View Full Version : Above ground pools

MadMonk
06-08-2007, 08:17 AM
I've got one of those "Easy Set" pools by Intex and I've been pretty happy with it for the last few years, but putting chemicals in it is a pain. I've noticed that they now have saltwater systems for these and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. They are a little pricey, but would pay for itself by not having to buy chlorine, stablizers, ph adjusters, etc just a few years time. From what I'm told, it's not like seawater salty, just 1/10th the saltiness. Similar to softened water.

Any saltwater pool fans/haters out there?

cindyl57
06-12-2007, 08:50 AM
I really can't help you with the salt water thing...But our first Easy Set pool taught us alot...We had a very big one...24 ft by 42 in...And we would leave it up all year..Had it 3 summers and the Oklahoma Winter and Wind tore the ring to shreds...Last year no pool :(
We haven't been able to find another one that big either...This year we settled for the 18X48...
but what we did learn with the first one...
The pump and filter that came with it...just wasn't good enough...We burned the pump up early on and trying to keep the canister filters clean was a chore...

We bought a Used reg pump and sand filter off Ebay...And it worked like a charm...But the sand filter leaked and we ended up buying a new sand filter...
Then after the pool went belly up, we gave away the pump...
When we got our new pool last week, we found a rebuilt pump at a local pool place for 100.00...
Now that seems like a lot, but if your pool gets alot of use, it is worth it.

Also...If you keep the Chlorine up to par, everything else will usually fall into place..Some times the PH is up or down, but it will fluctuate and as long as the pool is clean....not too much to worry about....

MadMonk
06-13-2007, 08:41 AM
This is the 5th year we've had this same Easyset pool. We take it down each year; I'm worry that the vinyl won't hold up to winter temperatures without splitting or cracking. It's 18' x 48" and I'm pretty happy with it, considering I paid $360 for it and has lasted this long. I've got the original pump (still going strong) and the only problems I've had is a pinhole puncture in the inflatable top ring (easily patched) and a pump hose that split after three years - I believe it cost around $8 to replace. Just in case though, I have a backup pump that a friend gave me when their dog chewed a bunch of holes in their pool.

The filter system does leave a lot to be desired, particularly near the season's end and you start getting the really, really fine dirt settling in the pool bottom. I've bought a hose and vacuum head that allows me to suck the contents off the bottom and through the filter (rather than that ridiculous vac that comes with the pool), but even the main filter isn't designed to catch particles that small. I've resorted to vacuuming and allowing the outflow to be pumped into the yard and then replacing the water. it doesn't take that much water out and gets the dirt out permanently. I've noticed that they've come out with vacuum system designed to go through the filter now. I like your idea of the sand filter. Would it get out the fine dirt I'm talking about?

One add-on that didn't come with my pool was the skimmer attachment that clamps on the side. I bought it the 2nd year that we put up the pool and that made a huge difference in catching stuff before it sank to the bottom where the original strainer could'nt do anything about it.

In any case, I've tried getting a good deal on the saltwater systems on eBay, but they are still too expensive for my budget this year. I opened my pool last weekend and I've already purchased $150 worth of supplies for this year so maybe next year. I'd really like to know how well they work though.

Oh, one more thing that I discovered last weekend. One of the valves on the side of the pool seemed to be stuck; so considering that they are 5 years old I contacted Intex about a replacment in case I needed it. However, they said that they don't make that style of valve any more! Mine has the original hose clamp attachment style, not the screw-on connectors. They said the only way to convert to the new style was to replace my valves, hoses and pump (for $180!). I told them to get bent and managed to unstick the valve with WD-40. I cleaned out the valve and lubed the o-rings with a little vaseline and it works as good as new now. I spoke with someone at Leslies pool supply and they said that the only way to get replacement parts is directly from Intex or some resellers online. He knew of noone in town that carried parts (other than filters and such at Wal Mart). :(

cindyl57
06-14-2007, 07:05 AM
The newer pools come with a better vacuuming system and...the skimmer...on the old pool, we sort of rigged up a skimmer, but this one that came with the pool works great.

I know our sand filter worked great. I know that the bottom of the pool stayed clean, but with out a good skimmer, all the heavier junk would fall to the bottom.
I am happy they came out with the skimmer.

I think this year we will take down the pool.

Oh and another good thing....The pools have come down in price.:congrats:
Whoo hoo...we only paid 279.00 at Walley World...

Karried
06-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Above grounds are so frustrating. We have a ginormous one (when we first moved here, we had an Inground pool in CA so the kids were used to a pool... the summers were so hot here! We had to do something... since we weren't sure how long we would stay at this house, we bought a 30' x 30' ft and put it down the hill - I didn't want it to stick up like sore thumb)...anyway, it's been fine but the chemicals this year because of the rain ran about $300! possibly more.. I stopped asking!

But, it keeps the kids busy and cool and they have their friends over so it's fun for them. I'd be a millionaire if I didn't have kids.... an unhappy millionaire, but still... a millionaire. :-)

Easy180
06-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Above grounds are so frustrating. We have a ginormous one (when we first moved here, we had an Inground pool in CA so the kids were used to a pool... the summers were so hot here! We had to do something... since we weren't sure how long we would stay at this house, we bought a 30' x 30' ft and put it down the hill - I didn't want it to stick up like sore thumb)...anyway, it's been fine but the chemicals this year because of the rain ran about $300! possibly more.. I stopped asking!

But, it keeps the kids busy and cool and they have their friends over so it's fun for them. I'd be a millionaire if I didn't have kids.... an unhappy millionaire, but still... a millionaire. :-)

Take it from me...You would just end up blowing more money on yourselves if you didn't have any kids

It's the American way

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-16-2007, 05:19 AM
Take it from me...You would just end up blowing more money on yourselves if you didn't have any kids

It's the American way

No kidding.

I make pretty good money for living in Oklahoma, and I live alone. Yet I manage to blow every dime I make. Yes, I invest and throw a bunch at the 401k...But I don't need any help blowing my money and I'll probably never be a multi-millionaire.

Oh...And when you're single and have no kids? Yeah...You buy REALLY stupid stuff. :doh

Karried
06-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Well, I feel better knowing the Ducks are enjoying the pool as well. With all the rain, I haven't been able to get out and clean it.....took this yesterday in between rain showers. The rain seems to drop a bunch of gunk into the pool.

I imagine I'll have a few Ducky surprises waiting when I head out there... ahhhh, it never ends!

But, the ducks are pretty!

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8742/camerajune07032ut6.jpg

CCOKC
06-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Yesterday I had a mom with 11 ducklings in my pool. I wish I had taken pictures. Three of the ducklings died and my daughter was depressed the rest of the day. Back in March we had a mom with 6 ducklings. I have an in-ground pool so the ducklings can get in easily. Problem is they can get out. We put a gardening kneeling pad halfway in the pool anchored by a rock and the ducks could walk out using that. Both times they all swam around about half the day and then they disappeared. Pretty cool though.