View Full Version : Police Impersonator OKC

Karried
06-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Just last week, I was watching a special. It discussed two separate women who were driving home alone late at night after work. They were being pulled over by police officers, neither had a cell phone and were afraid to stop on a dark deserted road. Both put on their hazard flashers.. both slowed down and drove slowly home...with the officers following them, trying to get them to pull over.

Both were arrested, one served jail time.

It was so sad, the older woman was crying and saying she had been terrified to stop because she knew of imposters.. one judge was nice, the other woman was sentenced her to jail.

As a woman, I would be scared to death to pull over as well. The best advice I've heard is to call 911 and say, I'm being pulled over by a police officer, can you verify that he is legitimate?

Keep an eye out for this guy:
Two report brushes with fake police officer

By Augie Frost
Staff Writer

Oklahoma City police are searching for an impostor. And in at least one case, he scared off three men who were allegedly raping a woman early Wednesday near Lake Overholser.

The woman told police she was abducted about 10 p.m. Tuesday by three Hispanic males who were driving a white sport utility vehicle near NW 16 and May.
She was taken to a secluded area on the southwest side of the lake, where she says she was raped by the men, according to a police report.
About 1 a.m. Wednesday, an approaching police car ended the attack, the woman told investigating officers.
The woman got in the front seat of what she thought was a patrol car. The man driving was wearing an Oklahoma City police uniform, she said.
The car was painted black and white, and equipped with red and blue emergency lights on top and flashing headlights.
On the side, the woman read: Oklahoma City Police.
According to the woman, the man's car was equipped with a radio, which the woman said she found odd because the officer never radioed for assistance.
The woman said the man dropped her off at a convenience store at NW 10 and County Line Road, telling her he was going to look for the suspects' vehicle.
When she returned to her home about 3 a.m. after getting a ride from the convenience store, she called police to tell them what had happened.
Oklahoma City police concluded the woman's savior was an impostor.
"It was completely by chance that he was there during the attack,” police Capt. Steve McCool said.
About 24 hours later, Angela Scott, 28, was pulled over on Interstate 40 at Mustang Road for having a tail light out on her truck, she said.
The man who stopped her was dressed in a blue or gray shirt and dark pants, similar to what city officers wear, Scott said. He asked for her license and insurance and appeared to run them through a computer.
Then he began to search Scott's truck, but never asked permission, she said. She was in the middle of moving, so she had several bags of clothing, a high chair for her son, a crib and a tub full of stuffed animals, among other things.
"He went through all my trash bags, ripped them open and threw my clothes in a puddle of water,” Scott said. "He opened my son's Rubbermaid tub and he looked through it, but there was just stuffed animals in it, so he closed the lid. I don't know what he was looking for.”
It was at that point she knew something was wrong.
‘It was bizarre'
After about two hours, the man handed the woman her driver's license and insurance and told her he was letting her off with a warning, Scott said.
"It was bizarre,” she said.
Police think both incidents involved the same man because the women gave similar descriptions of him and the car he was in. The rape victim said he was about 5 feet 10 inches tall, weighed about 180 pounds and had blond hair.
Scott described him as about 6 feet tall, with blond hair cut military-style. She said he was about 32 to 35 years old, McCool said.
She also said he had a name tag that read "Wright” on it. He also gave her a badge number, which McCool said is not even close to the badge numbers used by his department. McCool said this case is different than most because an impostor usually will make sexual advances to people they encounter. And most of the time, they will frisk the victim, which apparently did not happen in either of the reported cases.

jbrown84
06-01-2007, 09:02 AM
That is bizarre.

Misty
06-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Yes it is, but at least he isn't handcuffing them and using his taser 5 times. Now that would be horrible. Oh wait, that's what our REAL cops do.

oSutrooper
06-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Yes it is, but at least he isn't handcuffing them and using his taser 5 times. Now that would be horrible. Oh wait, that's what our REAL cops do.

That was out of line not knowing all the facts from out there

Midtowner
06-02-2007, 07:18 AM
That was out of line not knowing all the facts from out there

What are some facts which would justify this? After someone is handcuffed, can a competent police officer not control that person? I think Misty's post is basically to say that while what this guy did was pretty bad and pretty illegal, cops get away with worse. I have great respect for the Highway Patrol. You guys do a terrific job -- particularly intercepting drugs. I've never met an unprofessional highway patrol officer.

However, city cops are a whole new ballgame. The arbitration board is out of control. They need to be reigned in.

oSutrooper
06-02-2007, 07:36 PM
What are some facts which would justify this? After someone is handcuffed, can a competent police officer not control that person? I think Misty's post is basically to say that while what this guy did was pretty bad and pretty illegal, cops get away with worse. I have great respect for the Highway Patrol. You guys do a terrific job -- particularly intercepting drugs. I've never met an unprofessional highway patrol officer.

However, city cops are a whole new ballgame. The arbitration board is out of control. They need to be reigned in.

I understand your point but the public is looking a a video that if grainy and with no audio, and an attorney that has been out to get officers for as long as I can remember. So before judgment is passed all the facts should be put out there for al to see. I think when the medical examiner report is put out there that will help clear some of the air on this as well

Karried
06-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Nice to see a law enforcement officer on board. Do you have information about what to do if someone is driving home alone at night? What does the department recommend? Are you Highway Patrol for OKC?

Do you have any other info on the taser incident that the public doesn't have and you can disclose?

Thanks for sharing.

oSutrooper
06-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Nice to see a law enforcement officer on board. Do you have information about what to do if someone is driving home alone at night? What does the department recommend? Are you Highway Patrol for OKC?

Do you have any other info on the taser incident that the public doesn't have and you can disclose?

Thanks for sharing.
I work for the city in dispatch but Im a former police officer from other town, just waiting my turn to get on here. I am also trying for the highway patrol just to clear the air.

As for the tazer incident I cant tell you any more than what the press says.. I just hope that it clear soon for the morale of the guys and gals on the street. They work hard everyday and it is not easy for them when something like this happens and the public needs to be behind them until the facts come out.

I'm not trying to cause trouble I'm just asking that we not pass judgement on these guys until all the facts are out.

As for driving home at night or in the day time, we tell people that if they have any doubts of the person that is pulling you over is NOT a police officer call 911 and we can check to see if the person is an officer or not. Since this has happend call volume is up and they have been lots of possible sightings.

Misty
06-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Hey, I come from a law enforcement family. There are a lot of good cops, and there are a lot of bad cops. The thing that I hate is anytime a bad cop does something, the "brotherhood" stands behind them regardless of if they are wrong or right. I've seen it a million times. Anyway, I don't want to get into a huge heated debate so in the words of my favorite scene from Super Troopers MEOW! I love that movie.

Midtowner
06-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Trooper, I'm guessing you've probably had a bit of training on as to what constitutes excessive force.

In your opinion, what hypothetical situation could ever give rise to tasering a handcuffed suspect five times? i just can't imagine such a scenario.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Trooper, I'm guessing you've probably had a bit of training on as to what constitutes excessive force.

In your opinion, what hypothetical situation could ever give rise to tasering a handcuffed suspect five times? i just can't imagine such a scenario.

You've never been between me and a box of Cheeze-Its.

Misty
06-05-2007, 09:13 AM
You've never been between me and a box of Cheeze-Its.

You always make me laugh out loud and spit my beverage out! Too funny MEOW. I got up at 1:00 A.M. and ate a bowl of Booberry. I almost have to cuff and taser my cat to eat in peace.

oSutrooper
06-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Hey, I come from a law enforcement family. There are a lot of good cops, and there are a lot of bad cops. The thing that I hate is anytime a bad cop does something, the "brotherhood" stands behind them regardless of if they are wrong or right. I've seen it a million times. Anyway, I don't want to get into a huge heated debate so in the words of my favorite scene from Super Troopers MEOW! I love that movie.

I was not trying to start a heated debate but now that I look and what I posted I guess it could have been taken that way

As for your question, It depends on the circumstances. Just cause they are in cuffs doesn't mean that they cant hurt you. I have seen people in cuffs try to fight in the back of a scout car. Without saying what I think in regards to the case at hand I cant say, I wasn't there and havent talk to anyone that was involved in it so I'm not going to say. A lot of it comes down to the officer and what they think is necessary.

Midtowner
06-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Actually trooper, what the officer thinks is necessary and what is actually necessary are two different things.

As I said, regardless of factual guilt or innocence, what the arbitration board will do is pretty much a foregone conclusion anyhow.

oSutrooper
06-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Actually trooper, what the officer thinks is necessary and what is actually necessary are two different things.

As I said, regardless of factual guilt or innocence, what the arbitration board will do is pretty much a foregone conclusion anyhow.

Ill agree with you on that. I have seen videos and if I find it Ill post it where an officer is faced with a male that is off his med and is seeing things. After a routine traffic stop the man gets out of the car with a shotgun and walks back and is putting the shells in it. The officer tells the man 5-6 times to drop the weapon and never fired a shot at him unitl the man fired. The officer ends up dead and the male gets in his pickup and leaves.

I just want to make it clear that I haven't made my mind up on what happened. I am waiting to see all the facts

Had it been me, I would like to say that I wouldnt have done that but without being there and seeing what was going on that caused this to it is really hard to say, if that makes any sense.

Midtowner
06-05-2007, 09:10 PM
It absolutely does. I can respect that you wouldn't want to jump to conclusions.

My guess is, though, as it always does, the department will review the video and find that there was no problem. If they did admit there was a problem, they'd basically be opening themselves up to a huge civil rights claim -- that would be stupid.

They probably just want this to go away.

There will most certainly be a lawsuit. There will also likely be an out of court settlement for a pretty decent chunk of change and this cop, whether he's guilty or not will continue on in basically the same position except that his prospects for advancement will probably be pretty grim.