View Full Version : The Varsity

sdsooners
06-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Since The Varsity is now closed at 63rd and Western, anybody know if they are planning to re-open somewhere else?

Also, anyone know what is going in the old Mexican restaurant north of Hideaway on Western? They've had a "For Lease" sign up for a long time but I noticed it is now gone.

jbrown84
06-08-2007, 09:15 AM
I hadn't heard that the Varsity had closed. That's too bad.

kmf563
06-08-2007, 09:16 AM
me either! when did this happen? i love football games there and bingo nights. they had really cool prizes.

bandnerd
06-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Yeah, it was always pretty busy whenever I went there...and the Iguana Lounge is I think what you are referring to...hasn't it been closed for a long time?

betts
06-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Aubrey McClendon bought that building at least a year ago. Maybe he's planning to tear it down. If the Varsity had a lease, they might be relocating, as I think he's offered other space to places that had an existing lease. Any sign on the window?

Midtowner
06-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Wow... that's no good.

y_h
06-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Well, this certainly isn't a promising sign. The Original Varsity (http://www.originalvarsity.com/)

*sigh* There's goes another icon of my youth and ground zero for some of my fondest memories of my days in OKC. I certainly hope that ownership decides to make a go of it somewhere else, but the "thanks for 19 years of business" signoff sure doesn't give me much hope.

bandnerd
06-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Wow, that really doesn't sound good :(

Martin
06-08-2007, 10:20 AM
the place wasn't bad, but it felt like... i don't know... stepping into 1987 every time i went.

-M

okclee
06-08-2007, 10:21 AM
What is wrong with 1987??

y_h
06-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Yeah, that's what I liked about it!!!

Okay, well that and the Remington Chicken Sandwich.

And the homemade chips.

Oh, and let's not leave out the potato skins with spicy chicken.

And of course, the loaded curly fries.

Martin
06-08-2007, 10:30 AM
didn't mean to imply that it was necessarily bad, per se... it was just an observation. the first time i went, it was just kinda weird... it seemed like such a throwback to the mid-to-late 80's without overtly trying to be that.

-M

y_h
06-08-2007, 10:38 AM
the place wasn't bad, but it felt like... i don't know... stepping into 1987 every time i went.

-M

What is wrong with 1987??

didn't mean to imply that it was necessarily bad, per se... it was just an observation. the first time i went, it was just kinda weird... it seemed like such a throwback to the mid-to-late 80's without overtly trying to be that.

-M

I suppose the nice euphamism for that is "timeless atmosphere."

Call me a sentimental sap or a get-a-lifer if you must, but this news has really saddened me. When I came back for my first OKC visit in 12 years last November the Varsity was the first place I visited after I checked into the hotel. I wound up eating three meals there in three and a half days. For three years it was a thrice a week (if not more) destination for me and a number of my law school cohorts so there was certainly some emotional attachment for the place. Okay, enough of my blubbering.

Martin
06-08-2007, 10:45 AM
i don't think having a sentimental attachment to a place is sappy or warrants a 'get-a-life' response... i totally understand where you're coming from.

-M

kmf563
06-08-2007, 11:07 AM
I don't think it's sappy either. I'm really going to miss that place. It was the only place I could watch football and not get hit on by the drunk guys. They just treated me like one of their own. Also I could root for my buckeyes there and not have things thrown at me. I even met an entire buckeye loving family once. I can't bring myself to tell one of my managers. I think he has been there every monday night for the last 19 years. He is going to be so sad.

kmf563
06-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Aparently the rumor has it that chesapeake offered the right amount and they took it. Those that worked there were told after working their shift on June 2nd to say goodbye and they were done.

y_h
06-08-2007, 03:30 PM
kmf, you're correct in that Chesapeake did in fact purchase the Glenbrook East building, however what's interesting is that they did so three years ago and the transaction was actually noted on this board -- http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/419-chesapeake-continues-expansion.html. In my mind I have to believe that the restaurant's closing is business related as opposed to real estate related, otherwise there wouldn't have been the valedictory salutation on the website. In "my day" the Varsity was as much a dining destination as it was a sports-viewing destination. In this day of satellite tvs and big screen plasmas at home, not to mention the explosion of casual dining establishments in the general vicinity (especially Cheesecake Factory), it could just be that the V couldn't remain a viable entity.

kmf563
06-08-2007, 03:35 PM
I remember that discussion now...vaguely...I thought there was some question as to ownership rights or something as far as the varsity was concerned?? Ok so my question is then, if they knew this was coming for 3 years...why did they wait until the night of closing to let their employees know? AFTER they finished their shift. This is the 3rd restaurant within a month's time I have heard doing this to their employees and it's just flat out ridiculous and rude. I think when they do that they should automatically have to give a two weeks severance pay. We have to give a two week courtesy notice to employers so I think they should at least have to do the same.

jbrown84
06-08-2007, 03:40 PM
That's his point, kmf. It obviously wasn't a real-estate issue, or they would have done this 3 years ago.

BDP
06-08-2007, 03:41 PM
I can't see anyone leasing the Iguana building either. It's pretty risky to start a business on upper Western right now as you will probably be told to leave once Chesapeake buys the building. It's pretty clear that Chesapeake's plan is to slowly suffocate the area and then build it back in their own vision.

BDP
06-08-2007, 03:46 PM
It obviously wasn't a real-estate issue, or they would have done this 3 years ago.

Maybe Chesepeake just let them finish the term on their lease. They bought it three years ago to secure the property, but probably weren't ready to implement that stage of their master plan at the time, so they let them stay for three years to finish their term or maybe went month-to-month with them until one of them was ready to move. This way they get some cash flow until the demolition or remodel starts. I know that I have finished some leases in the very same manner.

I'm sure Varsity wanted to be at full service until they decided to close, so they didn't tell anyone. That way no one leaves before they're ready to close.

jbrown84
06-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Maybe so.

tuck
06-08-2007, 04:52 PM
I can't see anyone leasing the Iguana building either. It's pretty risky to start a business on upper Western right now as you will probably be told to leave once Chesapeake buys the building. It's pretty clear that Chesapeake's plan is to slowly suffocate the area and then build it back in their own vision.

The old Iquana buiding needs to be scrapped!!! It hasn't been fit to do business in in 10 years. It is a great location and just in case no one has noticed: Nearly everyone that has been relocated or bought out by Chesapeake has been better off. Take a look at Pearls, Abrahams, etc...

I don't think the Varsity will re-open. They had a good following and location was huge for them. I would have to say that the principles involved with The Varsity are going to have their best year ever unless Chesapeake just DIDN'T renew their lease. I wish them luck.