View Full Version : Disease called "progeria"

Keith
11-17-2004, 07:11 AM
This is a real touching story to me. It really shows the faith in God that this family has, despite all they have gone through.

Parents are glad for every day they have with son

By Ron Jackson
The Oklahoman

STILLWATER - Keith and Molly Moore see a lot when they gaze into the prominent blue eyes of their son, Zachary, 2. They see a playful lad who is as curious about the world as the world is about him.
More information

In many ways, they see a typical toddler - sometimes charming, sometimes bossy.

But mostly they see heaven.

“When I look into Zachary’s eyes, I feel like I’m looking into the eyes of God,” Keith Moore said Tuesday. “I feel humbled in his presence, and he weighs 10 pounds and I weigh 140. You know, I’m a Christian and I try to live a good Christian life. I’m 33 years old. But Zachary has done more of God’s work in two years than I have done in my 33 years.

“I’m pretty proud of that fact on Zachary’s behalf. No matter how his life might end, I’ll always be proud of that and I’ll always hold him open to anyone.”

Zachary has been diagnosed with progeria, a rare, fatal genetic condition characterized by accelerated aging in children. The disease is so rare that Zachary is one of only seven children in the United States diagnosed with progeria.

The Progeria Research Foundation provides another chilling fact: Children stricken with the disease often die of heart disease or stroke at an average age of 13. Doctors believe Zachary has an advanced form of progeria.

The Moores are unnerved by Zachary’s apparent fate - one they have left in God’s hands.

“We still have hope,” Molly Moore said. “If something were to come along that could give us another 20 years with him, we’d take it. But we don’t take any day for granted. We cherish every minute we have with our children because we don’t know when any of us will go.

“Zachary has strengthened our faith.”

At home, Zachary mingles freely with his four siblings - Lindsay, 12; Courtney, 8; Derek, 7; and Heidi, 9 months. In fact, he blends in so well, they have nicknamed him, the Boss.

Still, Zachary’s physical differences are numerous. Despite his age, he weighs only 10 pounds and is 23 inches in length. He can’t walk or crawl, and his tiny bone structure, oversized head and curved spine make it hard for him to sit up on his own for long periods of time.

So he scoots across the floor, seemingly unaware of his disability.

Therein perhaps lies his greatest gift.

“He’s taught me to be more gentle,” Courtney said of her younger brother. “I think you should treat people the way you want to be treated, even if they are different.”

Zachary’s story has touched strangers.

Kate Morgan, executive director of the Arkansas-based Southwest Service Dogs, first became aware of Zachary’s story when his mother called to apply for one of their specially trained dogs.

The dogs are trained and provided free of charge to help clients retrieve items or to simply move from one spot to the next.

At first, Morgan said her organization wasn’t equipped to place a dog in Oklahoma. Then she heard about Zachary’s rare disease.

Morgan drove five hours from Clarksville, Ark., to Stillwater with a van full of dogs shortly thereafter to find a canine fit for Zachary. He picked a gentle golden retriever named Hobbs.

“I drove home that night from Stillwater crying,” Morgan said. “I do this 24 hours a day, seven days a week and I don’t get paid. Seeing Zachary with that dog, that was my paycheck.”

A few days later, Morgan was given three yellow Labradors as a gift. She named the largest one Zachary Moore.

mranderson
12-30-2004, 03:33 PM
I do not know if I know of a more brave group of children. These kids probably know their fate and still will show you a great deal of love and compassion.

I see programs that show these kids having a lot of fun at parties, and being really upbeat with their medical staff.

My heart goes out to those brave souls. I wish we were all as brave.