View Full Version : New Billboards

CCOKC
06-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Has anyone noticed the new digital electronic billboards around town lately?
I have seen three so far. One on I-44 going north by the fairgrounds. Another going east on I-44 just past May and the third going North on Broadway Ext by the Capital. The don't have ads but pictures of puppies and landscape photos and a countdown to Christmas. ( Only 202 days 54 minutes). I am assuming there will be ads someday. Right now the images only are shown 5 seconds or so before they change. The billboard are owned by Lamar. The images are quite impressive in their quality but I am not a great judge on this matter.

Midtowner
06-06-2007, 10:12 PM
I want to know how to get one of those in my living room.

SpectralMourning
06-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Speaking of signs, what was up with the graffiti on the direction signs on the cross town? A ton of crews were out there to clean that crap up yesterday, working pretty fast. People are idiots.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-07-2007, 01:19 AM
I want to know how to get one of those in my living room.

You'll just have to push real hard.

PUGalicious
06-07-2007, 04:51 AM
Has anyone noticed the new digital electronic billboards around town lately?
I have seen three so far. One on I-44 going north by the fairgrounds. Another going east on I-44 just past May and the third going North on Broadway Ext by the Capital. The don't have ads but pictures of puppies and landscape photos and a countdown to Christmas. ( Only 202 days 54 minutes). I am assuming there will be ads someday. Right now the images only are shown 5 seconds or so before they change. The billboard are owned by Lamar. The images are quite impressive in their quality but I am not a great judge on this matter.
From talking to my Lamar rep a couple of months ago, it seemed like they were putting around 6 up initially. Those that you talked about plus one on Broadway Extension just north of 63rd, one on Lake Hefner Parkway between NW Expressway and NW 50th. I'm not sure where the other(s) is/are.

And they are set to rotate every 6 seconds. They can be updated virtually instantly, which would be perfect for retailers, car dealers and others wanting to put time-sensitive information up. And they will be quite pricey. I haven't seen the rate card on them yet, but I'm sure we'll be sticking with the traditional boards for the near future.

metro
06-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Yeah there's on the Hefner Parkway, just south of NW Expressway. It's been there for awhile now and has several ads running on it. FYI if you go to Newsok.com they have a video story you can watch on this for more info.

As far as the graffit goes, yes those people are idiots, thank Cier who at one point was an OKCTalk member.

PUGalicious
06-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Yeah there's on the Hefner Parkway, just south of NW Expressway.
I just said that in the post just before yours.
:beaten_fi

jbrown84
06-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Yeah, there are actually a couple other billboard companies putting these up. The one across the interstate from Baptist is not Lamar, for example.

St. Anthony will be on the Lamar ones, but I don't think our other clients can afford it.

Misty
06-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Tacky, tacky, tacky. I hate billboards. We already have one on every foot of roadway in this town.

kmf563
06-07-2007, 09:49 AM
ha. I actually noticed the one right above the Hudson's on NW Expressway by Baptist hospital. This was the first one I saw and it was early in the morning on my way to work. All I saw was a huge electronic green sign so in my lack of sleep morning drive I though it was new advertisement for Hudson's. I thought to myself "whoa, I've been giving them way too much money" :LolLolLol :drunk: :Smiley051

jbrown84
06-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Tacky, tacky, tacky. I hate billboards. We already have one on every foot of roadway in this town.

Well, these are all existing billboards with new technology.

SoonerDave
06-07-2007, 10:05 AM
I think these new boards are awesome. I would have sworn that I've spotted more than six around town, but if there are multiple vendors putting them up, that would explain it. It is *incredible* how the LED display technology has made things like that possible.

There are two going up on the west side of I-35 a bit north of Crossroads, and another one just south of I-240 on the west side of I-35. I've seen the one over by the Fairgrounds...

If you've gotta have billboards, these are the kind to have.

-soonerdave

Misty
06-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Well, these are all existing billboards with new technology.

I'd rather see more trees, less billboards.

jbrown84
06-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Just clarifying that new billboards weren't being constructed.

SpectralMourning
06-07-2007, 11:00 AM
NPR had a discussion on the safety of these about a week ago. They considered the fact that they are extremely bright and a major distraction to most who want to see the next ad compared with "safe" distractions of anything under two seconds. Others spoke of how they are ugly, but are ultimately held under free speech... that and the companies flood money in to support congressmen...

jbrown84
06-07-2007, 11:14 AM
I haven't seen them at night I guess. Are that that bright?

CCOKC
06-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Yes they are quite bright and have a great picture quality. I think the distracting part for me is that the message only displays for 6 seconds and on the ones I have seen they aren't advertising anything yet just nice pictures which is quite strange. I find myself looking at the picture and not the road.

oSutrooper
06-07-2007, 03:52 PM
I haven't seen them at night I guess. Are that that bright?

I drive by one every night and they are bright

Speaking of signs, what was up with the graffiti on the direction signs on the cross town? A ton of crews were out there to clean that crap up yesterday, working pretty fast. People are idiots.

The other night OHP and OCPD got a call for someone vandalizing the overhead
boards. An officer drove by and seen this and turned around. When he got there they were running in all directions. They called for a k9 and the helicopter and they were never found.

SpectralMourning
06-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Well if it's true that one of those punks used to be a member of this forum, maybe the admins can drop his IP and email or something with OHP and OCPD to give them a heads up. That had to have sucked for the city, the state, and anyone actually needing to read those signs and not that garbage.

oSutrooper
06-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Well if it's true that one of those punks used to be a member of this forum, maybe the admins can drop his IP and email or something with OHP and OCPD to give them a heads up. That had to have sucked for the city, the state, and anyone actually needing to read those signs and not that garbage.

If someone want to do that pass the info on and Ill get it to the right person
:artist:

PUGalicious
06-07-2007, 07:45 PM
How do we know that this (former?) member of the forum was responsible for this? Before we start asking the admin/mods to divulge such sensitive information to the authorities, I would hope it's based on more than mere speculation and rumors.

oudirtypop
06-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Yea, I Noticed Two On 235 Today. They Are Great Quality And I Noticed Myself Waiting To See What The Next Picture Was Instead Of Focusing On The Road.

jbrown84
06-08-2007, 08:55 AM
How do we know that this (former?) member of the forum was responsible for this?

We don't.

SpectralMourning
06-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Yeah, maybe I jumped to conclusion on that. Even still, why admit to being an offender on a public forum with the same graffiti that's been used before? That guy is a jackass.

jbrown84
06-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Okay, so what exactly happened on the interstate signs?

Centerback
06-21-2007, 09:52 AM
jbrown84, do you know what St. Anthony is being charged for those electronic billboards?

Turanacus
06-21-2007, 10:21 AM
too many power lines draped across this town, okc should bury them, edmond as well, wires and lines everywhere!!!

jbrown84
06-21-2007, 12:30 PM
jbrown84, do you know what St. Anthony is being charged for those electronic billboards?

I don't, but I really can't share that kind of information.

jbrown84
06-21-2007, 12:31 PM
too many power lines draped across this town, okc should bury them, edmond as well, wires and lines everywhere!!!

I strongly agree.

Centerback
06-21-2007, 12:38 PM
no big deal, I was just curious in comparison to the regular ones.

jbrown84
06-21-2007, 12:46 PM
I can find out a general price-range.

jbrown84
06-21-2007, 01:27 PM
I believe it's over $40,000 a month for Lamar. That's multiple boards.

Centerback
06-21-2007, 01:43 PM
To me, that hardly seems worth it, even for multiple boards. I know they look good at night, but in the daytime I think the regular boards stand out better and you're the ONLY one on the board.

jbrown84
06-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Yeah, the look kind of dull in the daylight.

I guess they aren't as bright as the boards all over times square that look just as bright in the day as the night.

SoonerDave
06-27-2007, 02:40 PM
But if this generation of display boards is even remotely successful, it should continue to spur development of even brighter LED units in the coming months/years. If they can get them small enough, you'll start seeing this kind of technology in even thinner flat-panel TV's; point being I think the billboard companies sniff a huge new potential in these boards that has lots of upside...and keep in mind this same technology is already being used on a larger scale in NFL stadiums (and I believe will be going into OU's stadium both this and next year...big one going in next year - complete scoreboard/video replacement with solid LED panel, I think...)

-soonerdave