heat stroke hot) so if anyone plans to go tomorrow... don't even think about going without the following:

*Folding Chairs (lightweight..the Shuttle for some reason wasn't picking up unless you were parked at the furthest North Parking lot.. so we had to walk from the main entrance onto the field which was quite a ways)... we did get the Shuttle coming back though.

*Umbrella (a must have)
*Water Bottles (Drinking refillable)
*Sunscreen
*Empty Water/Spray Bottle
*Earplugs ( if you're sensitive or have small babies ( headphones/earmuffs) Personally, I absolutely love the sound of the jets... Love it! but it is very loud.
*Patience ( the traffic leading into the park is horrendous). If you can find a way to get to Douglas going the back roads, take it.

I walked in with a beach bag w bottled water, sunscreen, fish crackers and a camera... no one checked for ID etc.

We didn't stay for the concert or fireworks because the heat was just too much for the kids and they wanted to leave after 6 hours.. ha,ha.. I could stay all day and night and tomorrow too but I love air shows...

You can buy a wristband for $10 for the kids which I think is well worth it.. it allows them to get into all the bouncy houses.. the rock climbing walls, and the petting zoo, plus a water gun maze and a craft tent where they can play carnival games for prizes... my little one loved that.

No Backpacks
No Coolers

SpectralMourning
06-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Man I wish I could've gone. I love the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels. It's so great driving around Midwest City when the Thunderbirds are practicing or whatever they're doing. Really neat stuff.

Lauri101
06-10-2007, 06:14 AM
That's one advantage I have living 6 blocks from Tinker - we got to watch all of the Blue Angels' practice sessions, plus the real show, right from the yard!

The disadvantage - don't try and take a nap during the show. :bedtime:

ouguy23
06-10-2007, 10:15 AM
I went yesterday and had a blast. The Blue Angels are awesome to watch.

SWOKC 4 me
06-10-2007, 05:03 PM
We went today and I was quite disappointed! I know the weather was bad for a few minutes but before and after the storm we really didn't see much. I was also quite disappointed with the sound system. It could not be heard in most places and when we did get to a place where we could hear the sound was so garbled that I couldn't understand much of what they were saying.

I also spoke to three different people all uniformed AF folks that told me three different stories as to why the Blue Angels were cancelled. One said that there were "unforseen maintenance issues" (odd because I watched them fly away as we walked to our car). Another said it was due to weather in Norman?! (I am not a pilot but again odd since the storm there would have been moving away and I don't believe they fly in THAT big of a radius). The third explination I was given from an AF Captain was that there was bad weather headed to the city that they were headed to after the show here and they were trying to get out of town to beat that storm there (once again seems to be a wierd excuse but what do I know the closest thing I have come to piloting an aircraft was a show at the I-Max theater in San Antonio).

Anyway the lack of performances today along with the lack of communication today that left many people standing around waiting for something that was not going to happen really irked me.

My opinion is bring back Aerospace America as it was I don't mind paying 8 or 10 bucks for a high quality show and free water stations! (Even if it is only a hose hooked up to some PVC pipe!)

Ok I vented, now I am happy :Smiley259

PUGalicious
06-11-2007, 05:05 AM
Here's your answer...

Blue Angels cancelled (http://newsok.com/article/3064839)

By Augie Frost
Staff Writer

The Star Spangled Salute was cut short Sunday because of wind, rain and hail. The finale of the show was to be performed by the U.S. Navy Blue Angels at 3 p.m.

But when the pilots took to the sky, it was to leave Oklahoma for their home base in San Diego, not to perform their airborne acrobatics, Tinker Air Force Base spokesman Ralph Monson said.

Monson said the storm that hit the base brought rain, high winds and pea-sized hail.

Several vending tents were blown over, but damage was limited.

The Blue Angels may have been able to perform if a second storm was not threatening, Monson said.

The National Weather Service reported a 10-by-20 foot awning was blown off a building at the base, but Monson said he was unaware of the damage. The service reported dime- to nickel-sized hail at Interstate 240 and Douglas Road about 2:30 p.m.

Monson said "everyone took the cancellation real well,” noting that bad weather is something Oklahomans know and understand.

In all, event organizers said they were more than pleased with weekend turnout for the two-day event, which was free.

cindyl57
06-11-2007, 08:12 AM
We went on Saturday and with 4 young children...it was so so hot and lots of walking...
But we enjoyed it as long as we could...
We were under the impression that the Blue Angels would fly at 2:30 and we found the bleachers and sat there resting waiting...The babies were tired and hot and we finally gave up and left before they flew...

My regret is that we didn't come prepared...And the next time we will...
Also..leaving really small children at Home...good idea...the heat and noise...well for small children even with the stuff they had for them...it was just too much...

Their attention span is far less than ours and with all the walking...I was proud of them for hanging in as long as they did...

Karried
06-11-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm so sorry for those who went and they were cancelled!

I feel so bad!

SWOKC 4 me
06-11-2007, 08:25 AM
Being from Oklahoma she is right I am used to the weather. Maybe too much. If a few tents were blown over you set them up and go on! I did not see any tents blown over after the storm. Besides it definately did not stop them from selling food, drinks, and merchandise from under the tents after the storm!

Anyway such is life. I would have been less understanding if I had actually paid to get in.

My biggest complaint was not with anything being cancelled but with the lack of communication. After all if I would have known all of the air performances were cancelled I would have not have spent $10 buying water and sitting in the heat after the storm waiting with hundreds of other people. Next time they should just let everyone know!

ultimatesooner
06-11-2007, 12:29 PM
my understanding is that the blue angels need 10 miles of clearance from lightning to perform. After the 1st storm cleared, they started to set up and go but then the 2nd storm popped up and they weren't gonna have enough time to perform

The Red Bull helicopter is freakin awesome though, that was the highlight of the show for me

Karried
06-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Oh that helicopter was unreal wasn't it?

Upside down??? Wow!

I also loved the fighter jets ...