View Full Version : America's Favorite Cities.

okclee
06-09-2007, 10:28 AM
What do we (Okc) need to do , in order to become one of America's favorite Cities??

I would love to see Okc be on this list, anywhere in the top 25 would be fantastic.

CNN.com - Send an I-Report (http://www.cnn.com/exchange/ireports/topics/forms/2007/04/americas.favorite.cities.html)

'America’s Favorite Cities'

What’s your favorite U.S. city? Let us know! Headline News, CNN.com and Travel + Leisure magazine are partnering to find America’s favorite cities and why people love them in the 2007 America’s Favorite cities survey. The survey launches on April 30, and the magazine is asking visitors and locals to rate major destinations in a variety of categories, from people and culture to shopping and dining.

Send us your stories, photos and one-minute video essays about any of the 25 great American cities included in the survey. Then watch "Robin & Company" weekdays from 6-10 a.m. ET on Headline News to see if your I-Report makes the show and to view profiles of the cities through November.

And don’t forget to vote for your favorite city in the survey! Voting begins April 30 and continues through July 15. The final survey results will be presented live on “Robin & Company” in October.

Here is the current list of America's 25 Favorite Cities, according to Travel and Leisure Magazine & CNN.

Atlanta
Austin
Boston
Charleston
Chicago
Dallas/Fort Worth
Denver
Honolulu
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Miami
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Nashville
New Orleans
New York
Orlando
Philadelphia
Phoenix/Scottsdale
Portland, Oregon
San Antonio
San Diego
San Francisco
Santa Fe
Seattle
Washington, D.C.

Nixon7
06-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Need an unique attraction. A reason for people to come here.

BDP
06-09-2007, 12:46 PM
What do we (Okc) need to do , in order to become one of America's favorite Cities??

I did the survey for one city to see what kind of criteria they were using to compare their top 25 (I have no idea how they got the top 25 though) and listed it below. For each city they ask you to rate each attribute on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being the best). I would say that trying to improve in several of these areas would be a start. It certainly is a good list of things that many people consider today when evaluating a city in terms of visiting or relocating.

Unfortunately, there really aren't that many categories that many people would give a 5 (excellent) rating to for Oklahoma City. Maybe it would be an interesting exercise for everybody to rate each one for OKC. Of course, it will be extremely biased, but it would show where we think OKC needs improvement. BTW, 'No Opinion' is also an option.

Food/Dining:
Big-name restaurants
Ethnic food
Cheap eats
Farmers’ markets
Coffee
Pizza
Barbecue

Type of Trip:
Romantic escape
Wild weekend
Family vacation
Girlfriend getaway
Relaxing retreat
Business trip (that’s secretly fun)
Active/adventure vacation
Sophisticated getaway
Sports fan’s vacation

People:
Attractive
Friendly
Stylish
Intelligent
Worldly
Athletic/active
Fun
Diverse

Cityscape:
Notable neighborhoods
Skyline/views
Public parks/spaces
Cleanliness
Access to outdoors
Pedestrian friendliness

Culture:
Classical music
Theater
Museums/galleries
Underground arts scene
Historical sites/monuments
Architecture/notable buildings

Characteristics:
People-watching
Peace and quiet
Weather
Safety
Ease of getting around/public transportation
Affordability
Gay-friendliness
Environmental awareness

After dark:
Cocktail hour
Clubbing
Live music
Singles scene

Shopping:
Luxury boutiques
Home design
Jewelry
Shoes
Antiques
Vintage (clothing and jewelry)
Flea markets

okclee
06-09-2007, 04:00 PM
BDP.....that is a good idea for each of us to give Okc a ranking of 1-5 in each of the categories listed above.

I am going to work on it and try to give Okc an unbiased ranking opinion.

betts
06-09-2007, 04:05 PM
San Antonio has the Alamo and Riverwalk, as well as Sea World and that amusement park. That's it, and easily duplicatable, IMO. I don't know if we could break into the top 25, but I do think that we have the potential to get close. I think we need to capitalize on Bricktown and our Native American and western heritage. When we have the new Native American Heritage Center (not sure if that's the precise name) we need to play that up, along with the Cowboy Hall of Fame. I'd love to see more at the Stockyards as well. Then, with Bricktown and the canal, as well as our expanded downtown due to Core to Shore, I think people will see this as an interesting destination. The Bombing Memorial is a huge draw too, but I kind of hate to think about it in that way. I don't think we're that far off from what we need to be a fun, interesting place to visit.

Oh, and cool downtown shopping. I'd love to see a Nordstrom, Anthropologie and the like downtown. I'd be happy to drive downtown to shop there.

Karried
06-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Let's work together, compile a list of postive features or interesting stories and send them in.

We won't make the list yet, but we will get noticed..... that's part of the problem. No one notices us or even really considers us a destination city yet.

betts
06-10-2007, 06:49 AM
If you go to the link above and fill out a survey regarding your favorite city, you can then submit a city not on the list for further consideration and tell them why. I did that and wrote a few paragraphs about Oklahoma City. That would probably be the best way to do it.

Karried
06-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Yeah, that's what we should all do. Send something in.

Wanna share what you wrote? I'd love to see it.

HOT ROD
06-10-2007, 11:53 AM
That list is typical, all of the "same old, same old cities".

These lists are so stupid!!!

As for downtown shopping, its coming!

jbrown84
06-10-2007, 02:43 PM
What is the big deal with Phoenix???

What do they have, treeless golf courses?

It's ugly and hot and I don't get why anyone would want to live there or visit there.

y_h
06-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Do you really want to become one of "America's Favorite Cities?" I think it's best to become one of America's BEST Cities. There's a huge difference there, and FYI, I think you're well on your way.

In my mind it's better to become a great place to live and work - a LIFETIME destination rather than an overhyped tourist trap or a migration magnet with a constant "natives vs newbies" tension. While I think it's great to develop new and exciting attractions, I would not put the majority of the focus on generating loads and loads of tourist dollars as much as I would building the kinds of attractions that will develop a regular clientele from within.

Karried
06-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Very good point.

allseeingeye
06-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Oklahoma City has a ways to go to ever crack that list. Here are just a few things off the top of my head that OKC needs to even be considered:

1. Light rail transit - OKC is the largest city, in terms a area, in the country and unless you have a vehicle you aren't going anywhere. Visitors should be able to leave there cars at the hotels and take light rail transportation to all the key tourist attractions in OKC. Very expensive project but a must for OKC to be considered

2. We have no five star hotels - Yes, the Skirvin just opened and there are a few nice hotels in downtown but OKC doesn't have the big name five star hotels such as the HYATT or HILTON. Got to have those nice hotels to be a major city.

3. Professional sports - Yes we had the Hornets briefly and, yes, the Sonics may move here but right now OKC is not a professional sports city. Redhawks, Blazers, and Yard Dawgz aren't enough to cut it.

4. Theme Parks - Sorry guys, but I don't see Frontier City as a real theme park. OKC needs a Six Flags, SeaWorld, etc. and a major Aquarium to compliment the zoo.

5. Resort - To my knowlege, there are no major family resorts anywhere near OKC.

6. Misc. - I just had a thought. Oklahoma is a big cattle state and has a long tradition of ranching. Why isn't there a cattle ranch, similar to that in City Slickers, where people can take a vacation driving cattle on horseback? I'd sign up. Maybe that's far fetched but why not take advantage of Oklahoma's strengths and heritage?

If I sit here long enough I could think of much more but these were the ones that just popped into my head. I'm not trying to bring down OKC but its definitely not worthy of Top 25 status. The only reall good thing OKC has going for it is Bricktown and light traffic. Remember, this list is basically about tourism. I probably would rank OKC in the top 25 cities to LIVE IN, but not for tourism.

BDP
06-11-2007, 09:02 AM
In my mind it's better to become a great place to live and work - a LIFETIME destination rather than an overhyped tourist trap

Yeah, but most of those things on that list are what comprise a great city to live and work in. There's not a whole lot of, if any, consideration to wholly tourist bait in that survey. The reality is that if it's a nice place to live, people will want to visit, but I don't neccessarily desire OKC to have good food, good times, and nice neighborhoods so that it will become a tourist trap. I'd like those things because it would make living here that much better.

That's the best thing about concetrating on these kinds of improvements. Even if better infrastructure, better restraurants, more cultural activities, and nicer neighborhoods didn't spawn OKC into the economic stratosphere, it would still improve the lives of us who already live, work, and raise families here. If it was just about being in someone's top 25, then I'd give up now. But there are real benefits to all of us to keep working on improveing OKC's quality of life, even if not one single person visted or moved here because of those improvements.

jbrown84
06-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Oklahoma City has a ways to go to ever crack that list. Here are just a few things off the top of my head that OKC needs to even be considered:

1. Light rail transit - OKC is the largest city, in terms a area, in the country and unless you have a vehicle you aren't going anywhere. Visitors should be able to leave there cars at the hotels and take light rail transportation to all the key tourist attractions in OKC. Very expensive project but a must for OKC to be considered

I think most of us agree on that.

2. We have no five star hotels - Yes, the Skirvin just opened and there are a few nice hotels in downtown but OKC doesn't have the big name five star hotels such as the HYATT or HILTON. Got to have those nice hotels to be a major city.

The Skirvin is a Hilton. But we do need more of those.

3. Professional sports - Yes we had the Hornets briefly and, yes, the Sonics may move here but right now OKC is not a professional sports city. Redhawks, Blazers, and Yard Dawgz aren't enough to cut it.

Good thing andy left, or you'd be getting a verbal beatdown about how we do have PRO sports, just not major league sports.

4. Theme Parks - Sorry guys, but I don't see Frontier City as a real theme park. OKC needs a Six Flags, SeaWorld, etc. and a major Aquarium to compliment the zoo.

There is no reason why Frontier City can't be that with some good expansion.

5. Resort - To my knowlege, there are no major family resorts anywhere near OKC.

That won't come until we have the attractions to support it. We're getting there.

6. Misc. - I just had a thought. Oklahoma is a big cattle state and has a long tradition of ranching. Why isn't there a cattle ranch, similar to that in City Slickers, where people can take a vacation driving cattle on horseback? I'd sign up. Maybe that's far fetched but why not take advantage of Oklahoma's strengths and heritage?

We have many such ranches in Oklahoma's rural areas.

Nixon7
06-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Why would families choose to come to OKC or OKLA for that matter? We need attractions like allseeingeye has stated. As a father wanting to go on vacation, OKC would be a tough sell to your family. But if you could say, hey, we could stop and relax in the Arbuckle or Oachita Mountains and stay at a place like this... Hyatt San Antonio Hotel Resorts, Texas Accommodations & Reservations - Hyatt Regency Hill Country (http://hillcountry.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp?icamp=sanhcredirect1) that has a lazy river, pool, golf course, etc...on our way to the _______ attraction in OKC, then we could become a destination.

SpectralMourning
06-11-2007, 02:37 PM
I see no reason why OKC doesn't have resorts yet. Even then, I think the playing up of traditions through resorts would be a fantastic way to go. I think we should definitely move Frontier City into the Adventure District and expand it to incorporate a lot of Oklahoma history. I think that if it were done right, that'd be an ultimate hit.

About the aquarium issue, what's up with us not having one? I think the city should definitely consider a huge one on or near the river in the Core to Shore development. It'd be awesome if they incorporated it into infrastructural development to make that even more of an attraction. There could even be one somehow incorporated into the convention center. That'd be interesting...

One thing the city will soon need to compete with would be Spaceport Oklahoma, that is if the Northeast uses that as a tourist trap. Regardless, we need to play up all of our industries to keep things interesting.

CuatrodeMayo
06-11-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm a little confused. NE OK or NE USA? The Oklahoma Spaceport is in Burns Flat in Western OK.

I think the spaceport (assuming it actually is popular) would be more helpful to OKC. It is the nearest major city, with the next closest being Amarillo.

jbrown84
06-11-2007, 04:07 PM
I think we should definitely move Frontier City into the Adventure District and expand it to incorporate a lot of Oklahoma history. I think that if it were done right, that'd be an ultimate hit.

There's no reason to move it. It can be a destination right where it is.

allseeingeye
06-12-2007, 12:09 AM
There is no reason why Frontier City can't be that with some good expansion.

Frontier City isn't near the size of the major theme parks across the country and there isn't room in its current location for that kind of expansion. I'm guessing it would be much cheaper to build a new theme park than to try to expand Frontier City to major theme park status. Think about all the room that would be needed for 5 new super rollercoasters.

SpectralMourning
06-12-2007, 01:18 AM
I'm a little confused. NE OK or NE USA? The Oklahoma Spaceport is in Burns Flat in Western OK.

I think the spaceport (assuming it actually is popular) would be more helpful to OKC. It is the nearest major city, with the next closest being Amarillo.

I thought it was to be built in northeast Oklahoma. Meh.

OKC PATROL
06-12-2007, 07:15 AM
About the aquarium issue, what's up with us not having one? I think the city should definitely consider a huge one on or near the river in the Core to Shore development. It'd be awesome if they incorporated it into infrastructural development to make that even more of an attraction. There could even be one somehow incorporated into the convention center. That'd be interesting...

I believe there is not enough people supporting the cities efforts right now. Many enjoy what the city created but dont give a positive opinion online or even voice an opinion. Not enough OKC activists- people that want to take the time to give the opinion. A good example is Tulsa. Overall, the community supports promoting the city online and more give up time in their busy lives to generate the image. This can be seen with their active online voting for americas best family zoo. So they win the prize and it might be corny, but they still got the small recognition for their zoo(although it cant shake a stick to the OKC zoo). Also, some should take a gander at the wikipedia site for OKC. It is terrible when compared to Tulsas(which is almost over worked and has more info than many major cities) and this is just another way some could interject info and pics to give a better description of what happens in OKC.

On another note and a reply to the aquarium idea-

The aquarium in Jenks stinks and I am very dissapointed that they labeled it The OKlahoma Aquarium, because if we were to develop one in the future we would have to use a different name. I have multiple coral tanks and I know the sophistication they can bring to an environment. So they have to be showcased in a building that brings that out(minimal contemporary). The one in Jenks, although I applaud the efforts, looks like a racetrack on the exterior and Joes Crabshack for the interior(wood and fish nets instead of metal). They have great specimens though, but it also costs 16 bucks to get in and is not worth it especially when you get back from the Monterray aquarium. I believe we should support our prestigous zoo and throw a 50-75 million package at aquaticus, the facility and tanks are there. We had more national recognition by holding dolphins and having shows akin to the coasts. That was one reason it recieved so much attention, along with being the oldest and best zoo in the region. Now I do know some of the bad publicity we recieved from all the babies dying. But in the early 90s people had a hard time keeping many salt water specimens alive. Now the world has the technology and we should take another shot at the idea. Dolphins and corals in the same contemporary facility should bring a lot of attention to the state and the city. Support the zoo and keep people in the adventure zone. It will bring in more money and might lure people into Remington Park- killing two birds with one stone(plus the zoo costs like 6 bucks and you get to enjoy a zoo along with the new aquarium).:bright_id

CuatrodeMayo
06-12-2007, 07:15 AM
Frontier City isn't near the size of the major theme parks across the country and there isn't room in its current location for that kind of expansion. I'm guessing it would be much cheaper to build a new theme park than to try to expand Frontier City to major theme park status. Think about all the room that would be needed for 5 new super rollercoasters.

Bumperboats on the Oklahoma River....

Nixon7
06-12-2007, 07:21 AM
The aquarium in Jenks stinks and I am very dissapointed that they labeled it The OKlahoma Aquarium, because if we were to develop one in the future we would have to use a different name.

That would be a good thing. It would make us get a little creative....instead of our comfort zone, i.e. the Oklahoma River, in Oklahoma County, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

jbrown84
06-12-2007, 07:44 AM
Frontier City isn't near the size of the major theme parks across the country and there isn't room in its current location for that kind of expansion. I'm guessing it would be much cheaper to build a new theme park than to try to expand Frontier City to major theme park status.

Not true at all. They already own acres of undeveloped and blighted land to the west and north, and more could be purchased.

OKC PATROL
06-12-2007, 08:17 AM
That would be a good thing. It would make us get a little creative....instead of our comfort zone, i.e. the Oklahoma River, in Oklahoma County, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

What name would you call it. Its not a piece of art- its a public facility...Riverside Aquarium or any other creative name is useless. People look for a strong name for a facilty like that. Anyway it would be silly to try to build an aquarium like tulsa. Let them have the recognition- like I said give the money to the zoo before the adventure district begins to decline.

SpectralMourning
06-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Much agreed, OKC Patrol. I was at the zoo for my first time in a really long time last year and nothing was going on at all. This was before Oklahoma Trails opened up and everything, so I can't say how it is now.

I definitely agree about expanding Aquaticus or at least massively redeveloping what it already has into one of the most entertaining and professional marine life centers. Aquaticus should most certainly be a world class attraction, as much as or more than the zoo itself. That definitely seems to be the problem; we have the attractions and the capability of producing the attractions, but I don't think a lot of people view them in developing as being world class. Perhaps we can update and revolutionize what we have to greatly improve quality of life. I know that seems obvious, but it doesn't seem like everything that needs to be considered is being considered. At least we'll have fancy bus stops.

OKC PATROL
06-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Yes- the Zoo itself is a western masterpiece. All of the natural exhibits are of high quality-which is great. The grounds are beautiful, hilly and expansive. But you have to have at least one huge attraction. It needs more than just 2 mil here and 1.5 mil there to keep up. It needs something big time. I remember in my youth being excited to see the big show with that big ticket to see the dolphins. The Fam would enjoy the grounds and then see the show. Now it has an image of just being a beautiful park with many small natural exhibits in my opinion.
They have so many possibilities for that area of the Zoo. They could extend the facility over the lake and give that part of the Zoo a very slick sophisticated look. It would be a nice contrast to the natural setting. They would probably need to build a whole new facility, but the current one is still impressive and large. I can see it expanding and being renovated. I imagine it has a lot of equipment to keep some costs down also.

jbrown84
06-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I would much prefer expanding and updating Aquaticus as opposed to cannibalizing it by building another aquarium.

I wouldn't be opposed to a large chunk of MAPS3 money going to that. I think it already has a very interesting set up with the multiple levels. It could really be world class.

SpectralMourning
06-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Exactly. I'm not sure if I would favor encompassing the entire lake unless the development was extremely tasteful and involved a lot of nature to keep the animals and visitors happy.

On the matter of America's Favorite Cities and world-class attractions, I think people should consider the list of the "Best in OKC" (or Oklahoma, I skimmed through it last night) from the Gazette. If someone has a copy of the list or knows a URL containing it, please post it. We should consider each item on the list and how Oklahoma could use those or make them more spectacular to compete. Just my opinion anyway.