View Full Version : Best Hummus in town?

AFCM
05-31-2007, 12:34 AM
It's not often I go to restaurants just because of an appetizer, but I'm absolutely craving Hummus.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

aboatman
05-31-2007, 09:11 AM
Red Cup (32nd and Western?) - Great flavor
Mediterranean Deli (52nd and May?)- for sale in the to go case, excellent

OkieKAS
05-31-2007, 09:35 AM
The BEST Hummus Recipe

YIELD: About four cups, or six-to-eight servings

1 cup dried chickpeas

1 cup tahina

1/2 cup lemon juice, or to taste

2 cloves garlic, or to taste

1 teaspoon salt

Freshly ground pepper to taste

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons pine nuts

Dash of paprika or sumac

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or cilantro

1. Put the raw chickpeas in a bowl with cold water to cover and soak overnight.

2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then place them in a heavy pot with enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, then simmer, partially covered, for about an hour or until the chickpeas are soft and the skin begins to separate. Add more water as needed.

3. Drain the chickpeas, reserving about 1-1/2cups of the cooking liquid. Set aside 1/4cup of the cooked chickpeas for garnish. In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, process the remaining chickpeas with the tahina, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and at least 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking liquid. If the hummus is too thick, add more reserved cooking liquid or water until you have a paste-like consistency.

4. Heat a frying pan and add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Spread the pine nuts in the pan and stir-fry, browning on all sides.

5. To serve, transfer the hummus to a large, flat plate, and with the back of a spoon make a slight depression in the center. Drizzle the remaining olive oil on top and sprinkle the reserved chickpeas, pine nuts, paprika or sumac, and parsley or cilantro over the surface.

6. Serve with cut-up raw vegetables and warm pita cut into wedges

NOTE: You can also add cayenne pepper to the hummus. Sometimes leftover hummus tends to thicken just add some water to make it the right consistency.

OkieKAS
05-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Eddy's Steak House
4227 N Meridian
Hummus Tahini is a made from ground garbanzos, tahini (crushed sesame seeds), lemon juice, vegetable oil and seasonings.

===================================
Another recipe:

Hummus with Spicy Lamb

(Start to finish 25 minutes)

Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained

1/3 cup sesame tahini

Juice of 1 lemon (about

1/4 cup)

1/3 cup water

2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced

1/2 teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 small yellow onion, diced

1/4 teaspoon allspice

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon freshly

ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon crushed red
pepper flakes

1/2 pound ground lamb

1 tablespoon finely
chopped fresh parsley

2 teaspoons smoked
paprika

Fresh pita bread

Combine the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, water, garlic, cumin and salt in a food processor and pulse until chunky smooth, about 10 to 15 seconds. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over a medium-high flame. Add the onion, allspice, cinnamon and both peppers. Saute until onion is tender, about 4 minutes.

Add the lamb and saute until browned, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Spoon the hummus into a wide, shallow bowl, making a well in the center. Garnish the hummus with parsley and paprika.

Use a slotted spoon to transfer the lamb, draining the fat, into the well. Serve with fresh pita.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

=========================================
Really EASY HUMMUS recipe:

1 can chickpeas
2 tablespoons tahini
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
3 large cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil

Directions:

Place all ingredients into a large food processor and blend until smooth and fluffy.

Serve with toasted flat bread or pita.

Preparation time: about 15 minutes
=========================================

escan
05-31-2007, 09:58 AM
I was going to suggest Eddie's. It's wonderful!

AFCM
05-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Thank you for those suggestions!

foodiefan
05-31-2007, 02:41 PM
Med Deli, Med Deli, Med Deli. . . absolutely tops!! Easiest to get into going South on May Avenue. . .turn in at the light at the Russell Stover's shop at about 56th (the address is actually 5620 N May). Also try the baba ganoush. . . I actually like it better than the hummus. And. . . . .their cheeses are to die for. . .

CCOKC
05-31-2007, 07:58 PM
I really like the hummus at Zorba's on 46th or so and N. May. They should be moving to there new location at 63rd and May soon.

metro
05-31-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm not big on hummus but its not bad either. I hear Eddy's on Meridian and NW 37th or so is notoriously famous for their Lebanese appetizers and their steaks. They've been around for like 40 years so it must be good. There is also a Mediterranean place in Bethany around NW 23rd between Rockwell and Council on the south side of the road that has good hummus, tabouli, etc.

blitz00taz
04-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Zorbas it has really good hummus

FritterGirl
04-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Olive Branch at Sheridan and Hudson across the street north from Stage Center.

Thick, smooth, creamy, just enough tang with a hint of paprika and olive oil on top. It's served with fresh, WARM pita. Absolutely divine.

I like to refer to it as BHE - Best Hummus Ever.

doglover
04-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Try NuNu's Mediterranean Cafe and Market. The hummus is outstanding, made fresh and served as an appetizer or with other dishes. It is a new restaurant located on Memorial Road just west of May Ave near Starbucks. The rest of the menu is great also with many different Lebanese foods offered.
I suggest trying it out!!!!!!!

citizenkane
04-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Try NuNu's Mediterranean Cafe and Market. The hummus is outstanding, made fresh and served as an appetizer or with other dishes. It is a new restaurant located on Memorial Road just west of May Ave near Starbucks. The rest of the menu is great also with many different Lebanese foods offered.
I suggest trying it out!!!!!!!

I tried the hummus at NuNu's a few weeks back, but I thought it was quite bland. In my opinion, Mediterranean Deli's is the most balanced, flavorful hummus in town.

jungllejane
07-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Medi Deli takes the cake!! Also try the Middle Eastern Platter.. WONDERFUL!

jbkrems
07-12-2008, 05:21 PM
The Wedge on Western has a great red bell pepper hummus.

foy0613
07-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Zorba's and The Wedge are my two favorites. Different from one another. If you are craving some dill rice and veggies/chicken to go with it, go to Zorba's...if you are craving a yummy pizza or gourmet salad, try The Wedge.

OKCMallen
07-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Blu in Norman.

Easy180
05-23-2015, 01:29 PM
Just tried out Hummus Mediterranean Cafe in Moore. The ground beef hummus was good but we really enjoyed the jalapeņo hummus. The chicken kebab was excellent as well so we will be back.

tfvc.org
05-23-2015, 02:42 PM
I have to third or fourh the hummus at the Med market. I buy a couple pounds of it and a pound of mixed pitted olives and make my own olive hummus with it and eat it as a snack every day at work. The veggie sampler platter is really good too.

Basils on NW 23rd is my second pick, and The Mediterranean Grill on 78th and S Western would be my third pick for hummus. In Norman Ole Town Gyros is my pick. I don't think anyone in the metro makes their own pita however, it is all bought in, but The Mediterranean Grill tastes pretty darned good, Basils will give you more than enough bread, everyone else you are having to order and pay for more.

foodiefan
05-23-2015, 03:28 PM
I believe Sweiss on NW 22nd/May makes/bakes their own pita. . .fresh on Tues/Thurs I think. . .

jbkrems
05-23-2015, 09:29 PM
Pub W has a great roasted red pepper hummus!