View Full Version : Summer Plans?

Karried
05-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Who is doing what this summer?

We're staying semi 'local' this year (opposed to going out of the country). Going to Cedar Point for a week in Ohio to ride the roller coasters and meeting friends and family who are driving cross country. Pretty low key this year. We had a cruise planned with some family members but it fell through because of conflicting travel dates ..so Ohio here we come.. good thing I'm a coaster fanatic.

So far, that's about it.

What plans do you have for a summer vacation?

PUGalicious
05-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Summer vacation? Vacation??? What's that?

It's nose to the grindstone for me, my wife AND my daughters... (I love Oklahoma's labor laws when it comes to owner's children)...

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-31-2007, 04:04 AM
Being single with no dependents and a modest amount of disposable income has some advantages.

Like taking more than one vacation a year. :D

I went to Santa Barbara about a week and a half ago to dip my toes in the ocean and relax. I hit SoCal at least once per year for a few days and I usually snowboard once a year (I have a few friends in Denver) too. But those are usually just a two or 3 day trip. I haven't taken a real vacation in two years...And that was to Jamaica.

This year, I'm thinking I need to go get tanked in Ireland.

bandnerd
05-31-2007, 05:44 AM
Well, I'm thinking about joining UCO's summer band...it's open to anyone who plays an instrument...and I have my Journalism Institute in July. I'm house-sitting for my sister next week, but other than that, it's all open.

I plan on really cleaning the apartment, my classroom, and I have a lot of work to do at the school, so it's really a working summer for me :P

NE Oasis
05-31-2007, 06:42 AM
My Summer- It's all about the projects.
Finish turning front yard into nothing but flower beds, figure out how to make an arbor out of discarded tree limbs (thanks to HGTV), and rermove a raised bed that's no longer wanted.
I do have plans for a relaxing motorcycle trip or two, maybe Dodge City and somewhere in New Mexico.

Midtowner
05-31-2007, 07:03 AM
Summer skewl.

Easy180
05-31-2007, 07:06 AM
Well the biggest thing this summer is I am finally going to lose my job...Been a 2 year process getting our dept moved down to Dallas...Be weird looking for a job outside the bank after 12 years with them

Gonna hit Cancun for a week after I'm finally done in August

Also going on short trips to two music festivals Wakarusa in KS and Austin City Limits festival for my annual dudes only trip

And I guess polishing up my resume :Smiley247

Intrepid
05-31-2007, 07:32 AM
I'm hoping to go to St. Louis in August to see the Cardinals-Dodgers play. Just depends on $$$.

I'll also be taking another online class thru OCCC in an effort to complete my Associate's Degree in December.

Other than that, I'll be working and spending time with my daughter in the pool!

kmf563
05-31-2007, 07:40 AM
Who is doing what this summer?

We're staying semi 'local' this year (opposed to going out of the country). Going to Cedar Point for a week in Ohio to ride the roller coasters and meeting friends and family who are driving cross country. Pretty low key this year. We had a cruise planned with some family members but it fell through because of conflicting travel dates ..so Ohio here we come.. good thing I'm a coaster fanatic.

So far, that's about it.

What plans do you have for a summer vacation?

Oh I am sooo jealous. This is one of my favorite coaster places! My first coaster ever was the magnum here - wow. I hope you have a fantastic time!!

As for me - vacation, what is that? We had a grand vacation the last two years. I think this year we will just go camping or visit some caverns. Something small and simple close to home.

CuatrodeMayo
05-31-2007, 08:05 AM
Well...pretty much I have to provide my portion of the family income.

As far as vacations go, I have no spectacular plans. We are staying at the Skirvin Friday night. I am also planning on taking a couple of weekend camping trips to some of my favorite places in the state. The rest of my plans involve day trips to go mountain biking with the brothers.

I would love to take a return trip to Fitton Cave in AR to do some caving.

If we can manage to save some money, we might take a trip to the east or west coast before school starts...maybe.

I too have projects planned as well.

1. CV and portfolio
2. Learn Flash animation
3. Freelance design work
4. Fixing up my wife's Camry and my truck
5. Other stuff that I can't think of off the top of my head.

This is my last summer...I need to make the best of it.

jbrown84
05-31-2007, 08:40 AM
No big plans. My family may be taking a short trip to Austin/San Antonio, but that's up in the air. There's a 90% chance I will be moving downtown next month, so that's kind of big. And I will be going backpacking in Colorado over Labor Day weekend if that counts.

PUGalicious
05-31-2007, 09:11 AM
There's a 90% chance I will be moving downtown next month, so that's kind of big.
I'm jealous! Once my girls are off to college, we may look at moving downtown as well, but that's still a few years down the road.

Easy180
05-31-2007, 09:47 AM
Me too...But no can do cause of having two furry sons

PUGalicious
05-31-2007, 09:49 AM
No pets allowed downtown?

Easy180
05-31-2007, 09:56 AM
Not ones that go thru a doggie door to do their business outside day and night

Way too lazy to walk them outside every time

escan
05-31-2007, 10:01 AM
We'll be selling our excellently located house (close to the Western Ave. district).
:( Then finalizing our purchase on a loft in downtown Wichita and completing our move. While I am excited about the prospect of loft living, I'm sad to be leaving OKC and our house. Shameless plug.....if you want a new house, I know where you can get one! :)

Misty
05-31-2007, 10:09 AM
Nice to see a few of you are thinking about moving downtown! Urban Neighbors needs committee volunteers if anyone is interested, you don't have to be a downtown resident to serve on a committee.

In June I'm going to Austin to spend a week on Lake Travis on my much missed boat. Possibly Austin City Limits music festival in September. My boyfriend keeps mentioning some place called Beavers Bend that he wants to camp at so maybe that as well.

Misty
05-31-2007, 10:10 AM
Oh yeah, Easy180 there is a woman that is thinking about opening a doggie day care downtown, that might make downtown living an option for you.

Karried
05-31-2007, 10:36 AM
escan! We'll miss you!

But take heart.. Wichita has a Dairy Queen.

Hopefully, you'll stay on board and visit often.

jbrown84
05-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Nice to see a few of you are thinking about moving downtown! Urban Neighbors needs committee volunteers if anyone is interested, you don't have to be a downtown resident to serve on a committee.

I've actually put down a deposit to reserve a studio in the Park Harvey. It's contingent on a raise that I should be getting in the next few weeks. I would love to serve on a committee.

CuatrodeMayo
05-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Does Park Harvey have a website? I can't seem to find one.

PUGalicious
05-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Not ones that go thru a doggie door to do their business outside day and night

Way too lazy to walk them outside every time
I see... well ours don't do that now, so it's no loss for us.

PUGalicious
05-31-2007, 10:56 AM
But take heart.. Wichita has a Dairy Queen.
mmmmmm... Dairy Queen... escan is SO lucky. I miss Dairy Queen.

escan
05-31-2007, 11:07 AM
I don't get the whole "Dairy Queen" allure. Help me understand! I AM excited about walking everywhere.....restaurants, bars, movies, etc. Wichita is a great little city, but it IS little. However, sometimes you don't get to choose when/where they move you! I'll still be around here...OKC is home!
Sherie

PUGalicious
05-31-2007, 11:53 AM
I don't get the whole "Dairy Queen" allure. Help me understand!
I cannot explain it. It's an intangible love affair. Some of it could be that I grew up with Dairy Queen being a special treat and it's tied to many special memories. But absolutely love their Peanut Buster Parfait! mmmmmmmmmmmm... Peanut Buster Parfait... (drooling)

jbrown84
05-31-2007, 11:56 AM
Does Park Harvey have a website? I can't seem to find one.

The URL I've seen just takes you to the Gardner-Tannenbaum site, which has nothing on the Park Harvey.

Misty
05-31-2007, 12:14 PM
The Park Harvey (http://www.theparkharvey.com/)

There's not much on it.

CuatrodeMayo
05-31-2007, 12:20 PM
Well..at least it has nice graphics.

I'm one of those people who only call if I am extremely interested.

Misty
05-31-2007, 12:33 PM
I've heard they are really, really cute. The prices are great too. I think jbrown had previously posted that they are offering free utilities for 6 months or something as well. I have a floor plan price chart I can send to you if you want, just PM your e-mail or fax #.

jbrown84
05-31-2007, 01:29 PM
They finally got something up I guess. Yeah, the May special was half off utilities (normally $65) for the term of your lease.

CuatrodeMayo
05-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Utilities are $65 a month? If so, that's not too bad.

jbrown84
05-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Yeah.

Karried
05-31-2007, 08:55 PM
There was a recent poll and Wichita beat out OKC as one of the best places to relocate a family.. we were saying 'what does Wichita have that we don't"? and Dairy Queen was one thing they have and we don't.

Deni
06-02-2007, 12:21 AM
Going to Corpus the end of this month...

He has finally decided I am half way decent to marry...lol Yes I am getting married..

Oh lord watch our future hubby .... Poor guy dont know what he is getting himself into...

I think we are taking a family vacation/honeymoon cruise in November... My daughter turned sweet 16 so she aint a baby anymore..

oh yeah having some well deserved surgery done this summer so she can take care of mom...