View Full Version : OKC listed as No.5 metro to relocate a family

metro
05-29-2007, 08:45 PM
From the May 17th, Journal Record.

OKC- In a report released Wednesday, Oklahoma City was listed as the fifth best place in the nation in mid-sized metro areas to relocate a family.

Washington D.C. based Worldwide ERC the association for workforce mobility, and Primary Relocation, with headquarters in Memphis, partnered for the third year to compile the list.

Ranking factors included cost of living, crime rates, education, climate and each city's arts and cultural attractions when a family is looking to relocate.

Knoxville, Tenn. led the midsized category follo9wed by Wichita, Kan., Raleigh, NC; and Salt Lake City, Utah. The study defined midsized areas as those with a population between 575,000 and 1.25 million. Tulsa was ranked 10th in the midsized category.

In the large metro area category for relocation, defined as those having a population of more than 1.25 million, the combined Texas cities of Fort Worth and Arlington topped the list.

The Provo-Orem, Utah metro areas topped the list of small metro areas, or those with a population between 350,000 and 575,000.

Easy180
05-30-2007, 07:36 AM
Solid news there metro

jbrown84
05-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Wichita topped OKC and Tulsa?

JOHNINSOKC
05-30-2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah, that is exactly what I was thinking! How could Wichita rank ahead of OKC?
Again, OKC is borderline between mid-sized and large metro. It is good to see us ranked so high, though. Eventually, we will be so popular with families looking to relocate, that we will be number 1 in the large metro category.:)

Karried
05-30-2007, 06:56 PM
I know, what does Wichita have that we don't have?

JWil
05-30-2007, 07:01 PM
I know, what does Wichita have that we don't have?

The Coleman appliance museum. And Dairy Queen.

Karried
05-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Dairy Queen?

I'm moving to Wichita lol

AFCM
05-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Wichita has that funny, "I can't identify that smell", smell.

OKC will take the top spot in a few years. Maps for Kids is making OKC a very attractive place for families.

jbrown84
05-31-2007, 08:15 AM
Well I know that Wichita has the same problems with their inner city schools, and they don't have anything like MAPS for Kids. Their cost of living is way higher, and we all know that we have better quality of life here. Climate is considerably colder. Don't know about crime rate, though. That's all the factors they list.

metro
05-31-2007, 09:54 AM
Crime rate and education might be the factor.

jbrown84
05-31-2007, 10:35 AM
I know that Wichita has the same situation where nobody wants their kids in the Wichita schools so they move to Maize or Andover school districts. But their inner city districts still may not be as bad as OKC Public Schools.

Crime rate, I'm sure is lower, slightly.

Tim
05-31-2007, 10:40 AM
And they have Nu-Way burgers!

escan
05-31-2007, 11:15 AM
Their cost of living is WAY higher. I was amazed. For what we wanted to spend on a house, I could have had my dream house in Crown Heights, but in Wichita, we were left with crappy homes, that, while large, still needed renovation. SO, we took that money and bought an extremely overpriced, but tremendously cool and hip loft!

The inner city schools systems are a little better, but most people still move out or send their kids to private school.

That's my 2 cents, with spending every weekend there for the last 6 months.

jbrown84
05-31-2007, 11:43 AM
My grandparents built their house there for twice what it would cost in Edmond.