View Full Version : Nascar?

Misty
06-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Anyone see the article in the Journal Record about Rep. Joe Dorman wanting a study done to build a Nascar track? The article states that a Nascar spokesman says no additional tracks are needed. So why waste the time to do a study? SHAKE AND BAKE.

JWil
06-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Oklahoma will never get a NASCAR track since TMS has such a large percentage of Oklahomans drawn to that track and the Kansas Speedway is just to the north. It was an idea of a constituent of his, but there's just no way it'll ever happen.

Misty
Good!

Blairman
Lets say that is almost 10 yrs too late, once the track was built in Fort Worth, Oklahoma could forget about any chances of a NASCAR event every being held in Oklahoma.

Before you start laughing, outside the DFW area, OKC has the highest number of people attending the races in Fort Wrorth (source is the speedway ticket office)

OKC has plenty of auto race fans and could bring in "horse-type" money if the fairgrounds put money into the grandstands like they did for all the horse barns
( btw I am not against the $$ spent on the barnes, since we gain in additional revenue)

Drake
06-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Did anybody catch Mark Rodgers on Channel 5 a couple of weeks ago reporting that the city is in negotiations(sp?) to bring an Indy car race road race to downtown.

I'm no race fan in general, but I think that would be really cool for city and I would love to see those guys/girls (thats for Danica) and their cars in action.

okclee
06-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Did anybody catch Mark Rodgers on Channel 5 a couple of weeks ago reporting that the city is in negotiations(sp?) to bring an Indy car race road race to downtown.

I'm no race fan in general, but I think that would be really cool for city and I would love to see those guys/girls (thats for Danica) and their cars in action.

Drake......I did see Mayor Mick talking about the IRL in Bricktown. The mayor said that no track would need to built because the roads are ready for racing.

I am not a fan of car racing either and don't really know anything about it, but I look at it as another event that would bring $$ to Okc and to downtown.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-07-2007, 12:10 PM
I could give two rat's whiskers about people driving in circles, and I don't follow any sort of racing, but I'd go see a Grand Prix type race in a heartbeat.

JWil
06-07-2007, 12:33 PM
An IRL road course in downtown/Bricktown would be a LOT of fun. One of the best races out there on the IRL circuit is the Long Beach Grand Prix, which is nothing more than connecting city streets and making it a road race course.

That would be good times. Honestly, IRL/F1 racing is BETTER than NASCAR, though I enjoy both.

bombermwc
06-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Glad to hear no Nascar here. I don't know that I would actually be very happy about an Indy race though. How are they going to ensure the protection of the buildings and people around the track? What about the wear and tear on the road they will cause? How about traffic tie ups as they prepare the track before the event and break down afterwards? I'd be really pissed if I worked downtown and had to deal with a bunch of roads being closed for that.

Cid
06-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Glad to hear no Nascar here. I don't know that I would actually be very happy about an Indy race though. How are they going to ensure the protection of the buildings and people around the track? What about the wear and tear on the road they will cause? How about traffic tie ups as they prepare the track before the event and break down afterwards? I'd be really pissed if I worked downtown and had to deal with a bunch of roads being closed for that.
Really? You'd be pissed about an international racing event in downtown Oklahoma City where it inconveniences a downtown worker for 1 or 2 days? Really???? I hope most of us don't share those sentiments. Waaaah... we are slightly inconvenienced for a day or two or $deity forbid, on a WEEKEND.

With regard to protecting buildings, etc, they would do the same that they do at every other event. Special barriers, select streets for turns, etc. Why would OKC be any different than ANY other city in that regard? Sounds like you are being a poo-pooer.

Kerry
06-07-2007, 03:42 PM
I would love the idea of a road course through bricktown/downtown. While NASCAR might not come to OKC, what about Busch Series and Craftsman Truck series. Both are exciting and draw good crowds. What would be really cool is a road course shared for all three racing division. We could even have our own version of Speed Week.

Watson410
06-07-2007, 03:53 PM
I know i wouldn't have one bit of a problem with the city closing down a few streets in Downtown/Bricktown for an IRL race in OKC. That would be absoluletly nuts if we got them to come here. I have no doubt in my mind that there would be a HUGE turnout. About NASCAR, For all you nonesayers out there....why wouldn't Nascar work in OKC? I'm sure there's many more people living in OKC and surrounding areas that are like me... I would love to watch a nascar race in person but don't feel like travling south down I-35 for 3 hours. If you think we CAN'T support a track because of TMS and Kansas City, you've gotta be kiddin me!!! Google a map of all the nascar tracks and where they're located on the map. The east coast has quite a few tracks about the same distance apart that TMS, OKC, and KC would be. It doesn't have to be as big as TMS or anything, maybe something like a Bristol night race, something unique and different to draw texas race fans to OKC.

Drake
06-07-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm not sure anybody is saying it wouldn't work here. Just that NASCAR officials have made it clear they don't need anymore tracks. Especially where you have two within a half day drive.