View Full Version : Meeting someone on the internet

Patrick
11-17-2004, 11:08 PM
Okay, I want everyone's opinion here. What do you think of meeting other singles on the internet and arranging dates based off internet relationships? Do internet relationships really work? What do you think of online matchmaking services like Yahoo personals and Match.com? Is it really that hard to find a date in today's society? I'm curious to hear your opinions.

Midtowner
11-18-2004, 09:06 AM
I think people today are less likely to put themselves in situations where they frequently get to interact with members of the opposite sex. Many of us have substituted email, virtual conferencing, computre programs, etc. for interaction with actual people in the workplace and at home.

It seems only natural to meet people through the technology we have.

I did it once. Wasn't that bad. Was really no different than any of the other girls I dated in college. Being in a fraternity, frequent contact with members of the opposite sex in social settings was never an issue ;) but less people are doing those kinds of things these days.

So it makes sense. My only advice is to be careful (that's more advice for women than men). Meet in a public place. Check the person out extremely well before you get into situations where you're alone with the person. It doesn't hurt to plug ther name into a docket search on oscn.net.

Ms.Relaxationstation
11-18-2004, 09:14 AM
Interesting question......

As a recently single woman having been married for many years, dating is quite different than it was 15 years ago. These days if I go out to a bar/club it seems like men are only interested in one thing- Who they are going to take home for the night. I'm not much into the bar scene anymore like I am not into one night stands. I think the internet provides the oppurtunity to meet people in the comfort of your own home. I think I once told a friend of mine, " You can meet someone, talk, get to know them, and practically have sex without even leaving the room." LOL Seriously, I have met some people and although there are some freaky people out there and you have to be careful, overall I think I feel better about talking to someone and getting to know them BEFORE making the effort of going out to meet them. So, in my opinion, it has opened up oppurtunities for me to meet someone that I might not have otherwise ever crossed paths with.

Ms.Relaxationstation
11-18-2004, 09:17 AM
One more thing...Yes it is had to find a date when I work in an enviroment where the only men I meet are married and bringing their kids to piano lessons. Like I mentioned before, I'm not into the bar scene, all the men at church are too young or too old, and 7-11 just isn't working out. LOL

Patrick
11-18-2004, 11:30 AM
relaxationstation....try Conoco! lol!

Anyways, my two cents on this topic. I met my fiancee in high school, so obviously I've never done the internet thing, but I wouldn't be opposed to it. In fact, I've looked at Match.com a few times just to see what it was all about, and I think it actually allows a seeker to get a pretty good idea about the qualities of the people that post personal ads there. There are some pretty personal questions asked there. Anyways, the profile questions on Math.com ask a lot more than you'd probably ever be able to find out on a first date with someone you didn't know.

So, in summary, I'm all for internet dating. I'd consider it if I were still at the dating stage.

mranderson
11-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Meeting online is two fold. I have met a woman I first encountered online, and was really not impressed. For some reason, she laid tracks (she left without explination).

Many of them will not give you a reason they do not want to see you. That is not fair. If a person does not know of a problem, how can they solve it? These people who do not tell you why they do not want to stay in touch are rude.

That nearly one hundred bucks I spent for Yahoo was a waste of money. I do better on THIS site.

dirtrider73068
11-18-2004, 07:08 PM
Ya online dating is pretty neat can meet someone with out have to meet them in person til you are ready. But most of the online date sites cost money and some are expensive. That eharmony cost 50 buxs a month for basic. I did find one that is a totaly free site to message others. Its called mingles.com.

1adam12
11-18-2004, 09:18 PM
I don't see anything wrong with meeting somebody over the internet, just as long as you meet them in a public place first, never in a private place. Never, ever, give them your address and phone number the first time you meet them because you really don't know what their motives are.

If you start dating them, get to know them real well before you pass on any personal information to them. I still think the best place to meet singles is at a church activity or by the word of mouth by another friend. The bar scene is completely out because there are two many things that can go wrong when you pick someone up at a bar.

Underling
12-25-2004, 03:37 PM
I've had both good and bad experiences with dating from the internet. Had a relationship that lasted a good 6 months once thanks to the internet.

But I haven't even attempted in the last year...as someone said earlier, all the free sites are gone now and it seems like you have to pay exorbitant amounts of money...so I'm back to the drawing board. Hate clubs...and don't have any other medium to meet people. So, I'm using the internet to make more friends right now. A wider net of friends you can trust increases the likelihood of hearing "Man...did I find the right one for you!" from a friend.

windowphobe
12-26-2004, 07:17 PM
I've been online twenty years, and I'd guesstimate that at least 100 people I'd seen on screen I eventually met in person, scattered across a dozen states. I expect this pattern to continue indefinitely.

oklacity75
12-27-2004, 01:00 AM
Internet dating has its pros and cons in my opinion. The biggest problem with online dating is that many people see it as a shortcut to a perfect relationship. When in all actuality it’s just another place to meet people.

The person who post the ad must sale themselves in order to get people to reply. When your ad sounds more like a conversation with your shrink people will most likely not reply. Sure you want to be honest about who you are, however, you have plenty of time to present your excess baggage later. Every male should be aware the numbers are against you, for every female listed in the personals there are at least 25 males. In other words make your ad stand out from the rest.

To write the best ad you must be honest, sincere and focus on your good qualities. Do not expect the perfect person to reply. Perfect people do not exist. Why is that you ask? People are human. Story book romances only happen in the movies and when fate is a factor.

When you reply to a personal ad, be prepared to be rejected at anytime. Do not let rejection control your social life. Its not always you, it could be a whole array of reasons for the rejection. Most of the reasons have nothing to do with you. Besides do really want to be with someone who is not attracted to you. (No of course not)

In my opinion the hardest part of dating is keeping your confidence in check. Eventually you will figure out what you’re doing right and what you’re doing wrong.

I used to be focused on getting the second date and so on. When I finally relaxed and let fate take its course, my dating life improved almost overnight.

prerunner1982
01-03-2005, 02:04 PM
me and my wife met online, we didnt meet for the "right" reasons, but we ended up in love and married within a year. We have been married well over a year and are still very happy. Like they say, you find love when you arent looking for it. Thats exactly what happened to us. We me not looking to date.. haha.. but fell in love.

mom2des_n_nate
01-03-2005, 02:26 PM
to quote prerunner1982 you find love when you aren't looking for it.. That is definetly true I actually met my husband 6 years ago off KJ-103 from a thing they had called the pager party. I called and put my pager number on the air as part of a bet and 6 years later I am married to a really great guy we have had our hard times we are currently seperated do to being so hard times we were having I cheated on him but we are working things out. But like they say if its ment to be it will..

mranderson
01-04-2005, 06:07 AM
I remember when I was 21, KTOK had a talk program called "Heart line." It was a program where people would call in with what they were looking for and listeners could call in another line and give information for that person to contact them. You had to register and be approved to be on the air or to call for a referal. You were given a membership number. The late Lou Staples was the host. (fyi, Lou killed himself not long after the program was canceled)

I met some interesting women from that program, and wish it was still on the air. If for no other reason, it was interesting to listen to these people. You had everything from the little old lady who opened with the line "I'm so lonely," to the pervert who was looking for a fast sex partner.

On line is fine. I have said before, I have more luck on OKC talk than with the personals. I have chatted with many women via the personals and most chat for a couple of times then move on. They do not understand that it takes time to make a decision to meet. I met one and she never let me know why she did not want to meet again, so, I have given up on personals. I will look, but not respond unless they respond to me. Usually, it is a polite no thank you with a reasonable explanation. I will seldom ignore a reply. It is rude to ignore someone who took the time to respond to you.

What I reccomend if you reply and do not like them. Find a realistic reason to say no. Do not ignore the reply. Do not just say no, "I am already seeing someone," or anything like that. If you are seeing someone, then why is your ad still running? If the person is too large or ugly, try to be kind. I use three. If she is under my age bracket, I will tell her I am looking for someone closer to my age. If she is over my bracket, I will tell her I get along better with younger people (both true). In the bracket? Well, that one is tougher. I will always find something I feel is appropriate.

In short, if you use the personals and do not want to pursue the person, tell them. Tell them why. Even if you meet. It may be a problem the person does not realize they have. And if it is, how can they correct it unless they know about it. Maybe they will appreciate you for it.