View Full Version : What's being built on Lindsey st?

u50254082
06-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Y'know, between Classen and 12th East. It's right next door to the Conoco gas station...

It looks like a restaurant to me.. probably another Braums?!?

:dizzy:

Andrew4OU
06-03-2007, 10:31 PM
I'd like to know too. It looks like a bigger restaurant. I passed by it today and thought it looked like a Golden Coral type building.

ouguy23
06-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Y'know, between Classen and 12th East. It's right next door to the Conoco gas station...

It looks like a restaurant to me.. probably another Braums?!?

:dizzy:

It is going to be Braums...Once it is built, the other one by AMF will close.

Cornbread
06-04-2007, 04:28 AM
Yep, Braums, the sign behind conoco has been there for a couple of years.

MikeLucky
06-04-2007, 07:42 AM

I have wondered and laughed at that random Braums sign for years..... glad to see they are finally following up....

u50254082
06-04-2007, 04:16 PM

Ah, good point. Well they'll save money in not having to get a sign I guess...

:)

I hope it has a drive through. I love getting mint chocolate chip shakes when I go on my sunday cruises.

soonerliberal
06-04-2007, 07:36 PM
I hope it has a drive through. I love getting mint chocolate chip shakes when I go on my sunday cruises.

I live pretty close to the Braums and it appears there are two drive thru windows on the east side of the building... there is the beginnings of a rock facade as well.

Spartan
06-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Are you guys talking bout the East Village?

soonerliberal
06-04-2007, 08:21 PM
No, we are talking about the site right next to Conoco on Lindsey at Classen.

Spartan
06-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Oh Braums. Stupid me...

Andrew4OU
06-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Braums?! wow. it looks pretty upscale for a Braum's. I've always wondered what the Braum's side was doing there! I can't believe they're just now building it. That sign has been there for a while now.

ouguy23
06-06-2007, 01:09 AM
Its a new concept design that they are trying out. If it works, then their other Braum stores will look like that.

OUman
08-07-2007, 10:58 AM
^Actually a recent article in the Transcript mentioned that this store is a new concept and that slowly the company will be transitioning the rest of its stores to this new concept. New soda-fountain style ice cream area is one of the new features.

traxx
08-07-2007, 02:49 PM
I heard it's a new concept and that they will be transitioning their other stores to the new concept.

brenna
02-13-2008, 04:53 PM
didn't want to start another thread for Lindsey St.....

Does anyone know what is being built on Lindsey where the old Goldie's used to be(just West of Mcgee)? They knocked down goldie's and already started to rebuild something a few months ago, anyone know what it is?

mheaton76
02-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Lindsey St has a lot of unrealized potential in my view... I'm surprised redevelopment has been bit by bit and not comprehensive considering it's such a major corridor for Norman.

www.unitedstatesofmichael.com

brenna
02-14-2008, 10:14 AM
I agree with that. It's a ghost town between I-35 & Berry, except for the nightmare of traffic all day, every day. It does have a lot of potential though, and no one has really taken advantage of that since I've lived here(4 years).

MikeLucky
02-14-2008, 10:51 AM
I agree with that. It's a ghost town between I-35 & Berry, except for the nightmare of traffic all day, every day. It does have a lot of potential though, and no one has really taken advantage of that since I've lived here(4 years).

given how bad the traffic on Lindsey is already, it's possible the city is trying to curb too much development to keep them from having to expand the road to match.... just a guess on my part.

brenna
02-14-2008, 03:37 PM
I think if businesses really wanted to be on Lindsey, they already would be ...strictly b/c of the location. That's what I don't understand. It's like everyone avoids setting up shop b/c the establishments are older; something doesn't have to be brand new to function.

For example, Fazoli's(right next to the Shell on Berry) closed awhile back, but with so many ppl who go to school and work at OU, you would think something would've opened by now...even if it is fast food.

In my opinion, Fazoli's did bad b/c the concept sucks...spaghetti is one of the cheapest and easiest things to make at home, why would you pay $10 for fast food pasta? That's why they closed, it wasn't the location or the traffic issue.

You can look at the other end of the spectrum too, b/c Legend's across the street is an OU/Norman tradition: they aren't a chain, the food is still awesome, & they have been open FOREVER and still do outstanding business. They aren't suffering from the traffic issue. Also, I think Texadelphia does really well, but I think parking is more the issue, rather than traffic.

To me, being on one of the busiest streets in a Norman(regardless that it is only 2 lanes) should be considered prime real estate for just about anything...with the proper marketing. You could kick some major a$$ on Lindsey St and it doesn't have to be redeveloped to do so.

BG918
02-14-2008, 10:43 PM
I think they should go ahead and make Lindsey 4 lanes from I-35 to the tracks (where it becomes 4 lanes to East 24th). No need for turn lanes, just 4 lanes of traffic that could double as turn lanes so they don't have to expand much. Then add better lighting and landscaping, similar to what they've done on Main St. Brick pavers where the ped. crosswalks are through the OU campus would be a nice touch as well.

venture
02-16-2008, 03:08 AM
I think they should go ahead and make Lindsey 4 lanes from I-35 to the tracks (where it becomes 4 lanes to East 24th). No need for turn lanes, just 4 lanes of traffic that could double as turn lanes so they don't have to expand much. Then add better lighting and landscaping, similar to what they've done on Main St. Brick pavers where the ped. crosswalks are through the OU campus would be a nice touch as well.

It's almost 4 lanes all the way to 24th SE. It actually goes down to 2 about a quarter mile or so before 24th. They are just not expanding it to 4 lanes, finally, considering that traffic at 24th and Lindsey is a nightmare around 5pm. The new traffic light will be much welcomed for traffic flow issues.

As far as west Lindsey from 35 to the tracks...they need to considering something to help with the traffic problems. I think about half of Norman residents at one time have been involved in a fender bender there just because the traffic is constantly stop and go, and some of the new kids each year don't realize it.

The main problem with Lindsey is too many curb cuts and traffic lights night timed appropriately. If they found a way to control where you can turn off Lindsey, and then either had a light there or something - it would be better. Another option is to add another west bound lane, leaving the turn lane, just to keep traffic flowing out of campus as fast as possible.

OUman
02-16-2008, 10:16 AM
^I had heard about the city widening Lindsey St. west of Berry, not sure if that plan is going to be executed. About the timing of traffic lights on Lindsey, that the city has actually done, it's just a matter of whether you're lucky or not. The fly in the ointment (as any frequent Lindsey motorist knows) is the intersection of Chautauqua and Lindsey, which is not properly synchronised with the multiple traffic signals across from the dorms.

That being said, I have driven all the way from Berry to 12th nonstop through greens lights before, and more than just once. It depends however if you can keep driving at the speed limit.

These days, when I go for recycling, which is mainly on a weekday between 3:00 and 4:00, I avoid Lindsey altogether and head west on Boyd, then take Berry (which can have a construction zone, but only sometimes) and then Lindsey.

I've also ridden my bike on Lindsey, which I wouldn't recommend to anyone even by mistake.

BG918
02-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Boyd has been pretty backed up too lately, but not as bad as Lindsey. I would hope any widening of Lindsey includes bike lanes. If I'm biking east to west in Norman I use Brooks, much safer.

OUman
02-16-2008, 07:50 PM
^I used to ride on Brooks, but sometimes that hill is just too much conquer.

venture
02-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Bike lanes would always be nice, but I think space becomes an issue if we are wanting a 4 lane road. If only there would be an easy way to persuade traffic down to Highway 9. Of course even that gets backed up during rush hour quite a bit. I really wish they would have went a standard limited access highway design for it - like the intersection at Hwy 77 - to help keep traffic flowing.

brenna
02-17-2008, 06:18 PM
^I used to ride on Brooks, but sometimes that hill is just too much conquer.

lol, poor guy! you mean between Berry & Pickard on Brooks?

OUman
02-17-2008, 07:15 PM
lol, poor guy! you mean between Berry & Pickard on Brooks?

yep, where Brooks goes down at a 45 degree angle and comes up at pretty much the same angle. But that was when my bag used to be full of 150-page books and other junk. Now that I'm taking lighter loads I might re-try Brooks again. Thing is though Boyd (unfortunately) is pretty much a straight-in, straight-out route in/out route for me between home and campus.

Dekoung
02-18-2008, 03:13 PM
i kind of doubt that Lindsey could be 4 laned beginning at Berry going east because of the houses along there. I know that Dr Cross' house on Lindsey between Berry and Pickard has recently been finished and he probably checked on the 4 lane possibility before building his very large home. There are also homes at Pickard and Lindsey which I think the owners would put up a fight in a widening issue. Always eminent domain ala Boone Pickens U. :)

As for the Brooks question I have no answer and really had not noticed anything but will now take a look.

OUman
02-22-2008, 09:38 AM
^Can't edit my previous response but it's not the one between Berry and Pickard, it's the one between Mooreland and Oklahoma. Sorry about that! But yeah, I was exaggrating a little about the "hill" angle (it's actually a depression Brooks runs over-the hill parts come when you climb up either direction).