View Full Version : Why I enjoy riding the city bus

jpeaceokc
05-25-2007, 02:38 PM
As I was riding the bus to work today, I mused for a bit about how much I enjoy riding the bus. Often the exhortation -- "take the bus!" -- is sort of like our mothers lecturing us -- "Eat those green beans! They're good for you." Environmental virtue and piety are fine, but they aren't the only reasons to ride the city bus. So besides the obvious (fuel conservation, air pollution), here are five good reasons to ride the bus.

1. I never have enough time to just sit and read. Riding the bus gives me some extra time to catch up on magazines or the newspaper.

2. Often there are interesting occasional conversations among strangers on the bus. Today there was a lady who was riding the bus for the first time, and she got a little confused as to where to get off and noticed that about 2 stops beyond where she needed to get off. So she decided to just ride the bus around until it came by the stop she wanted on the return trip, and several of us had a nice conversation about riding the bus and how to get used to the details.

3. Riding the bus also gives me time to think. If I don't want to read or converse, I can just sit and think. Today, after reading my magazine, and having some conversation, I just sat and thought and watched the town go by outside the windows. One of the things I thought about was, "I should make a list of good things that happen when you ride the bus".

4. When I ride the bus, I arrive at work relaxed. When I drive, my blood pressure always goes up and I often arrive at work a bit tense. My route is generally up Northwest Expressway all the wy to Rockwell, and it is never a pleasant nor a relaxing drive (except on Sunday mornings before 7 AM). It is a 12 mile reminder of the failures of Oklahoma City's urban planners. No sidewalks. No bicycle lanes. No crosswalks.

5. I have a few blocks to walk to get to the bus stop, so I get a little exercise, and my doctor likes that a lot. So do I. I get a closeup view of my neighbors' flowers. I met a nice dog today (who, truthfully, was mostly interested I think in the aroma of the sandwiches in my pack).

Not everybody goes and comes in areas with bus service, so I understand not everybody can do this. I don't ride the bus to work everyday. Often I work evenings and can't ride the bus because I am finished after the last bus. Or I may need to run errands and pick up items going or coming. Riding the bus takes a bit of organization for me, as at the end of the bus line there is a 45 minute walk to my work, and so I have to arrange for someone to pick me up at the bus stop, which is rarely a problem. I hope the bus line eventually gets extended further north and west of its present stopping point (Lyrewood and Wilshire). I work on Sundays, when there is no bus service, and that's another expansion that would be good for the metro area..

So even though I can't ride the bus everyday, I enjoy the days when I do ride the bus to work. All this fun and you help save the planet too.

Bob Waldrop, OKC

CuatrodeMayo
05-25-2007, 02:43 PM
:yeahthat:

I ride OSU's bus system whenever I can and I have to agree with the above.

Misty
05-25-2007, 03:11 PM
I haven't had a chance to try OKC's bus system yet, but that's exactly how I felt when I rode in ATX. It is SO nice to see people in OKC that feel this way. I was curious who you are so I googled you. I dig your beard, it rocks.

Patrick
05-25-2007, 03:14 PM
For those that may not know, Bob engaged in a losing campaign against Mick Cornett

BobWaldrop.net - Bob Waldrop - The Common Sense and Common Good candidate for Mayor of Oklahoma City (http://www.bobwaldrop.net/)

jpeaceokc
05-25-2007, 03:47 PM
For the record, if I had actually been elected, I would certainly have demanded a recount.

jbrown84
05-25-2007, 03:53 PM
??

windowphobe
05-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Waldrop actually announced that during the race, which is probably why I voted for him. He's a quotable fellow: I once did a riff on his observation that "every year Oklahoma City looks more and more like a Victor Hugo novel."

dustbury.com: Saturday spottings (on the march) (http://www.dustbury.com/archives/006008.html)

jpeaceokc
05-27-2007, 03:25 PM
My goal in running for mayor was to have some impact on the public debate and point out what I feel are some options for the city that were being ignored. As far as I am concerned, I 'won' insofar as the public conversation on transportation issues is very different now than it was a few years ago. I accepted no campaign contributions, and my only expenditures were for the filing fee and for my website.

Also for the record, I was cheering on the mayor's campaign for Congress. Running for mayor was so much fun I wanted to do it again. I am not a Republican, so I couldn't vote for him in the primaries, although clearly this did not hurt him since my one vote would not have made much difference. (I am not a registered Democrat either, if anyone is curious about that.)

And yes, I still think Oklahoma City looks more and more like a Victor Hugo novel every year.

jpeaceokc
05-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Waldrop actually announced that during the race, which is probably why I voted for him. He's a quotable fellow: I once did a riff on his observation that "every year Oklahoma City looks more and more like a Victor Hugo novel."

dustbury.com: Saturday spottings (on the march) (http://www.dustbury.com/archives/006008.html)

Thanks for your vote! I will try not to disappoint you in the future on the "quotable" thing.