View Full Version : 2007 Food Stamp Challenge

jpeaceokc
05-29-2007, 02:39 PM
The Regional Food Bank is inviting folks to join the 2007 Food Stamp Challenge: pick a week in June, and feed yourself and your family for the week for $21/person (the average amount in food stamps received by 1 person). All food (including eating out) must be included. You can use spices and condiments you have on hand, but no other stored foods.

More info is online at http://www.hungerinoklahoma.org/fschallenge.php .

CuatrodeMayo
05-29-2007, 02:57 PM
That's cake...I'm in college!

jpeaceokc
05-29-2007, 03:08 PM
That's cake...I'm in college!

Rather than cake, I would have thought a college student would be on the "Ramen Diet".

kmf563
05-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Maybe the foodstamps should stop and they should sign them up for the Angel Food network instead. You get more food and they probably can't figure out a way to sell chicken to get non-food items.

John
05-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Can we trade food stamps for other products, too? ;)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-30-2007, 05:58 AM
I don't think $21 a week would cover a college person's beer.

Well...Unless they're drinking PBR.

BailJumper
05-30-2007, 06:08 AM
I didn't work hard all my life to see if I can survive on $21 a week.

I hate the corruption in food stamps locally. Imagine the millions we waste providing food to people who either trade it for drugs or spend it all on twinkies.

jpeaceokc
05-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I hate the corruption in food stamps locally. Imagine the millions we waste providing food to people who either trade it for drugs or spend it all on twinkies.

We can certainly imagine this, but I don't know if our imagination would coincide with reality. There's no doubt some corruption in the system, but there's also no doubt that food stamps are an important safety net for many people in this city and state.

And I think it is likely that the corruption in the various "corporate welfare" programs is much more extensive and costly to the taxpayers than the few food stamps recipients who manage to trade their food stamps for drugs. With the advent of the EBT cards, that isn't as easy as it used to be.

As to what they buy with their food stamps, I know a lot of people on food stamps and I am often amazed at how good they are at shopping and putting together frugal meals, often in limited kitchen circumstances.

Karried
05-30-2007, 07:44 PM
I remember saving for our first house... we ate Top Ramen for months on end.. Pork, Chicken, Oriental... Beef for special occasions.

$21 dollars a week? oooh... that's harsh. Eating out one day would blow that budget.

I do feel so much compassion for those struggling.

When I was young, my mom and dad divorced ( he was very abusive) and she was a single mom.. working two jobs. (he never paid a cent in support). I remember the sense of embarrassment when we had to use food stamps.. it felt like everyone was staring at us. They probably weren't but it was so humiliating.

I know my mom would have done everything in her power to have it different.

PUGalicious
05-30-2007, 09:19 PM
mmmmmm.... Ramen Noodles....... the staple of a college student's (and young married's) life.

John
05-31-2007, 01:48 AM
Here's a website with many many ramen recipes...

Dirt Cheap Ramen Noodle Recipes (http://www.budget101.com/ramen_noodle_recipes.htm)

kevinpate
05-31-2007, 05:40 AM
I canna imagine any notion that Ramen is primarily for the young or low on budget. A few packs of Ramen and a tad of imagination go a long way toward returning life to simple but fulfilling when busy tries to get the best of you.

Thanks for the recipe links too. The less we reinvent the wheel, the more time we have to enjoy the ride.

BailJumper
05-31-2007, 07:48 AM
We can certainly imagine this, but I don't know if our imagination would coincide with reality. There's no doubt some corruption in the system, but there's also no doubt that food stamps are an important safety net for many people in this city and state.

Yeah, maybe, but there are always a line of people in front of me at 7-11 with their Access Card and they aren't getting milk, eggs and cheese. They are getting Twinkies, soda and snacks. But, on the bright side, it always seems to allow them enough cash to buy their cigarettes!

I'm fine with food stamps on a VERY limited and restricted basis.