View Full Version : Park Harvey update

metro
05-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Well I went to the Park Harvey ribbon cutting ceremony today. It was well attended and somewhat informative. Saw ksearls and a few others there. Anyhow at the street level, the windows are covered with nice vinyl signs displaying the name of the building, directions to downtown attractions, i.e. 4 blocks south to Convention Center, Arts District 2 blocks with an arrow west, etc. etc. as well as hip young professionals blown up to larger than life size. Additionally, today was also the grand opening for Park Harvey's first retail tenant, Claybourne's Haberdashery which is a "gentlemen's clothier". Basically it's an upscale men's store selling suits, shoes, shirts, etc. I met another future tenant that is currently in the construction phase in the basement; Park Harvey Athletic Club. It is a privately owned "elegant urban fitness center". It is not a free benefit for renters but a private fitness center that is open to membership outside of residents, although I'm sure they'll be giving residents a discount or something. Park Harvey Athletic Club will be a private, limited number of members, upscale gym located in the basement. I picked up some of their literature, although they do not currently have a website. I can tell you it is very elegant and upscale. Much of their equipment will feature built in Wi-Fi including a viewing screen and internet access. The equipment will also include MP3 player integration capabilities. Another tenant I found out about is a law firm moving in on the ground floor (not too impressed here, waste of valuable space IMO). There will be one additional retail space that is currently still up for lease.

As far as the interior of the building goes, the lobby is rather plain and will remain so due to Tanenbaum going after historic tax credits. This is why he can't change the exterior or much of the interior common spaces. The apartments are fairly nice and they have 4 or so layouts ranging from very small studios to two bed/two bath apartments. I can tell you the units on the SW corner will feature some of the best views downtown, period. These units have excellent views of the downtown library, civic center, the new Galleria parking garage (which is really a great view) as well as the Myriad Gardens in the distance (should OKC build our version of Central Park, these views will be even better). The ceilings have an exposed type look and feature conduit and other fixtures, however it was all painted white. The rest of the apartments as fairly suburban in nature and are nothing out of the ordinary new suburban apartments. The countertops feature Formica laminate, nothing fancy. All in all I guess for the money, it's a decent deal, especially if you get a unit with a view. The NE and SE apartments don't feature much of a view since they are so close to the exterior of the back of the Leadership Square building.

I'll post pics soon.

Midtowner
06-02-2007, 07:41 AM
I was downtown doing something at the court house, had some time left on my meter, so I decided to take a tour.

Pros:

Very well laid out -- while these apartments aren't huge, they'll really allow you to get a decent use out of the space that you do get.

The carpet is nice.

The fixtures are great.

View = superb.

Apartments are very well lit.

They'll be hiring a door man to help residents with loading/unloading things into their cars. There'll be special loading/unloading parking right in front of the building for residents. So if you were worried about making a painful trek through the COTPA garage off of Harvey, all the way across Park, up some elevators, etc., put your worries aside :)

Cons:

No w/d hookups. They have a COIN-OP!!! laundromat. For this kind of money, they ought to at least offer a keycard or something to run the laundromat. Paying the high-ish rent, then having to pay for washing your clothes afterwards (when similarly priced apartments come with these hookups) is just weird. I guess if I was single and looking to expand my social rolodex, I'd like this because I'd have a chance to basically meet everyone in the building. There's a nice lounge right off of the laundromat which they will allow you to book your social functions in. There's also a ginormous TV in there.

Parking: I was told that "no downtown apartments included parking." I actually had to correct the tour-guy -- The Park Harvey is the ONLY apartment complex I'm aware of which doesn't provide at least one spot. They have a deal worked out with the new COTPA garages on the other side of Park where you only have to pay I think $50 if your car will be gone 9 to 5. Otherwise, you'll be shelling out $75/month per parking place.

___

For me, the w/d lack of hookups is a deal killer. The parking and other issues I could handle. I've always had a w/d in the home. I would not know how to function otherwise.

Doug Loudenback
06-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Did either of you notice what they've done with the windows? I officed on the 5th floor for many years and my specific office was on the SW corner ... when the wind kicked up a few notches (not too infrequently) I could hear the wind "whisteling" through! Most of the windows were not in very good shape.

Just wondering ...

metro
06-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Didn't notice any changes to the windows, other than they Windex'd them. I don't think they replaced them at all. I'm opposite of Mid, although he has a point. I could live without the in unit washers and dryers however the parking would kill me. I understand it's downtown and all, but as he said, I think it's the only apartment complex NOT offering parking for free. It would cost my wife and I $150 a month just for parking on top of the semi-high rent. For the money, I'd go to Deep Deuce although I'd much rather be in a high rise.

Midtowner
06-03-2007, 08:34 PM
metro, for the rent they're charging, they could pretty easily offer valet parking for residents. I know they're already offering doormen to help load/unload cars, so why not valet parking?

As for free parking, correct me if I'm wrong, but the apartments I've looked into -- the Regency Tower and the Legacy both give you ONE free spot -- the other one you must pay for. Off the top of my head, I think Legacy wants $75/month for the extra space. I'd imagine Regency is around that as well.

BailJumper
06-03-2007, 09:20 PM
At least at the Regency the spaces are big enough for two cars to park in one space (in front of one another - which can be a pain).

jbrown84
06-03-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm opposite of Mid, although he has a point. I could live without the in unit washers and dryers however the parking would kill me. I understand it's downtown and all, but as he said, I think it's the only apartment complex NOT offering parking for free. It would cost my wife and I $150 a month just for parking on top of the semi-high rent. For the money, I'd go to Deep Deuce although I'd much rather be in a high rise.

After touring Deep Deuce, Legacy, and the Park Harvey--three times w/ the latter--I decided to go with the Park Harvey, and have put down a deposit. Although the parking and w/d situation made me hesitant, I wanted highrise--plus the central location between Bricktown, Midtown, Ford Center, etc. I got a deal for half off utilities for the term of the lease (1 year), so it's only $32.50 a year. I don't work downtown, so parking will only be $50. Legacy was ruled out easily on price alone, but it was aimed at a much older demo anyway. Deep Deuce was nice, and had free parking (and much safer on-street parking) as well as w/d, BUT it cost about the same for a 1 bedroom there as it did for a Studio+parking+utilities at PH and the PH Studio is almost 100 sf bigger than the 1-bed at DD. So the only catch is laundry, but I'm just out of college, so the prospect of coin-op laundry room isn't so bad, and if I decide I don't like it, I can always to laundry on the weekends at the 'rents.

PUGalicious
06-04-2007, 03:47 AM
After touring Deep Deuce, Legacy, and the Park Harvey--three times w/ the latter--I decided to go with the Park Harvey, and have put down a deposit. Although the parking and w/d situation made me hesitant, I wanted highrise--plus the central location between Bricktown, Midtown, Ford Center, etc. I got a deal for half off utilities for the term of the lease (1 year), so it's only $32.50 a year. I don't work downtown, so parking will only be $50. Legacy was ruled out easily on price alone, but it was aimed at a much older demo anyway. Deep Deuce was nice, and had free parking (and much safer on-street parking) as well as w/d, BUT it cost about the same for a 1 bedroom there as it did for a Studio+parking+utilities at PH and the PH Studio is almost 100 sf bigger than the 1-bed at DD. So the only catch is laundry, but I'm just out of college, so the prospect of coin-op laundry room isn't so bad, and if I decide I don't like it, I can always to laundry on the weekends at the 'rents.
Out of curiosity, have you taken any pictures of the Park Harvey space? Maybe I missed them. I'd love to see what it looks like in one of those studios.

Karried
06-04-2007, 06:42 AM
I got a deal for half off utilities for the term of the lease (1 year), so it's only $32.50 a year.

Wow that utility bill is awesome. That helps offset the parking fee.

When we moved and the washing machine and dryer was on a moving truck ( for days longer than expected) I went to the laundromat, it was kind of cool to have everything done and over with in one shot. In just a few hours, entire family had all of our clothes washed and folded.. opposed to doing laundry constantly.

Something else I do remember is this poor lady had just finished all of her clothes, all folded neatly and piled high on a cart and was taking them out to her car in the rain.. her cart tipped over into a huge muddy puddle. It was so sad. Might watch out for those carts.

Congrats on your new apartment!!!!

jbrown84
06-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Out of curiosity, have you taken any pictures of the Park Harvey space? Maybe I missed them. I'd love to see what it looks like in one of those studios.

Not yet, but I do have some of the outside with huge ads that cover all the windows.

Wow that utility bill is awesome. That helps offset the parking fee.

When we moved and the washing machine and dryer was on a moving truck ( for days longer than expected) I went to the laundromat, it was kind of cool to have everything done and over with in one shot. In just a few hours, entire family had all of our clothes washed and folded.. opposed to doing laundry constantly.

Congrats on your new apartment!!!!

Thanks! Yeah, that utilities deal is a really good one. Even set at $65 is a good deal because I think most places would just send you all the bills.

I tend to really procrastinate and drag out my laundry--like leaving a load in the dryer for a couple days, then finally going back and running it through again for 10 minutes and then folding. Like you say, this should help me just get it done.

Karried
06-04-2007, 08:24 AM
I tend to really procrastinate and drag out my laundry--like leaving a load in the dryer for a couple days, then finally going back and running it through again for 10 minutes and then folding

lol, I thought I was the only one who does the ironing that way!

Yeah, even $65 is wonderful..

Does that include water/sewer costs? What about Waste management? That's probably all included in the rent right?

Anyway you look at it, that's a phenomonal deal on utilities.

You can run your A/C all summer and it will still only be $32... ? That's unbelievable. I would have to add a zero to the end of that some months.

hipsterdoofus
06-04-2007, 08:27 AM
Did either of you notice what they've done with the windows? I officed on the 5th floor for many years and my specific office was on the SW corner ... when the wind kicked up a few notches (not too infrequently) I could hear the wind "whisteling" through! Most of the windows were not in very good shape.

Doug, I haven't been inside, but it looks to me like they possibly put new tint on all the windows, from outside. They look more silvery than they used to. I seem to recall when I worked in the building that once someone left a window open when a storm came in from the south, wind hit the building and took the window clean off. I wouldn't want to be hit with one of those suckers, they were quite heavy.

I wonder if it would be possible to get in to take a look. I haven't been inside for quite some time...Also, I love the treat of riding the elevator...its like going on an amusement part ride - 17 floors in like 12 seconds!

Midtowner
06-04-2007, 08:31 AM
You can drop in anytime and take the tour. They're very accommodating.

hipsterdoofus
06-04-2007, 08:36 AM
You can drop in anytime and take the tour. They're very accommodating.

Thats great...I'd especially like to take a look since I used to work there....

CuatrodeMayo
06-04-2007, 09:02 AM
That laundry deal is a sure negative for me. I have a similar situation now where I have to walk down the alley a block to do laundry. $1.25 to wash and $1 to dry. It's not THAT bad, but I sure don't like having to walk that far and pay that much. I suppose and elevator ride would be better, but like was said before, with that kind of rent, it should be free.

Jbrown, What floor and floorplan did you get?

Midtowner
06-04-2007, 09:03 AM

And just so we know exactly, which apartment number did you get?
;)

jbrown84
06-04-2007, 09:12 AM

The smallest. It's a studio, about 585 SF if I remember right. The kitchen is all along one wall, then there is a big living/bedroom, a good size bathroom, and a closet that's as big or bigger than the bathroom. I figure I will have all the "mess" back in the closet, including my dirty clothes and maybe even my dresser. That way I can keep the main room cleaner.

You can run your A/C all summer and it will still only be $32... ? That's unbelievable. I would have to add a zero to the end of that some months.

Yeah, I thought it was a great deal.

Also, I love the treat of riding the elevator...its like going on an amusement part ride - 17 floors in like 12 seconds!

It is a FAST elevator. Gives me that roller coaster feeling every time.

Oh, and it's on the 6th floor south side, with Myriad Gardens and First National views.

hipsterdoofus
06-04-2007, 09:19 AM
I used to work on the 17th floor southside - I was up there looking out the south window on May 3rd, 1999, hoping the tornadoes weren't heading for me...

metro
01-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Posh Park Harvey Athletic club opens
The Journal Record
January 7, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – Many people who live and work in or near downtown Oklahoma City may also want to stay fit and work out downtown.

Based on more urban residents and the number of existing workers downtown, one group of developers decided to open an athletic club where membership is limited and amenities are aplenty.

The Park Harvey Athletic Club opened in late November in the lower level of the Park Harvey Apartment Building and plans to hold its grand opening this week. But the owners didn’t want the club to just be a place to work out. After descending the stairs into the card-accessed club, members are greeted by dark wood floors and columns, plush furniture, flat-screen televisions hanging from nearly every wall and a smoothie bar.

Brian Calvin, one of the owners and the managing member, said he wanted to create an environment where not everyone is there to exercise.“It’s a health club so we wanted people to come in and get healthy,” he said. “We also wanted them to hang out, check their e-mail or have a smoothie.“It doesn’t look like a hard gym,” he said. “It has a home feel.”The club offers private, corporate and Park Harvey resident memberships ranging from $69 to $129 a month.

Calvin said membership is currently at about 100, and the club has signed two corporate accounts. The club has not determined where it will cap membership yet, but said it will be limited for the sole reason of allowing members to exercise and use the equipment without having to wait during busy times.

The club also strives to pamper its customers with perks such as the smoothie bar, private lockers and toiletry items available in the locker rooms.

The total cost to renovate the 12,000-square-foot space and add fitness machines, tanning beds and other renovations had a price tag of about $1.5 million.

Garry Adams, another one of the clubs owners, said they have not had a problem convincing people to join the upscale club. Adams said the club works to extol the benefits of a healthy lifestyle in a smartly appointed club and making the time to fit exercise into a busy schedule.“The benefits we’re trying to get across is working a healthy lifestyle into a work routine and fitting it into people’s schedules,” he said.

And while the YMCA has had a presence in downtown for years, with a Midtown location set to open next month, the owners of the Park Harvey club are hoping to draw from an expected continued influx of downtown residents.

In a Strategic Action Plan for 2010 completed by several entities including Downtown OKC Inc. in 2001, one of the goals was to facilitate the development of 2,000 new housing units.

In the past year several projects have come online to provide that downtown housing, including the 162-unit Park Harvey and the 303-unit Legacy at Arts Quarter.

Midtowner
01-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Wow... our gym just down the street (Bodywerx over at the Legacy Arts) is only $45ish/month.

HOT ROD
01-07-2008, 09:17 AM
this is nice, having health clubs open up all over downtown!! That should DEFINITELY move OKC up into the health city list (especially with the mayor's initiative, the trails and bike routes, etc coming online)..

Also, I like the varying price points and offerability. Here in Seattle, we have the Washington Athletic Club (which is similar to Park Harvey), so you in OKC have joined an elite club of cities that have upscale Athletic clubs in their downtown.

Kudos and keep up the good work Oklahoma City.

jbrown84
01-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Wow... our gym just down the street (Bodywerx over at the Legacy Arts) is only $45ish/month.

This place is leagues and bounds nicer. Think country club. Wood paneling.

hipsterdoofus
01-07-2008, 10:45 AM
this is nice, having health clubs open up all over downtown!! That should DEFINITELY move OKC up into the health city list

More likely it will make money for the places but just as has always happened, people will pay for memberships and not use them.

shane453
01-07-2008, 06:20 PM
It will still help with the lists because they're based simply on having health clubs. And how many fast food places per mile. BS like that.

PLANSIT
02-25-2008, 01:15 PM
A little update, as I am about to move in to a studio/grand studio.

- Depending on which side the windows face, studio units range from $565 for lower floors to to $695 for floors 15-17 @ ~582 sq. ft. Utilities are a flat $65 (includes gas, elec, trash, sewer) plus add $50 if the unit faces west. (West is the most desirable. However, I found >10th floor North and South views are pretty awesome)

- Grand studio units range from $660 for lower floors to $810 for floors 15-17. There are two floor plans with either 637 or 653 sq. ft. Utilities are a flat $85 (same as above) and add $50 for west faces views.

- Gaijin opens very soon (March or April I believe) and will be open till 2 am on weekends! It will also have direct access from the apartment lobby.

- You can paint your apartment any color you like as long as you paint it back when you leave, or they will take your deposit.

- Apartments themselves are pretty nice. Tall ceilings and new appliances along with huge bathrooms and walk-in closets make for a very spacious feel even in the studio units.

- The health club in the basement (direct access via elevator) is absolutely amazing. Hard wood floors, spa, tanning beds, robes, spinners classes, brand new equipment, free weights, juice bar, sauna, and direct internet access to some of the bikes are only a few of the things available. You get 10 tans a month and 10 (i think) classes (i.e. spinners) a year.

- The best for last - If you sign a 12 month lease these will be your options :

Half off utilities per month ($85/2 = $42.50) or

Paid membership to basement health club. ($250 initial fee, plus $70 a
month). = ~ $1090 a year. or

$225 gift card to Gaijin

- Overall, it's a pretty sweet deal. Hope this helps.

-Ryan

metro
02-25-2008, 03:46 PM
I drove by Gaijin this weekend, took some pics. The awning is up and the inside is almost done. (I'll try to post pics tonight). Personally if I lived there and was planning on staying awhile (several years), I'd get a south view apartment. It currently has a real nice view of the Myriad Gardens, and would have a great view of our future "Central Park". It would be nice to lock in a contract before everyone starts demanding a central park view.

wsucougz
02-25-2008, 04:14 PM
So which one of you Park Harvey residents is the guy who got embarrassed on the news last night?

jbrown84
02-25-2008, 04:24 PM
What are you referring to?

wsucougz
02-25-2008, 05:50 PM
A resident talking about the "awesomeness" of the fire escape plan.

johnnyincog
02-25-2008, 06:24 PM
haha. nothing like an awesome evacuation plan on top of an awesome location. the kid on koco lived at the montgomery though.

Metro Fire Dept. Upgrades High-Rise Plan - Oklahoma City News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City (http://www.koco.com/news/15405528/detail.html)

video link is to the right.

metro
02-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Claybourne's Haberdashery @Park Harvey 2/22/08

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/CIMG3580.JPG

mecarr
02-25-2008, 10:07 PM
That's new, but I wonder if we need another gentleman's clothing store downtown.

Midtowner
02-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Clayborne's is very different from the other stores.

I've been in there a couple of times, he has some great stuff.

okctvnewsguy
02-26-2008, 01:50 AM
So which one of you Park Harvey residents is the guy who got embarrassed on the news last night?

It was the montgomery, that is why we shot the exterior of the montgomery :)