View Full Version : K S B I - T V

Marko
06-03-2007, 11:25 PM
OK, I have looked back through the post on this forum and perhaps I missed it.

Can someone explain to me how channel 52 stays afloat?

I mean really! Have they been showing the same old shows for about three years now? They had a chance to have a really good old fashioned "UHF" channel when Brady B. and company bought it from Locke Supply.

Someone must have a little insight into this. I have often wondered while "Zapping" the channels and I come across the station, am I possibly the only person on earth dumb enough to be watching the fifth or sixth showing of a particular episode of Quincy in as many months?

Their ratings have to be in the dumps?

allseeingeye
06-04-2007, 12:04 AM
Their ratings have to be in the dumps?

They are really bad. I still don't know how they had the money to launch that 5:30 newscast. Brady must have investors backing him and throwing money at the station with the expectations of it becoming a big hit independent station. Its not going to happen the way Brady is running it.

ultimatesooner
06-04-2007, 08:27 AM
They are really bad. I still don't know how they had the money to launch that 5:30 newscast. Brady must have investors backing him and throwing money at the station with the expectations of it becoming a big hit independent station. Its not going to happen the way Brady is running it.

some of our local millionaires put up the $$ for that newscast

Intrepid
06-04-2007, 09:11 AM
I think it's funny that they proudly boast "family programming" and then show "The Tyra Banks Show". =)

In their defense it is shown after 9pm. But it's still funny.

Intrepid
06-04-2007, 09:15 AM
I think it's funny that they proudly boast "family programming" and then show "The Tyra Banks Show". =)

In their defense it is shown after 9pm. But it's still funny.

I stand corrected. Tyra is shown at 4:30pm everyday on KSBI.

Not what I really consider "family" programming. LOL

SoonerDave
06-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Brus et all have rolled a HUGE ton of money into that station, and while I think their objective are laudable, they're finding the supply of available programming to be very limited. Lots of the bigger cable networks are buying up the rights to entire libraries of old shows, so the number of any given shows available to something like a KSBI is decreasing rapidly.

There may some validity to a marketing strategy that suggests, over the long term, the idea of larger statewide broadcasters (like traditional local affiliates KWTV, KOCO, and KFOR) may yield to a model in which smaller broadcasters target very narrow geographical areas for broadcast, then hope to gain some broader traction by being picked up by cable outlets. I think that may be how KSBI is trying to position itself. My guess is that the station is being run at a (substantial) loss, and perhaps is expected to for a time, until some of that strategy can be realized...problem is it may take longer than their cash will hold out.

Just a guess on my part. I loved Quincy when I was growing up, but MAN it seems cornball now...

-soonerdave

allseeingeye
06-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Brus et all have rolled a HUGE ton of money into that station, and while I think their objective are laudable, they're finding the supply of available programming to be very limited. Lots of the bigger cable networks are buying up the rights to entire libraries of old shows, so the number of any given shows available to something like a KSBI is decreasing rapidly.
-soonerdave

That's not true. The only programming that KSBI CAN NOT run is that which is BROADCAST in the market. The FCC rules prohibit two broadcast stations in the same market from airing the same programs but that does not apply to cable. Example: Fox25 airs Becker at 11pm and WGN airs that same episode at midnight. KAUT airs friends and so does TBS (usually the same episodes on the same days). The issue is not that there isn't enough programming, its that the programming people are willing to watch is very expensive. IMO, KSBI took the wrong approach in trying to build a profitable station. Yes, they've invested alot of money, but in the wrong areas. They didn't need a newscast, satellite truck, or the rights to high school sports. They needed to invest that money in syndicated programming that could draw ratings and create a cash flow for the station. Adding a newscast is the LAST thing you do. You make the station profitible THEN jump into news. KSBI has the potential to be successful but needs to be run by someone who knows what they're doing. Brady is a weather guy, he doesn't know crap about running a station and that cash flow isn't going to last forever. KSBI will be up for sale within a decade.

Drake
06-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Sounds like you should buy it.

jbrown84
06-04-2007, 10:40 AM
I work for an ad agency, and I know that they have a terrible time getting advertisers to buy air time. Our media buyer dreads their sales reps' phone calls.

Legal
06-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Didn't he and his sister have a falling out? She is not with the Station now. Does anyone know what happened to her.?

streuli
06-07-2007, 12:14 AM
McClendon, Ward invest in KSBI-TV
by Jerry Shottenkirk
The Journal Record (http://www.journalrecord.com)
1/9/2007

OKLAHOMA CITY – Aubrey McClendon and Tom Ward are entering the TV business.
Officials of Family Broadcasting Group Inc. said on Monday the energy executives are new investors and shareholders in the company. McClendon is chairman and chief executive officer of Chesapeake Energy and Ward, who co-founded Chesapeake with McClendon, is chairman and CEO of SandRidge Energy.

Family Broadcasting Group Inc. owns KSBI-TV/KSBI-DT of Oklahoma City.

The amount of the investment was not disclosed. Family Broadcasting Group President and Chief Executive Officer Brady Brus said the additional funds will help the privately owned station with debt and updates, including a new broadcast facility and growth in new media.

“We are delighted to have Aubrey and Tom as investors and shareholders in our company,” Brus said. “They are accomplished businessmen who are highly respected for their character and integrity as well as their abilities to build and operate successful companies.”

Family Broadcasting Group consists of Brus, Angie Brus, a certified public accountant and treasurer; and Seekfirst Media LLC (Jon Bowie, managing partner).

In addition to KSBI, Family Broadcasting Group owns KXOC-LP and 12 television translators across Oklahoma, north Texas and southern Kansas.

In a joint statement issued Monday, McClendon and Ward said, “The outlook for Family Broadcasting Group Inc. is extremely positive as demonstrated by the growth the company has experienced the past two years in the midst of a challenging broadcast media marketplace in Oklahoma. We have been impressed with what Brady and his management team have accomplished in turning KSBI-TV into a statewide network with tremendous reach and opportunity. We have every reason to believe the additional capital and modern broadcast facilities will allow the company to pursue new broadcast and online initiatives to better serve the viewer preferences for wholesome exciting entertainment.”

Marko
06-11-2007, 02:53 PM
So this was announced in January and still we are seeing the same old shows over and over...that seems a little odd to me.