View Full Version : Lofts

dismayed
06-06-2007, 01:10 AM
I've been looking around at the for-purchase lofts in the Bricktown area. I have to say I'm disappointed that almost all of them point north or south. I wish someone would build some facing west (downtown) so that loft owners could get a nice view of the downtown buildings. Just thought I'd mention it here in case there are any developers lurking who are considering their next project.

John
06-06-2007, 02:32 AM
I've been looking around at the for-purchase lofts in the Bricktown area. I have to say I'm disappointed that almost all of them point north or south. I wish someone would build some facing west (downtown) so that loft owners could get a nice view of the downtown buildings. Just thought I'd mention it here in case there are any developers lurking who are considering their next project.

Candy Factory will be facing west...

Bricktown Mercantile (CityWalk bldg) would be if it were made into lofts...

Not so much 'Bricktown', but some Centennial units will face west...

metro
06-06-2007, 03:55 PM
But one thing to keep in mind dismayed is that the buildings weren't originally intended for lofts. So the smaller older buildings are butted up against other buildings and even if they had windows on the west side, probably wouldn't provide a view of downtown. The ones above Brew Ha Ha would offer a nice view of Deep Deuce (a nice view IMO).

brianinok
06-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Who owns the Spaghetti Warehouse building? What is in all those upper floors that seem to be empty? I've often thought that building would be great for apartments or condos. It is certainly a bigger building than many proposed or under-construction projects (possibly easier to be successful because of economies of scale). And what a prime location at Sheridan & Oklahoma. It would have some nice west-facing units.

Midtowner
06-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Not that this is exactly on-point with the OP... but are any of you concerned that you might quickly be upside down in your mortgage if you purchase a loft downtown?

I mean, right now, the market is characterized by a super high demand and a very small supply -- that means high prices. But what happens when we do core to shore and there is a glut of new downtown housing??? What then? Will people be willing to pay the types of prices to live downtown that they're paying now? For the price of a small 2000 sq. ft. brownstone, I could be moving into a good sized house in Crown Heights or a pretty decent house in Nichols Hills.

And the Classen??? How is that ever going to be a good investment at the prices they're offering for? I really would like to have a loft, but this is the big thing keeping me from seriously considering a purchase.

dismayed
06-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Honestly that concerns me too. I tend to think that downtown developers are asking too much for their condos. If you talk to their sales people, you get the standard sales pitch about how you can't compare downtown housing to suburban housing, and so on. But you know, I travel a lot and it is kind of shocking that I could buy a condo on some beaches or in some pretty kick ass downtowns somewhere for the same price as a condo in a beaten down part of OKC. It doesn't make sense to me.

Midtowner
06-06-2007, 10:00 PM
The price will be whatever people are willing to pay. If, in a couple of years, there are some long-standing empty condos, either they'll go rental in the hopes that someday they can sell at a decent price or they'll simply bite the bullet and lower the price.

At any rate, I'm not going to take that risk. It seems to me that Once core to shore goes through and there are newer, nicer places (and a lot of them) to live in, folks who buy now will really be kicking themselves.

jbrown84
06-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Which lofts did you look at that weren't west facing?

murphystone
06-08-2007, 04:09 PM
The view from the top three floors of the Mercantile are awesome.
Downtown at its finest.
That would be nice, I would take about 1500 sq ft even dance in my kitchen when City Walk is rocking

Nabber
07-08-2007, 08:50 PM
I would love to rent or own a loft in Brick town But I can't even afford the prices and or sizes they have so far. A smallish studio style loft like some of those in NYC Is what I'd like to have but not at the price of a small start up house in a semi-good neighborhood. Have to find a full time job downtown If I got my wish though.

Live and love for life
Nabber

jbrown84
07-09-2007, 08:39 AM
There are some historic studios in Midtown near the Plaza Court called The Florence. I think there are several like that.

gmwise
07-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Bricktown/Midtown,Downtown is very overprice ,wheather its for purchase or rent.
Give it sometime to settle down.

Midtowner
07-09-2007, 04:02 PM
I think it'll be high for awhile. The folks buying condos right now I think are going to get the short end of the stick. The price of those right now is based on their novelty. That'll be gone as soon as core to shore takes off.

That said, I know at least two people buying homes on "The Hill."

dismayed
07-09-2007, 09:21 PM
jbrown, I'm sorry I didn't see your post to me until this thread became active again. If I remember correctly, Block42, The Hill, Maywood Park, The Lofts at Maywood Park, and 444 E. Central all face N/S and either don't have any west-facing lofts or have only like one or two. Same deal with the for-rent Deep Deuce.

jbrown84
07-10-2007, 12:15 PM
True. I think Central Ave. Villas face mostly west, but i'm not sure if there's really a view. It may be blocked.