View Full Version : Why not drink at 18?

PUGalicious
06-02-2007, 03:11 PM
One former college president may prove very popular among students on college campuses around the country.

From the Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2007/06/01/why_not_drink_at_18?mode=PF):

MIDDLEBURY, Vt. -- John M. McCardell Jr., former president of Middlebury College , listens as the recent graduates who serve as residential advisers recount the excesses they've witnessed. They've accompanied students suffering alcohol poisoning to the hospital. They've stumbled on buckets of vomit and dealt with sexual assaults that involved alcohol.

After more than three decades at Middlebury, as history professor and provost and president, none of this is news to McCardell. What he wants to do about it might surprise some, however.

He wants to lower the drinking age to 18.

Here he is, in a lounge of the new athletic center, to talk about the nonprofit called Choose Responsibility that he recently established to push for just such a change.

McCardell has been on campus long enough to remember sharing wine with undergraduates at faculty-student gatherings when the drinking age was 18. He envisions adults modeling responsible drinking. He remembers the intoxicated 22-year-old student who died during his presidency in a drunk-driving crash, and talks of focusing on abuses of alcohol rather than consumption.

He proposes allowing states to pilot alcohol education programs for 18-to-20 year-olds who are out of high school and then issue so-called "drinking licenses" to young people who successfully complete the course. He faces a tough sell. Among his opponents are Mothers Against Drunk Driving and former Health, Education, and Welfare Secretary Joseph Califano.

"If binge drinking has never been worse, why do we think legal age 21 has been successful?" McCardell says. "Drinking is taking place in out-of-sight places and in settings that increase the risk of harm to the individuals who are consuming alcohol and anyone who finds themselves in their path. I think we can do better."

(more (http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2007/06/01/why_not_drink_at_18?mode=PF))

I've long contended that if you are old enough to serve in battle and old enough to elect our local, state and national leaders, you are old enough to legally consume adult beverages.

Karried
06-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Just hopefully old enough to NOT drink and drive.

PUGalicious
06-02-2007, 04:03 PM
There are 28-, 38-, 48- and 58-year-olds that don't seem old enough.

Karried
06-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Unfortunately that is so true and very sad.

I do tend to agree about asking young people to serve in the military and then refuse to allow them to purchase an alcoholic beverage.

the mole
06-02-2007, 07:27 PM
i, for medical reasons will never be able to really drink. nevertheless, as karried and so many other have said before, if you are old enough to lose a leg for your country, you are old enough to have a beer or two.

BailJumper
06-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Since I can't find a single positive reason - then I see no reason at all to lower the drinking age.

MadMonk
06-03-2007, 06:38 PM
One former college president may prove very popular among students on college campuses around the country.

From the Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2007/06/01/why_not_drink_at_18?mode=PF):I've long contended that if you are old enough to serve in battle and old enough to elect our local, state and national leaders, you are old enough to legally consume adult beverages.
I agree. Perhaps there could be an exception for those with military ID? Unfortunately, that might be used as a recruiting tool!

Karried
06-03-2007, 06:40 PM
lol - Recruitment Slogan

The Few, The Proud, The Inebriated

Midtowner
06-03-2007, 07:23 PM
I agree. Perhaps there could be an exception for those with military ID? Unfortunately, that might be used as a recruiting tool!

No doubt it would be.

TomGirl
06-03-2007, 07:50 PM
I remember when they changed the drinking age to 21, I was 16 and it was on my big sister's 18th birthday! She claimed that she didn't care, but I knew she was furious! hee...hee!

PUGalicious
06-04-2007, 04:04 AM
It would be effective too for some unfortunate souls.

PUGalicious
06-04-2007, 04:06 AM
I remember when they changed the drinking age to 21, I was 16 and it was on my big sister's 18th birthday! She claimed that she didn't care, but I knew she was furious! hee...hee!
That's usually how my luck runs too! Just about when you're eligible for something, the rules change and you have to wait longer! I bet you that those three extra years she had to wait seemed like an eternity, huh?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-06-2007, 05:18 AM

It used to be 18 to drink on-base. Then it went to something strange like: If the base was in was within (or within 30 minutes drive of) another state or country where the legal drinking age was below 21, then the drinking age on that base would be 18...Otherwise, it was 21.

Luckily, by the time they raised the drinking age on all bases to 21, I was 21. :D

I still agree with you though...If a person can plop a military ID on the counter at 7-11, he should be able to buy that 11 pack of Coors.

Dark Jedi
06-07-2007, 08:06 AM

I chased it in Texas. 18, then 19, then 21.