View Full Version : LIT proposes music mural

Pages : [1] 2

metro
05-23-2007, 07:18 AM
Did anyone catch the JR article last week about LIT gallery and rooftop bar proposing to paint a music mural on their west wall. It would pay tribute to famous Oklahoman musicians such as the Flaming Lips (appropriate being on Flaming Lips alley), Charlie Christian and others. The idea was presented to the Bricktown Design and Review Committee and they seemed hesitant to the idea. They suggested possible other artists Carrie Underwood, Toby Keith, etc. Personally I like the idea and don't think they should have to go under such ignorant scrutiny. Especially since LIT is more of a modern hip bar and gallery and not some honky tonk. I don't think country artists should be predominantly displayed on their building. Heck, we all know most of the city council and Bricktown Design board didn't know who the Lips were until the recent alley naming controversy. Because of their ignorance, they are recommending the Arts Council of OKC review the proposed mural to deem if it is "appropriate" or not.

If someone has the article, please post it, otherwise I'll try to dig it up later this week and manually type it in.

Personally I feel we need more murals and public art and we need a smoother process for public art.

jbrown84
05-23-2007, 08:47 AM
That's ridiculous.

That's like saying, "no, LIT, we would prefer you play country music because thats what people are familiar with".

okclee
05-23-2007, 09:33 AM
At least they are smart enough to pass it off to the Arts Council of Okc for the review.

If Okc wants a country western mural, they can paint it on the side of Toby Keiths restaurant or on the Fish and Bait Warehouse.

metro
05-23-2007, 04:03 PM
I agree. Anyhow looks like no one posted the JR article so I'll manually retype it since I don't have online JR access. There is a rendering so someone please post it!! It's May 10th, 2007 issue.

Mural proposed in Bricktown
by Kelly Chambers
Journal Record
Oklahoma City- The LiT Lounge in Bricktown may soon get a face-lift in the form of a mural on its west side depicting the faces of music celebrities with Oklahoma roots.

On Wednesday the Bricktown Urban Design committee looked at a rendering of the proposed mural to get an idea of the famous faces the owners of the bar hope will grace one of its exterior walls.

Some members of the committee, however, said they would like a review by the Oklahoma City Arts Commission before any paint is slapped on the wall.

Committee members said they would like several deserving musicians represented. The Oklahoma City based Flaming Lips, depicted in the rendering, would likely be a shoe-in since the bar backs up to Flaming Lips Alley.

Others depicted in the rendering by Oklahoma City artist J.R. Feuerborn included Bob Wills, Woody Guthrie, and Charlie Christian.

Other suggestions included adding country singers Vince Gill and Carrie Underwood.

The committee approved a two-month continuance to give the Arts Commission time to review the matter and for the bar owners to secure licensing rights to use the musicians' likenesses.

John
05-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Don't forget to add Color Me Badd! :D

jdsplaypin
05-23-2007, 04:55 PM
all american rejects... kind of more LIT oriented than Ms. Underwood (i'm not suggesting i like the AAR either)

metro
05-23-2007, 09:03 PM
I agree jdsplaypin, and Hinder would be another good one too. Would fit in more with LiT and Bricktown for that matter.

dismayed
05-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Some on the council and various other city governing groups have a personal vendetta against the Lips because of their open criticism of the war in Iraq. I wonder if this is what the hesitation is all about.

jbrown84
05-24-2007, 08:29 AM
I would prefer them avoid "new" artists like Carrie and especially Hinder, just in case they fizzle out.

ksearls
05-24-2007, 08:54 AM
The council doesn't have anything to do with the Bricktown Urban Design Committee. The members are Tom Wilson (Chair), Avis Scaramucci (Vice-Chair), Bob Bright, Marsh Pitman, John M. Yoeckel.

Here is the agenda item, when I get the minutes next month I will share them.

3A. BCA‑07-003, at 209 Flaming Lips Alley. Consideration and possible action on an application for a Bricktown Certificate of Approval by M. Lane Peyton, LiT Lounge, for Joe S. Wylie, to (1) add awnings; and (2) add mural.

bricktownlife
05-24-2007, 09:40 AM
Couple questions:

1. What's the lifespan of an outdoor mural? I'm not a outdoor paint expert, but has anyone contemplated what happens when all of our new murals fade?
2. What's wrong with appreciating the natural and diverse colors of our existing brick buildings? (Or the names of our Bricktown streets, for that matter?) Why is it that we want to repaint (and rename) everything that exists within our "historical district"?
3. When do "murals" become "graffiti"?

Kind of sad...

ACOKC
05-24-2007, 09:41 AM
I personally think the mural is a great idea- public art can be a good thing when done correctly. The Arts Council of Oklahoma City doesn't get to make decisions like this. The Arts Commission determines public art for the city, but it appears the Bricktown Urban Design Committee will weigh in on this one.

CuatrodeMayo
05-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Couple questions:

1. What's the lifespan of an outdoor mural? I'm not a outdoor paint expert, but has anyone contemplated what happens when all of our new murals fade?
2. What's wrong with appreciating the natural and diverse colors of our existing brick buildings? (Or the names of our Bricktown streets, for that matter?) Why is it that we want to repaint (and rename) everything that exists within our "historical district"?

Kind of sad...

Right on.

Personally, I would like to see graffiti. Graffiti would mesh better with the more urban and "hip" feel of LIT. Woohoo...another mural. Same ol, same ol. Once again, lets do what everybody else does.

Forgive me, Underwood fans, but really...she won a "reality" TV contest. Being an artificial star doesn't earn you a spot on a wall in Bricktown.

jbrown84
05-24-2007, 01:02 PM
What's your beef?

You paint over them or give them a touch up. Not rocket science.

That's quite the hyperbole. There's what, like 3 murals in Bricktown? A nameless alley was named after a world famous band from Oklahoma. There is plenty of Brick still showing and plenty of streets that haven't changed.

When they are painted without the permission of the building owner and other authorities. Again, doesn't take a rocket scientist...

Kind of sad...

Oh, so public art is sad now??

metro
05-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Well said jbrown. Entire downtown has what, probably less than 5 murals in all of downtown, maybe 1 in Bricktown that I can think of. This proposed one would be two to my knowledge. If anything public art enhances the quality of life. With bricktownlife's point of view, I guess the real big, hip modern cities must be garbage. I just got back from Philadelphia. Many locals call it the city of murals, they have over 2500 murals in the city, most in the inner city/downtown area. Keep in mind, Philadelphia is the oldest city in our country and where our country was founded. Many of the houses and buildings still in tact are 200+ years old. And guess what, many of them have murals painted on them. They're lovely IMO. I'll try and post some pictures soon to show you. Even though I've currently not been involved with any public murals, etc. in this city, I'm trying to get an initiative started here in OKC for more murals and public art.

jbrown84
05-24-2007, 01:28 PM
I took this in San Antonio. It's the side of a hospital.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/martymcflyjb/n79800335_30326425_5419.jpg

Matt
05-24-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm all for re-naming streets and having something pretty to look at instead of a bunch of bricks.

This town needs more character--stuff like this will go a long way in that department.

CuatrodeMayo
05-24-2007, 03:33 PM
That mural, I believe is a mosaic. There is a great story behind it.

A mural doesn't even go with the style of LIT.

Elliott + Associates Architects (http://e-a-a.com/commercial/lit.html)

instead of a bunch of bricks.

So lets call it "PrettyTown" instead.

John
05-24-2007, 03:46 PM
A mural doesn't even go with the style of LIT.

LiT is also an art gallery. How does a mural not fit in with a bar that doubles as a gallery?

CuatrodeMayo
05-24-2007, 03:49 PM
It is a gallery for "Sophisticated" (for lack of a better term) art, Not the folksy mural style. If there is going to be a mural, it needs some edge.

Matt
05-24-2007, 04:16 PM
So lets call it "PrettyTown" instead.

I like it.

I'd wager that, even with a mural or two, there will still be plenty of bricks for people to look at down in PrettyTown.

dismayed
05-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Does anyone else remember the graffiti wall in downtown OKC that was there like 15 years ago? I remember it was a big collage of many different things, including Bart Simpson.

Nixon7
05-24-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm not a fan of these huge murals. I suppose if it is done right, it could look good. Also, isn't there one that is suppose to be painted on the north end of the canal? I think I saw a rendering and thought it looked kinda tacky. Hopefully it will look good.

jbrown84
05-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Who said it was going to be a "folksy" mural? Do you really think the owners of lit are going to propose a mural that is not within the modern, edgy style of their establishment? There's a reason they included Charlie Christian and The Flaming Lips, and not Vince Gill.

kmf563
05-25-2007, 09:41 AM
I agree that LIT would not put up something that didn't match their overall theme. They are known for being artistic and showcasing local artists. Why would a mural NOT work? I highly doubt they want to do something "pretty" like rainbows, butterflies, and puppies. We aren't talking about painting the entire bricktown area...just LIT. Besides...did everyone start calling it pretty-buffalo-town when all of those retarded (sorry) buffalos were put up on every corner? (I know I'll get it for that one...our state animal or whatever. Just my opinion - they look retarded.) I like the idea of a mural and would grab a brush and help.

jbrown84
05-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Besides...did everyone start calling it pretty-buffalo-town when all of those retarded (sorry) buffalos were put up on every corner?

Don't apologize. They are tacky as hell. Now that's folksy. Has nothing to do with the fact that they are bison.

bricktownlife
05-25-2007, 07:43 PM
What's your beef?

You paint over them or give them a touch up. Not rocket science.

That's quite the hyperbole. There's what, like 3 murals in Bricktown? A nameless alley was named after a world famous band from Oklahoma. There is plenty of Brick still showing and plenty of streets that haven't changed.

When they are painted without the permission of the building owner and other authorities. Again, doesn't take a rocket scientist...

Oh, so public art is sad now??

Well first, jbrown84, what's your definition of public art? I would define public art as any art that's accessible to the public, contrasted to a private collection that's on display in a person's home. I've always thought that public art could be found in museums, art galleries, and parks. OKC has terrific public art, including permanent and traveling exhibits at the OKC Museum of Art, IAO, Untitled Art, and in Paseo. In fact, OKC's downtown even has some pretty intriguing outdoor sculptures. So, I'm not against public art. In fact, I believe art is critically important to any community, including OKC.

But I guess I'm a little curious about people's obsession with painting murals on walls in Bricktown. Do you have the same desire to paint murals on Downtown's First National Bank Building, on Western Avenue's Will Rogers Theater, or on your own house? Probably not. But based on your definition, if it's painted on an outdoor wall, then it's public art, right? Funny, but I'm pretty sure that you (or your neighbors) wouldn't be as enthusiastic about painting murals on every exterior wall in the neighborhood.

So why are we so driven to paint murals in Bricktown?

metro
05-25-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm not a fan of these huge murals. I suppose if it is done right, it could look good. Also, isn't there one that is suppose to be painted on the north end of the canal? I think I saw a rendering and thought it looked kinda tacky. Hopefully it will look good.

Actually it will be a mural although it will be made of Mosaic Tile

jbrown84
05-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Well first, jbrown84, what's your definition of public art? I would define public art as any art that's accessible to the public, contrasted to a private collection that's on display in a person's home. I've always thought that public art could be found in museums, art galleries, and parks. OKC has terrific public art, including permanent and traveling exhibits at the OKC Museum of Art, IAO, Untitled Art, and in Paseo.

Nope. From wikipedia:

The term public art properly refers to works of art in any media that has been planned and executed with the specific intention of being sited or staged in the public domain, usually outside and accessible to all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_art

I've never heard of anything indoors being considered public art, especially if you have to pay to see it.

But I guess I'm a little curious about people's obsession with painting murals on walls in Bricktown. Do you have the same desire to paint murals on Downtown's First National Bank Building, on Western Avenue's Will Rogers Theater, or on your own house? Probably not. But based on your definition, if it's painted on an outdoor wall, then it's public art, right? Funny, but I'm pretty sure that you (or your neighbors) wouldn't be as enthusiastic about painting murals on every exterior wall in the neighborhood.

So why are we so driven to paint murals in Bricktown?

The reason Bricktown is different from the side of First National or my house is because it's an eclectic entertainment district. If you've ever been inside LIT, you know that whatever they have planned will be classy, modern, and cool.

maestro
05-29-2007, 04:06 PM
The proposed mural seemed like a good cross-section of music to me. I know Underwood won a contest, but didn't she also win grammys this year?

In any case, I applaud the owners of LIT for the effort.

smacketyanne
06-01-2007, 11:16 PM
I vote Yes to a new mural. Good Luck Guys!

BDP
06-02-2007, 10:13 AM
I agree. The mural sounds cool. Of course, you can't really say without seeing it, but on the surface, I don't see how a mural of important musicians from the area wouldn't be appropriate for an entertainment district. It's almost strange that we don't have one yet.

I also think it's good that they've focused on some of the ones that aren't quite appreciated as much here as they are in many parts of the world. Let's face it, many artists leave simply because they aren't supported here. This would at least be one small way to let them know that they are appreciated back home as well.

Easy180
06-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Heading there tonight w/ a group of friends for a grad celebration...Hope the weather is nice enough to hang out up top

Favorite place to be in the spring and summer and the beer prices are pretty good

ksearls
06-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Minutes from BT Urban Design. On to the Arts Commission

III. CASES FOR INDIVIDUAL CONSIDERATION

3A. BCA 07-003, at 209 Flaming Lips Alley. Consideration and possible action on an application for a Bricktown Certificate of Approval by M. Lane Peyton, LiT Lounge, for Joe S. Wylie, to (1) add awnings; and (2) add mural.

Mr. Brian Barnes appeared for the applicant. He submitted color renderings of the proposed mural. Mr. Rob Lewis, Parks Department, spoke about the Arts Commission process.

APPROVED, in part. Motion: Scaramucci / Bright to approve item (1) of BCA 07-003. Ayes: Wilson, Scaramucci, Bright. Nays: None. Absent: Pitman, Yoeckel.

REFERRED and CONTINUED, in part. Motion: Scaramucci / Bright to refer item (2) of BCA 07-003 to the Oklahoma City Arts Commission, and continue it for two months. Ayes: Wilson, Scaramucci, Bright. Nays: None. Absent: Pitman, Yoeckel.

CuatrodeMayo
06-11-2007, 09:04 AM
So in English, this means it is partially approved?

ksearls
06-11-2007, 09:10 AM
I think what this means is it has to be approved by the Arts Commission first, then it will come back to the BT Design Comm for approval.

TheImmortal
06-11-2007, 09:15 AM
What I got out of it is that once the Oklahoma City Arts Commission grants their approval of the mural, then it is a go.

ksearls
06-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Part one was approved (the awnings) Part two was REFERRED (to the Arts Comm)and CONTINUED (which means it comes back to them for approval. They want to see what the Arts Comm will say about it before they approve)

John
06-11-2007, 11:04 AM
I'd like to see the rendering...

Anyone have access to it?

jbrown84
06-11-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm glad they are going through all the steps to make sure this is a good mural. I don't doubt it is in this case, but if Jim Brewer were wanting to put up a mural of the Mathis Brothers we'd all be glad there's so much red tape.

maestro
06-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Amen to that!

SpectralMourning
06-11-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm glad they are going through all the steps to make sure this is a good mural. I don't doubt it is in this case, but if Jim Brewer were wanting to put up a mural of the Mathis Brothers we'd all be glad there's so much red tape.

...You're saying you wouldn't enjoy that?!

metro
06-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I'd love a huge mural on the side of Harkins with Larry Mathis in his Lazy Boy and his dog on a Natuzzi couch. That would scream Urban!

jbrown84
06-11-2007, 11:01 PM
The south side of Harkins is missing something...

CuatrodeMayo
06-12-2007, 07:17 AM
The south side of Harkins is missing something...
It's going to be a lovely facade on the new Boulevard.

OKC PATROL
06-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Right on.

Personally, I would like to see graffiti. Graffiti would mesh better with the more urban and "hip" feel of LIT. Woohoo...another mural. Same ol, same ol. Once again, lets do what everybody else does.

Forgive me, Underwood fans, but really...she won a "reality" TV contest. Being an artificial star doesn't earn you a spot on a wall in Bricktown.

I almost have a MFA at OU and I believe that the graffiti idea would be so euro and very advanced. You can find Graffiti art or outside installations all over Amsterdam, Brugge/Antwerp, Berlin. Most of the art capitols of the world accept the spontaneity of its expression. Its a great idea to use the Flaming Lips along with other artists using graffiti as a movement and a technique instead of pasting on country music stars-barf. I hate the mural on the west side of the railroad tracks. It makes me sick when I visit Bricktown. I would have liked the more corporate sea life approach OKC was given but denied it. Although I despise what the artist is doing- i forget his name- where every city is dubbed as a city that has his mural, losing the originality of his work. His mural would have been a million times better. The mural we have now is a joke with all the dorky people waving as you go by- no better than frontier city. My mouth dropped when i saw it- its that bad. I wish a group of people could paint it one color over night. Why couldnt we had just left the dern thing alone and enjoyed the gray entrance. Now we have a a cheap disneyland mural to barf on. It might be our heritage, but we could have applied a better design and style than that hideous joke of an entance- Howdy partners...y'all come back now...ya' hear.

jbrown84
06-12-2007, 11:51 AM
I have no problem with the graffiti style, as long as it's not vandalism.

BDP
06-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Now we have a a cheap disneyland mural to barf on.

But it sooooo matches the Disneyland font used for the brightly lit 'Bricktown' sign on the bridges. ;)

jbrown84
06-12-2007, 02:24 PM
You don't like those Bricktown signs??

CCOKC
06-13-2007, 08:21 PM
I almost have a MFA at OU and I believe that the graffiti idea would be so euro and very advanced. You can find Graffiti art or outside installations all over Amsterdam, Brugge/Antwerp, Berlin. Most of the art capitols of the world accept the spontaneity of its expression. Its a great idea to use the Flaming Lips along with other artists using graffiti as a movement and a technique instead of pasting on country music stars-barf. I hate the mural on the west side of the railroad tracks. It makes me sick when I visit Bricktown. I would have liked the more corporate sea life approach OKC was given but denied it. Although I despise what the artist is doing- i forget his name- where every city is dubbed as a city that has his mural, losing the originality of his work. His mural would have been a million times better. The mural we have now is a joke with all the dorky people waving as you go by- no better than frontier city. My mouth dropped when i saw it- its that bad. I wish a group of people could paint it one color over night. Why couldnt we had just left the dern thing alone and enjoyed the gray entrance. Now we have a a cheap disneyland mural to barf on. It might be our heritage, but we could have applied a better design and style than that hideous joke of an entance- Howdy partners...y'all come back now...ya' hear.

The artists name is Weyland.

OKC PATROL
06-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Thankyou for the name. I had remembered it actually sounded like a Whale and how it was the 'subject' of his work. But I forgot. I saw a rather impressive rendering in Honolulu that was one of his first. His art has turned from public art to corporate/commodity. I would toss him in with Kincaid and Chihuly. It still would have been better than the hokie dokie mural we have now. I am a big OKC supporter in the arts and the city. I definitely hate to bust up my own town, but I am getting sick of people not having a good understanding of contemporary art around here. Everyone thinks post-modernism/installations/performance art is still wacky. Although we have IAO and OVAC and a good underground scene. The city still needs to make a jump into current thinking within the arts. I cant imagine what many would think of my marine biology-science based art. Conceptual art still confuses many around here. LOL

CuatrodeMayo
06-14-2007, 07:15 AM
Thankyou for the name. I had remembered it actually sounded like a Whale and how it was the 'subject' of his work. But I forgot. I saw a rather impressive rendering in Honolulu that was one of his first. His art has turned from public art to corporate/commodity. I would toss him in with Kincaid and Chihuly. It still would have been better than the hokie dokie mural we have now. I am a big OKC supporter in the arts and the city. I definitely hate to bust up my own town, but I am getting sick of people not having a good understanding of contemporary art around here. Everyone thinks post-modernism/installations/performance art is still wacky. Although we have IAO and OVAC and a good underground scene. The city still needs to make a jump into current thinking within the arts. I cant imagine what many would think of my marine biology-science based art. Conceptual art still confuses many around here. LOL

:iagree:

metro
06-14-2007, 08:26 AM

I disagree, I love post-modernism, mid-century modern, installations and more. I'm born and raised here. I know plenty of Oklahoman's who appreciate this type of stuff, so to say no one appreciates it and thinks it's wacky, is off-base. Could we use more of it? Sure. Perhaps you can help fund a Modern Museum of Art? I'll buy a yearly pass if you do.

Karried
06-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Are you talking Wyland, the marine life/ocean artist who paints the most spectacular undersea art/murals ever?

He has his work all over the coast of California, from Santa Cruz to Los Angeles in various studios etc ... and he has galleries in Florida and nationwide. I love his work.

I remember seeing his bronze sculptures of dolphins and other sea animals - so gorgeous. He is so talented!

jbrown84
06-14-2007, 09:16 AM
What does this Wyland guy have to do with OKC?

OKC PATROL
06-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Metro- The general pop has a very bad understanding of what art is. Period. That is why I used the word wacky. Instead of wacky I will use 'over their heads'. Many Paseo artists enjoy and understand art past 1960. But the majority hit brick walls when discussing Contemporary forms. Many of our local artists dont accept art past 1980. It doesnt mean they are not sophisticated it just means they feel 'art can only go so far'. Oh- we already have a so-called MODERN MUSEUM. Its called the Chihuly Museum of Commodification. Which I support yearly with my useless membership.

Karried- Wyland was a better choice, in my opinion, for the city at the time. The artist was going to paint it for free with help from local students. I enjoy his work way more than I enjoy the current mural. The problem was the city actually decided against the proposal because the city felt like it was too commercialized(which is good thinking). And that we would get a better mural later depicting our heritage. Well....we got it. And now I would give anything to have a Wyland mural where the current mural is.

Jbrown84- Wyland is an artist who hits many major cities with his murals. He was a huge hit in Cali and Hawaii. But many felt his murals stamped his signature on a city and that it made the image of the city worse.

John
06-14-2007, 03:43 PM
What does this Wyland guy have to do with OKC?

He was going to paint a mural on the east side of the railroad bridge by the canal...

It was vetoed, unfortunately.

metro
11-15-2007, 07:26 AM
Bricktown wall mural plan on hold

November 15, 2007
The Journal Record

OKLAHOMA CITY – Bricktown is all for murals, but what goes up on one of the district’s walls is a bit more specific. At the Bricktown Urban Design Committee meeting Tuesday, Lane Peyton, owner of LiT Lounge, withdrew a proposal for a music-themed mural on the west-facing wall of his club at 209 Flaming Lips Alley with plans to submit a new version in the future.

Earlier this year, a design for the wall was submitted to the committee that depicted Oklahoma artists, including the Flaming Lips. At the committee’s meeting in May several committee members criticized the choice of musicians depicted in a conceptual drawing.Peyton said the drawing that was presented was not a true depiction of what he hopes will eventually adorn the wall. The original conceptual drawing depicted musicians presented in portrait-type boxes. Avis Scaramucci, vice-chairwoman of the committee and LiT’s neighbor to the west across Mickey Mantle Drive, suggested Peyton come up with a design that would highlight a gathering of Oklahoma City’s musical talent in a format to complement Bricktown.“I think it’s a great idea and I get to see it every day,” she said.

Any artwork will also have to receive approval from the Arts Commission. John Calhoun, with the Oklahoma City Planning Department, said the artwork could not be solely an advertisement.

Nevertheless, a sponsorship logo on the mural is allowed, limited to 10 percent of the surface space

kmf563
11-15-2007, 08:41 AM
What does that even mean? They want it to be more conservative? ....and sponsorship logos?! aye. guess they will want to put oklahoma in the name somewhere too won't they. :doh:

metro
11-15-2007, 09:55 AM
I wish the committee was made up of some citizens and the arts commission has to be involved? If Lit wants just a mural of Oklahoma rockers than let them. The committee won't let them do it unless Charlie Christian and at least one country artist is on it. Heaven forbid we have another homage to our country artists. It's a freakin club and art venue for crying out loud, let Toby Keith do a mural of himself on his building if he wants to.